HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reasons for optimism ...

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2003, 06:45 AM
igor*

vCash: 500
Reasons for optimism ...

Just thought I'd write down some of the real positives I see in this Oiler team right now:

They have more guys who can score now than in ages. Even in a game like last night ... where they were badly outchanced, they managed to pop 3 in. And they could have had more ... York had a couple chances that he buries more often than not, and the Smyth cross-crease pass to Hemsky in the first was ever so close to being a goal.

The Oilers are passing the puck really well. Some of them are getting intercepted ... but most are finding the mark.

The Oilers finally have a second line York, Dvorak and Torres are looking great out there.

RPM is one of the best checking lines in the league so far. And they are playing against some real high-end talent. I had my doubts, thought maybe the tail end of last year was a fluke ... it sure isn't looking that way. And the bookies bumped the EDM odds vs NYR up quite a bit when it was announced that Reasoner would not play ... no greater form of flattery for Marty IMO.

5 on 5 ---> the Oilers have gotten really good results. And this without their best players (Smyth and Hemsky) on form yet. Its a solid sign IMO ... special teams can be really streaky things, but with 5 on 5 hockey .... you gots what you gots.

Before last night, the Oilers had outchanced the opposition in SIX STRAIGHT GAMES! Pretty impressive stuff.

Bergeron ... the guy is either very lucky or very good. Either way its hard to argue with results. The Oilers seem to finally have a puck moving defenseman who fights for ice in his own zone, and is affordable.

Raffi Torres ... it is way, way to early to declare anyone an NHL goalscorer. But the guy definitely looks like an NHLer.

The Oilers will likely get better personell-wise over the season, for a couple of reasons ...
- young players generally improve.
- they'll probably get an NHLer back in trade for Comrie.

Goaltenders have yet to steal them a game ... and eventually they'll grab them a few this year.

The Oilers are just really fun to watch right now.

Looking at how young this group is, and knowing that the CBA renegotiation is looming .... its starting to seem possible that the Oilers can keep most of these guys together for a while. Fingers crossed

The End.

Old
11-12-2003, 06:49 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
good post, I agree there is ALOT of reason for optimism.

Old
11-12-2003, 07:13 AM
Asiaoil

Looking at the team at the beginning of the year I thought it would be a struggle up until Christmas. If they can hang around .500 until then though - lookout during last half of the year - this is a squad that could do some damage. Lots to like happening out there -especially the offense - and this coaching staff has been proven to be able to teach defense.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:30 AM
Cerebral

Everyone should keep in mind that we've played a lot of the top teams already this season as well.. we've played Colorado twice, Detroit, Boston, St. Louis, Vancouver, Ottawa.. it looks like our upcoming schedule gets a bit easier! We should hopefully come out of this month a few games above 0.500..

Old
11-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Everyone should keep in mind that we've played a lot of the top teams already this season as well.. we've played Colorado twice, Detroit, Boston, St. Louis, Vancouver, Ottawa.. it looks like our upcoming schedule gets a bit easier! We should hopefully come out of this month a few games above 0.500..
I believe one poster before the season mentioned this. The Oilers had to whether the storm in October because they had a tough schedule. They did lose 2 games to the Flameouts which I hope won't come back to haunt them.

Old
11-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
I believe one poster before the season mentioned this. The Oilers had to whether the storm in October because they had a tough schedule. They did lose 2 games to the Flameouts which I hope won't come back to haunt them.
Not if we win the next three it won't...

Closed Thread