HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Your Top 5 Loudest NHL Arenas?

Old
07-26-2006, 08:36 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfTheWiseNPowerful View Post

Actually, my answer is Not Ottawa.

Too many fans quietly watching the play and analyzing instead of boozing it up and hollerin'.
That's because we don't want to get too excited only to have our hopes stomped all over again.

It'd be nice to be an underdog again sometimes.

It's loud enough in the playoffs.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 08:37 AM
bcrt2000

Air Canada Centre was pretty loud... for the U2 concert I went to

Actually I felt that Copps Collesium was very loud when I went there for an exhibition game between the Bruins and the Leafs in 2005. I've only been to two other hockey games recently, Detroit @ Ottawa October 2003, and Edmonton @ Montreal February 2003.

I thought Montreal was pretty loud, and there was always a lot of chants going on. That being said, the Edm@Mtl game was quite boring because Montreal scored early, and were up 3-0, and it took the Oilers until the last 10 minutes to try to make a come back. I bet in a more intense game it would have been louder.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 09:13 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikk View Post
145 dB. I've never seen a lamer, more insecure attempt by a team to show they "belong". Too bad they have to blatantly lie about it.

Rexall Place is the loudest rink in the west, Centre Bell is the loudest in the east.

Haha, exactly. Do we know where you're coming from, Oil fans take over our rivals rink in much the same way...
the accoustics of every arena affect teh DB levels as much as how loud the fans are... it really impossible to tell what crowd is really louder unless they are in the same conditions...

what i propose is a NHL team fan sound off ... first 5,000 fans from every team gets to participate... take them to an arena somewhere with about a 5,000 capacity and let each team play their number 1 rival... thats the only way to judge who is really loudest

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalunatik1979 View Post
the accoustics of every arena affect teh DB levels as much as how loud the fans are... it really impossible to tell what crowd is really louder unless they are in the same conditions...

what i propose is a NHL team fan sound off ... first 5,000 fans from every team gets to participate... take them to an arena somewhere with about a 5,000 capacity and let each team play their number 1 rival... thats the only way to judge who is really loudest
I think Edmonton fans would prevail =p I was fortunate enough to go to game 3 of the Finals in edmonton, and it was as loud as you could possibly ask for ^^
Also I noticed that In the Series against San Jose and Carolina, they actually kept track of the stadiums sound rating at its loudest point and at intervals throught the game in the edmonton Journal. for the most part these buildings were pretty even at the Highest sound catogory, but edmonton was consitently louder then the other two at other points in the game (Home / Away team goals) then the other two. It should also be noted that the maximum capacity of Rexall place (around 17000) is thousands less then either Carolina or San Jose (about 19000 and 18500 respectivly)

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:40 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35thPony View Post
OMG, dude, you shouldn't make statements when you really don't really have the answer... I was in the RBC in the finals and you will not find a louder atmosphere... I don't care what it came across to you in your living room...
I think he means loud WITHOUT pumped in crowd noise

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:42 AM
canada_mapleleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbeav View Post
Well if your city counsel weren't idiots and made a 15,500 arena you would have a team in a few years.
We have a brand new aren now and it can accomodate an NHL team. If Bettman wasnt such an idiot he would relocate a team here. Maybe actually make a bit of money instead of losing so much in the southern teams

canada_mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:43 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak View Post
I think he means loud WITHOUT pumped in crowd noise

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:47 AM
NassauIsles82*

Meh, i'm not too impressed with Rexall. The Igloo vid i posted in the beginning is definitely a louder tape and it's the same type..just not playoffs . Rexall has good and loud chants, but they definitely don't seem the loudest.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NBI_kHypt...%20red%20wings

And you guys are overrting Bell Center. Have any of you been there? It's not that loud, it's just a great atmosphere.

Quitest places i've been to.

Devils- playoffs included-I hate this place and i'm a Nets fan too.
Rexall Oilers- no playoffs(quitest of all regular season games i've been too)
Washington- playoffs once in the late 90's..Decent, nothing great.

NassauIsles82* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:48 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Well the Bell centre has a few thousands more seats than most other arenas so I guess that would be my pick. I had season tickets this past year and I thought the arena was very loud. But my seats were close to the ice...I sat up in the rafters for one game and let me tell you, I went home with more ringing in my ears than I did at a Slayer concert.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:56 AM
NassauIsles82*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Well the Bell centre has a few thousands more seats than most other arenas so I guess that would be my pick. I had season tickets this past year and I thought the arena was very loud. But my seats were close to the ice...I sat up in the rafters for one game and let me tell you, I went home with more ringing in my ears than I did at a Slayer concert.
The bigger an arena is the quiter it is. Why do you think places overseas are considered some of the loudest in the world? Cause it's compact and very small and the sound can bounce and echoe easier. Look at a place like Cameron Indoor Stadium in Carolina(Duke Blue Devils) This place is louder than every college B-Ball arena, but yet one of the smallest. Florida(Gators) is very loud as well.

Cameron Crazies
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XDfwdyM1Q...door%20stadium

Old
07-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
centre bell accoustic is not great .
but everytime I go to a game I have no voice after it, not because I drank too much(because the bear is way too expensive) but because we cheer non-stop.
I wish I could have some tickets for the playoff but it's almost impossible to get those ticket unless you have season tickets...
My dream is to go to a montreal playoff game .. the place would go on-fire !!!

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
The fact is that Carolina had a super loud building in the playoffs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBC_Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia article on the RBC Center
During game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals against the Edmonton Oilers, the sound level in the arena was recorded at 145 decibels; breaking the record as the loudest arena in the world in any sport.
If you want to put forth some real and rational arguments, that's fine, but all you've done to this point is rant, spout stereotypes, and use terrible grammar and spelling.
You forgot to add the "citation needed" after the quote. A citiation is needed:
"To ensure that the content of articles is credible and can be checked by any reader or editor.
To improve the overall credibility and authoritative character of Wikipedia."

Doesnt sound very real and rational, if Wikipedia cant confirm that its a credible argument.

Plus, if you use Wikipedia to look up decibles, you'll see that:

150 dB Jet engine at 30 m (100 ft)
140 dB Rifle being fired at 1 m (3.3 ft)
130 dB Threshold of pain; train horn at 10 m (33 ft)

If 130 is the pain threshold (The threshold of pain is the SPL beyond which sound becomes unbearable for a human listener. Prolonged exposure to sound pressure levels in excess of the threshold of pain can cause physical damage, potentially leading to hearing impairment and tinnitus.), I doubt 145 dB is all that accurate.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:11 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Crowd noise really isnt necessarily indicitave of the fans but the way the arenas were built. There's a reason Chicago Stadium, my beloved old barn in St. Louis, Winninpeg Arena, the Spectrum, etc were 50x louder than todays barns. They were architectually designed in a manner that held the sound. The seating in the old barns went up. Todays barns it goes out, and expands in the nosebleeds. Now which design is going to hold the sound?

What I never understoodstood was this: I hated the concept, but I understood the fact that none of these classic venues had suites, and luxury boxes and all that crap so a move had to be made to newer, more amenity friendly arenas. But why, oh why, couldnt every team construct a newer arena like they did in Montreal. Notice how the Bell Center is the loudest of the modern arenas. Now Ive never been there, but I can tell on TV how steep the seating is, and how fans are on top of the players like the older barns. That's the reason the Bell is so loud.
So Montreal moved to a newer place and reaped the benefits of the amenities, but still kept the loudness and great atmosphere that used to make the live hockey experience unparallel in sports.

Contrast with other newer arenas like Savvis in St. Louis and UCenter in Chicago, franchises that in their old, classic barns had some of the greatest atmosphere in hockey, built their arenas totally bland, made the venue cavernous which doesnt hold the sound, which in turn leads to horrible atmosphere. It just makes me mad. Hockey at those old barns was what made the sport so endearing to so many fans. I maintain the "Jumbotron era" as its called, hurt no sport more than hockey and to me its no coicidence that hockeys popularity has continually dwindled since the mid-90s when all the teams were leaving their classic homes.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

the collusieum shouldnt even crack the top 15

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:38 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35thPony View Post
Good thing the Hurricanes play in Raleigh since you obviously have no clue about the RBC center... The Nextel cup all-star race was the same day as game 1,it draws 200,000 fans, which was the only game not sold out until the day before and that is because a lot fans buy tickets to that a year in advance and spend an entire 14 days in Charlotte for 2 races... Dude, i will tell you that Buffalo fans are THE most disrespectful people that have EVER stepped into an opposing arena... I am just glad that Boise, ID has as many professional championships from it's pro teams as Buffalo does from it's current pro teams... Hanging a banner in front of Buffalo on Oct 4th with be so satisfying...
Buffalo has 2 AFL championships, those count.Can't wait till October 4th, I'll be at the opener, and I'll do my best to be as disrespectful as possible.Sinks are Urinals too, right?

TVanek26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:51 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

When the Panthers used to play in the Miami Arena, because it only held 14,703 people, it was damn loud in there during their playoff years. Now at the much larger Bank Atlantic Center, most of the time you could probably hear a pin drop. I guess that also has to do with the team pretty much sucking since they moved in there.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:51 PM
NassauIsles82*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyutin 51 View Post
the Garden shouldnt even crack the top 30
Fixed it for you.

Old
07-26-2006, 12:54 PM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Same premises apply to each and every stadium experienced idiosyncratically. Could be due to the specific game, even night that week, area of arena, even alcohol content of the area. For example, attend an Isles home game on a weekend and one will find it significantly louder than during the week. Sit in the nosebleeds with roudy drunks, the same. I can't make the claim that the Coliseum is the loudest of all 30 teams, for I do not have the evidence, but with the domed architecture, which encapsulates the sound, it does get very loud, especially if you are in that domed area in the playoffs.
Put their building in Canada where hockey is big and every game is a sellout and the fans go crazy its easily the loudest in the league....that 1970s design and its relative small size compared to others makes it so loud. When Shawn Bates scored on that PS vs. Joseph in the 2002 playoffs I could not even hear the announcers, I have never seen that happen before in any other arena.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:55 PM
jstreet

Ive not had the oppurtunity to visit any other NHL arena so I have no way of knowing. TV and video can be misleading too.

However, The GEC in Nashville can get down right rowdy sometimes.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:00 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalunatik1979 View Post
im trying to figure out how an arena thats half empty on any given night can ever be the loudest
You know they only averaged 12,000 fans/game? Like you, I still don't know how a building that only has 12,000/game can beat out other areans that have almost 5000-6000 more fans.
Maybe they have to drink more beers cause thier a bad team and that makes it seem louder

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:45 PM
NassauIsles82*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
You know they only averaged 12,000 fans/game? Like you, I still don't know how a building that only has 12,000/game can beat out other areans that have almost 5000-6000 more fans.
Maybe they have to drink more beers cause thier a bad team and that makes it seem louder
Lets not go back a couple of years now. We wouldn't want to put Canadian fans to shame because they couldn't sell out the most popular sport(and only major sport, excluding Toronto) in a arena located in the middle of the city.

Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver..Come on guys lets not forget.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2003
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2002

Do you have any idea where Nassau is? Just like Continental Airlines they will never sellout all regular season games because of Location.

Old
07-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
NASSAU as the loudest arena in the NHL??????

I think I've heard it all.

BUT thank you for making me laugh. I've had a fairly annoying day. I needed some hysterical laughter.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

BTW, the only time that Nassau is loud is when the Rangers show up and score on the Islanders. Then you have a bunch of cheering. About the only time I've ever heard it even remotely loud, to tell the truth.

Old
07-26-2006, 01:50 PM
NassauIsles82*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
BTW, the only time that Nassau is loud is when the Rangers show up and score on the Islanders. Then you have a bunch of cheering. About the only time I've ever heard it even remotely loud, to tell the truth.

You can't be serious. You sound just like every other Ranger fan trying to get attention because your arena is filled with out of towners and celebs.

Old
07-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binos View Post

You can't be serious. You sound just like every other Ranger fan trying to get attention because your arena is filled with out of towners and celebs.

Oh, I'm very serious. Nassau is probably top 5 in the QUIETEST arenas in the NHL.

In all seriousness, my top 5 (taken in any order) would be:

Montreal
Edmonton
Calgary
MSG
San Jose

Put them in any order you want, as they are the top 5 loudest arenas in the NHL.