Old
07-25-2006, 10:23 PM
guzzy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navdeep Gill View Post
Who is Calgary's Ales Hemsky. Young Skilled and and all around player. Kobasew
maybe.
Calgary doesn't have a skilled player like hemsky in the system. Players like him don't come around often. His only knock is he doesn't show up every game. He looks rather average on many nights. That might improve with time but who is to know at this point.

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 10:34 PM
CofRed

Quote:
maybe.
Hemsky is far from an all-around player. He's very talented, but isn't very good defensively. As for the question, cleary we don't have any young prospects as talented as Ales. I think he'll be a consistent 80 pt player if he can stay away from injuries.

CofRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 10:58 PM
kruezer

I would say our Ales Hemsky is Dion Phaneuf, just in terms of being young and skilled, we obviously don't have a young forward at Hemsky's level though.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Zimmer12

I would say a lower version of Hemsky, a less skilled version, Kristian Huselius. I think they have a very similar style of play. They both hang on to the puck and pass more than they shoot. They both have some unbelieveable skill at stickhandling through players.

Zimmer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:15 AM
vbet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
I would say our Ales Hemsky is Dion Phaneuf, just in terms of being young and skilled, we obviously don't have a young forward at Hemsky's level though.
Dion is a beast.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:14 AM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmer12 View Post
I would say a lower version of Hemsky, a less skilled version, Kristian Huselius. I think they have a very similar style of play. They both hang on to the puck and pass more than they shoot. They both have some unbelieveable skill at stickhandling through players.
Agreed. I really hope to see him on regular time with Iginla and Tanguay.

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:14 AM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbeav View Post
Dion is a beast.
Not a beast...a monster.

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:18 AM
Superfluous U

Kind of an odd question. I'd say Calgary doesn't have a guy like that. No one in the mold of a highly skilled young forward with the potential to really be a star. Now, if you just mean who is the future of the Calgary Flames the way Hemsky is the future of the Oilers, it's Phaneuf.

Superfluous U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:35 AM
natural420*

we dont have a hemsky i dont think, just nobody as good. huselius is the same type of player, just not as good. kobasew maybe as a young stud, but we dont have any type of player in the same category as hemsky i dont htink, a couple similar but nobody worth comparing, hemsky is a phenominal player

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 08:29 AM
abracanada

Kind of comparing apples and oranges. We don't really have a Hemsky comparable, but then, they don't have an Kiprusoff comparable. We don't have a Pronger comparable (oh wait, they don't have him anymore).

Can't really compare teams player by player. Sutter talks about team identity. Now that you can compare.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 08:38 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
maybe.
Nobody in Calgary gets six year contracts. So there isn't one.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Do you even know anything about the Flames, or do you just ask questions so people can reply and teach you about Hockey? Thanks for coming out bud!

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Do you even know anything about the Flames, or do you just ask questions so people can reply and teach you about Hockey? Thanks for coming out bud!
Do you know what the boards are for?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 08:58 PM
MainFlame

Huselius

MainFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Heske_44

What are you guys talking about? Kobasew just turned 24. Hemsky broke out last season which was his 4th professional year. Kobasew won the FF MVP and has a solid resume. I will agree Hemsky is without question the better of the two but Kobasew is ready to breakout and this is his perfect oppurtunity. Have you Flames fans watched much of your games? Not the most entertaining if offence is what you are after. He scored 20 goals on a very defensive team.

Did I see Huselius' name?

Explain why he is on the top line over Kobasew. He has not done anything since he came into the league.

Kobasew is a great finisher for that line, do not kid yourselves. Next year I wouldn't be surprised if Kobasew had his breakout season.

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 12:18 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heske_44 View Post
What are you guys talking about? Kobasew just turned 24. Hemsky broke out last season which was his 4th professional year. Kobasew won the FF MVP and has a solid resume. I will agree Hemsky is without question the better of the two but Kobasew is ready to breakout and this is his perfect oppurtunity. Have you Flames fans watched much of your games? Not the most entertaining if offence is what you are after. He scored 20 goals on a very defensive team.

Did I see Huselius' name?

Explain why he is on the top line over Kobasew. He has not done anything since he came into the league.

Kobasew is a great finisher for that line, do not kid yourselves. Next year I wouldn't be surprised if Kobasew had his breakout season.
Thanks for the lesson, I didn't realize I missed last season, I'm glad you are here to enlighten me.

I have two reasons why Huselius was on the top line over Kob, first of all, he is a LW, while Kob is a natural RW and not displacing Iginla anytime, I'd guess a big Flames fan such as yourself would know that. Also, he actually has does plenty since joining the league, such as three twenty goal season as well as being a solid setup man. He is not nearly as good as Hemsky though, nor nearly as young.

As for Kob, hopefully he does breakout next year, but at this point Hemsky is clearly the better player.

And nice swipe at the excitingness of Flames games, well played.

Old
07-29-2006, 12:45 AM
PapaBear*

Kobasew?

PapaBear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 12:59 AM
Heske_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
Thanks for the lesson, I didn't realize I missed last season, I'm glad you are here to enlighten me.

I have two reasons why Huselius was on the top line over Kob, first of all, he is a LW, while Kob is a natural RW and not displacing Iginla anytime, I'd guess a big Flames fan such as yourself would know that. Also, he actually has does plenty since joining the league, such as three twenty goal season as well as being a solid setup man. He is not nearly as good as Hemsky though, nor nearly as young.

As for Kob, hopefully he does breakout next year, but at this point Hemsky is clearly the better player.

And nice swipe at the excitingness of Flames games, well played.
From everything I have seen and read he can play all three positions. That is what I do know. He could easily learn to play LW in a very short amount of time. Huselius is nothing special...sorry guys.

I, again, agree Kob is not as good as Hemsky at all.

I am a Canucks fan FYI and the Flames style is boring. Doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy it if the Canucks were successful with a similiar system, winning is what I care about....I don't care how it gets done personally.

Old
07-29-2006, 03:04 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
From everything I have seen and read he can play all three positions. That is what I do know. He could easily learn to play LW in a very short amount of time. Huselius is nothing special...sorry guys.

I am a Canucks fan FYI and the Flames style is boring. Doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy it if the Canucks were successful with a similiar system, winning is what I care about....I don't care how it gets done personally.
so you are judging what you seen by just a few games?... Huselius had as many golas as Kobasew and more points than him last season... and Huselius only has 4 seasons under his belt... Kobasew has 30 goals and 54 points in his first 130 career games... Huselius had 23 goals and 45 ponts in a 79 game rookie season... Huselius is a better all-around offensive player than Kobasew... Kobasew will probably end up being a 25-30 goal guy... but if reaches the 25 goal mark... 20 of those goals will be from going to teh net and burying rebounds... Kobasew DOES NOT play center... to back up that statement on the few draws he took he showed very little faceoff aptitude winning a mere 25.5% of his draws... Kobasew also saw brief time on the left side with Iginla... and he just didnt look comfortable... it's best to keep him in his natural right wing position and have him provide some secondary scoring... with that said the flames have no one like Hemsky... as we dont have many young european players who dont know the meaning of defense or bodycheck

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 07:57 AM
tysester

Quote:

You're right, the Canucks are the most exciting team in the league - or at least, used to be! I'm not sure that what the Canucks played could really be called 'good hockey' but exciting, hell yeah. You never knew when Cloutier might let in a goal from center, or when Jovanovski would give the other team a breakaway pass, or when Naslund would start crying, or when Sopel would trip over his own feet, or when Bertuzzi would attack someone from behind.
So in retrospect the "Flames style" is much less exciting but I'm still sooo glad I cheer for the Flames and not the West Coast Whiners.

tysester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Heske_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
so you are judging what you seen by just a few games?... Huselius had as many golas as Kobasew and more points than him last season... and Huselius only has 4 seasons under his belt... Kobasew has 30 goals and 54 points in his first 130 career games... Huselius had 23 goals and 45 ponts in a 79 game rookie season... Huselius is a better all-around offensive player than Kobasew... Kobasew will probably end up being a 25-30 goal guy... but if reaches the 25 goal mark... 20 of those goals will be from going to teh net and burying rebounds... Kobasew DOES NOT play center... to back up that statement on the few draws he took he showed very little faceoff aptitude winning a mere 25.5% of his draws... Kobasew also saw brief time on the left side with Iginla... and he just didnt look comfortable... it's best to keep him in his natural right wing position and have him provide some secondary scoring... with that said the flames have no one like Hemsky... as we dont have many young european players who dont know the meaning of defense or bodycheck

Huselius was almost 24 when he played his first season, Kobasew was 20. I would hope Huselius is a little bit better offensively being 28 this year.

Kobasew is just a kid and it sounds like you are writing off his talents claiming him to be a 20 gaol mucker while Huselius is Naslund. He may not have looked comfortable but it is funny how change does that to people. Just because he played left wing and didn't explode into a 80 point player right away doesn't mean he will never be able to play that position.

You are putting a player higher than he deserves and calling it a career for another. To say Kobasew doesn't have a legit shot at the top line is ridiculous. Apparantly I have watched enough of Flames games to form a opinion on this debate.....can you do the same for the Canucks prospects?

You have seen Huselius at most 50 games? Even then I would love to hear how you stayed glued to the action and watched every shift to validate your arguement. I am saying you have a stud prospect, take the damn compliment!! haha

Old
07-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Heske_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysester View Post
You're right, the Canucks are the most exciting team in the league - or at least, used to be! I'm not sure that what the Canucks played could really be called 'good hockey' but exciting, hell yeah. You never knew when Cloutier might let in a goal from center, or when Jovanovski would give the other team a breakaway pass, or when Naslund would start crying, or when Sopel would trip over his own feet, or when Bertuzzi would attack someone from behind.
So in retrospect the "Flames style" is much less exciting but I'm still sooo glad I cheer for the Flames and not the West Coast Whiners.
Cloutier, Sopel, Bertuzzi, Jovo are all gone. So everything you claim was a problem watching the Canucks has ended.

Now we have a true top 5 goalie, Twins that are ready to become serious superstars, Naslund who shouldn't be the "C" and will take some added pressure off him. Morisson will be healthy and our top two lines will be ready to roll.

Old
07-29-2006, 04:07 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Huselius was almost 24 when he played his first season, Kobasew was 20. I would hope Huselius is a little bit better offensively being 28 this year.

Kobasew is just a kid and it sounds like you are writing off his talents claiming him to be a 20 gaol mucker while Huselius is Naslund. He may not have looked comfortable but it is funny how change does that to people. Just because he played left wing and didn't explode into a 80 point player right away doesn't mean he will never be able to play that position.

You are putting a player higher than he deserves and calling it a career for another. To say Kobasew doesn't have a legit shot at the top line is ridiculous. Apparantly I have watched enough of Flames games to form a opinion on this debate.....can you do the same for the Canucks prospects?

You have seen Huselius at most 50 games? Even then I would love to hear how you stayed glued to the action and watched every shift to validate your arguement. I am saying you have a stud prospect, take the damn compliment!! haha
Yes, Huselius is better offensively at 28 than Kob is now, hence why he is on the top line and Kobasew is not, Kobasew can play all positions, but all things considered we may as well play him on the second line, especially considering he may well be playing with Huselius on that line and letting Tanger play with Langkow and Iginla on the top line and Kobasew certainly has a shot at becoming a top line player, but at this point he isn't quite there yet and the Flames finally have the offensive players to not be forced into putting him into a role he is unprepared for, not the mention they aren't forced to play him out of position.

Old
07-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:

i like Kobasew... but he isnt going to be a superstar... i am one of only a few flames fans that are higher on him than Lombardi... and think he can be a 30 goal scorer... and I watched every single flames game last season that was possible to watch (i think there was an LA game and a St. Louis game that weren't even on NHL center Ice of Flames PPV)... so I have seen enough of Huselius to know why he was on the top line... but I personally feel Langkow should be on the top line not Huselius or Kobasew... i think they should play together with Lombardi or Lundmark between them... and I have said anything about Huselius being comparable to Naslund... because he isnt

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote