HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nigel Dawes

Old
07-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Hyped

vCash: 500
Nigel Dawes

Hey Ranger fans,

I've followed Dawes' career since his rookie season with the Kootenay Ice and have become intrigued by his work ethic and ability to score goals. He followed his junior career up with a tremendous rookie year in the AHL. Do any of you guys see him cracking the Rangers line-up this coming season? If so, what role do you see him in right away? Will he be a top six guy this early? Who do you think he would be playing with? What do you think his offensive potential is at his peak in the NHL? Thanks in advance...

Hyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Fletch

Out of camp...

it's going to be tought. Left wing seems to be a popular position. He could suprise. I don't think anybody is betting against Dawes. He's now 21 and starting in Hartford won't kill him. I don't know if Dawes is going to let them keep him down in Hartford too much longer though.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 12:34 PM
broadwayblue

it's gonna be tough...but i'd say most of us around here are pulling for this kid to make it. he's done nothing but succeed at every level thus far. not sure if he'd get the job as 2nd line winger straight away though...but i'd be happy to see him get regular time on the 3rd line. should be an interesting camp!

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Entrancemperium

We should sticky this thread

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 12:47 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrancemperium View Post
We should sticky this thread
We need to give this kid a chance...Let him play the first 40 games and at least 15-20 minutes a game

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Entrancemperium

We'll see apparently third line left wing is left open for hartford players to win come training camp.

Old
07-29-2006, 12:57 PM
True Blue

Though most of us will root him on

Dawes stands virtually with no chance of making the team out of camp. There are too many people in the way. His best shot is as a 3rd line RW, but he would need to leapfrom A LOT of people for a spot on the bottom 2 lines. He probably starts the year in Hartford and becomes an injury call-up. But even that is sketchy becuase, barring a trade, the Rangers will have 2 forwards from last year (Orr & Hossa) not dressing for every game. So it may be that there will need to be several injuries for him to get the call.

If he duplicates his prior year performance, he will force the Rangers brass hand, at least for next year. At that point, room will have to be made or he will be one of the pieces that will be traded for whatever it is that the powers that be deem to be lacking.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 12:59 PM
True Blue

Quote:
We'll see apparently third line left wing is left open for hartford players to win come training camp.
Debateable. If we can say that Prucha will play on the 2nd line, then there is a chance that both Ward & Hall will be the wings on the 3rd line, with Hollweg & Ortmeyer manning the wings on the 4th line. Then there is still Hossa, who is not quite out of the picture yet. Barring a trade or an injury, I do not think that Dawes has much of a chance, no matter how well he performs.

Old
07-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Debateable. If we can say that Prucha will play on the 2nd line, then there is a chance that both Ward & Hall will be the wings on the 3rd line, with Hollweg & Ortmeyer manning the wings on the 4th line. Then there is still Hossa, who is not quite out of the picture yet. Barring a trade or an injury, I do not think that Dawes has much of a chance, no matter how well he performs.
I'm just repeating what I read in an article about Jessiman where he mentioned that Renney had informed him that there would be a spot open on the third line for a rookie. The interview is in the thread "Article about Jessiman"

Old
07-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Entrancemperium

I hope Slats/Maloney are willing to trade veterans to give rookies a chance, cause right now it's tough to get a new player into the line up.

Old
07-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Fletch

Who's to trade?

Straka was signed, as was Shanny, both wingers, and there's Jagr. That's three wing positions. Then there's Prucha, who's only 23, and even Ward's only 26 and is in a different role. Not many vets I see who will be traded.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 01:27 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

It depends on what happens between now and Camp. There are too many bodies infront of him unless he simply just BLOWS EVERYONE away.

Still most feel the Rangers might have one more move in them this summer which might clear some bodies....

If you polled the fans , most would like to see him on the Rangers opening night

07-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Hyped

The Rangers seem to be pretty deep up front. Wouldnt' it make sense to deal a forward to upgrade their blueline and then let their young guys carry the workload? I know it's not that easy to accomplish but is this something you, as fans, would like to see happen? I know it may not be prudent to depend on the young kids to carry the secondary scoring this soon but with Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, and Nylander leading the way I think they should at least look at that possibilty...

Hyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 02:43 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I hope Slats/Maloney are willing to trade veterans to give rookies a chance, cause right now it's tough to get a new player into the line up.
Do you recall the last time such a thing occured?
Quote:
I'm just repeating what I read in an article about Jessiman where he mentioned that Renney had informed him that there would be a spot open on the third line for a rookie.
I know. I am just commenting on Renney's statement.

Old
07-29-2006, 03:07 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
The Rangers seem to be pretty deep up front. Wouldnt' it make sense to deal a forward to upgrade their blueline and then let their young guys carry the workload? I know it's not that easy to accomplish but is this something you, as fans, would like to see happen? I know it may not be prudent to depend on the young kids to carry the secondary scoring this soon but with Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, and Nylander leading the way I think they should at least look at that possibilty...
Maloney has said a few times that the front office sees most of they're top prospects as a year away, and i think this is what has caused them to ink a few veteran place holders. Because of this a guy like Dawes is going to really have to earn his sopt, and I really don't think that's such an aweful thing. The best case senario is that he wows us and bulls his way onto the roster. If that doesn't happen then he'll see most of next year in the AHL (which, while i don't think he desperately needs it, wouldn't be horrible) and he definetly finds a spot on the team in 07/08.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 03:09 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I think if Dawes has a good camp he makes the team. The Rangers have 5 roster spots that can go either way going into camp. For all we know Dawes is our third or fourth line left wing by January. With Rucinsky still not signed and the Rangers in a holding pattern Dawes will get his shot. The good news is he doesn't have to be rushed and if he still needs more time he can get it. He has no presure to make the team going into camp but he seems like somebody that can steal a spot with hard work and good hands.

Injuries could come into play more this year than last year.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 03:20 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
2 problems, our lineup is pretty jammed packed already.

straka-nylander-jagr
shanahan-cullen-hall
prucha-immonen-ward
hollweg-betts-ortmeyer

when renney said an open spot on the 3rd line, he probably meant at center. To open a spot on the LW, we'd have to trade hall and hossa, flip prucha to 2nd line RW or Shanahan to RW. You don't want to trade hollweg because 4th line ice time for dawes would be bad for him.

Problem 2. If it's a dman like you say, then we probably have to get rid of Rosival to open a spot up. Unless you are looking to let a rookie like Staal or Baranka or Pock make the team. Then we're fishing for prospects and picks in return but that's assuming we don't get any roster players back and what team out there has 3 holes to fill at this point in the offseason? So the problem arises, what team/GM would want to take Hall, Hossa, and optionally Rosival. (forget about Ozo. That guy is just too big of a risk for anyone to take right now though.) A package of Rosival, Hall, Hossa sounds decent but I don't know if there is a team or GM who would want to take that entire package. It's just too many IFs to realistically work.

OT, but it'd be funny if Greg Moore made the team as 4th line center. HMOv2?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Entrancemperium

I am just wondering about the whole "year away" statement, does it mean we'll have say 6 rookies in the line-up 2007-2008?

Old
07-29-2006, 03:26 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
The Rangers have 5 roster spots that can go either way going into camp.
I simply don't see it. could you please explain?

is it that straka, nylander, jagr, shanahan, cullen, prucha, ward are locks and hall, immonen(3rd line center position), hollweg, betts, ortmeyer are not? Hall has proven himself as a NHL player so i think he's on the roster. HBO is pretty perfect for 4th line. Although I like how Greg Moore is coming along but you don't want him playing 4th line time. Not in his first pro-year. Now i'm just thinking aloud. submit reply... <click>

Old
07-29-2006, 03:30 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Maloney has said a few times that the front office sees most of they're top prospects as a year away, and i think this is what has caused them to ink a few veteran place holders. Because of this a guy like Dawes is going to really have to earn his sopt, and I really don't think that's such an aweful thing. The best case senario is that he wows us and bulls his way onto the roster.
Again, how is he going to bull his way onto the roster? He's a LW. Hall was not acquired just to be traded. For Dawes to make his way onto the bottom-2 lines, that means that one of Ward, Hall, Hollweg, or Ortmeyer is not on the team. Personally, I think that Dawes making the team out of camp (barring an injury) is a pipe dream at this point.

Even to be more specific, since Dawes is a LW, he'd have to overtake one of Ward or Hall (whichever will be moved from their natural RW position to play LW on the 3rd line) or Hollweg (who is the 4th line LW). The 4th line is no place for Dawes to develop and I really do not see Hall or Ward being moved (at least not this year).

Old
07-29-2006, 03:35 PM
xander

Quote:
I am just wondering about the whole "year away" statement, does it mean we'll have say 6 rookies in the line-up 2007-2008?
I'll go out on a very small limb and say that Dawes, Dubinsky, Staal, Baranka, Helminen, Moore, and Immonen will all be in the lineup in 07-08. Now I think it's safe to assume that Immonen will not be a rookie then. I think Helminen and Moore will probably find spots with the big team this year as well, and Dawes has an outside shot. So we're prbably talking 3-5 rookies, probably 4.

Old
07-29-2006, 03:38 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Again, how is he going to bull his way onto the roster? He's a LW. Hall was not acquired just to be traded. For Dawes to make his way onto the bottom-2 lines, that means that one of Ward, Hall, Hollweg, or Ortmeyer is not on the team. Personally, I think that Dawes making the team out of camp (barring an injury) is a pipe dream at this point.

Even to be more specific, since Dawes is a LW, he'd have to overtake one of Ward or Hall (whichever will be moved from their natural RW position to play LW on the 3rd line) or Hollweg (who is the 4th line LW). The 4th line is no place for Dawes to develop and I really do not see Hall or Ward being moved (at least not this year).
well, he would bull his way onto the team by bulling his way onto the team. Bulling your way on to the team means that you simply don't allow yourself to be left off, it implys that he's going against the plans that the rangers have for him. If Dawes comes in and just blows the doors off of everyone then i expect he'll make the team, it would be a travesty if he didn't.

However, i don't see that happening and my guess is that he will play most of this year in the AHL, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Old
07-29-2006, 03:56 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I'll go out on a very small limb and say that Dawes, Dubinsky, Staal, Baranka, Helminen, Moore, and Immonen will all be in the lineup in 07-08. Now I think it's safe to assume that Immonen will not be a rookie then. I think Helminen and Moore will probably find spots with the big team this year as well, and Dawes has an outside shot. So we're prbably talking 3-5 rookies, probably 4.

Oh really? So you're gonna cut Betts and Ortmeyer? Because Helmenin and Moore aren't fitting in anywhere else. I hope you didn't mean they'd find spots on the pine. I can see mid-way through the season if Betts and Ortmeyer are stinking it up they get sat and the other two get called up. Only if they are undoubtably ready for the NHL would they stick however. While I think Helmenin and Moore have better upsides to Betts and Ortmeyer, such a change would be unlikely this season. Unless Sather materializes some wonder trade suddenly.

Old
07-29-2006, 04:06 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Oh really? So you're gonna cut Betts and Ortmeyer? Because Helmenin and Moore aren't fitting in anywhere else. I hope you didn't mean they'd find spots on the pine. I can see mid-way through the season if Betts and Ortmeyer are stinking it up they get sat and the other two get called up. Only if they are undoubtably ready for the NHL would they stick however. While I think Helmenin and Moore have better upsides to Betts and Ortmeyer, such a change would be unlikely this season. Unless Sather materializes some wonder trade suddenly.
I expect Betts and Ortmeyer to be pushed by Moore and Helminen, though I admit that I mispoke and that I should have said that Helminen and Moore would have very nice shots at making the team.

but yes, I do expect that we will see betts and ortmeyer pushed hard this year in camp. I find Ortmeyer's game to be rather overrated on this board because he is so well liked. He's got a lot of heart and he's a nice checker and PK'er, but I don't think he's irreplaceable. I think Moore will do alot of the things that Ortmeyer does at the NHL level but he has better hands.

Helminen is faster than Betts (and Betts is by no means slow), very good defensively and he can hold his own on faceoffs. He has less size, but he as also has much better hands.

I think both Ortmeyer and Betts are going to have problems finding spots on this team as time goes on because there are guys in the system who can do they're jobs and provide more offense. This doesn't meen that I expect both to be traded at the end of camp, but I do expect them to be pushed hard, and I would not be suprised if Helminen and Moore have atleast one of those spots by the end of the year, if not both.

Old
07-29-2006, 05:43 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
at least 15-20 minutes a game
Never gonna happen. And it shouldn't... and I think a lot of you guys are making hasty preclusions assuming Ortmeyer and Hollweg will definitely make the team out of camp... Dawes has just as good a shot.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote