HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Predictions for 06-07

Old
07-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Bam Beet*

vCash: 500
Line Predictions for 06-07

Gotta pass some time before the next big trade or signing.
I think alot will depend on how Turgeon performs at camp. If he regains his form from early on last year then there will be a spot for him on Svatos line. If not i doubt he will be in the lineup at all. He is of no use unless he is with a scorer.

Option #1 (If Turgeon looks good in camp)
Line 1 Brunette-Sakic-Hejduk
Line 2a Wolski-Arnason-Lappy
Line 2b Kono-Turgeon-Svatos
Line 4 Laaksonen-Richardson-McCormick/Stastny/Rycroft

Option #2 (If Turgeon cannot keep up and plays bad at training camp)
Line 2 Kono-Arnason-Svatos
Line 3 Wolski-Richardson-Lappy
Line 4 Laaksonen-Stastny -McCormick

Richardson and Stastny could be switched for option #2. What do you guys think and do you agree alot will depend on how Turgeon performs??

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 02:56 AM
El_Loco_Avs

If Turgeon performs well I'd put him on the second line (to reunite last year's line with Kono and Svatos). Turgs is useless on a third line... i think

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:22 AM
motojime

I like option #2

The only adjustment I would make is switching Wolski and Kono.

Line 2 Wolski-Arnason-Svatos
Line 3 Kono-Richardson-Lappy
Line 4 Laaksonen-Stastny-McCormick

motojime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:53 AM
avsfan6*

LW
Wolski
Brunette
Konowalchuk
Laaksonen
May
C
Sakic
Turgeon
Arnason
Mclean (depending if he is signed or not)
Richardson

RW
Hejduk
Svatos (depending if he gets signed which the avs should do)
Laperier
Rycroft
McCormick

D
Liles
Brisbois
Leopold
Klee
Clark
Skrastins
Vannanen

G
Theodore
Budaj

avsfan6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 12:51 PM
avs_19*

Brunette-Sakic-Hejduk
Wolski-Turgeon-Svatos
Kono-Arnason-Lappy
Laks-Maclean-Rycroft

Leopold-Liles
Skrastins-Clark
Vannanen-Brisebois

2006/2007 Vezina Winner - THEO
Budaj

avs_19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs_19 View Post
Brunette-Sakic-Hejduk
Wolski-Turgeon-Svatos
Kono-Arnason-Lappy
Laks-Maclean-Rycroft

Leopold-Liles
Skrastins-Clark
Vannanen-Brisebois

2006/2007 Vezina Winner - THEO
Budaj
you need to put Arnason with at least one skilled player. I think if you change Wolski and Kono that would help.

Old
07-27-2006, 03:33 PM
avs_19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic's-A-Legend View Post
you need to put Arnason with at least one skilled player. I think if you change Wolski and Kono that would help.
It all depends on Turgeon, last year at the beginning Wolski,Turgeon,Svatos were very good together thats why I put them oin one line but if Turgeon doesnt play like he did at the start of last year then bring Arnason up to the 2nd line.

avs_19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:44 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs_19 View Post
It all depends on Turgeon, last year at the beginning Wolski,Turgeon,Svatos were very good together thats why I put them oin one line but if Turgeon doesnt play like he did at the start of last year then bring Arnason up to the 2nd line.
If Kono-Turgeon-Svatos don't get it done at camp and can't find their magic, I'd go ahead and move Wolski in to center Svatos and start getting the youngsters used to playing together. They are after all the future.

Bruno-Sakic-Hejduk
Kono-Wolski-Svatos
Antti-Tyler-Lappy
May/Richardson-Richardson/Stastny-Cody

I for one would like to see Stastny go ahead and make the team and start getting some ice time on the third and fourth lines to get his feet wet and see what he can do.

expatriated_texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
If Kono-Turgeon-Svatos don't get it done at camp and can't find their magic, I'd go ahead and move Wolski in to center Svatos and start getting the youngsters used to playing together. They are after all the future.

Bruno-Sakic-Hejduk
Kono-Wolski-Svatos
Antti-Tyler-Lappy
May/Richardson-Richardson/Stastny-Cody

I for one would like to see Stastny go ahead and make the team and start getting some ice time on the third and fourth lines to get his feet wet and see what he can do.
I agree with you here. If Turgeon can't find the magic anymore than he should be a healthy scratch. I like the idea of Wolski centering Svatos it's just that I hate to "waste" Arnason by putting him with grinders. The only way to get the mosy out of him is by putting him with skilled players. If Turgeon isn't ready to go i would do this:

Bruno-Sakic-Duke
Wolski/Kono-Arnason-Svatos
Kono/Wolski-Richardson-Lappy
Laaks-Stastny-McCormick

Kono should be on the "second line" for 5on5 because of his grit but on powerplays we can switch Kono with Wolski.

Old
07-27-2006, 04:17 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
I agree with you here. If Turgeon can't find the magic anymore than he should be a healthy scratch. I like the idea of Wolski centering Svatos it's just that I hate to "waste" Arnason by putting him with grinders. The only way to get the mosy out of him is by putting him with skilled players. If Turgeon isn't ready to go i would do this:

Bruno-Sakic-Duke
Wolski/Kono-Arnason-Svatos
Kono/Wolski-Richardson-Lappy
Laaks-Stastny-McCormick

Kono should be on the "second line" for 5on5 because of his grit but on powerplays we can switch Kono with Wolski.

I know the general consensus is that if Turgeon is not on the second line, he should be benched. But do you think that by putting him on a third line with Stastny on his wing, Paul could learn more from watching and playing with him?

That would mean moving either Arnason to wing or up to second line center. Not sure how I feel about that but I sure hate to waste what I've come to believe Turgeon's biggest asset is...his mentoring and coaching of our young guys.

I also think if we put three (or god-forbid four) lines together that Coach Q will actually roll all night long (with the first line getting more time) I'm not so sure that Turgeon's role will take the hit everyone thinks if he plays on the third or fourth during the regular season. The key is rolling Turgeon's line equally to whatever the second line's playing time is.

It could be good to have a top line...two second lines and a grinding line or a top line and three second lines with a bunch of promising youths scattered throughout.

I just can't see Q, FG or PL allowing the team to go the whole year paying Turgeon to ride the pine or dress pretty in the press box. They need to use his strengths, which I have said over and over again revolve around his ability to mentor and coach the young kids that can play with him. He's great behind the net and both Wolski and Stastny could probably learn a lot of that from playing with him at times.

Old
07-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
I know the general consensus is that if Turgeon is not on the second line, he should be benched. But do you think that by putting him on a third line with Stastny on his wing, Paul could learn more from watching and playing with him?

That would mean moving either Arnason to wing or up to second line center. Not sure how I feel about that but I sure hate to waste what I've come to believe Turgeon's biggest asset is...his mentoring and coaching of our young guys.

I also think if we put three (or god-forbid four) lines together that Coach Q will actually roll all night long (with the first line getting more time) I'm not so sure that Turgeon's role will take the hit everyone thinks if he plays on the third or fourth during the regular season. The key is rolling Turgeon's line equally to whatever the second line's playing time is.

It could be good to have a top line...two second lines and a grinding line or a top line and three second lines with a bunch of promising youths scattered throughout.

I just can't see Q, FG or PL allowing the team to go the whole year paying Turgeon to ride the pine or dress pretty in the press box. They need to use his strengths, which I have said over and over again revolve around his ability to mentor and coach the young kids that can play with him. He's great behind the net and both Wolski and Stastny could probably learn a lot of that from playing with him at times.
Yeah thats a good point. I agree Turgeon can help along Wolski, Richardson and possibly Stastny if he is with the big club for one more year and who better to learn from than two hall of famers in Sakic and Turgeon. Next year will be a year in which our older guys will hopefully show the ropes to some of our rookies and lead them into a successfull career.

Old
07-28-2006, 05:07 AM
loomis

konowalchuk-sakic-hejduk
brunette-turgeon-svatos
laaksonen-arnason-wolski
may-richardson-laperriere

liles-skrastins
leopold-brisebois
clark-klee/vaananen

loomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 08:32 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:

I like the way you're thinking.

I think we basically need to play Turgeon for at least the first half of the season, he is usually still healthy and if he plays like he did the first half of last season then he's a real asset.

If nothing else he can help along the youngsters on the team as he helped Wolski and Svatos last year. He's a smart player, he may not be able to physically do what he did years ago, but I think his veteran presence will help younger players adjust.

Once (I hope he doesn't, but it's almost a guarantee he will be) he gets his first injury (ies) then you switch the youngsters into the bigger prime time roles.

I'd like to see Turgeon hired in some role for player development once his playing career is over, I really like the way he's helped our two biggest rookies adjust.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 11:12 AM
hoserthehorrible

Quenneville tends to like to roll a top scoring line and two seceondary scoring lines with a 4th line that is an energy line. Given that, I think Turgeon can and will center the 2nd or 3rd line and will be equally effective regardless of which of those two lines he plays on.

If I had to guess at this point I'd go with something along the lines of this...

1) Brunette-Sakic-Hejduk (top scoring line)
2a) Konowolchuk-Arnason-Svatos (secondary scoring)
2b) Wolski-Turgeon-Laperriere (secondary scoring)
4) Laaksonen-McClean/Richardson-McCormick/May (Energy line)

1) Leopold-Brisebois (offensive pairing)
2) Skrastins-Clark (plays against opponent's top line)
3) Vaananen-Liles (least minutes)

Extra) Klee (rotate in as needed)

1) Theodore (75% - 80%)
2) Budaj (20% - 25%)

hoserthehorrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Wolski-Sakic-Hejduk
Konowalchuk-Arnason-Svatos
Brunette-Turgeon-Laperriere
Laaksonen-Richardson-McCormick/May

Don't know about the defensive pairings, but PLEASE no more Brisebois-Vaananen.

Boy it'd be great if Stastny somehow made his way onto this team, but it doesn't look like there's room for him.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Bruno Sakic Hejduk
Kono Arnason Svatos
Wolski Turgeon Lappy
Laaksonen Richardson McCormick/May

Leopold Skrastins
Liles Vaananen
Klee/Clark Brisebois

Theo

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoserthehorrible View Post
Quenneville tends to like to roll a top scoring line and two seceondary scoring lines with a 4th line that is an energy line. Given that, I think Turgeon can and will center the 2nd or 3rd line and will be equally effective regardless of which of those two lines he plays on.

If I had to guess at this point I'd go with something along the lines of this...

1) Brunette-Sakic-Hejduk (top scoring line)
2a) Konowolchuk-Arnason-Svatos (secondary scoring)
2b) Wolski-Turgeon-Laperriere (secondary scoring)
4) Laaksonen-McClean/Richardson-McCormick/May (Energy line)

1) Leopold-Brisebois (offensive pairing)
2) Skrastins-Clark (plays against opponent's top line)
3) Vaananen-Liles (least minutes)

Extra) Klee (rotate in as needed)

1) Theodore (75% - 80%)
2) Budaj (20% - 25%)
I think you are right about the two secondary scoring lines after the top line. However you might as wel just put Turgeon with Kono and Svatos because at least we know they have good chemistry. Also I don't like putting Brisebois on the top pairing at all. If you want an offensive pairing then why don't you just put Liles with Leopold? Plus you have two right defencemen playing on the top pairing and two left defencemen playing on the last pairing.

Old
07-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Horsehouse

I dont have a problem mixing Arnason up with Turgeon's line. The problem is I dont see either Arnason or Turgeon putting up good points with Svatos further than half-way through the season. Turgeon wouldn't stay healthy and Arnason would let up on the accelerator. I think its what happened in Chicago when he played with Vorobiev. Pick your poison. I just hope Svatos is playing next season.

Horsehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse house View Post
I dont have a problem mixing Arnason up with Turgeon's line. The problem is I dont see either Arnason or Turgeon putting up good points with Svatos further than half-way through the season. Turgeon wouldn't stay healthy and Arnason would let up on the accelerator. I think its what happened in Chicago when he played with Vorobiev. Pick your poison. I just hope Svatos is playing next season.
Yeah because Chicago was mathematically out of the playoffs midway through the year so no wonder he didn't give it his all.

Old
07-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Yeah because Chicago was mathematically out of the playoffs midway through the year so no wonder he didn't give it his all.
That doesn't excuse that kind of attitude. I don't like that "Larry Walker" type of quality in players.

Old
07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Yea, but he apparently had the same attitude and work ethic playing for the cup favorite Sens too.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Idaho_Potato

Brunette-Sakic-Hejduk
Kono-Turgeon-Svatos
Wolski-Arnason-Laperriere
Laaksonen-Stansty-McCormick
Callups:McLean, Richie, Rycroft, May
-all the lines get a little bit of everything...

Leopold-Liles (if Leo and Liles both improve their defense)
Skrastins-Clark
Vaananen-Breisbois 50%/Klee 50% (they rotate out every couple games...)
Callups:Boychuck and Klee

Theodore
Budaj

Idaho_Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 06:37 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsfan 101 View Post
Brunette-Sakic-Hejduk
Kono-Turgeon-Svatos
Wolski-Arnason-Laperriere
Laaksonen-Stansty-McCormick
Callups:McLean, Richie, Rycroft, May
-all the lines get a little bit of everything...

Leopold-Liles (if Leo and Liles both improve their defense)
Skrastins-Clark
Vaananen-Breisbois 50%/Klee 50% (they rotate out every couple games...)
Callups:Boychuck and Klee

Theodore
Budaj
I can live with that...but did you find a team willing to take Saur from us? I think we're better off with him being a callup than Boychuk. I think it will be an intresting battle between Klee, Saur, and Johnny in camp. If Boychuk doesn't make it this year, I figure his window will be closed. He's now what....22 and I don't believe he's played a game yet. Father time is ticking on him.

Old
07-29-2006, 02:52 AM
Belgican

Hi, back from holidays in Italy.

I saw the Avs signed Paul Stastny, and as a former Nords fan who had the chance to see his father play at The Colisee, I'm thrilled Paul is signed. You never know, some prospects will chose to go UFA and sign with another team, so that's great news IMO, although I read from Jori that he'll propably play in the AHL.

Nevertheless, with the new CBA, we have no choice to push some cheap prospects into the lineup. So I make the guess, PS will make the lineup.

Wolski-Sakic-Hejduk

I don't like the fact to have too many rookies on the same line, even more if they are not responsible defensively. Brunette did great with Sakic, but it's a new season now. Also, the signing of PS sends Wolski back to LW.

Konowalchuk-Stastny-Svatos

Kono is a former captain, he's also someone who will stand up for his linemates if abused, therefore I see him on this line. Stastny will play on the top 2 lines, or will play in the AHL, no way he'll play on the bottom 2 lines IMO. Paul and Svatos are 2 youngsters on the same line, but PS is already good defensively, is a good faceoff player, and Svatos doens't shy off traffic.

Brunette-Richardson-Laperriere

Great defensive line, Richardson will play with 2 very experienced players who will help him defensively, and who will be able to make him produce much more than last season.

Laaksonen-Arnason-McCormick

I guess MacLean won't be signed. Arnason has everything to prove, the Avs just can't give him the second center spot right away just based on his talent. Yes, Arnason is working during the summer to get in condition, but IMO he just could falter on the Avs just as he did with the Sens, Turgeon is our insurance here. If healthy and motivated, he will probably make the lineup.

Extras : May

Belgican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Paul himself admitted that he may play in the AHL. I understand how the new CBA applies to college players, but Paul had two years of eligibility left. Signing him now saves the Avs money because Paul was a likely favorite for the Hobey Baker award next year and would have received a similar deal to what San Jose gave Matt Carle. The Avs are apparently making a late push to sign TJ Hensick. This makes sense as Hensick would become a UFA if not signed by August 15, 2007. If the college player has the talent to make it in the NHL, that player most likely wont stay more then three years. IMO, if Paul is stuck in the AHL for most of the season, he would be been better off staying at DU for one more season. Signing him for cheap now is a benefit, but you are also wasting one year of his deal if he plays in the AHL next season. Hensick on the other hand would need seasoning in the AHL regardless of whether he leaves Michigan now or stays for his senior year.

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote