HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

is it finally time for a calgary / edmonton trade?

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2003, 05:11 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
is it finally time for a calgary / edmonton trade?

there is such a natural fit for these two teams to be trading partners. Calgary has an excess of great young defensemen / prospects and needs a centre who can get iggy the puck. Edmonton has excess forwards (esp Comrie) and is probably looking for a defense prospect.

Calgary can't take on any more salary but comrie has indicated he would play for less than 1.3 mill this season. Nobody can predict what he will be worth in the new cba.

I think a comrie for regher or Lydman would improve both teams.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:13 AM
Oiltalk

That's what both teams are worried about, and why a trade will never happen. Neither team wants to see the other improve.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:22 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
That's what both teams are worried about, and why a trade will never happen. Neither team wants to see the other improve.
True,but the hatred between the teams after Comrie is traded would be huge the battle of Alberta would never be hotter or fiercer.

For me it's Comrie for Phaneuf straight up or nothing. Which won't happen of course it's funny to think about and its true that we do make perfect trading partners if it was not for the long lasting rivalry & standings implications. I have yet to see a pig fly today so I will put my money on it not happening.

Comrie is going to the Ducks.(they really seem to be the front-runner at the moment)

Old
11-12-2003, 05:37 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
there is such a natural fit for these two teams to be trading partners. Calgary has an excess of great young defensemen / prospects and needs a centre who can get iggy the puck. Edmonton has excess forwards (esp Comrie) and is probably looking for a defense prospect.

Calgary can't take on any more salary but comrie has indicated he would play for less than 1.3 mill this season. Nobody can predict what he will be worth in the new cba.

I think a comrie for regher or Lydman would improve both teams.
Have you gone mad man....AHHHHHHHH!!!

Old
11-12-2003, 05:38 AM
Mr Sakich

if I am lowe, I am more concerned with improving the ducks than helping the flames. If lowe is really concerned about the 8th and final playoff position, then anaheim, phx, and LA would be the teams I wouldn't deal with yet those are the teams that have shown the most interest.

None of those teams have a young dman that I would pick over phaneuf, regher, or lydman.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:44 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
if I am lowe, I am more concerned with improving the ducks than helping the flames. If lowe is really concerned about the 8th and final playoff position, then anaheim, phx, and LA would be the teams I wouldn't deal with yet those are the teams that have shown the most interest.

None of those teams have a young dman that I would pick over phaneuf, regher, or lydman.
Yes, but at the same time I'd be concerned with making another potential 8th place team to worry about.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:46 AM
HOZ

Quote:
there is such a natural fit for these two teams to be trading partners.

I'm sorry did the world end?

Old
11-12-2003, 06:04 AM
Slats432

Quote:

Just say no. There are 28 other teams that I would rather trade with than Calgary. There are good young blueliners all over the place and trading for a Flame would be just wrong.

Old
11-12-2003, 08:35 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
True,but the hatred between the teams after Comrie is traded would be huge the battle of Alberta would never be hotter or fiercer.

For me it's Comrie for Phaneuf straight up or nothing. Which won't happen of course it's funny to think about and its true that we do make perfect trading partners if it was not for the long lasting rivalry & standings implications. I have yet to see a pig fly today so I will put my money on it not happening.

Comrie is going to the Ducks.(they really seem to be the front-runner at the moment)
Another thing to think about...

Comrie for Phaneuf adds Comrie to the Flamers lineup and we add no one.

Comrie for Regehr or Lydman is a little better, because they are at least losing someone from their lineup for Comrie. Just giving them Comrie for a prospect is risky, IMO.

I can't imagine KLo doing this though. Could you imagine if Comrie went to Cowtown and they knocked us out of the playoff race???

Old
11-12-2003, 08:54 AM
Walsher

A trade of this magnitude would never happen directly from Edmonton to Clagary. A current good hockey player for some prospects would never make that deal fly. Lowe would never directly deal Comrie to a division rival especially one 250 km down the highway.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:19 AM
HellsBells

There is no way the Flames would give up Phaneuf for Comrie. Phaneuf is going to be a dominant D-man in this league while Comrie has 2nd line centre written all over him. I don't know why but you Oilers fans are really over-valuing Comrie. He is not worth a Coburn or Phaneuf or Suter. The only way the Oilers get a player like that is if the other team is absolutely desperate. The Oilers will not get much for Comrie as everyone knows his days as an Oiler are over. If Lowe wants a Phaneuf or Coburn, he'll be holding on to Comrie for a long, long time. Why is it that Oilers fans think they are getting so much for him ?? They say he's a whiner and he sucks but then he is worth a lot in a trade. Which is it ??

Comrie for Handzus (Philly says "NO" way to that deal. Handzus is 6'5 !!)

Comrie for Gomez (only if NJ is desperate to get rid of Gomez and take on the same player)

Comrie for Coburn & Stefan (Dreaming...wake up Oiler fans, it's time for school).

Comrie for Stuart & Sturm (OMG....only in Deadmonton)

Anyway, back to the point, you say the Oilers would not trade Comrie for Phaneuf, I say your stupid if you think they wouldn't.

Face it, there is little value in Mike Comrie these days. He screwed the Oilers over big time with that HNIC interview. The whole league knows that Lowe's hands are tied. They can either deal him for reasonable return of hole onto him. Nobody is going to give them the farm for someone that is never going to play in EDM again (traded or not).

Old
11-12-2003, 09:25 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
Face it, there is little value in Mike Comrie these days.
Nope, you're right.. the market is just flooded with 30 goal scorers making $1.13 million/season. Nice first post.. look through a few more threads to see most of our opinions on Comrie's value, I'm too lazy to express it again.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:26 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Anyway, back to the point, you say the Oilers would not trade Comrie for Phaneuf, I say your stupid if you think they wouldn't.
You ain't from around these parts are ya stranger.

Edmonton and Calgary trading would be a public relations nightmare. And unless you are from here then you have no idea what that is about.

And as you say...I am stupid if I think they wouldn't if you could so indulge me as to point out the numerous...

Islanders-Rangers deals

Habs-Nordiques deals

where two bitter bitter rivals make deals with one another, then you can start talking about the snowballs chance in hell that a direct deal with Cowtown is going to happen.

Now Phaneuf of this crazy talk.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:27 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
There is no way the Flames would give up Phaneuf for Comrie. Phaneuf is going to be a dominant D-man in this league while Comrie has 2nd line centre written all over him. I don't know why but you Oilers fans are really over-valuing Comrie. He is not worth a Coburn or Phaneuf or Suter. The only way the Oilers get a player like that is if the other team is absolutely desperate. The Oilers will not get much for Comrie as everyone knows his days as an Oiler are over. If Lowe wants a Phaneuf or Coburn, he'll be holding on to Comrie for a long, long time. Why is it that Oilers fans think they are getting so much for him ?? They say he's a whiner and he sucks but then he is worth a lot in a trade. Which is it ??

Comrie for Gomez (only if NJ is desperate to get rid of Gomez and take on the same player)

Comrie for Coburn & Stefan (Dreaming...wake up Oiler fans, it's time for school).

Comrie for Stuart & Sturm (OMG....only in Deadmonton)

Face it, there is little value in Mike Comrie these days. He screwed the Oilers over big time with that HNIC interview. The whole league knows that Lowe's hands are tied. They can either deal him for reasonable return of hole onto him. Nobody is going to give them the farm for someone that is never going to play in EDM again (traded or not).
Comrie - 61 career nhl goals, 1 30+ goal season

Cobourn - 0 nhl games played.

So Cobourn for sure is going to be a dominant defenseman, and Comrie will never be anything but a #2 centre?

Please, kindly remove your cranial cavity out of your anal one.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:37 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
You ain't from around these parts are ya stranger.

Edmonton and Calgary trading would be a public relations nightmare. And unless you are from here then you have no idea what that is about.

And as you say...I am stupid if I think they wouldn't if you could so indulge me as to point out the numerous...

Islanders-Rangers deals

Habs-Nordiques deals

where two bitter bitter rivals make deals with one another, then you can start talking about the snowballs chance in hell that a direct deal with Cowtown is going to happen.

Now Phaneuf of this crazy talk.

I know that the Flames and Oilers would not make a trade, that's not the point. My point is that if Phaneuf was on the Rangers or Flyers, the Oilers would be all over that trade like a fat kid on a smartie. I was responding to the guy that said they would not trade Comrie for Phaneuf because Dion is not in the NHL now. That is ludicrus !! The Oilers will not get anything close to Phaneuf in return. That's all I am saying.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:37 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
hahahaha, Handzus is 6'5!!!!!!! Dumbass.

Imagine the package we'd need to give Pittsburgh for Steve McKenna.

THAT DUDE IS 6'8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better yet, let's get Manute Bol on a pair of skates. That mofo's HUGE!!!!!!

Old
11-12-2003, 09:41 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
hahahaha, Handzus is 6'5!!!!!!! Dumbass.

Imagine the package we'd need to give Pittsburgh for Steve McKenna.

THAT DUDE IS 6'8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better yet, let's get Manute Bol on a pair of skates. That mofo's HUGE!!!!!!
Don' t call me a dumbass !! The Flyers would never give up a 6'5 C for a 5'8 C...It's that simple...if you don't get it then you obviously don't know Bobby Clarke. You are the dumbass...not me.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:41 AM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Please, kindly remove your cranial cavity out of your anal one.
Another reason why Dawgs are so much better than cats

Ladies and gentlemen, THAT'S how you deal with a troll

Old
11-12-2003, 09:44 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
I know that the Flames and Oilers would not make a trade, that's not the point. My point is that if Phaneuf was on the Rangers or Flyers, the Oilers would be all over that trade like a fat kid on a smartie. I was responding to the guy that said they would not trade Comrie for Phaneuf because Dion is not in the NHL now. That is ludicrus !! The Oilers will not get anything close to Phaneuf in return. That's all I am saying.
Comrie is a player that helps out immediately, plus he is only 23 so chances are he will be around for a while and help out in the future.

If the Oilers are trading him, they need something for now and the future in return.

Phaneuf does <b>nothing</b> for the Oilers this year, and in fact hurts them because the Flames add a player without losing one. Lowe's asking price for Comrie is high, as it should be.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:45 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
Another reason why Dawgs are so much better than cats

Ladies and gentlemen, THAT'S how you deal with a troll
So anyone that comes in here and is realistic about Comrie's worth is automatically a troll. I see how this works. If anyone says anything that you Oilers fans don't agree with, that's a troll. LOL !!

Just thought I would wake you guys up from those trade dreams. Can anyone say "Marc Savard" or "Ruslan Zainullin" ???

Old
11-12-2003, 09:47 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Don' t call me a dumbass !! The Flyers would never give up a 6'5 C for a 5'8 C...It's that simple...if you don't get it then you obviously don't know Bobby Clarke. You are the dumbass...not me.
In the past year, Clarke has picked up Kappenan and Hackett, who are both fairly small players. Trust me, size is not the only factor Clarke looks at in a trade/acquisition.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:50 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
So you're saying that if the Flyers were offered Comrie, Drury, York, Koivu, Richards or Morrison for Handzus, they would turn it down because these guys aren't tall enough???

How about I offer York and Torres for Brashear???? No, not tall enough??? How about York, Torres, Hemsky and Comrie for Handzus and Brashear??? Still too short, eh??

Fine, I give in, we'll give you Brent Henley for them both.....

Old
11-12-2003, 09:52 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Comrie is a player that helps out immediately, plus he is only 23 so chances are he will be around for a while and help out in the future.

If the Oilers are trading him, they need something for now and the future in return.

Phaneuf does <b>nothing</b> for the Oilers this year, and in fact hurts them because the Flames add a player without losing one. Lowe's asking price for Comrie is high, as it should be.
I see your point Dawgbone, but I just don't see any teams viewing Comrie as highly as the Oilers do (rightfully so I guess). I know that Phaneuf is not in the NHL right now, but believe me, he could play for the Oilers right now. He is better than Bergeron, Ferguson, Semenov & Cross..... RIGHT NOW !! He has a bullet for a shot and hits like a bus. His skating needs a bit of work but not much, he is the real deal and the Oilers won't get anything better. IMO, he has more upside than Coburn or Suter.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:53 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
So anyone that comes in here and is realistic about Comrie's worth is automatically a troll. I see how this works. If anyone says anything that you Oilers fans don't agree with, that's a troll. LOL !!

Just thought I would wake you guys up from those trade dreams. Can anyone say "Marc Savard" or "Ruslan Zainullin" ???
Garfield, please do a fill in the blank for me:

Savard had a bad _________, who insulted his ________ and ___. He was a ______ player, who was not successful in his time in __________.

Comrie played with a lot of ______, scored clutch (and many) ______. Comrie did not have a bad ________, and was not a ______ player.

Can you see the difference in these situations. Oh, and one more:

Button was a ________ GM. Lowe, however, is an _________ GM.

I'll grade you when you answer.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:56 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
So you're saying that if the Flyers were offered Comrie, Drury, York, Koivu, Richards or Morrison for Handzus, they would turn it down because these guys aren't tall enough???

How about I offer York and Torres for Brashear???? No, not tall enough??? How about York, Torres, Hemsky and Comrie for Handzus and Brashear??? Still too short, eh??

Fine, I give in, we'll give you Brent Henley for them both.....
Are you serious ?? Grow up !!

All other things being equal, the Flyers will always take the bigger player. You are more of a troll than I am. I never said that Flyers wouldn't take a smaller player if he is much better but Comrie is not better than Handzus. Handzus is an overall player that knows what defence is. That always comes first in Philly. You don't have a clue buddy !!

Closed Thread