HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Curtis Leschyshn

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2003, 04:01 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
Curtis Leschyshn

He had a horrendous game last night, and unfortunately, he hasn't looked good all-season. Should we be worried about this? Do you think the game has finally exceeded his reach, or is he just going through a slump like many others on the team?

I'm sure he's still a valuable guy in the locker-room, but at his price-tag, I think we should be expecting a little more. He needs to be more dependable to hold onto the #6 spot when everyone is healthy.

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Old
11-12-2003, 04:59 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Leschyschyn hasn't been too good, but neither have all of our defenseman, and Pothier hasn't played as well as some have said he has.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:16 AM
Lexicon Devil

re

Giving Leschyshyn an extension was probably not the right move. He's averaging 13 1/2 minutes a game - great value for $2 million. Having Rachunek injured hurts this team a lot more than has been said.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:36 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil
Giving Leschyshyn an extension was probably not the right move. He's averaging 13 1/2 minutes a game - great value for $2 million. Having Rachunek injured hurts this team a lot more than has been said.
It's not just Rachunek's injury. Redden's been hurt as well, and I think it's why he has been struggling so much. If we were fully healthy, I think he would have taken a couple of games off to heal. Add Volchenkov's absence, and it becomes clear that our blueline is hurting

Even though we have these injuries, I'm not happy with how our blueline has responded. Chara's been playing better the last couple of games, and Phillips has been decent. It's our bottom pairing guys that have been a disappointment. Pothier and Leschyshn have been disappointing. After watching what happened to the Islanders last year when they didn't have a reliable bottom pairing, it worries me a little.

Old
11-12-2003, 06:24 AM
Lexicon Devil

The reason I point to the Rachunek injury is because I think Pothier can easily handle a 3rd line role - when he was playing 12-13 minutes a game he was solid. It's when he gets stretched to 19 minutes on the top pairing that he starts to look shaky.

Old
11-12-2003, 07:25 AM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil
Giving Leschyshyn an extension was probably not the right move. He's averaging 13 1/2 minutes a game - great value for $2 million.
But that's how much UFA defencemen cost. I'm not sure that he's playing 'horrendously', or at any rate worse than the rest of the defensive corps - can someone point to specific examples of his poor play?

Other Dave

Old
11-12-2003, 08:21 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
But that's how much UFA defencemen cost. I'm not sure that he's playing 'horrendously', or at any rate worse than the rest of the defensive corps - can someone point to specific examples of his poor play?

Other Dave
I've seen him miss his man in front of the net a few times. He was beaten to the front of the net last night on one occassion that lead to a goal. I've also noticed him giving the puck away more than usual.

Last night was the worst game that I've seen him play this year, so I'm not going to use that as the measuring stick. It's just that I've noticed quite a few mistakes from him this year. True, he's probably getting more ice-time than usual, due to injuries, and our blueline hasn't been stellar, but he seems off, even with those factors taken into consideration.

Old
11-13-2003, 03:17 AM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
True, he's probably getting more ice-time than usual, due to injuries
Not really; he's still getting under 14 minutes as a third-pairing guy.

But remember that Curtis is one of the walking wounded as well; he sat out a (couple of?) games early in the season with an apparantly minor but nagging injury. Maybe that's caused him to lose a step lately.

Other Dave

Closed Thread