HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez 5 millions $$$

Old
07-26-2006, 03:35 PM
habscout

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
The NHLPA website lists Madden's 2006-07 salary as $3,892,566 which the hockeyanalysis.com website probably used to round up to their $3.9M figure. If by "wacky loadings" you mean bonuses, it shouldn't matter. The CBA forces GM's to account for their players attaining those bonuses in their calculations for their cap numbers. I believe the only exception is for the 35-year old & older players' bonuses, and even then the overages have to be applied to the next season. For example, the Thrashers have to count $1M in Peter Bondra's $1.5M bonus money from 2005-06 regardless of where he plays this season. Steve Yzerman had some similar bonuses, that caused the Red Wings to carry over $400K into this upcoming season.

I have the CBA too, but it's a difficult read to say the least. I haven't found that 10% section you mentioned, but I'll take your word for it for the sake of this discussion.

The whole Malakhov retirement/suspension issue was one of the most intriguing ones I've followed last season. Perhaps Lou dropped the ball on that one; I'd say he's allowed the occasional failure given his overall track record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Cross-checking that to my spreadsheet, one thing to note is that they seem to have Madden $1M too high relative to his real cap hit. His contract had wacky loadings in it and supposedly he's just a $2.9M hit.

Right. I still can't figure out what LL was originally thinking in that. Did he think that Malakhov retiring would take him out of the picture? Anyway, the league has made its position abundantly clear that Malakhov counts. Can his rights be traded? I guess we'll find out.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscout View Post
The NHLPA website lists Madden's 2006-07 salary as $3,892,566 which the hockeyanalysis.com website probably used to round up to their $3.9M figure. If by "wacky loadings" you mean bonuses, it shouldn't matter. The CBA forces GM's to account for their players attaining those bonuses in their calculations for their cap numbers.
No, I just mean it was a front- back- or roller-coaster loaded deal. I haven't figured out which. But all the Devils fans (the smart ones too) are adamant that he's just a $2.9M cap hit.
Quote:
I have the CBA too, but it's a difficult read to say the least. I haven't found that 10% section you mentioned, but I'll take your word for it for the sake of this discussion.
It's in there. I've seen it. But I'm not going to bleed my eyes today to look for it. Somewhere in Article 50, I expect.
Quote:
The whole Malakhov retirement/suspension issue was one of the most intriguing ones I've followed last season. Perhaps Lou dropped the ball on that one; I'd say he's allowed the occasional failure given his overall track record.
He'll be allowed anything if he gets out of this mess without trading any of his core players.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 03:56 PM
habfan4

Quote:
GMGM is certainly free to inquire. I'm sure he could get Mogilny's warm body just about as cheaply as Malakhov's cold one. But conversely, what other warm bodies is NJ going to dump on an eastern conference team with playoff aspirations? Realistically, at the end of the day, if some team is going to get a free draft pick to take Mogilny/Malakhov, I say give it to me, and probably the Caps do too. (As we say, revenue sharing impact aside).
In our debated scenario, I think that Mcphee has more leverage, in fact (absent some cap relief) anyone calling has more leverage than Lou. Now that doesn't make it certain that a deal gets done or that a specific player is moved, only that Lou won't get a decent return or he'll have to overpay someone to take away his trash (Malakhov's cap hit etc..).

Quote:
Depends on my boss. Current one, yes definitely. Past ones... not likely. There is no "signing off" on a "wink wink" deal, of course. I don't personally expect that it will come to this for LL, since I rather imagine instead that he'll find some way to dump his 3M headaches that has us all grinding our teeth in frustration at the stupidity of the GMs who helped him out. But at the same time, if it did happen that way with the players taking mega-discounts, I wouldn't be surprised either.
Time will tell how this plays for the Devils and anything is possible (including the discounts or deferred deals you proposed). It just looks to me that LL has let out more than enough rope to hand himself with, but perhaps he pulls off a Houdini (sp).

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote