HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Top 5 Hitters

Old
07-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Bank Shot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post
The hit after the whistle on Steve Bernier in Game 5 along with the shoulder to the head of Michalek in Game 2 was good enough for me. I don't care what he does against other teams.

What about my statement prompted you to bring in something totally random, like "It was pretty funny the way the Sharks collectively hiked up their skirts and went home after that hit"?

I said Torres is not a top 5 hitter, but that he's a physical player who I've seen throw several borderline hits (Bernier and Michalek). If you can't face the fact that a player on your team makes borderline hits, what can I say? I'd love Torres on my team, he's Darcy Tucker Jr, not that it's a bad thing.
You've just admitted you basically know nothing about Torres besides one incident and you're making judgements on what he does over the course of a season.

If Torres had a track record of throwing borderline hits then you'd hear other team's fans complaining about it, and not just the Sharks.

Put together a portfolio of all the "borderline" hits by Torres and prove he's a dirty player, and then maybe we'll have something to talk about besides the, "OMG! Torres is dirty!" we have to hear from Sharks fans every time his name is brought up.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Phanuthier*

I'm a Flames fan, and even I don't think Torres is dirty.

And yes, he ran over Iginla like a train. (I was hoping that would wake Iginla up, too bad it didn't.)

rohan's just being whiny again

Phanuthier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Well he made 2 borderline hits in that series, including one that gave Milan Michalek a concussion, so I don't think Sharks fans are too endeared towards him. Is he your baby? Do you not like hearing the fact that he made several borderline hits against San Jose in that series?

If you bothered to read, you would have seen that I never once called him dirty, or even mentioned the word "cheapshot." Borderline hits...

Do you have a problem with me saying that he's not a top 5 hitter? Or that he makes borderline hits? He did make several borderline hits in that series.

Raffi Torres is a top 5 hitter, Steve Staois is a top 5 offensive defenseman in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
I'm a Flames fan, and even I don't think Torres is dirty.

And yes, he ran over Iginla like a train. (I was hoping that would wake Iginla up, too bad it didn't.)

rohan's just being whiny again
Do you mind pointing me towards where I said Torres was dirty? I said he made several borderline hits, is that not right? I also said he's not a top 5 hitter in the league, do you believe Torres is a top 5 hitter?

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Grizzly Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
You've just admitted you basically know nothing about Torres besides one incident and you're making judgements on what he does over the course of a season.

If Torres had a track record of throwing borderline hits then you'd hear other team's fans complaining about it, and not just the Sharks.

Put together a portfolio of all the "borderline" hits by Torres and prove he's a dirty player, and then maybe we'll have something to talk about besides the, "OMG! Torres is dirty!" we have to hear from Sharks fans every time his name is brought up.
McLaren has only ever cheapshoted Zednik and how is he labled? It's just how this sort of thing goes, dirty hits have long legs and the title of cheapshot can follow a player around for years. Many people will remember Gary Suter as a cheapshot for one dirty hit, it's just how it is.

Grizzly Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 11:30 PM
Phanuthier*

Didn't Suter take out Kariya and Gretzky?

Old
07-29-2006, 11:30 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

I don't have a problem with Torres, but if you can't admit that he made several borderline hits in the EDM-SJ series, I'm guessing you didn't watch. He's a good player, 30+ goal potential, physical, but he's not a top 5 hitter.

Suter was a dirty player. McLaren is in a different boat. One forearm to Zednik and he's the scum of the earth to MTL fans. Playoff memories stick for a long time, just ask Islander fans about Dale Hunter...

Old
07-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Bring Back Smyth

Quote:
I don't have a problem with Torres, but if you can't admit that he made several borderline hits in the EDM-SJ series, I'm guessing you didn't watch. He's a good player, 30+ goal potential, physical, but he's not a top 5 hitter.

Suter was a dirty player. McLaren is in a different boat. One forearm to Zednik and he's the scum of the earth to MTL fans. Playoff memories stick for a long time, just ask Islander fans about Dale Hunter...
If the Torres hit was borderline, then almost every single famous Scott Stevens hit is borderline and the hit Michalek had on Smyth the game before was borderline.

Bring Back Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Flash Walken

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelobster View Post
McLaren has only ever cheapshoted Zednik and how is he labled? It's just how this sort of thing goes, dirty hits have long legs and the title of cheapshot can follow a player around for years. Many people will remember Gary Suter as a cheapshot for one dirty hit, it's just how it is.
whoops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaLU3y8RahA
about 15 seconds into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOFnVa3TXBo

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
I live in Edmonton, I caught the games.

It's part of the game, get over it. I remember you whining about the big bad Flames picking on your team in 2004 too. Now a campaign against the big bad Oilers?

You are incredibly lucky you arn't a fan of the Flames or Oilers, because you get those "boarderline Torres hits" in many Flames-Oilers games. Hell, even the junior Flames and junior Oilers got it on with Phaneuf KO'ing Pouliet before they were even drafted.

Old
07-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Grizzly Adams

Quote:

I thought Suter was much cleaner than Stevens back when they both played and Stevens was considered clean!

Old
07-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
I'm just being a homer here, but I think Torres really stepped his game up this year. Knocked Michalek out, knocked Doug Weight out, damaged Aaron Ward...
Torres getting Phaneuf'd

[IMAGE]http://www3.telus.net/kblovett/phaneuf_small.gif[/IMAGE]

Last edited by Johnnybegood13: 07-29-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Johnnybegood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Grizzly Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
are you trying to tell me those hits were dirty?

Old
07-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
I live in Edmonton, I caught the games.

It's part of the game, get over it. I remember you whining about the big bad Flames picking on your team in 2004 too. Now a campaign against the big bad Oilers?

You are incredibly lucky you arn't a fan of the Flames or Oilers, because you get those "boarderline Torres hits" in many Flames-Oilers games. Hell, even the junior Flames and junior Oilers got it on with Phaneuf KO'ing Pouliet before they were even drafted.
If you have read the posts in my post history, which I doubt you have, I've always given credit to Edmonton and Calgary for mandhandling the Sharks. I whined about the Flames? One of the main reasons I wanted Doug Wilson to bring in toughness/grit was because the last two playoff seasons have been cut short for the Sharks by tougher teams.

Old
07-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Flash Walken

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelobster View Post
are you trying to tell me those hits were dirty?
no, i misread your post, sorry.

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Grizzly Adams

It's all good.

Now can we please start talking about the top five hitters instead of bickering about last years playoffs?

Old
07-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

This thread has gone awry since spacelobster brought in the "cheapshots." I make a comment about how Raffi Torres isn't a top 5 hitter, he's a physical player that makes several borderline hits (maybe per year was not the right phrase), and I get jumped on. Give me a break.

Old
07-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Well he made 2 borderline hits in that series, including one that gave Milan Michalek a concussion, so I don't think Sharks fans are too endeared towards him. Is he your baby? Do you not like hearing the fact that he made several borderline hits against San Jose in that series?

If you bothered to read, you would have seen that I never once called him dirty, or even mentioned the word "cheapshot." Borderline hits..
Bernier deserved to get shoved to the ice after he crosschecked Pronger in the back after the whistle. That's what happens in scrums.

I'm just tired of hearing the whining. Rick Nash gave Peca a concussion earlier in the season on a near identical hit, but you don't see Oilers fans showing up every time Nash is mentioned to chime in on how he doesn't hit clean.

Vishnevski got a 5 minute major for boarding Stoll from behind when Stoll was on his knees. Doesn't mean anything. It was an isolated incident.

You did mention:

Several implies more then two. Season implies other then the San Jose series. Another San Jose fan showed up right before you to chime in on how Torres is a dirty hitter.

Tell me about the "several" borderline hits over the course of the "season".

Last edited by Bank Shot: 07-29-2006 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Okay I'm done then.
Old
07-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Per season was not the right wording, I apologize for that. It pretty much went south from the time that you brought in the "Hiked up their skirts" comment.

Top 5 hitting defensemen:

Vitali Vishnevski
Denis Gauthier (I might get jumped on for using the word "borderline", but he also makes his fair share of HUGE clean hits.)
Robyn Regehyr
Chris Pronger (when he wants to)

I might round out the top 5 with Phaneuf, Doug Murray (look at his hit stats), or Anton Volchenkov.

Old
07-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Per season was not the right wording, I apologize for that. It pretty much went south from the time that you brought in the "Hiked up their skirts" comment.

Top 5 hitting defensemen:

Vitali Vishnevski
Denis Gauthier (I might get jumped on for using the word "borderline", but he also makes his fair share of HUGE clean hits.)
Robyn Regehyr
Chris Pronger (when he wants to)

I might round out the top 5 with Phaneuf, Doug Murray (look at his hit stats), or Anton Volchenkov.

Okay. Sorry about the skirt talk. I flipped out.

Old
07-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Bank Shot

For forwards Steve Begin is a guy that throws alot of hits.
Also Brendan Morrow.
and Jarko Ruutu.

Old
07-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 290
Can you say Tuomo Ruutu?
http://www.tuomoruutu.com/img/galleria/hit7vallin.mpg
http://www.tuomoruutu.com/img/galler...jc02tootoo.mpg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=L7FpIRQQE...=tuomo%20ruutu
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ekxABAzOz...=tuomo%20ruutu

Last edited by Evil Speaker: 07-30-2006 at 12:19 AM.
Evil Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 12:08 AM
nifty988

Patrice Bergeron, anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g0o0...earch=bergeron

nifty988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 12:31 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattray View Post
over who?.....gauthier's a cheapshot clownshoe.
he has had a few cheap shots but i was referring to the GOODNIGHT STRAKA HIT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hHb6...earch=Gauthier

BOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 01:22 AM
Poochie_D

I'm surprised Steve Begin's name has yet to come up.

Poochie_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 01:52 AM
jussiaddict

I remember Vishnevski absoultely nailing Hemsky a couple times. Turned him inside out once.

jussiaddict is offline   Reply With Quote