HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Legace, the forgotten one

Old
07-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Paxton Fettel

vCash: 500
Legace, the forgotten one

It looks like everyone has forgotten about Legace. I don't even understand why the Wings don't offer him a cheap deal. This guy is good, but obviously for whatever reason no one wants him.

Weird.

Is he going to retire?

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 07:57 PM
crashlanding

It makes no sense to me. He played well, but the Wings don't seem to put too much confidence in their goaltending as an organization. It makes it a lot easier to point at Legace when the team fails. I heard a rumor that he was asking for a $4M deal which, smartly, everyone seems to have passed on. Hopefully he's dropped his price since then.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 08:02 PM
branko_81

I remember during the series w/ the Oilers someone said that he was his biggest critic and that if the Wings did not advance past the Oilers (nevermind win the Cup) that he would not return to Detroit. As to why no one else has snapped him up... I have no clue
-B

branko_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Kassassian

I wonder if St.Louis will get him

Kassassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Freezerburn

I expect that Legace, a career backup, will sign with a team to do just that.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 08:14 PM
detredWINgs

Hell drop his price and a smart team will pick him up. a little over 1.5 seems fair.

Legace has the talent to be a starter, but not the mentality. Hes been raked over the coals in Detroit, but he was pretty bad in the playoffs. However, it has nothing to do with his game. His game is very sound, hes solid, hes a nice guy, but when he gives up a bad goal, his game drops.

Hed be a great goaltender for a small market team. St. Louis would be very smart to pick him up.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 08:19 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Hell drop his price and a smart team will pick him up. a little over 1.5 seems fair.

Legace has the talent to be a starter, but not the mentality. Hes been raked over the coals in Detroit, but he was pretty bad in the playoffs. However, it has nothing to do with his game. His game is very sound, hes solid, hes a nice guy, but when he gives up a bad goal, his game drops.

Hed be a great goaltender for a small market team. St. Louis would be very smart to pick him up.

I watched every Detroit game and Legace was as much to blame as the team.

The last game, though, he was fairly good but the team just completely let him down.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 08:53 PM
philthy mcnasty*

The Boys in Blue done ****ed his career over, in count 'em 6 games.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 08:56 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy mcnasty View Post
Joe Sakic ruined Roman Tureks career.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Freezerburn

Quote:
I disagree, there is simply not a market for goalies who are not #1's but want to be paid #1 type money.

Legace is a good goalie, quality guy, his mental focus can be questioned I suppose but he is a tandem goalie at best right now(ie Fernandez/Roloson situation, or Biron/Miller last year before Miller emerged). He could be used as a starter if necessary, but when it comes down to it, he is more suited to a backup role.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 08:59 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I watched every Detroit game and Legace was as much to blame as the team.

The last game, though, he was fairly good but the team just completely let him down.
They lost every game by a goal (excluding the lone EN). Manny Legace gave up AT LEAST one soft goal a game. Hell tell you that. Bacock and Holland will tell you that. And I dont have to do the math for you to tell you who really took away any fighting chance this team had. Legace had a few good periods of hockey, unfortunately, with 6 games up for grabs, he only really won one of them. Thats flat out not good enough for the playoffs, and thats all he needed to be: good enough.

Old
07-26-2006, 09:01 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Haha, in that case, you could say the same for the Nashville Predators in 04 when he was pulled after 4 games. If anything was going to "****" his career over, that wouldve done it. This wasnt the first playoff chance Manny Legace has blown lately.

Old
07-26-2006, 09:04 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post

1) I object to you implying that St. Louis is a "small market team". We HAVE the money to spend to the Cap if we wanted, there's just nothing out there worth spending it on right now(Legace included).

2) The last we Blues fans heard Legace was asking for 3 mil.
Unless that asking price drops significantly(IMO: 1.5 mil MAX) there's no chance we even look at him. We don't NEED to add a goalie, it's simply a depth move that Pleau and JD WANT to make(and No, I'm not mis-stating things. JD and Pleau were VERY clear, they only want a goalie to cover for injuries; if they *had* to go into the year with Sanford and Bacashihua they would do so willingly). Unless it is a perfect fit, we'll stand pat. We sure as heck aren't going to throw big money at a glorified backup like Legace.

kimzey59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
actually Turek played extremely well in his last season in the NHL... and had restructured his contract before the lockout... but when the entire season was missed he decided he would just stay home in teh czech republic...

and one player doesnt ruin anyones career... unless your name is bertuzzi or Samuelsson (or someother moron that ended a a career by hurting them)

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 09:10 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
1) I object to you implying that St. Louis is a "small market team". We HAVE the money to spend to the Cap if we wanted, there's just nothing out there worth spending it on right now(Legace included).

2) The last we Blues fans heard Legace was asking for 3 mil.
Unless that asking price drops significantly(IMO: 1.5 mil MAX) there's no chance we even look at him. We don't NEED to add a goalie, it's simply a depth move that Pleau and JD WANT to make(and No, I'm not mis-stating things. JD and Pleau were VERY clear, they only want a goalie to cover for injuries; if they *had* to go into the year with Sanford and Bacashihua they would do so willingly). Unless it is a perfect fit, we'll stand pat. We sure as heck aren't going to throw big money at a glorified backup like Legace.
I meant small market team in terms of the exposure and the pressure. A few years ago, that wasnt the case, but as of right now St. Louis isnt at grandiose heights.

As for dropping his asking price, thats what I meant. Around 1.5 in a splitting/backup/whatever role.

And finally, the reason why I said St. Louis would be smart to pick him up is because he is THE best backup goaltender in the NHL and considering that there are only two potential suitors for a goalie like Legace - Detroit and St. Louis - and we all know one of those teams is 100% not going to sign him, everyone knows Legace can wait as long as he wants and unless he wants to go to Europe, he needs a paycheck, at which point hell sign for far less than hes asking right now.

Old
07-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Poulinsflakjacket

Quote:
The game i feel ended Turek's career was when Owen Nolan put one past him at the end of the first period from center ice in a game 7.

Poulinsflakjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Osprey

I like Legace, but it's probably his own fault that he's jobless. He was asking for more than he was worth, and only now that nary a backup job is open, much less a starter job, is he lowering his demands. It's hard to have much sympathy, to be honest.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:07 PM
FlaPanthers7

Detroit will re-sign Legace...tomorrow

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:55 PM
crashlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalunatik1979 View Post
and one player doesnt ruin anyones career... unless your name is bertuzzi or Samuelsson (or someother moron that ended a a career by hurting them)
What about the Belarussian that effectively ended Salo's career?

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 11:59 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding View Post
Touché

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 12:38 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I like Legace, but it's probably his own fault that he's jobless. He was asking for more than he was worth, and only now that nary a backup job is open, much less a starter job, is he lowering his demands. It's hard to have much sympathy, to be honest.
That and he's a bit of a headcase. He doesn't seem to recover well from bad games and beats himself up in front of the press scrums. This kind of puts a downer on the entire locker room, and no one wants that.

ehc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 02:02 AM
Mike Works*

Send a message via AIM to Mike Works*
I think Columbus should sign him if they can get him cheap. They get a good regular season goaltender and won't have to worry about him crumbling in the playoffs.

Mike Works* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:43 AM
vatali
Life Long Slacker

Quote:
No, Owen Nolan did.

vatali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:58 AM
hdw

almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding View Post

It ended his NHL and National team career.

But he's still alive and well as starter for Frölunda Indians.
And played nice last season, even if they did lose the playoff final.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:06 AM
The Viking Fury

I'd like to see him somewhere in teh Southeast so Ovechkin can light him up 8 times a year. Sadly, I think everyone in the Southeast has a goalie

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote