HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

New Jersey/Washington TRADE PROPOSAL

Old
07-26-2006, 01:55 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2
Quote:
By no means does that mean I won't sign with the Devils next year," he said. "That's one of the rights you get. Just like Patty [Elias], he checked it out and he came back with the Devils."

Last edited by AfroThunder396: 07-26-2006 at 02:06 PM.
AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:56 PM
digitalmonkey*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluef0x View Post
And Luongo and Havlat said whaaaaaaat?

digitalmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 02:07 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi24 View Post
And yes our D is attrocious with the likes of Muir, Heward and Pothier.
Tinner, you like either of Matvichuk or Wiemer. They look to be dump-able in order for Lou to keep Gomez, Gionta and Martin

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 02:10 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Tinner, you like either of Matvichuk or Wiemer. They look to be dump-able in order for Lou to keep Gomez, Gionta and Martin
Wiemer isn't a defenseman....

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Matvichuk was solid earlier in his career but now it looks like he's definitely on the downside. By the time the Caps compete he'll be long washed up.

If the Caps are going to give up a top prospect like Fehr in a package I would imagine it would be for a dman that is young, physical and good.

yeah, Weimer wouldnt help.

Collin White would be another story.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmonkey View Post

The Caps can't use a #1 centre?
Once he got healthy last year, Zubie was a point a game player, while maintaining a positive +/- on the Caps. That seems like a #1 center to me.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 02:41 PM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommieHunter View Post
Once he got healthy last year, Zubie was a point a game player, while maintaining a positive +/- on the Caps. That seems like a #1 center to me.
Eating leftover pizza out of a dumpster seems like a gourmet meal to someone living on the street.

Old
07-26-2006, 02:48 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
Eating leftover pizza out of a dumpster seems like a gourmet meal to someone living on the street.

EYEuhFRAYtee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Every team would love to have a player like Gomez.

BUT...if that team (the Caps) has gaping holes at other positions that require addressing (ie ZERO legit Right wingers outside of Zednik-last year of contract and Fehr -proposed as part of trade)

then it will hurt the team to make the trade. Especially for a player they can just wait and sign to a UFA contract next year anyhow. No legit Caps fan would sign off on this trade if they were the GM.

Our Defense is filled with waiverwire trash/extremely young players / and an overpaid #6 dman in Pothier....yet you think the Caps biggest need is to improve a position they are adequate at????

Old
07-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Caps don't make this deal unless they got Gomez signed long-term. You might as well quote me on that if this somehow happens, because they're not going to trade Fehr for a one-year rental.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 02:50 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Well, if we were to acquire Gomer...we'd be set at center and could swing Zubrus back to RW.

AO - Gomer - Zubrus
Semin - Backstrom - Flash/Fehr

*next season lines of course.

Old
07-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateWasGod View Post
Well, if we were to acquire Gomer...we'd be set at center and could swing Zubrus back to RW.

AO - Gomer - Zubrus
Semin - Backstrom - Flash/Fehr

*next season lines of course.
And then have to turn around and resign Gomez for about $5-6 mil per year, Zubrus for about $3-4 mil per year and the year after Ovechkin to a multiyear $7 mil per year contract....

Where will all this money come from ASSUMING they can sign Gomez in the first place before UFA?

Where will the money come from to fix the D?

Why give up Fehr if you want Gomez?????

Just WAIT and sign him as a UFA.

Old
07-26-2006, 02:55 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
And then have to turn around and resign Gomez for about $5-6 mil per year, Zubrus for about $3-4 mil per year and the year after Ovechkin to a multiyear $7 mil per year contract....

Where will all this money come from ASSUMING they can sign Gomez in the first place before UFA?

just saying...you don't have to jump down my throat.

Old
07-26-2006, 02:57 PM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:

What are your thoughts on Eminger and Green?

Old
07-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
What are your thoughts on Eminger and Green?
Off topic a bit but I'll bite:

Eminger, Green and Morrisonn are all good young dmen. Morrisonn is a big guy but not very physical and is more of a "positional" dman. Eminger and Green are average sized guys who try to play physical but are more "puck movers". None of them are top 2 dmen. All are solid 2nd pairing guys.

Outside of these three we have some longshots in Pokoluk and Schultz and a project in Finley. Our D is suffering. When Muir and Heward are your top D pairing you are in trouble. When you expect Pothier to stabalize your D...well something isnt right.

Our centers, if Backstrom pans out, will be ok. Great? probably not.

RW is a sore spot with Fehr the only legit guy.

Old
07-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Missionhockey

The Devils won't trade Gomez unless the return is decent. They might be taking Malakov, but Fehr would not be enough to pry Gomez from the Devils. Unless Washington doesn't want a free 1st round pick for either Malakov or Mogilny, the Devils would do much better taking their business elsewhere.

Missionhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 05:49 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Schaefer View Post
No reason whatsoever for Washington to make this deal. Gomez is potentially a one-year rental. Washington is rebuilding. They don't need an expesnive rental superstar, they need cheap potential. And then doing Jersey a favor by taking Malakhov? No thanks from a Caps point of view.
You find your way to reject this trade based totally on the one year rental assumtion. I think that's a big assumption. Turn that around that Gomez signs an extention with the Capitals in January and you have a major building block in this team's rebuild. At 26 he fits right in.

I don't think the deal would work as you structure it. Gomez for Fehr and a pick is more like it. IF salary cap concerns force NJ to trade Gomez, the return will be like that in some way. Maybe Fleischmann instead of Fehr. Maybe Schultz or Pokulok instead of Fehr.

I think to dump this trade because of the potential for it to be just one season is just too easy.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 06:09 PM
txpd

You can't take Tinordi there as the only point of view on the Caps defensemen. He has a point of view that is not universal. A burr under his saddle is the lack of a head buster defenseman. You can almost feel the distain with which he uses the phrase "puck movers" in his post.

Morrisonn is a real player. Mobile enough to chase loose pucks and cut off fast skaters, but big enough to stand his ground and muscle for a puck. Eminger is a Redden type defenseman who has the upside to be that good should he acheive it(which i doubt) and Green I think is the pick of the litter. I think you will find him to be a major find.

Heward and Muir are not the Capitals #1 defense pair, last season or this. Heward may have played on the #1 pair occasionally. Most of the season Witt-Eminger or Witt-Morrisonn was the #1 pair. Muir never played on the top pair and was never to be seen when Jagr, Kovulchuk, Sundin and so on were on the ice.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
You find your way to reject this trade based totally on the one year rental assumtion. I think that's a big assumption. Turn that around that Gomez signs an extention with the Capitals in January and you have a major building block in this team's rebuild. At 26 he fits right in.

I don't think the deal would work as you structure it. Gomez for Fehr and a pick is more like it. IF salary cap concerns force NJ to trade Gomez, the return will be like that in some way. Maybe Fleischmann instead of Fehr. Maybe Schultz or Pokulok instead of Fehr.

I think to dump this trade because of the potential for it to be just one season is just too easy.
While I agree that Gomez would fit nicely into the Caps' long-term plans, Gomez's recent comments have been that he will test the UFA waters next summer.

Absent an assurance (or even a tepid willingness) to negotiate a long-term deal before the season is over, I doubt that the Caps would seriously entertain giving up one (or two) of their top prospects in exchange for one year of Gomez. Whether or not I entertain the notion is beside the point, I doubt the front office will entertain the possibility unless they feel as though the prospects and picks they'll be giving up are far outweighed by acquiring (bare minimum) Gomez for one year.

In which case, one would think that the Devils could get more from another team which is more willing to give up a substantial portion of their farm if it means getting Gomez for a serious Cup run this year. Most likely a team in the Western Conference. (LA, Vancouver and Calgary have been rumored to be interested. I could easily see LA offering up a more sizeable amount for Gomez's services.)

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote