HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possibilities of Gomez and KINGS interests...

Old
07-27-2006, 12:16 AM
shaayar78

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shaayar78
Possibilities of Gomez and KINGS interests...

I know there are threads already started a while back ago on Briere and Gomez....This article on FOX by Spectre suggests some possibilities what NJ can do with Gomez and their cap trouble...and also mentions Kings interest in Briere, and perharps Gomez too now....but I get the hint from this that Kings have more interest in Briere (IMO better to have then Gomez.....I saw him play a lot last season and this guy is AWESOME and has come into his own)!!!

"The Los Angeles Kings and Atlanta Thrashers, two clubs supposedly interested in Buffalo's Daniel Briere, might also have interest in him."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5819696

shaayar78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:23 AM
Mindcircus

Come on Lou, let's be friends.

Mindcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 02:27 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/inde...910.xml&coll=1

time to stop dreamin'

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:58 AM
shaayar78

Send a message via AIM to shaayar78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcircus View Post
Come on Lou, let's be friends.
I hope Darcy Reiger can be our friend in Buffalo!

shaayar78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 12:16 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Be that as it may (and I don't doubt Lou will try to keep him at such a reasonable price)...they're likely going to have to move someone...someone they don't want to move...

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
They still have players to re-sign who are restricted free agents, while sitting at $46.495 million, so I wouldn't be so quick to signal the all clear quite yet.

Unless that was sarcasm on your part, that is. I can never quite tell...

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

No not sarcasm ... but unless we want someone like Sergei Brylin, Richard Matvichuk, Brad Lukowich or Jason Wiemer ... because I think just like last year those will be the players LL moves, not Gomez or Gionta ... plus the fact that we are reaching our own CAP limits ... I think people are dreaming if they think we're really in the running for any big time transaction with Gomez or Briere, etc. ... however I do realize it's the offseason and there's little else to talk about so carry on

Old
07-27-2006, 04:48 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
No not sarcasm ... but unless we want someone like Sergei Brylin, Richard Matvichuk, Brad Lukowich or Jason Wiemer ... because I think just like last year those will be the players LL moves, not Gomez or Gionta ... plus the fact that we are reaching our own CAP limits ... I think people are dreaming if they think we're really in the running for any big time transaction with Gomez or Briere, etc. ... however I do realize it's the offseason and there's little else to talk about so carry on
I don't know...they were in the running for Chara and Shanahan and Luongo.

Obviously DL isn't afraid to go after big name players...

Maybe he's decided to close up shop for the summer, that all of the acquisitions he's made are enough, but I don't think it's stupid to think that he's been in the mix for some big names.

Old
07-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
No not sarcasm ... but unless we want someone like Sergei Brylin, Richard Matvichuk, Brad Lukowich or Jason Wiemer ... because I think just like last year those will be the players LL moves, not Gomez or Gionta
You might be right, but they're currently at $46.495 and ditching the players you listed...

Brylin - $1.520
Matvichuk - $1.368
Lukowich - $1.000
Wiemer - $0.950

Drops it by a total of $4.838 million, which would bring the cap number down to $41.657 million. That then leaves them $2.343 million to re-sign Brian Gionta, Paul Martin, and David Hale -- a very difficult task that I'm not seeing happening without further moves.

While the valuable players on the Devils might not land on the Kings, they still have some major issues to work through to get this whole cap mess sorted out.

Quote:
... plus the fact that we are reaching our own CAP limits ... I think people are dreaming if they think we're really in the running for any big time transaction with Gomez or Briere, etc. ... however I do realize it's the offseason and there's little else to talk about so carry on
I concur.

Old
07-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
You might be right, but they're currently at $46.495 and ditching the players you listed...
There's a NJ article from today that claims that they're exactly at $44M... at least that's what I recall reading.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 06:31 PM
ExplosionsintheGine

Breire seems more plausible.

ExplosionsintheGine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
There's a NJ article from today that claims that they're exactly at $44M... at least that's what I recall reading.
Elias - 6.000
Brodeur - 5.200
Gomez - 5.000
Rafalski - 4.200
Malakhov - 3.600
Mogilny - 3.500
White - 3.000
Madden - 2.958
Langenbrunner - 2.800
McGillis - 2.200
Brylin - 1.520
Matvichuk - 1.368
Lukowich - 1.000
Wiemer - 0.950
Pandolfo - 0.836
Marshall - 0.760
Parise - 0.703
Janssen - 0.450
Rupp - 0.450
Gionta - ?????
Martin - ?????
Hale - ?????

Total: 46.495

On reflection, I didn't even include a backup goaltender's salary in that calculation so it's even higher than 46.495.

Old
07-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Osprey

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/inde...910.xml&coll=1
Quote:
That drops the Devils current cap figure to the $44 million limit, of which $7.1 million is due to Malakhov ($3.6 million) and Alexander Mogilny ($3.5 million).

Old
07-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
I don't know...they were in the running for Chara and Shanahan and Luongo. Obviously DL isn't afraid to go after big name players...

Maybe he's decided to close up shop for the summer, that all of the acquisitions he's made are enough, but I don't think it's stupid to think that he's been in the mix for some big names.
No I didn't mean it like that ... but I mean TODAY {or the last week or more}, we're too close to our own CAP limit now ... we didn't get Chara so Lombardi got Blake, I can live with that, but that kinda limited us going out and getting another high profile D man right ? yeah Shanahan was mentioned, but then we signed Thorton, McCauley, Willsie, Cloutier, etc. ... just saying that after all those moves and still getting deals with the RFA's done we weren't serious contenders for Gomez or Briere. We just didn't have the room to take on more CAP room without trading it back, and NJ nor Buffalo would want to take any back since they're trying to clear their own CAP room ... so the Kings make bad a trade partner with those teams right now.

Old
07-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
If you look at the article, he doesn't even make mention of Dan McGillis (who is on the book for 2.2 million) along with Mogilny and Malakhov when talking about the deadspace in the cap. If he left him off then that might explain why he thinks they're right around 44~44.5 million when I'm crunching out 46~46.5 million.

That's just speculation on my part though on why our numbers aren't matching up.

Old
07-27-2006, 07:42 PM
devilinto

I really hope we get Briere. This guy is good.

devilinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 07:43 PM
johnjm22

Paul Martin would be a great pickup...

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 07:47 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
No I didn't mean it like that ... but I mean TODAY {or the last week or more}, we're too close to our own CAP limit now ... we didn't get Chara so Lombardi got Blake, I can live with that, but that kinda limited us going out and getting another high profile D man right ? yeah Shanahan was mentioned, but then we signed Thorton, McCauley, Willsie, Cloutier, etc. ... just saying that after all those moves and still getting deals with the RFA's done we weren't serious contenders for Gomez or Briere. We just didn't have the room to take on more CAP room without trading it back, and NJ nor Buffalo would want to take any back since they're trying to clear their own CAP room ... so the Kings make bad a trade partner with those teams right now.

That depends...they might not want salary back, but they might be willing to take a cheaper salary as a replacement of sorts.

Also, if need be, someone like Sopel can be unloaded for a pick.

Old
07-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Osprey

Quote:
yeah Shanahan was mentioned, but then we signed Thorton, McCauley, Willsie, Cloutier, etc.
Actually, Lombardi was rumored to be pursuing Shanahan after all of those signings.
Quote:
...just saying that after all those moves and still getting deals with the RFA's done we weren't serious contenders for Gomez or Briere. We just didn't have the room to take on more CAP room without trading it back...
I understand what you're saying, but, then, why are the Kings said to be inquiring about both? I'm sure that Lombardi knows what he can make happen and what he can't.

Old
07-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
.... I understand what you're saying, but, then, why are the Kings said to be inquiring about both? I'm sure that Lombardi knows what he can make happen and what he can't.
Good point ! ...... counter point = you'd think Lou Lamoriello would too, now wouldn't you ?

Old
07-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Good point ! ...... counter point = you'd think Lou Lamoriello would too, now wouldn't you ?
I don't follow how that's a counter point to what I said, but I agree that Lamoriello knows what he's doing, too. I think that he knows what to do to make keeping Gomez possible, but is open to a trade if a team wants to overpay for the "privilege" of making his job easier. Lombardi may be inquiring, but I doubt that he'd end up paying the cost. Perhaps we agree there.

Old
07-27-2006, 11:13 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFANINTO View Post
I really hope we get Briere. This guy is good.
Don't hold your breath.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:14 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Paul Martin would be a great pickup...
True- but don't hold your breath either.

Old
07-27-2006, 11:19 PM
ILuvLA

Call me crazy, but honestly, I can't see DL mortgaging the "farm" to pick up either Martin or Briere. First of all, I don't see NJ giving up Martin, he's a young d-man that they sorely need in their system.

Briere? Well, it would depend on the price tag. I think that DL's going to be rather conservative in the young assets that he's willing to part with in order to acquire Briere. I think that DL is thinking of the long term picture and not an immediate fix.

P.S. I realize that starting this post as "Call me crazy" is only asking to get slammed, so take your best shots boys.

Old
07-28-2006, 02:14 AM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
You are crazy.....

AnThGrt is offline   Reply With Quote