HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

"Rangers Should Pursue Lecavalier"

Old
07-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
"Rangers Should Pursue Lecavalier"

Quote:
At $7.167 million per year for the next three years, Lecavalier is a pricey commodity, but the Rangers’ cap flexibility makes him a viable option nonetheless.

So what should the Blueshirts offer in return? With Henrik Lundqvist in place as the starting goalie and Kevin Weekes a competent back-up, prospect Alvaro Montoya would certainly be a good place to start. Montoya played extremely well last season for the Rangers’ AHL affiliate (the Hartford Wolf Pack), and he appears ready to take the next step forward. If the Blueshirts were to add Michael Nylander, Michal Rozsival, and a draft pick or two to the deal, it would be a valuable package the Lightning would be hard-pressed to turn down.
http://www.insidehockey.com/greenstein/2006_07_27.php

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Gottokeeponrisin

I would rather not.

Gottokeeponrisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottokeeponrisin View Post
I would rather not.
Same.

Although it is an interesting option.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Larry Melnyk

WHile I still expect the Rangers to make another big deal for a Top 6 forward, I don't think it will be with TB..Still, a package like that (an aging C with one year left, an extra goaile, a D-man the Rangers are in no hurry to sign)for a 26 year old 3-time 30 goal scorer wouldn't bother me all that much..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:45 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
WHile I still expect the Rangers to make another big deal for a Top 6 forward, I don't think it will be with TB..Still, a package like that (an aging C with one year left, an extra goaile, a D-man the Rangers are in no hurry to sign)for a 26 year old 3-time 30 goal scorer wouldn't bother me all that much..
id think theyd want immonen instead of nylander. maybe include pock. id like sarich. he is a solid dman.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:47 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Montoya, Nylander, and Rosival + draft choice for Lecavlier? Where do I sign?

I really like Nylander though, I'd almost want to keep him and add something else IF POSSIBLE like Immonen.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Shannahan-Lecavlier-Prucha

Sweeeet.

Won't happen but it's worth talking about.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 01:51 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Montoya, Nylander, and Rosival + draft choice for Lecavlier? Where do I sign?

I really like Nylander though, I'd almost want to keep him and add something else IF POSSIBLE like Immonen.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Shannahan-Lecavlier-Prucha

Sweeeet.

Won't happen but it's worth talking about.
TB might have an issue with trading for Nylander and then having him play first line center for the Rangers. Very shrewd.

07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Fletch

That package...

is very comical. Lecavalier replacing Nylander? Rozsival, who's not currently signed, not on the team next season? A draft pick and Montoya? Imagine Lecavalier and Jagr? Or Vinnie and Shanny? Or worse, late in the game, down a goal, and you have Shanny-Vinnie-Jagr? I'm not excited about parting with Montoya, but solving the down the middle problem for the next few years with a guy like Vinnie makes it easy. I do have to argue with the Montoya's expendable because Weekes is a competent backup. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What makes sense is Montoya's expendable when you're basically being given Lecavalier.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
I take it the writer didn't pay attention to any of the Lightning free agent signings or draft picks.

07-27-2006, 02:14 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
is very comical. Lecavalier replacing Nylander? Rozsival, who's not currently signed, not on the team next season? A draft pick and Montoya? Imagine Lecavalier and Jagr? Or Vinnie and Shanny? Or worse, late in the game, down a goal, and you have Shanny-Vinnie-Jagr? I'm not excited about parting with Montoya, but solving the down the middle problem for the next few years with a guy like Vinnie makes it easy. I do have to argue with the Montoya's expendable because Weekes is a competent backup. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What makes sense is Montoya's expendable when you're basically being given Lecavalier.
I am not one to trade Montoya, but including him in a trade for Vinny? Sign me up. Rozsival's rights, Montoya & Nylander? Done and done.
And I also agree on the last two Montoya comments. Al is not expendable becuase of the presence of pretty much any other goalie in the organization. As Fletch aptly puts it, he is expendable becuase Vinny is a part of the return.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

sign me up.

Montoya nylander rozy and a 2nd, thats highway robbery for an elite center.

Vinny L, is an elite center, anyone thinking otherwise outta have their head examined.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:06 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
I'll pass, he's always struck me as a kid that whines and complains too much on the ice.

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:10 PM
boltsgirl41922

Send a message via AIM to boltsgirl41922 Send a message via MSN to boltsgirl41922
He's not being moved. The only situation I can possibly see him being traded to you would be for nothing less than Prucha, Lundqvist, and plenty of draft picks

boltsgirl41922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
interesting but a very very big longshot

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Edge

I just don't see the benefit from Tampa's POV.

A soon to be 34 year old center with what, one year left on his contract?

A 28 year old defenseman who is ideally a #3 or 4 guy and who is unsigned and I believe could be a UFA soon.

A low first round pick

And a prize goalie prospect.

Montoya is certainly tempting from a Tampa POV but the other ingridients are fluff.

3 years from now the Rangers still have a center who isn't yet 30 and Tampa potentially only has Montoya.

And keep in mind, Montoya hasn't played at the NHL level yet and had a laundry list of injuries in his first pro season.

If you're going to a trade a guy like that within the conference, I just think you need a bit more in return than older support players and the potential of a young goalie.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

exactly edge, like i said, that would be highway robbery for us.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Would TB really be interested in Montoya? They just got Denis, and just drafted Helenius.

Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:29 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
TB might have an issue with trading for Nylander and then having him play first line center for the Rangers. Very shrewd.
Read his post again, he was suggesting subbing Immonen in instead of trading Nylander

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Would TB really be interested in Montoya? They just got Denis, and just drafted Helenius.
To me that really isn't an issue. Helenius is at least two years from turning pro anyway, and Denis is a player who has always been about potential. Ever since THN ranked him way too high about 10 years ago, he's never quite lived up to that billing.

But keep in mind the two players in question are 29 and 18 respectivly. That's a big gap. And neither one is a sure thing.

Old
07-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Levitate

not that vinny isn't a good player or anything...but people are calling him elite here and I don't think there's any way Lecavalier has shown that he's "elite", yet. He's never even averaged a point per game in the NHL.

that's not to say that he can't or won't, but be realistic. right now he's shown he can be a good #1 center. That in itself is valuable, but an elite player he is not. not yet anyways.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:41 PM
True Blue

Lev, call him what you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
not that vinny isn't a good player or anything...but people are calling him elite here and I don't think there's any way Lecavalier has shown that he's "elite", yet. He's never even averaged a point per game in the NHL.

that's not to say that he can't or won't, but be realistic. right now he's shown he can be a good #1 center. That in itself is valuable, but an elite player he is not. not yet anyways.
But a legit, top-line center he certainly is. And that is something that the Rangers are sorely lacking.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

VERY true. Part of where is value comes from is perceived upside.

At the very least he's about a 30 goal, 70 point first line center. However, if he could put it all together he's potentially a franchise player.

It's a calculated risk, both for a team trading him and trading for him.

Old
07-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Nich

i would pass for some reason....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
I'll pass, he's always struck me as a kid that whines and complains too much on the ice.
Very skilled player although I have to agree with the quote. So i'd pass as well, and Tampa probably would also pass.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:10 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsgirl41922 View Post
He's not being moved. The only situation I can possibly see him being traded to you would be for nothing less than Prucha, Lundqvist, and plenty of draft picks
Yea:

To Rangers:
Vinny Lecavalier

To Tampa:
Henrik Lundqvist
Petr Prucha pick
1st Round pick
2nd Round pick
2nd Round pick
3rd Round pick

We wouldnt even give you just Lundqvist for him. Hes one of the most overrated centers in the league. He is a 1st line center but not an elite one by any means.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote