HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Article on Hugh Jessiman

Old
07-28-2006, 10:12 AM
DarthSather99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I gotta agree that this will be a big year in determining which direction Hugh will go.

I do agree that he's stalled as well.

His game was never quite as good at the college level as it was that draft year (and if I here that stupid injury excuse again I am going to scream).

He was good at the ECHL level, but I just wasn't that impressed at the AHL level. Aside from the fact that he was so big, you notice. If I didn't know any background, he looked like a pretty mediocre AHL rookie.

I'm by no means expecting a finished product, but there really hasn't been a sizeable step forward in his game. Not just from an offensive standpoint, just from the hockey sense standpoint.

I'm sorry to say I just don't see the hockey sense, I don't think he see's the ice very well. And while conditioning and going to the net is nice, the lack of hockey sense is what REALLY concerns me. I don't really see a problem with him growing into his body so much as I see his lack of vision of the ice exposed any time he players higher competition (prospect camps, world junior camps, tougher AHL team's, etc.).

There just seems to be a fine line of where his game has trouble translating past that point. I don't know where exactly it is, but it seems like when he plays past a certain speed his game is really maginalized.
I think a bit part of this is that Hugh just wasn't ready for the AHL last year. I thought that he needed to finish out his college career as he didn't really dominate. Many people are on the Greg Moore bandwagon this year as he had an outstanding Senior season. Hugh could have had the same.

Hugh claims that the year in pro really helped him understand what it takes to be a pro. He would have gotten that anyway eventually. He could have worked on his game at the college level with much less pressure and room to operate.

IMO Hugh had alot thrown at him last year and he just wasn't ready or good enough to play at the AHL level. I'm hoping that his maturing as a player will pay dividends.

Comparing Moore's/Jessiman's sophmore years (same year 2003/2004)
Jessiman 34G 16G 17A 33Pts 71PIM's
Moore 33G 14G 8A 22pts 42PIM's

Both players are projected as power forwards. Moore's output actually dropped his Junior year

Moore 36G 13G 8A 21pts 14PIM's

but he rebounded with an outstanding senior year.

Moore 42G 28G 17A 45pts 47PIM's

I'm not saying they are the same player just comparing how a player could be projected a long shot (Moore last year) and then be a favorite to make the roster the following year. One year can make a world of a difference.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 10:16 AM
TheRedressor

It's Official 2006-2007 is the Year of Hugh Jessiman!

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 10:45 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
I'm not saying they are the same player just comparing how a player could be projected a long shot (Moore last year) and then be a favorite to make the roster the following year. One year can make a world of a difference.
And no one is saying that Jessiman cannot have a big year, which would change the preception of him. However, the fact of the matter is that Moore HAS taken a step forward in his development, while Hugh has not. Hugh has not even taken a baby step.

We all want to see Jessiman be a success, but the lack of any type of progress is rather alarming. I am not expecting to see him set the world on fire this upcoming year, but some kind of a tangible step forward is not too much to ask for from a player that was drafted 3 years ago, is it? No one has given up on him, but the alarm bells are going off.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
And no one is saying that Jessiman cannot have a big year, which would change the preception of him. However, the fact of the matter is that Moore HAS taken a step forward in his development, while Hugh has not. Hugh has not even taken a baby step.
again I'd dispute that. but it's not like it really matters...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 11:56 AM
CJB

This is just a year (and subsequent years to follow) to show that he will progressed and move up a notch in terms of his overall play, which I think he will. With his type of work ethic and attitude towards improving only time will prevent him from becoming the powerforward this team envision when the NYR drafted him.

CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 12:05 PM
bigblue21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
again I'd dispute that. but it's not like it really matters...
I'd dispute that as well. Put Jessiman in Moore's place last year, playing in Hockey East instead of the ECHL/AHL, and he would have had a season as good or better.

bigblue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by njranger21 View Post
I'd dispute that as well. Put Jessiman in Moore's place last year, playing in Hockey East instead of the ECHL/AHL, and he would have had a season as good or better.
I'm not even going that far. I just feel that by the time he was called back up to Hartford, he had made enough improvement to be considered a real AHL player. He improved a lot from the beginning of that year to the end, and hopefully that continues.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 12:59 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB View Post
With his type of work ethic and attitude towards improving only time will prevent him from becoming the powerforward this team envision when the NYR drafted him.
Unfortunately, that is not accurate. Time is not the only thing that is preventing him from being the player that the team envisioned. There are other factors involved. That he has made the least amount of progress out of any of the other first rounders in that draft is evident. Time is not the only thing going against him. If it were, he would not have been lapped by the likes of Greg Moore & Dubinsky.

Old
07-28-2006, 01:03 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by njranger21 View Post
There are other factors in play here. He has been outplayed at every level, following his freshman year in Dartmouth. This in includes WJC training camp and the various camps that the Rangers have had.

You cannot make a blanket statement that would have Jessiman having as good a year as Moore, while playing for Maine. Jessiman was getting outplayed his sophmore year in the ECAC. Jessiman was going against the best college competition and become one of the NCAA's leading goal scorers. His play turned head and opened eyes. He did this as a senior and then came up and impressed during the AHL playoffs. He is so far ahead of Jessiman at this point, that Hugh is not evena consideration as to comparisons.

Old
07-28-2006, 01:31 PM
bathgate

Quote:
There are other factors in play here. He has been outplayed at every level, following his freshman year in Dartmouth. This in includes WJC training camp and the various camps that the Rangers have had.

You cannot make a blanket statement that would have Jessiman having as good a year as Moore, while playing for Maine. Jessiman was getting outplayed his sophmore year in the ECAC. Jessiman was going against the best college competition and become one of the NCAA's leading goal scorers. His play turned head and opened eyes. He did this as a senior and then came up and impressed during the AHL playoffs. He is so far ahead of Jessiman at this point, that Hugh is not evena consideration as to comparisons.
T.B. Good to see you back on the boards. Been travelling for business so I have not been too active. However, the story of the tortoise and the hare comes to mind. Jessiman may be the tortoise. Agreed that all others drafted in his year have made huge strides. Personally, I wanted Getzlaf. Nevertheless,I saw Curt Bennett become a power forward after our mistreatment and others bloom after several years. Patience is required for Jessiman.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 01:48 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Patience is required for Jessiman.
I understand that and agree. All that I am saying is that this year Jessiman HAS to show some kind of positive progress. If his name was not Jessiman and he was not the 12th overall pick in the deepest draft in 30 years, would he even be a topic of discussion?

Old
07-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
As I stated a few weeks ago, Hugh is really working hard this summer. I spoke with him again the other day and he says he is in the best shape of his life and he is confident that he will make the Rangers 3rd line LW spot. He told me that at the prospect camp that Renney told guys like himself, Dawes etc, that their would be an opening at that spot for them to win. Hugh is on a mission my friends.

Interesting. Great that you were able to get the face time.

I remember reading some quotes from about a year ago where Hugh said he wanted to play the off wing. He felt he could make better use of his shot, get it off quicker, get more one timers, etc.

I'm trying to remember if he played left wing at all last year. Did he?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Hugh has always displayed a great attitude, work ethic, and basic likability. The problem is that he hasn't translated it to a lot of success on the ice. Again, I'm willing to wait on him. He might be one of those guys who finally "gets it" a little later than most and puts it all together. I do think, however, that he needs to start showing improvement. I think if he spends the year taking a regular AHL shift, doesn't look out of place, and gets 30 or so points, we should consider that a success and be happy that he's made some progress.

Potted Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 05:05 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Which wasn't my point at all. My point was that, sometimes, it doesn't really matter where you played the season before.
It matters both where and how you played the season before. If a player can not compete on a level that is signifigantly lower than how can you expect him to make that much of a considerable jump? The jump for Prucha was not as great as he played fairly well on a professional team for 2 years before coming to North America. Jessiman struggled to make the AHL.

RANGERDIEHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 06:12 PM
CJB

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is not accurate. Time is not the only thing that is preventing him from being the player that the team envisioned. There are other factors involved. That he has made the least amount of progress out of any of the other first rounders in that draft is evident. Time is not the only thing going against him. If it were, he would not have been lapped by the likes of Greg Moore & Dubinsky.
True I should have been more cautious with my word (only). Its true that he has made the least progressed out of any first roudners taken at his draft. But lets not forget what happened to him in his junior year. Fact is he got hurt, that took a season away. What happens usually is you have to get back on the road. The next year, went straight to the AHL, I didnt really expect him to adjust to the higher level that quickly after a season off, if anybody saw Jessiman from the beginning of the Wolfpack season (Including his stint in the ECHL) to the end, he improve. This season as several have noted including myself have noted this year should be a telling tale if Jessiman can improve his overall game.

As for being lap by Greg Moore and Dubinsky. Right now yes, Dubisnky is really opening up my eyes but as for Greg Moore, I still think he is a solid third line player. We'll see what happens this season regarding Jessiman, IMO he will definitely lapped Moore this year.

CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 06:20 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
I understand that and agree. All that I am saying is that this year Jessiman HAS to show some kind of positive progress.
I'm trying to not be an *** here, but I'm still stuck on how anyone can say he didn't make "some kind of positive progress" last year.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I'm trying to not be an *** here, but I'm still stuck on how anyone can say he didn't make "some kind of positive progress" last year.

I believe he progressed, if I'm not mistaken he dominated the echl and he's beginning to use a physical edge to his game so yeah he is perhaps starting to come along.

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 06:52 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:

I think there are alot of people upset that many players picked in Jessiman's draft year(1st round) are already in the NHL. This is a marathon not a sprint.

Old
07-28-2006, 06:56 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
I think there are alot of people upset that many players picked in Jessiman's draft year(1st round) are already in the NHL. This is a marathon not a sprint.
Exactly. I would've rather picked Getzlaf, but we didn't and we're stuck with who we have. But people are being overly critical of his play. To say he hasn't progressed is just simply not true and not a well thought out opinion, if I may say so.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Pizza

Well, this kind of progress we''ll all know when we see it this fall.....or not.

Personally I predict Hugh will have a much better Rangers camp this year(no place to go but up really), and then have a solid year with the Wolfpack. If we get that from him I'll be pretty stoked.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 07:03 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Well, this kind of progress we''ll all know when we see it this fall.....or not.

Personally I predict Hugh will have a much better Rangers camp this year(no place to go but up really), and then have a solid year with the Wolfpack. If we get that from him I'll be pretty stoked.
I think having Shannahan around will pay HUGE dividends in Jessiman's case.

Old
07-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Exactly. I would've rather picked Getzlaf, but we didn't and we're stuck with who we have. But people are being overly critical of his play. To say he hasn't progressed is just simply not true and not a well thought out opinion, if I may say so.
I just don't get how anybody could compare Jessiman to Greg Moore or Dubinsky?

Players don't improve at the same rate and these players were not projects when they were picked. Not to mention the fact that a year off the ice would effect any player let alone a kid that we all knew needed a lot of work when he was picked.

Hindsight is 20/20 and one good year for Getzlaf does not make a career. If Jessiman hits his potential he would be 10x more valuble than Getzlaf or nearly anyone else taken in the 2003 draft.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 08:53 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I'm still stuck on how anyone can say he didn't make "some kind of positive progress" last year.
We seem to be going around in circles here. From my perch, Hugh did not take a tangible step forward. If you think that he had, that is your choice. I see a player who could not take a regular shift with Hartford and was beaten out by players how will never see the light of day in the NHL. You want to say that he progressed? Fine. I see it differently.

As I said before, if his last name was not Jessiman and he was not the 12th overall pick in what was the deepest draft in about 30 years, then would there even be a discussion about him? Would he even be a blip on anyone's horizon? I doubt it.

Old
07-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Edge

Quote:

From me personally I just still don't see a good head for the game. I think it really hurts him.

And stalling doesn't necessarily means he stands completely still. I think his size and his good set of skills can cary him for a little while, I just honestly don't see a big leap in his reading of the game at all.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 09:50 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I just don't get how anybody could compare Jessiman to Greg Moore or Dubinsky?

Players don't improve at the same rate and these players were not projects when they were picked. Not to mention the fact that a year off the ice would effect any player let alone a kid that we all knew needed a lot of work when he was picked.

Hindsight is 20/20 and one good year for Getzlaf does not make a career. If Jessiman hits his potential he would be 10x more valuble than Getzlaf or nearly anyone else taken in the 2003 draft.
Unfortunatly it's not just one good year or one bad year. THAT is exactly the point. We're talking about 3 years of ho hum development. Not an expectation to be ready or close to the finished product but three consecutive years of "wait till next year". People try over simplify it as one year or an injury and I don't see it.

As for Jessiman's potential, I think that's an exagerration. There are lots of people who simply did not like the kid in the draft and frankly the evidence since than shows that maybe, just maybe, there wasn't as much potential as the Rangers tried to make people believe.

You had mentioned earlier that people who didn't like Jessiman still don't. Well what has there really been to change their minds?

Hate the fact that some have been saying it since the begining or not, what they've said has so far proven to be very right. From his sophmore season to the very average exhibition and half dozen games he played his junior year (which seems to get overlooked as everyone looks at the stat sheet and points to injury while forgetting what actually was happening before the inury) there hasn't been a whole lot that would draw your attention to what Hugh has done EXCEPT the knowledge of where he was taken and by whom.

If the kid weren't a Ranger, would we honestly be thinking that he's going somewhere? Probably not, but I think there is somewhat of a Ranger "tint" that put on the kid.

I watched in the ECHL and he was good, I didn't think he was great by any means and what I personally saw was a player who got by on his awesome size. That's what doesn't show up on the stat sheet and why I've honestly never been a fan.

Now we can get angry when names like Getzlaf are mentioned, but they have every right to be. This isn't even a hindsight like situation, this same thing was said from the minute the Rangers made their top selections in both '02 and '03. This isn't looking back at Joe Sakic vs. Jay More 10 years later and going "Oh man". These complaints have been hear from day one and whether the hopeful want to admit it or not, 3 years later has shown where they came from in the first place.

Doesn't sound nice, doesn't sound pretty and yeah it's beating a dead horse but in this case I think it's justified. On draft day 4 years ago and 3 years ago people knew it wasn't a smart move and here we are in 2006 and our top picks from those two drafts scored a combined .5 ppg at the AHL.

Hope or no hope, that's going to get a reaction.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote