HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

top 10 goalies

Old
07-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Rattray

vCash: 500
Holy smokes is Luongo ever over-rated on these boards...What has the guy really done? I agree with Bletchley, if he was THAT GOOD, he would have got his team into the playoffs at least once...is that too much too ask for from an apparent "#1 goalie in the league" according to some.

Here's my list

1.Brodeur - close with Kippo but has the edge with 3 rings. Who else would you want in a game 7?

2.Kippo - strikes fear into opposing shooters, good luck scoring when hes in a groove. Could very well be the next Hasek.

3. Voukoun - Silent but violent. You dont hear much of him because he plays in Nasvhile, but he's easily on of the best in the game. The right handed trapper seems to throw shooters off a bit.

4. Ward - Ya, might seem a little bit high. But I can guarantee you that any rookie that wins a conne smythe and a stanley cup in their first year is obviously going to be a future star in this league.

5. Khabibulin - Inconsistant at times, (but so are the best of them), when the games on the line he'll come through in the clutch. Has the ring to prove it too.

6. Miller - Future monster. 40 wins in the AHL, then comes into Buffalo and steals the starting job from martin Biron. Was one game away from the Stanley Cup finals. (Which Buffalo would have won if they werent so banged up IMO)

7. Kolzig - he's still an awesome goalie. I hear all this crap about Luongo facing all these shots every game, well Kolzig does the same. You throw him on a contender and he'd be great....big goalie, more experienced, and he's actually played in a playoff game before.

8. Turco - Great regular season performer if not the best. Still has a ton to prove when it comes to the post-season. Stay tuned....

9. Luongo - Great regular season performer if not the best. Still has a ton to prove when it comes to the post-season. Stay tuned....

10. Lundvquist - Great regular season performer if not the best. Still has a ton to prove when it comes to the post-season. Stay tuned....

You get the point. Until you do something when it counts, you ain't getting squat from me.

Last edited by Rattray: 07-26-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Rattray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:11 PM
IronMosher

vCash: 430
Send a message via Yahoo to IronMosher
Why is Luongo ranked so high by some people? He's never even been to the playoffs.

IronMosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:13 PM
bigjags*

Well said, Rattray.

I'm soooooo tired. Of this Luongo crap. Most of these posters just look "ooo look he faced 50 zillion shots, he must be the best." Give your head a shakes kids. HE'S NEVER WON SQUAT!!!!

bigjags* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok101 View Post
This is my top 10 goalies entering into this year. To those saying that the younger goaltenders cannot be on this list, I say bull.

1.Miikka Kiprusoff
2.Tomas Vokoun
3.Manny Fernandez
4.Henrik Lundqvist
5.Martin Brodeur
6.Ryan Miller
7.Roberto Luongo
8.Marty Turco
9.Martin Gerber
10.Ilya Bryzgalov

HM: Rick DiPietro, Cam Ward, Kari Lehtonen, Dwayne Roloson, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, Manny Legace

Honestly, what has Henrik Lundqvist done to be ahead of Martin Brodeur? Brodeur is easily a top-2 on this list.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Rattray

If that was the case, Ron Tugnutt of the early 90's Nordiques will go down as the best goaltender in league history. He had more rubber fired at him than an East end hooker.

71 saves in a reg. season vs Boston if I recall?

Rattray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:31 PM
dok101

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post
Honestly, what has Henrik Lundqvist done to be ahead of Martin Brodeur? Brodeur is easily a top-2 on this list.
Rohan, I understand that you would have issue with my placement. But, as I attempted to emphasize by putting it in bold in my original post, this was a top 10 list of goaltenders entering into next year.

Martin Brodeur will go down as one of the best goaltenders in the history of the sport. Absolutely nothing to debate on that point. If we were to rank players based on longevity and success, then of course Martin would be ahead of Henrik.

But I was not doing that. I made the list by asking myself which goalie I'd want in net next year if I were to create an NHL roster. I listed the goalies accordingly.

Henrik is a superb talent with an impressive combination of hockey sense and athletic ability. The Rangers struck gold. There is no shame in Martin being one notch below him at this stage of his career.

dok101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
What's with so many people dissing on luongo? Just cuz he played on crappy teams his whole career doesn't change the fact he's an elite goalie. Definately top 5.

Also, anyone who's stupid enough not to have Broduer in the top 2 should start learning something about hockey.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok101 View Post
Rohan, I understand that you would have issue with my placement. But, as I attempted to emphasize by putting it in bold in my original post, this was a top 10 list of goaltenders entering into next year.

Martin Brodeur will go down as one of the best goaltenders in the history of the sport. Absolutely nothing to debate on that point. If we were to rank players based on longevity and success, then of course Martin would be ahead of Henrik.

But I was not doing that. I made the list by asking myself which goalie I'd want in net next year if I were to create an NHL roster. I listed the goalies accordingly.

Henrik is a superb talent with an impressive combination of hockey sense and athletic ability. The Rangers struck gold. There is no shame in Martin being one notch below him at this stage of his career.

Interesting take. I don't think Lundqvist has proven himself enough to be ahead of a 3 time Cup champion just yet, like we saw in the playoffs last season. Brodeur is aging, and I expect Lundqvist to surpass him as far as stats go fairly soon, but not yet, IMO. Lundqvist really flopped in the playoffs, I know a lot of that was due to a groin injury, but Brodeur also was unbeatable that series.

Old
07-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Hold the Pickles

time will tell with Luongo...

But, I find the "50 Zillion shots arguement" and the "He's never made the PO's" arguement equally invalid and overused.

No doubt RL caused some of those shots because of rebound control and not even Kipper the Great could have gotten that team into the PO's.

Last edited by Hold the Pickles: 07-26-2006 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Added quotes for readability
Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:43 PM
gocanucks676

Even as a Canucks fan I can't believe people think Luongo is better than Brodeur and Kipper at this point.

gocanucks676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy37 View Post
Even as a Canucks fan I can't believe people think Luongo is better than Brodeur and Kipper at this point.
According to AgentNaslund the only reason I ranked Kipper ahead of Luongo was because Kipper was an ex-Shark.

Old
07-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Ward has to prove that the playoffs weren't a fluke first.
Just like Lunqvist has to prove that last season wasn't a fluke. It's the same situation.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Kassassian

1. Luongo
2. Kippirusoff
3. Brouder
4. Vokoun
5. Turco
6. Roloson
7. Toskola
8. Miller
9. Bryzgalov
10. Ward

Kassassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Eric2718

I think that if Kolzig had a better team in front of him he could easily be in the top 10 IMO

Eric2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Nitty

Send a message via MSN to Nitty
1. Niittymaki
2. Miller
3. Rolonson
4. Kiprusoff
5. Brodeur
6. Luongo
7. Gerber
8. Hasek
9. Ward
10. Lehtonen

Nitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:14 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitty View Post
1. Niittymaki
2. Miller
3. Rolonson
4. Kiprusoff
5. Brodeur
6. Luongo
7. Gerber
8. Hasek
9. Ward
10. Lehtonen
Well done, Nitty.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
1) Kiprusoff
2) Broduer
3) Luongo
4) Vokoun
5) Fernandez
6) Turco
7) Lundqvist
8) Giguere
9) Miller
10) Denis

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:35 PM
heatley15

vCash:
1. Mikka Kipprusoff...no questions asked.
2. Roberto Luongo...A Change in Vancouver
3. Thomas Vokoun...Underated?
4. Ryan Miller...Proven.
5. Martin Brodeur...Just because
6. Marc-Andre Fleury...Just Wait till he gets rollin, actually already is with all the shots he gets.
7. Cam Ward...He's damn good
8. Evegeni Nabokov
9. Toskola
10. Manny Fernandez...almost put Rollie here.

Old
07-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Blindsided

My Top 10 in no specific order

Kiprusoff
Broduer
Vokoun
Turco
Luongo
Roloson
Khabibulin(even tho he was mostly injured)
Toskala
Hasek (despite being old, he still has some game left in him)
Nabokov

HM: All the young guns!!!! (Lehtonen, Niittymaki, Lundqvist, Miller, etc.)

Blindsided is offline   Reply With Quote