HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speaking of cellar dwelling... (Sens TV Coverage)

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2003, 09:05 AM
gbl1p

vCash: 500
Speaking of cellar dwelling... (Sens TV Coverage)

Prior to this season, in my mind, CBC's overall hockey coverage quality had slipped to the basement of my tastes. We could argue for hours about me being a bitter Sens fan suffering from the distaste of seeing the Leafs front and center every Saturday night. But the reality was that whatever meager representation the Sens got was entirely butchered by having John Davidson et al. cover the play by play. To be honest, I find it insulting to have our games called by guys who can't even muster half the roster. Though I found last years Sportsnet broadcasts to lack the 'umph' as the one-a-week HNIC shows (reasonably so), at least we could get a dose of quality, accurate and even insightful play by play by our own Dean Brown - leaving me to rely on Sportsnet to carry out our best broadcasts. Well, this year it looks as though CBC came to their senses and now have Deaner putting together the play-by-plays, as was seen this past Saturday. Truly fitting, in my opinion.

The question is, will he stick? I can't describe to you how I won't be able to tolerate having a John Davidson calling any more Sens playoff series.

As an aside, I'm also all for Pierre McGuire. I gather most people can't sit through his over the top style and monster performers, but this human hockey encyclopedia hits the nail on the head everytime. You gotta love the ties to the Ottawa franchise, from him being an employee of the organization thru to his morning show call-ins on the Team.

Who does the best job covering Ottawa Senators?

Old
11-10-2003, 09:12 AM
SENSfreak_03

dean brown and greg millen/gord wilson are the best for the sens imo. lots of people dont like millen, but hes better then alot of guys, and he does have some real stuff to talk about, unlike harry neale who seems to blabber on about nothing. nhl on tsn a few times with the leafs when bowen and neale were on, wow, i never knew how good our crew is. as for pierre, i like him to, hes over the top a few times, but hes pationate about the game and he knows what hes talking about, does his homework and hits the nail everytime.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:14 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbl1p
As an aside, I'm also all for Pierre McGuire. I gather most people can't sit through his over the top style and monster performers, but this human hockey encyclopedia hits the nail on the head everytime. You gotta love the ties to the Ottawa franchise, from him being an employee of the organization thru to his morning show call-ins on the Team.

Who does the best job covering Ottawa Senators?
I'm a big McGuire fan. His over-the-top approach is entertaining, as it comes from a geniune enthusiasm for his work, and his vast knowledge on hockey is great. I actually try to co-ordinate my drive into work during his segment on the Team in the morning.

Old
11-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Foster

Send a message via AIM to Foster Send a message via MSN to Foster
McGuire has the energy that I like. The over the top approach does great things to the broadcast. Of note I also enjoy James Duthie. I just find him a funny guy.

As for the sens they do need a little more life in the broadcast. I noticed the grind starts to hit them and they loose all the vigor. Though both can be good, most of the regular season broadcast can be boring of times. Still I give credit for "he most be dating Linda Blair, he most be possessed"(very similar to that). This still is one of my favouite comments.

Maybe when I'am done this journalism degree, I should start lobbying the broadcast both for a job.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:13 AM
50 Mission Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbl1p
Prior to this season, in my mind, CBC's overall hockey coverage quality had slipped to the basement of my tastes. We could argue for hours about me being a bitter Sens fan suffering from the distaste of seeing the Leafs front and center every Saturday night.

If you live in Stittsville you don't see the Leafs every saturday night. You get the regional coverage of the Sens game.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:55 AM
SENSfreak_03

PHP Code:
If you live in Stittsville you don't see the Leafs every saturday night. You get the regional coverage of the Sens game. 
you'd think so, but the sens aren't on every saturday, sometimes were stuck with the dreaded no tv, we dont have the luxury leaf and habs fans do of having every single game on tv.

Old
11-11-2003, 10:00 AM
50 Mission Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSfreak_03
PHP Code:
If you live in Stittsville you don't see the Leafs every saturday night. You get the regional coverage of the Sens game. 
you'd think so, but the sens aren't on every saturday, sometimes were stuck with the dreaded no tv, we dont have the luxury leaf and habs fans do of having every single game on tv.

So far this season the Sens have been on every saturday night except 2. The first was on Oct 18, and that was a 10:30 start in which the CBC chose Edmonton over Ottawa.

The second, and only time Ottawa has been forced to watch Toronto was on Nov 1.

In fact, of the remaining Sens games, only 16 are not televised.

Old
11-11-2003, 11:03 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Mission Cap
So far this season the Sens have been on every saturday night except 2. The first was on Oct 18, and that was a 10:30 start in which the CBC chose Edmonton over Ottawa.

Historically, the games that are the least likely to be televised for the Sens is ones on Saturday night. I haven't reviewed the schedule fully, so I don't know if that's the case this year.

It's always been a sticking point with me that these games do not get shown. I understand that it isn't always feasible for showing these games (due to costs of broadcast vs. incremental revenues), but I've always felt that CBC's deal should be a right of refusal deal. If they do not wish to air a team's game in its local market, other broadcaster's should have the right to pick up that game. I have issue with my tax dollars being used to limit access to the local NHL team.

Old
11-11-2003, 12:08 PM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Mission Cap

Please see the first phrase in my original post to know that my beef has not been about this years broadcasts. Though against my tastes, I understand a relatively new Sens niche carved out of a previous Leafs/Habs fan base cannot yield the greatest broadcast schedule. Our charge deep into last years post-season did alot for helping ourselves achieve national sportscasts, however.

Interesting: CBC will have done 8 games pre-Christmas this season. 50% of those vs. Canadian teams. After Christmas, CBC will do 6 Sens games ALL of which are Canadian teams. Now, it is suffice to say that there is no sweet way in hell that two Canadian teams are going to go at it on a Saturday night w/out National coverage. But isn't it nice to see the good 'ol folks at CBC to conveniently cram all those annoying, necessary Sens games right at the bloody start and get them over with in a hurry? Though I'm being half facetious, this is how I personally feel slighted in the past, only on a larger scale.

Old
11-12-2003, 06:22 AM
Lexicon Devil

Dean Brown is horrible. Greg Millen is even worse.

I wish they'd strike like the RDS announcers.

Closed Thread