HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Was Marleau a disappointment?

Old
07-27-2006, 01:17 PM
CaptainShark

vCash: 500
Was Marleau a disappointment?

In the "Marleau to Habs Proposal"-Topic a poster stated that Marleau had been a disappointment until last season.

I as a Sharks fan have never been disappointed by Patrick (he would have been the youngest player ever to play 500 games if not for the lockout). He was thrown into the water as a 17-year-old and there were some groing pains in the Darryl-Sutter-era. But Marleau improved steadily (although his numbers didnīt reflect it that well) and he finally came into his own in 03-04 (he had a horrible slump to end the year, but was close to a point-per-game-pace until Marco Sturm got injured)...

Does anyone else consider Marleau a disappointment up until last season?

CaptainShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:20 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
In a way, yes. Before last season, he was probably the most inconsistent player in the NHL. He would be great for a week, and then disappear the next. He improved upon that last year which was nice to see.

Having Joe Thornton helps, because I don't think Marleau is a #1 center who you can rely on. He's ok in that role, but he's much better suited on the 2nd line.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Kingbobert

you kidding????

the only dissapointment is people calling him a dissapointment...
i hate these people who think that a player has to be a point per game in order to be considered acceptable

marleau rocks...and always did

Kingbobert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:21 PM
lyrrad

IMO - he's the second best player on your team... and seeing as how you have thornton (the best player in the league) that's no small accomplishment. I've never heard anyone with a bad thing to say about marleau.

lyrrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Squeaky

When a 2nd overall pick, drafted to be a franchise centerman, doesn't manage to crack 60 points in his first 7 years in the league, I would call that disappointing. He was expected to be at least a point per game player, and up until this past season, he never came close.

That is not even remotely close to the same thing as saying he wasn't an excellent player. My expectations were very high for Marleau, and up until this last season he hadn't lived up to them.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:33 PM
CaptainShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy View Post
In a way, yes. Before last season, he was probably the most inconsistent player in the NHL. He would be great for a week, and then disappear the next. He improved upon that last year which was nice to see.
Isnīt that a typical growing-pain? Thatīs exactly why I never was disappointed, I always saw glimpses of what could be and the only thing lacking was consistency. And he improved on that year after year and it was all a matter of time...

Of course he didnīt produce eyepopping numbers in his first years in the league but he was never sourrounded by elite talent... And you canīt expect such a young player to carry a line all by himself...

CaptainShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

I'd say he was a slight let down until last season. As somebody already said, when you're drafted 2nd overall you're expected to develop into a guy to build a franchise around. Up until last season, you don't build a franchise around a 55 point player. Granted, he was young but he had been in the NHL for 7 seasons prior to the lockout.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:35 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainShark View Post
Isnīt that a typical growing-pain? Thatīs exactly why I never was disappointed, I always saw glimpses of what could be and the only thing lacking was consistency. And he improved on that year after year and it was all a matter of time...

Of course he didnīt produce eyepopping numbers in his first years in the league but he was never sourrounded by elite talent... And you canīt expect such a young player to carry a line all by himself...
An interesting comparison is Vincent Lecavalier, who posted higher numbers at times but was less consistent.

They're both around the same age and are centres as well.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:35 PM
thmarbeef

this guy is not a disappointment yes he has been inconsistent through out his younger but he has been improving in that area year by year. Marleau has been nails in the playoffs the last three years no shark has been better.

thmarbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
He didnt put up the most points but he always played a solid two way game and led the team. He's also very clutch in the playoffs and carried the Sharks on his back.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

For the time it took him to reach elite status, yes it could be said that he was a minor dissapointment. But he has always been a very solid two-way player, and has scored 20 goals in 6 of his 8 seasons. It took him 8 years to break out, but he's still only 27 years old, just entering his prime.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 02:39 PM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post
For the time it took him to reach elite status, yes it could be said that he was a minor dissapointment. But he has always been a very solid two-way player, and has scored 20 goals in 6 of his 8 seasons. It took him 8 years to break out, but he's still only 27 years old, just entering his prime.
I think he's 26... yeah, he turns 27 on Sept 15th haha

TrappedInFullerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 02:59 PM
mooseOAK*

Marleau has the size, speed and shot to be one of the best players in the league but up until recently he was unwilling to play physically and shied away from taking hits to make plays. He is also not a very good passer as a centreman.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:38 PM
OrrNumber4

Also, don't forget Marleau spent all of his early years playing a defense-first game under Darryl Sutter. It helped him develop his defensive game, but his numbers suffered because of it.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:43 PM
canada_mapleleaf

As a coach you have to expect those things from a 17-18 year old. Considering he never played AHL (not that I know of anyway) I think he matured pretty fast.

canada_mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Birko19

I don't think Marleau is a disappointment at all and the past playoffs showed some great signs in him...

If the 97 draft was to be redone again Marleau might not be a 2nd overall pick but top 10 easily and top 5 most likely.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 06:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Also, don't forget Marleau spent all of his early years playing a defense-first game under Darryl Sutter. It helped him develop his defensive game, but his numbers suffered because of it.
This is the comparison I see with Legwand. I think that in a different situation, Legwand could\should easily be a thirty goal scorer...but the system\injuries have kept him from that...and I worry that it will take moving to another team for people to see just how insanely skilled he really is. I laugh when people call Legwand a "bust, because it's obvious they don't know the situation. To his credit...he's an absolute top notch defensive center despite coming in with no such ability. If he stays healthy(his biggest problem) he's clearly got the tools. Thornton coming in as "the guy" really allowed Marleau to relax and step it up. Hopefully Arnott will do the same for Legwand.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
I don't think Marleau is a disappointment at all and the past playoffs showed some great signs in him...

If the 97 draft was to be redone again Marleau might not be a 2nd overall pick but top 10 easily and top 5 most likely.
I don't think the Sharks would have picked anyone different, in hindsight. They have Thornton, and with the Sharks goalie system they didn't really need Luongo. Olli Jokinen, like Marleau, took a while to break out, but unlike Marleau, he had some pretty bad seasons in the late 90's.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 06:49 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
This is the comparison I see with Legwand. I think that in a different situation, Legwand could\should easily be a thirty goal scorer...but the system\injuries have kept him from that...and I worry that it will take moving to another team for people to see just how insanely skilled he really is. I laugh when people call Legwand a "bust, because it's obvious they don't know the situation. To his credit...he's an absolute top notch defensive center despite coming in with no such ability. If he stays healthy(his biggest problem) he's clearly got the tools. Thornton coming in as "the guy" really allowed Marleau to relax and step it up. Hopefully Arnott will do the same for Legwand.
Legwand could be a very lethal offensive threat. But every single year, his confidence in himself is lowered by some odd incident, and I hope it hasn't come to a point where he has lost the drive and confidence to reach his potential.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 07:03 PM
fullclip
Prepare to die

His playoffs make up for his previous point totals. Id love to have him on my team. I dont see any player that steps up when it matters the most to be a disapointment.

fullclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 07:03 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Legwand could be a very lethal offensive threat. But every single year, his confidence in himself is lowered by some odd incident, and I hope it hasn't come to a point where he has lost the drive and confidence to reach his potential.
I don't think it has. When he was healthy, he was absolutely fantastic last year...and even when he came back with a bum knee that he needed surgery for in the off-season...he was still a difference maker.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 07:20 PM
nashnaidoo

The guys had a bunch of nice seasons goal scoring wise and rarely misses games.

I expect that if he'd hit 30 goals in either of his 29 goal years this topic wouldn't have been posted.

nashnaidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Baron Von Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post
For the time it took him to reach elite status, yes it could be said that he was a minor dissapointment.
Exactly. He has been a whipping boy for the Sharks for a long time now, and it wasn't exactly undeserved. I'm not saying he wasn't rushed, etc...I'm not saying he came into the league under the most desireable circumstances, but I even recall telling a friend before this past season started, "If Marleau doesn't break out with at least a PPG this year, I'm going to egg his house." When a grown man decides to egg a professional athlete's house...it better be justified, lol.

Baron Von Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:50 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Its a good thing that sharks organization didnt give up on him...they are reaping the rewards now.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:24 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

Quote:
And played 1/2 of this season with Niko Dimitrakos on his line

I think he will break 100 points sometime in his career, as I think his numbers are going to get consistently better for the next 4-5 years.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote