HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ISS-Rangers get an A- for their June draft

Old
07-27-2006, 05:21 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
ISS-Rangers get an A- for their June draft

For the second straight year,International Scouting Services ranked the Rangers draft in the upper echelon.In 2004,RLR had the Rangers draft rated near the top of their charts.RLR said the Rangers selected 10 players in the first rounds who can become NHL contributors or valuable assets-Al Montoya,Lauri Korpikoski,Darin Olver,Dane Byers,Bruce Graham,Brandon Dubinsky,Zdenek Bahensky,Billy Ryan,Ryan Callahan and Roman Psurny

Quote:
"From top to bottom, this may have been the most solid draft class of any team," noted the Independent Scouting Service Red Line Report. "They had 10 picks in the first five rounds, and for Red Line Report's money, every one of them could wind up helping this organization, either at the NHL level or as quality depth in the system."
http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=1282

Current issue of THN has the ISS top 10 2006 drafts-page 8

1-St.Louis-A-
2-Caps-A-
3-RANGERS-A-Bob Sanguinetti is an offensive defenseman;many solid citizens in later rounds
4-Hawks-B+
5-Avs-B+
6-Sabres-B
7-Islanders-B
8-Wild-B
9-Leafs-B
10-Penguins-B

THN also gave the Rangers an A for their summer additions-Brendan Shanahan,Matt Cullen,Aaron Ward and Adam Hall

Things are a little too positive around here

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 05:33 PM
DutchShamrock

I just hope they stay the course. Don't get too greedy or try to get to the finish line too fast. It's great to see the path that the organization is on. Two and a half years ago we were talking about how the cupboard was bare and now we have one of the better systems. Just keep moving prospects in the areas we are deep on. Diversify the prospect pool. Keep upgrading. Moore for Hall is the right frame of mind. I just hope they can keep their patience in the big market. Too many temptations to buy a cup.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Gottokeeponrisin

And NO trading Montoya.

Gottokeeponrisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 05:53 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottokeeponrisin View Post
And NO trading Montoya.
ever? not even for sidney crosby, alexander ovechkin, or dion phaneuf? i could list 10 other guys i'd trade him for in a heartbeat. nobody is untouchable, not even AM.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 06:08 PM
shoothepuck

This is a good sign, it shows that the organization is finally getting smart, and NY should be competetive in the future.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 06:24 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Funny after the draft nobody(as in HF posters) thought we did well.

edit- sorry i meant other fans (not ranger fans)

Last edited by FLYLine24: 07-27-2006 at 11:43 PM.
FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 06:31 PM
islesantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
thats not true

islesantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
I beg your pardon?

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Levitate

Quote:
the general rule regarding drafts and hfboards is that everyone goes in with their preconceived favorites and if their team doesn't pick those guys, they go "omg this sucks, what a terrible draft, they should have picked so and so!"

then they actually learn some about the guys selected and go "oh hey, this isn't too shabby! I like it!"

etc.

course some people don't do that, but I still think it's a fair statement

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Captain11

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
ever? not even for sidney crosby, alexander ovechkin, or dion phaneuf? i could list 10 other guys i'd trade him for in a heartbeat. nobody is untouchable, not even AM.
come on.

theres no need to ask that question. you know that if we could trade monty for ovechkin we would

his post was to be referred to all the trades we as postrs come up with, that involves monty

or refer to trading monty for another prospect. (IMO)

why argue your point?

and htere are some untouchables, 1 being dubi. (and your not going to get crosby for dubi)

Captain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:41 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:23 PM
True Blue

Quote:
You cannot mean from this board. I do not recall anyone being upset. Most people thought that the Rangers did quite well for themselves and recieved very good value with their first 3 picks and still had good value with the latter ones.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:13 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I beg your pardon?

Im talking other fans, not our own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
You cannot mean from this board. I do not recall anyone being upset. Most people thought that the Rangers did quite well for themselves and recieved very good value with their first 3 picks and still had good value with the latter ones.
Nope, sorry, should have made it more clear.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Okay I was gonna say, didn't seem like one of your usual comments.

There are some people I would expect that from, but it was weird seeing it from you.

It'd be like Fletch actually getting angry in a thread (though he came close this week so who knows )

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:47 PM
boredmale

Quote:
For arguement sake, ISS was one of the few scouting services that gave really positive reviews to Sanguinetti. So if you go on the basis of how they rated players(pre draft), it would be a huge plus on their grading to get a guy they rated highly where the Rangers did.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:47 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Its great to see the rangers actually doing well at the draft table (at least the preliminary scores show this)

I have no problem with the drafting of solid checkers, role players and assorted solid citizens.

What I am wondering about is the drafting of top 6 forwards that actually pan out. I think the approach of taking the best overall player will yield results, at least lets hope so.

the offseason additions are all north americans with decent size and some attitude. It should make the rangers a tougher team to play against... at least lets hope so.

I think the rangers are lacking your prototypical pest skill type player (linseman, acton, dare I say it THEO) maybe immonen can be that kind of player. But the rangers sorely need one.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Plato

vCash: 100000
long way since the lundmark days

Plato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:39 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Definitely not true, Fly, I am one of the biggest Sanguinetti supporters on this forum. That kid is going to be a 10-20 goal, 50-60 point, possibly more defender one day. He's got the raw talent to do it. People are a little concerned about his physical maturity, but it is what it is... he has to mature physically, nothing complicated at all about it.

Anisimov has great upside, but questions with consistency. From what I saw, his physical play is NOT an issue unlike what scouts were saying. He's very defensively aware for a Russian player with his skill level. You usually don't find that in skilled Russian forwards.

Hillier was a solid pickup, and could be a great energy guy one day. Kveton has the makings of a guy like Prucha, same type of player. We had some really good picks in this draft.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 12:11 AM
JayMan82

I don't see any 411 on 2006 Draftees on that website on NYR.com... It's actually dated back in 04'

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 02:12 AM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Yeah obviously im extremely impressed with the Rangers draft the last couple years, more so this year because they had less to work with as opposed the the stockpile of picks they had in 04. But im extremely excited, a couple more of these kind of drafts and we'll have a great talent pool that we can grow or trade, all in all its a great position to be in.

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 06:57 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
For arguement sake, ISS was one of the few scouting services that gave really positive reviews to Sanguinetti. So if you go on the basis of how they rated players(pre draft), it would be a huge plus on their grading to get a guy they rated highly where the Rangers did.
hmm, the only scouting service that I saw that gave him a bad review was redline. and they always pick someone to hate on each year.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Shadowtron

I'm not afraid to admit that I wasn't high on Sanguinetti. I didn't know much about him, but when the first words from folks who did were: "We just drafted Tom Poti"...well, it was a bit discouraging. I've warmed up to him, but am not completely sold. However, his development will change all that. One way or the other.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 08:04 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I'm not afraid to admit that I wasn't high on Sanguinetti. I didn't know much about him, but when the first words from folks who did were: "We just drafted Tom Poti"...well, it was a bit discouraging. I've warmed up to him, but am not completely sold. However, his development will change all that. One way or the other.
He is not the player that I wanted either, BUT you simply could not pass up on him at the point to where he fell to the Rangers. Sure I wanted other, but Sanguinetti represented such great value, that he made it impossible to pass up on him. There was no one who was still out there, who would even make it close.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 08:16 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
He is not the player that I wanted either, BUT you simply could not pass up on him at the point to where he fell to the Rangers. Sure I wanted other, but Sanguinetti represented such great value, that he made it impossible to pass up on him. There was no one who was still out there, who would even make it close.

That's where the disconnect was for me. I knew nothing about the kid. Several immediate reactions were that we just drafted Poti so that's what I assumed. Not the wisest course of action, but such is the way of the misinformed I guess.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Nich

i know someone who's brother has played with him a bunch in NJ. he told me that he is not as good as his rating. he makes a good first outlet pass, but really needs to work on the defensive side.

either way i like the pick. give him 3 years and then we'll see where he is at.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote