HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Umberger update

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2003, 09:35 AM
galiano

vCash: 500
Umberger update

Last night on Sportstalk, Dan Russell interviewed Dave Nonis who was in Moscow following a few of the Canucks prospects. When asked about the status of talks with R J Umberger, Nonis said that there was nothing going on and that he hadn't spoken with Umberger's agent in a couple of weeks or more. He then said he would try to contact the agent once he got back to Vancouver but that the Canucks position would not change.

This looks more and more like it will end in a trade unless Umberger is willing to back down. Either the guy doesn't want to play in Vancouver or his agent is giving him crappy advice. Or maybe both.

Old
11-13-2003, 12:01 PM
Pangolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano
Last night on Sportstalk, Dan Russell interviewed Dave Nonis who was in Moscow following a few of the Canucks prospects. When asked about the status of talks with R J Umberger, Nonis said that there was nothing going on and that he hadn't spoken with Umberger's agent in a couple of weeks or more. He then said he would try to contact the agent once he got back to Vancouver but that the Canucks position would not change.

This looks more and more like it will end in a trade unless Umberger is willing to back down. Either the guy doesn't want to play in Vancouver or his agent is giving him crappy advice. Or maybe both.

The Canucks are offering less money to him than another player who is proven to be lesser to him in the same league on the same team. I would be insulted too.
This is between 100k. And neither is backing down.
And if the Canucks think that he's worth less than Kesler than they should move him.

Old
11-13-2003, 01:46 PM
LaVal

i'd really have to take Umberger's side on this from what i've heard from both parties.

my guess is his rights will be trade bait for a deadline aquisition. i'm sure there are lots of teams that would be willing to pay a bluechip offensive prospect 800k

Old
11-13-2003, 01:49 PM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin
The Canucks are offering less money to him than another player who is proven to be lesser to him in the same league on the same team. I would be insulted too.
This is between 100k. And neither is backing down.
And if the Canucks think that he's worth less than Kesler than they should move him.

It's really hard to understand why Vancouver would offer Kesler more than Umberger. As you say this could only be insulting to Umberger who certainly proved to be more of an offensive force at Ohio than Kesler was.

We could use an offensive prospect in the system and right now the Moose really need goals. Nope, I just don't get it.

Old
11-13-2003, 01:54 PM
nucks2001

vCash:
Did Nonis have anything to say about the russian prospects he was following?

Old
11-13-2003, 02:00 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
Burke is being stubborn. Umberger isn't asking for that much and most of it will be minor league salary anyway. Just sign the kid for what the signed Kesler for and be done with it.

Old
11-13-2003, 02:06 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
He talked about Ilja Krikunov quite a bit, and said some very good things about him. Even compared him to Morrison.

I didn't hear the whole interview, so I might've missed what he had to say about the other Russian prospects. Guess I'll just have to check the cknw archives

Old
11-13-2003, 03:01 PM
Rageinthecage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov
He talked about Ilja Krikunov quite a bit, and said some very good things about him. Even compared him to Morrison.

I didn't hear the whole interview, so I might've missed what he had to say about the other Russian prospects. Guess I'll just have to check the cknw archives
Unfortunately, Krikunov was the only Canucks prospect discussed. I was hoping Dan Russell would ask about a few others (Gladskikh, Grot, Danielsson, etc) but no luck. They spent more time discussing Ovechkin than anything else. As if the Canucks have a snowball's chance in hell at landing him.

Old
11-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Peter Griffin

Methinks Burke is just being a stubborn Irish man again. If both sides are just $100,000 apart, then I think Burke and Nonis are making a big mistake. I mean, the worst scenario is that Umberger plays 3 seasons in the Canucks franchise, never cracks the team on a regular basis and they lose roughly $300,000(roughly Umberger's salary in the minors over a 3 year term). The best case is that Umberger makes the Canucks, and they pay $100,000 more then they wanted to(although if he makes the team, I doubt they would care!). Some times I wish Burke would just bite the bullet in these situations...

That said, none of us here know what the situation is. For all we know, Umberger may be asking for a reasonable base salary, but a rediculous bonus structure. In any case, I hope this situation gets remedied in the near future, but that won't likely happen...

Old
11-14-2003, 06:39 AM
tristan76

Can any of the Ohio people here give us the lowdown on overall games? I think we all assume that Umberger is better offensively, but Kesler isn't being sold as an offensive player so much as a two way gritty player.

From what I have heard, Umberger doesn't play along these lines.

Old
11-14-2003, 06:49 AM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan76
Can any of the Ohio people here give us the lowdown on overall games? I think we all assume that Umberger is better offensively, but Kesler isn't being sold as an offensive player so much as a two way gritty player.

From what I have heard, Umberger doesn't play along these lines.

I understand that Umberger is a big guy who can really skate, has soft hands but has little or no grit to his game. If he played this season at Ohio he probably would have had a good shot at the Hobey Baker award and likely would have put up a lot of points.

Kesler may be a better prospect because of his grit but Umberger probably has more upside potential.

Closed Thread