HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cammi re-signs, 1yr deal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-27-2006, 02:23 AM
  #26
riseandfall9
Registered User
 
riseandfall9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Or he could've gone the Frolov route and sign a 5 year deal.
Yeah, he could have showed some loyalty to the organization that gave him the shot . Like Frolov. I was all for trading Frolov but now Im all for getting rid of Cammy.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 02:34 AM
  #27
Kingz4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Armenia
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Yeah, he could have showed some loyalty to the organization that gave him the shot . Like Frolov. I was all for trading Frolov but now Im all for getting rid of Cammy.
I don't think that's fair. Cammy would make an average of about 2.5 TOPS if he signed a long term deal IMO. Frolov is getting paid an average of 2.9. Loyalty? C'mon, man he has a chance to have a break out year and ask for 4+ million a season and you expect him to pass that up to show he's loyal?

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:00 AM
  #28
jeffreyaa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GutFest '89
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
With how complacent Frolov seemed to play last year, I'm not sure the 5-year deal was such a great idea; maybe it's good to have a fire lit under you.... I'm glad Cammy's signed, I think he'll have a good year, then sign a longer term deal for a couple mil per season.

jeffreyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:01 AM
  #29
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyaa View Post
With how complacent Frolov seemed to play last year, I'm not sure the 5-year deal was such a great idea; maybe it's good to have a fire lit under you.... I'm glad Cammy's signed, I think he'll have a good year, then sign a longer term deal for a couple mil per season.
I still don't understand where people are getting this complacent, lazy and all of these other descriptions of Frolov from? Are you talking about the beginning of the year when the entire team was clicking and he was one of our leading scorers? Or are you talking about when he came back early from a shoulder injury to try and help a sinking team still make the playoffs? Pavol Demitra has the same demeanor as Frolov, how come no one thought that Demitra was "complacent"?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:43 AM
  #30
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I still don't understand where people are getting this complacent, lazy and all of these other descriptions of Frolov from? Are you talking about the beginning of the year when the entire team was clicking and he was one of our leading scorers? Or are you talking about when he came back early from a shoulder injury to try and help a sinking team still make the playoffs? Pavol Demitra has the same demeanor as Frolov, how come no one thought that Demitra was "complacent"?
Kings fans can be fickle sometimes. I posted this bit of information in another thread and it is worth repeating.

Frolov's 05-06 season went to crap (along with Demitra and everyone else on the roster save for Cammalleri) after he got hurt. He was ineffective, but so was Demitra. After Demitra returned from the Olympic break from his injury, he scored a total of three goals and two assists! Frolov, who is paid considerably less and hasn't been in the league as long as Demitra, had similar stats, with two goals and three assists after returning from his shoulder injury.

Their center, Craig Conroy, finished off with three goals and eight assists after the Olympic break. Visnovsky with three goals and eight assists as well.

Cammalleri after the break had seven goals and six assists. The only consistent performer to finish off the season. Oh and Avery, with five goals and four assists after the break.

I won't even mention JR's numbers. The players on the top line disappeared, and guys like Cammalleri and Avery were the only ones who were still producing, so people should quit singling out Frolov's lack of production (and drop suggesting Cammalleri to be traded!).

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:09 AM
  #31
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,292
vCash: 500
I can understand this deal. They get Mike sign for this year and if he continues to have success and is a good locker room guy, they sign him long term part way thru the season. My guess it'll be a 4yr 12-14 mil contract.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:13 AM
  #32
Tadite
Registered User
 
Tadite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI View Post
I can understand this deal. They get Mike sign for this year and if he continues to have success and is a good locker room guy, they sign him long term part way thru the season. My guess it'll be a 4yr 12-14 mil contract.

Besides beyond the hype he gets on HF Cammy needs to prove he can be a legit top-6 player for more then a year. Guy has had a mixed history when it comes to injuries.

So I think this 1 year deal is good for both the Kings/Cammy. Gives both a chance to reevaluate.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:47 AM
  #33
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
I think this complacency issue is just a Frolov trait in general. He seems to have talent, but little drive. That doesn't mean he sucks and it doesn't mean he's lazy. He just never seems passionate about anything. He just goes out there and methodically goes about playing. With his talent, that can still lead to good point totals...it just doesn't seem condusive to great point totals.

And maybe, Reaper, this taps into something that you were saying earlier...about people being disappointed in Fro because they expect too much of him. Maybe some people expect him to be a franchise-maker when, realistically he tops out as a good second-liner/capable first-liner.

And I'm not saying that he's gotten as good as he's going to be, either. He shows glimpses of very good puck possession skills, but, IMO, he has yet to figure out just how to use those skills to their best advantage (I remember a lot of times when he'd be skating around with the puck in the offensive zone, keeping checkers at bay, but never being able to turn the play into anything of value). That skill, very likely, could develop soon.

I think Frolov IS going to be better next year, but I don't think he's ever going to be as good as some were hoping. I used to think he'd be much better; now, I think I've come down in my expectations. And, like I've said before, I wouldn't be putting him on the chopping block just for the sake of doing it...however, I no longer consider him indispensable.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 02:41 PM
  #34
jeffreyaa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GutFest '89
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
I think this complacency issue is just a Frolov trait in general. He seems to have talent, but little drive. That doesn't mean he sucks and it doesn't mean he's lazy. He just never seems passionate about anything. He just goes out there and methodically goes about playing. With his talent, that can still lead to good point totals...it just doesn't seem condusive to great point totals.

And maybe, Reaper, this taps into something that you were saying earlier...about people being disappointed in Fro because they expect too much of him. Maybe some people expect him to be a franchise-maker when, realistically he tops out as a good second-liner/capable first-liner.

And I'm not saying that he's gotten as good as he's going to be, either. He shows glimpses of very good puck possession skills, but, IMO, he has yet to figure out just how to use those skills to their best advantage (I remember a lot of times when he'd be skating around with the puck in the offensive zone, keeping checkers at bay, but never being able to turn the play into anything of value). That skill, very likely, could develop soon.

I think Frolov IS going to be better next year, but I don't think he's ever going to be as good as some were hoping. I used to think he'd be much better; now, I think I've come down in my expectations. And, like I've said before, I wouldn't be putting him on the chopping block just for the sake of doing it...however, I no longer consider him indispensable.
Well put, KF. Whether it was the security blanket of a long and lucrative contract, a toxic LR environ or LA's inevitable injury issues, Fro just didn't look very inspired out there last season. I think he's got amazing raw talent and I do think if he had the drive of, say, Cammy, he'd be a monster out there.

I just didn't see him really pushing himself, trying new things, or generally working to take his game to the next level- to become a legitimate star in the league. He seemed content to play completely w/in himself and the game he already established. He did SLIGHTLY shoot more often, but not nearly enough; and he just wasn't terribly creative out there, which was a shame playing w/an offensively creative guy like Demitra.

As well, while puck possession is still a strength of his, he definitely seemed to get knocked off the puck more often last season than the previous one. To my eyes, he wasn't digging in; plus, of course, he was no longer an unknown novelty- other teams were more aware of him. But to be a star, you have to play through that additional defensive pressure.

I understand he has a lumbering stride that doesn't look as fast as it is, although I also don't think he's exactly got rocket packs on his skates either way.

Now, admittedly Andy Murray was not a terribly offensively creative coach, and maybe he penalized players for taking risks? If so, Fro could have a very different season this time around under Crow- I sure hope so. I'm not down on him; I just see greater potential in him, and want to see him earn those big dollars and become a star.

With good skill but mini-me size, Cammy is a good role model for pushing yourself to adapt and innovate. I'm glad he's under contract for another year, and I want to see a long-term deal once he shows he can sustain, and improve upon, last season's great performance- which I think he will do.


Last edited by jeffreyaa: 07-27-2006 at 02:50 PM.
jeffreyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:13 PM
  #35
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
On a side note, I guess this opens up a bit more cap space if DL's still looking.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:44 PM
  #36
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Guy has had a mixed history when it comes to injuries.
Are you talking about Cammalleri? He hasn't had a significant injury in over three years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
On a side note, I guess this opens up a bit more cap space if DL's still looking.
Good point. Though I imagine that Lombardi would've preferred a longer deal, this does give him an extra $800K or so of cap flexibility that could be used on one more addition (ex. could go a long way in having the room for Nolan).

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:00 PM
  #37
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Are you talking about Cammalleri? He hasn't had a significant injury in over three years.Good point. Though I imagine that Lombardi would've preferred a longer deal, this does give him an extra $800K or so of cap flexibility that could be used on one more addition (ex. could go a long way in having the room for Nolan).
Why would Lombardi worry about having room for Nolan? Nolan will be signing an incent heavy contract (if any at all) that would probably be worth about $1 million base pay. That would not be hard to fit under the cap even if Cammi saigned a bigger contract.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:25 PM
  #38
guzmania
Registered User
 
guzmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SCV
Country: United States
Posts: 2,492
vCash: 500
Known for my optimism I have been critical of the "Frolov is the future" posters. If Frolov ever hits 40 goals I'll be amazed. IMO he will end up as our 2nd line lefty. He'll get 30 probably. I hope. He has good skills but I think of him as combat challenged. I know it isn't a Muskovite trait but I sure like to see some fire about, well really, anything. He is diamonds and gold in a shoot out. It's the second period I worry about.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 05:05 PM
  #39
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
Why would Lombardi worry about having room for Nolan? Nolan will be signing an incent heavy contract (if any at all) that would probably be worth about $1 million base pay. That would not be hard to fit under the cap even if Cammi saigned a bigger contract.
Bonuses count against the cap, as well.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:34 PM
  #40
Kingz4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Armenia
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
I think people are missing the most important thing here. Frolov is still very young and he has been improving after each season. He's only going to get better and better just like a few have already posted. I agree he needs to play with more passion. If he does that then he would be unstoppable.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:39 PM
  #41
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life View Post
I think people are missing the most important thing here. Frolov is still very young and he has been improving after each season. He's only going to get better and better just like a few have already posted. I agree he needs to play with more passion. If he does that then he would be unstoppable.
Unfortunately, passion isn't really something you can teach.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:55 PM
  #42
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Unfortunately, passion isn't really something you can teach.
Again, Demitra hasn't ever been known as a passionate guy. People still ove to have him on their team. He produces and that's all that matters. So why does it matter if Frolov isn't passionate? He produces and that's what matters.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:58 PM
  #43
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Again, Demitra hasn't ever been known as a passionate guy. People still ove to have him on their team. He produces and that's all that matters. So why does it matter if Frolov isn't passionate? He produces and that's what matters.
I've made my opinion of Demitra clear...I think he's got loads of talent, but, at his core, is a periphery player.

And, honestly, he's got much more pure goal-scoring ability than Frolov.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:01 PM
  #44
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Again, Demitra hasn't ever been known as a passionate guy. People still ove to have him on their team. He produces and that's all that matters. So why does it matter if Frolov isn't passionate? He produces and that's what matters.
My guess is that some folks probably think that if Frolov was more passionate, he might be more productive....

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:03 PM
  #45
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I guess what I'm trying to say is that not everyone on your team will be a passionate guy, that's why you have some guys who are, and some who aren't. As long as it's not an entire team of guys like that, what's the deal?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:09 PM
  #46
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I guess what I'm trying to say is that not everyone on your team will be a passionate guy, that's why you have some guys who are, and some who aren't. As long as it's not an entire team of guys like that, what's the deal?
Like I said...I'm not advocating getting rid of him. Does the projection of good second liner/capable first liner not sit well with you?

He's not going to be a great player, but he'll certainly be a very good one.

I can see why people might want to throw him to the wolves because just a season ago, he was still being billed as a franchise player around here. Seeing as he's never going to live up to that, there's bound to be some disappointment.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:21 PM
  #47
ILuvLA
Registered User
 
ILuvLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lost in LA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
I love Frolov as much as anyone. With that said, he really needs to find a way to "break through" in the upcoming season. When the kid is on, he's on. When he's not, one wants to throttle him.....

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:22 PM
  #48
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Like I said...I'm not advocating getting rid of him. Does the projection of good second liner/capable first liner not sit well with you?

He's not going to be a great player, but he'll certainly be a very good one.

I can see why people might want to throw him to the wolves because just a season ago, he was still being billed as a franchise player around here. Seeing as he's never going to live up to that, there's bound to be some disappointment.
Oh I'm fine with it. And who's to say that he wont live up to being a franchise player? Everyone is expecting some breakout season from Cammalleri, a guy who's been far more inconsistent than the ever improving Frolov.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:28 PM
  #49
ILuvLA
Registered User
 
ILuvLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lost in LA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Oh I'm fine with it. And who's to say that he wont live up to being a franchise player? Everyone is expecting some breakout season from Cammalleri, a guy who's been far more inconsistent than the ever improving Frolov.
True enough. I would love to see Cammy & Fro have both have a great 06/07 season. Frolov appears to take his time while Cammalleri is more impatient. Who will end up as the better player in the end? At this point, it's a crap shoot as both have strengths and both have weaknesses.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:47 PM
  #50
Kingz4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Armenia
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Unfortunately, passion isn't really something you can teach.
That's true but I believe he has it in him. But he looks like a humble guy so maybe he doesn't want to show the other team up? I don't want him to start doing push-ups on the ice (LOL gotta love Avery) but I think he has a fire in him that will begin to burn a little more as he plays. I think a mix of Cammy's personality and Frolov's would be perfect. Cammy might need to be a little less "me, me, me" and Frolov needs to think about taking over games so he can become that talented star he has the potential to be.

Both of these guys have a great future ahead of them IMO. 1st line stars.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.