HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IF you were Poile, Would YOU do this deal?

View Poll Results: IF you were Poile, Would YOU do this deal?
Yes 13 28.89%
No 32 71.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
IF you were Poile, Would YOU do this deal?

To NJ: David Legwand & Ryan Suter

To NAS: Scott Gomez & Richard Matvichuk

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Yes. It immediately upgrades the #2 center spot, and is a current upgrade at defense. Plus, Legwand has a screwy knee, and has been somewhat injury prone. We have tons of young blueliners that would be able to take the place of Matvichuk in the future. Plus, they would be going to the Eastern conference, where it would be less likely to come back and bite us.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 11:43 AM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
Yes. It immediately upgrades the #2 center spot, and is a current upgrade at defense. Plus, Legwand has a screwy knee, and has been somewhat injury prone. We have tons of young blueliners that would be able to take the place of Matvichuk in the future. Plus, they would be going to the Eastern conference, where it would be less likely to come back and bite us.
Gomez would upgrade the #1 center spot...

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 11:44 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Numbers aside, we make this deal. However, even if it was offered to Poile, I think he'd pass. I just don't think we can afford to take on 4+ million in salary at this stage. It looks like we will nestle in at around $36 or 37 million. Adding Gomez into the mix pushes that number closer to $41 million. I'm not sure Leipold wants it that high right now.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 12:04 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

What Smokey said...

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 12:19 PM
veronesepk

I agree with you two - the money is the issue here.

veronesepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Numbers aside, we make this deal. However, even if it was offered to Poile, I think he'd pass. I just don't think we can afford to take on 4+ million in salary at this stage. It looks like we will nestle in at around $36 or 37 million. Adding Gomez into the mix pushes that number closer to $41 million. I'm not sure Leipold wants it that high right now.
I agree. If this was later in the season around the trade deadline, then sure...we wouldn't be picking up the entire $5 million owed to Gomez this season. Right now, I just think that we are content with where we are and will look to keep that extra cap room (our self imposed cap) to make upgrades later in the season as we identify holes in our roster.

Gomez would definitely be slotted into the top line center role with Arnott sliding to the second line. I'm just really concerned about making this deal right now because of Gomez's UFA status at the end of the season and Matvichuk just doesn't fit into our long-term plans.

I'm very willing to give up one of our defensive prospects to bolster our chances this season, but right now...I just don't think it would be the smartest of moves.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I didn't take money into account, it was based on value without compensation. And either way you look at it, your upgrading #2...either by have Gomez on the first, which I assume we would do, and Arnott on the 2nd....either way.

Old
07-28-2006, 01:39 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

So you'd give up 2 years of Legwand and 5 years of Suter for one year of Gomez?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 01:41 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

For the record I don't know. It's something I'd have to think about. Are we close enough by doing this trade this year because in 2 years we're back were we were with center depth.

Old
07-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Like I said, my assumption was that money wasn't a problem. So theoretically we'd get more than 1 year out of Gomez, and at least 2 from Matvichuk, who would then be replaced easily by Klein, Parent, etc...but it was naive of me to do this without money involved.

Old
07-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
So you'd give up 2 years of Legwand and 5 years of Suter for one year of Gomez?
Nope, sorry...I wouldn't. I like were we are right now and don't want to do this and line up for one shot at a title when right now are window for contending is probably 2 or 3 years. If we could sign Gomez long term as part of the deal (sign and trade), then I would love to do it, but with him already being guaranteed UFA status next summer, I highly doubt he would want to lock himself up long-term without testing the market.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Its close, but the finacial uncertanties of Gomez, to go along with the superstar potential in Suter....I just can't pull the trigger. I would also like to see Legwand in the new NHL, without a torn acl. I expect he will not find his legs until year 2 of the contract, but I'm willing to wait....we have very good center depth right now, so we do not need to make this trade.

07-28-2006, 02:13 PM
muddycreek*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Its close, but the finacial uncertanties of Gomez, to go along with the superstar potential in Suter....I just can't pull the trigger. I would also like to see Legwand in the new NHL, without a torn acl. I expect he will not find his legs until year 2 of the contract, but I'm willing to wait....we have very good center depth right now, so we do not need to make this trade.
Agreed! Play the hand we got. It looks pretty darned good. After all, we can add someone later with the "wiggle room" we have. This deal done, we're done for the year. I dread negotiations with PK at the end of this year. Why add another?

muddycreek* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 03:21 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm going to have to agree and say no.

If money were not an issue, I'd agree to it as long as we could keep Gomez for the long term but that's not realistic

Old
07-28-2006, 03:49 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'm going to have to agree and say no.

If money were not an issue, I'd agree to it as long as we could keep Gomez for the long term but that's not realistic

Maybe, maybe not...

Kariya(4.5) and Timonen(2.7) come off the books this year...and realistically, I don't see us re-signing either, since they'd both want raises. If we could keep Gomez for another three or so years...I'd say go for it.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 05:10 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Maybe, maybe not...

Kariya(4.5) and Timonen(2.7) come off the books this year...and realistically, I don't see us re-signing either, since they'd both want raises. If we could keep Gomez for another three or so years...I'd say go for it.

I think we let Timonen go....but if Kariya plays this year comparable to last year [1 point per game or so] I am not so sure we don't sign Kariya again for a mild raise of 500K to 1.0 mill for a couple yrs.
The big signage next year is, no doubt, Vokoun and there is no way we let him walk under any circumstance, IMO. From what I understand, Vokoun doesn't have a big itch to go elsewhere, so as long as he is fairly compensated....I think he prefers to sign here. I think the way he was treated during his blood clot illness only reinforces his desire to stay.

For the record, with all things considered....I don't do this deal.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 07:24 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I love Suter. He is one of my favorite prospects in the league, but you guys are nuts if you wouldn't take this deal. Gomez-Arnott would be one of the best one-two punches in the entire league. Gomez could elevate any of your talented wingers to new levels. Has Kariya ever had an elite playmaking center? Imagine what he'd be capable of with Gomez. I'd love to see what Radulov could do next to him, too. Plus, haven't you guys been asking for a big, veteren, physical defenseman all off season? Well, Matvichuk had an off year, but he could certainly rebound. I'm sure Gomez would be open to talking extension come January. With him, Nashville would be a young contender. Why would he want to leave that? I figured this poll would be 85% YES. Color me suprised.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 07:28 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

RT, I'm mildly surprised, too...but I think a lot of us are approaching this from Poilean standpoint. It's kind of the old, "Grow up with a cheap dad, become a cheap dad" deal. We tend to say, "well, it'd be nice, but we really can't afford it..." about a lot of things.

If not for the money...and if we felt we had a great chance of re-signing Gomez...I think the poll would be different. But those are factors to consider.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I would make the trade IF I knew we could resign Gomez to at least a 3 year extension. If we could not resign him, I could not bring myself to part with Suter, a guy I think may have the most potential/highest pedigree of anyone we have drafted.

I can't say the value isn't there in this deal because it is, but it is hard to part with a guy that most of us were watching be drafted!

Last edited by Enoch: 07-28-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote