HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

New Jersey/Washington TRADE PROPOSAL

Old
07-26-2006, 09:29 AM
digitalmonkey*

vCash: 500
New Jersey/Washington TRADE PROPOSAL

I'm neither a Devils or Caps fan so I'm just throwing this out there to see if it is a fair deal.

To Washington:
Scott Gomez
Vladimir Malakhov

To New Jersey:
Eric Fehr

Washington is giving up Fehr, admittedly a guy with plenty of potential, but they are getting a world class player in return who would/could slip right in to centre a line with Ovechkin. Ovechkin and Gomez together would be a deadly combination for any opposition. The Malakhov contract is a formality as he does not actually have to be paid, but the salary counts against the cap. This sucks for Malakhov, but is great for a team like Washington who can use the cap hit to surpass the cap floor.

Losing Gomez would be a big loss to the Devils, but they would be getting a quality prospect back in return. They would also be getting rid of Malakhov's contract which would free up some money so they could sign Gionta, Hale and Martin.

digitalmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
The Devils will not be packaging Mogilny or Malakhov with Gomez. It makes absolutely no sense. First off, the Pens and the Caps are like the only two teams that I could think of who could take on $8.5M in salary. However, neither team is expected to do much this season and thus won't give up big assets for a player who could potentially walk next summer. From a Devils standpoint, packaging one of the Ms with Gomez only demeans his value and takes away from the amount of interested teams.

The Devils don't need THAT much cap room either.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 09:39 AM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Schaefer View Post
No reason whatsoever for Washington to make this deal. Gomez is potentially a one-year rental. Washington is rebuilding. They don't need an expesnive rental superstar, they need cheap potential. And then doing Jersey a favor by taking Malakhov? No thanks from a Caps point of view.
Gomez is 26! I don't really think that counteracts any rebuliding plan. The Caps have plenty of young prospects that trading one (Fehr) won't alleviate from any plans either. And acquiring Malakhov would not be a favour; it would be part of the deal to lower the cost of acquiring Gomez.

Old
07-26-2006, 09:41 AM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittel16 View Post
The Devils will not be packaging Mogilny or Malakhov with Gomez. It makes absolutely no sense. First off, the Pens and the Caps are like the only two teams that I could think of who could take on $8.5M in salary. However, neither team is expected to do much this season and thus won't give up big assets for a player who could potentially walk next summer. From a Devils standpoint, packaging one of the Ms with Gomez only demeans his value and takes away from the amount of interested teams.

The Devils don't need THAT much cap room either.
They are maxed out with 3 players to sign including their leading goal scorer.

Old
07-26-2006, 09:47 AM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
So basically Washington should do this trade because there's no reason not to? (in your opinion)
Huh?

Washington would make this trade because they would be getting a world-class centreman in return who would play with Ovechkin.

Old
07-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmonkey View Post
They are maxed out with 3 players to sign including their leading goal scorer.
They are sitting at about $44M right now. One of the bigger contracts (Gomez, Rafalski, Malakhov, Mogilny) must be going, along with several smaller contracts like Brylin, Wiemer, and Lukowich or Matvichuk. That puts us at about the cap.

Old
07-26-2006, 09:54 AM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
They are sitting at about $44M right now. One of the bigger contracts (Gomez, Rafalski, Malakhov, Mogilny) must be going, along with several smaller contracts like Brylin, Wiemer, and Lukowich or Matvichuk. That puts us at about the cap.
So if one of the bigger contracts is going, such as Gomez, why not get rid of Malakhov and have some money to provide a little freedom?

If they make a trade like the one proposed, it gets them a quality prospect and maybe frees up enough money to sign an Anson Carter.

Old
07-26-2006, 09:55 AM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

vCash: 50
why not just go with the Mogilny and a 1st/2nd for "future considerations"

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
So if one of the bigger contracts is going, such as Gomez, why not get rid of Malakhov and have some money to provide a little freedom?

If they make a trade like the one proposed, it gets them a quality prospect and maybe frees up enough money to sign an Anson Carter.
Becuase Malakhov will greatly detract from the return Gomez gets. Only like two or three teams could even consider making that deal, too.

Like the previous poster said, Malakhov + 1st to Washington or Columbus or some team like that is much more likely, imo.

Old
07-26-2006, 10:03 AM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu View Post
why not just go with the Mogilny and a 1st/2nd for "future considerations"
It's certainly possible, but IMO, something like this does start to look like a favour and if I'm Columbus or Washington I want more in return for taking a big salary off your hands.

Old
07-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Mr.Brownov*

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Brownov*
I think a Mogilny move to WAS would be great for AO. Especially off ice, where Mogilny being the comedian that he is and Ovechkin's hilarious responses. They could hold their own reality tv show.

Mr.Brownov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:08 AM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
Becuase Malakhov will greatly detract from the return Gomez gets. Only like two or three teams could even consider making that deal, too.

Like the previous poster said, Malakhov + 1st to Washington or Columbus or some team like that is much more likely, imo.
Of course it will, but getting rid of Malakhov's salary is a big part of the deal. It gives Lou the freedom to make other moves.

Old
07-26-2006, 10:13 AM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
But they don't NEED a world-class centreman. They're rebuilding. What's the use of making a move that could (at best), give your team 4th instead of 2nd overall at next year's draft? Why give up Fehr and take on Malakhov for that?
Rebuilding for what? To be a winning team? Like I said, Gomez is only 26 and can help Washington now AND many years from now. Unless of course, you are one of those who likes to be in a permanent rebuilding phase.

The goal is to improve your team without sacrificing the future. Washington would be improving their team immensely and NOT sacrificing their future.

Old
07-26-2006, 10:15 AM
sk84fun_dc

I wouldn't do that deal if Fehr was the one headed the other direction at this time.

Also, outside of the players and cap room issues, another thing to consider when mentioning a team like the Caps taking on Mogilny or Malakhov's salary plus $5M for Gomez is the cap hit and the implications regarding revenue sharing. I doubt the Caps' owner is going to approve a deal that could mean the team loses out on revenue sharing. It is more than just a matter of being able to fit the dollars under the cap.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:24 AM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
How do you figure? He'll be under a one-year deal.
Ummm, come January 1st they can sign him to an Alexei Yashin contract if they so desire.

Old
07-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Ummm, come January 1st they can sign him to an Alexei Yashin contract if they so desire.
Why would anyone sign anyone to an Alexei Yashin contract if they aren't Milbury/Wang?

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:32 AM
HBK27

Quote:
It's certainly possible, but IMO, something like this does start to look like a favour and if I'm Columbus or Washington I want more in return for taking a big salary off your hands.
Getting a first round draft pick in exchange for cap space the team has no intentions of using anyway is far from a favor. Both teams improve from the deal.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:33 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
NJ couldn't do that either. Even assuming that McGillis won't count at all... they're at $44 x 17 players (2 of whom aren't expected to be on the team), with Gionta, Martin and Hale probably signing between $5-6M.

So closer to $50M for 18 players + $450k for a back up and $450 for another body somewhere. That's now ~ $51 million for 20 roster players.

Malakhov and Mogilny would both have to be moved to get slightly under the cap... let alone signing Anson Carter. If one can't be moved, NJ has to trade one top player. If both can't be moved... NJ might have to move two top players.

There isn't a 3-card Monty dealer out there good enough to hide how bad this situation is.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:35 AM
OvechkinFTW!

Nothing wrong with this proposal as long as part of the deal the Caps are able to sign Gomez long term.

OvechkinFTW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:35 AM
The Viking Fury

Klepis for Malakhov and a first.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Klepis for Malakhov and a first.
Change Klepis to a 7th round pick and I think that the Caps and Devils accept.

The Devils are at 46.495 right now. That would drop them to 43 and change. Still not enough room off the cap, though. Without McGillis, that's 41 and change, though, to sign Gionta, Martin, Hale, and a back-up (if Doyle isn't it).

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:39 AM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
I would assume Mr. Gomez would have some say in this as well. What if he just doesn't want to play for Washington? There goes Fehr and $5m down the drain for what? 14th in the Conference?
Why did $5 million go down the drain?

Old
07-26-2006, 11:01 AM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
Because it would be spent on a year of Gomez' service that did next to nothing in helping the team achieve it's current goals. Unless he's brought in to help mentor younger players.
The Caps do need to spend money. There is a low end to the cap that must be reached.

The teams current goals are to win games without sacrificing their future, not to get a high draft pick. Yes, Gomez will be a UFA at the end of the season, but the Caps are free to begin negotiations with him January 1st. I see no reason to believe Gomez would not want to sign with an up and coming team with one of the best young players in the game in Ovechkin if they are willing to pay him good money. And I see no reason why Washington would not be willing to pay Gomez good money.

Perhaps this deal is extremely do-able if the Devils include a clause (similar to the Tanguay trade) where they must compensate Washington should Gomez not resign with them.

Old
07-26-2006, 11:08 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
The Caps do need to spend money. There is a low end to the cap that must be reached.
You are incorrect if you base this proposal on the Caps needing to spend money. The Caps DO NOT need to spend money to reach the floor, they are above the floor at this time as has been noted in many threads about this topic.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 11:25 AM
EYEuhFRAYtee

I'd do a trade for Gomer....if we could get some kind of behind closed doors agreement that he'd re-up for a few seasons with us. I'm not sure if Uncle Teddy would want to spend $5 mil on a player yet though.

EYEuhFRAYtee is online now   Reply With Quote