HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Where wouldn't you want to play?

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2006, 10:44 PM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Where wouldn't you want to play?

Off-season hockey threads... ...
There was just one, "Where would you want to play?" So I suppose we could do the opposite. Of course, any real hockey guy would probably play anywhere if given the chance, but let's imagine you've earned the opportunity to have some choice as to where you would want or not want to go. Where wouldn't you want to play?

However, let's try to keep it civil! If you're listing cities where you wouldn't want to play, give a reason if you want, like it's too hot or too cold, or too large or to small, or not near the ocean, or it's your most hated team, things like that, ... but don't insult the people who live there!

And it goes both ways, if someone isn't directly insulting your city or area, only expressing preference, then try not to take offence.

For instance: I wouldn't want to live/play in
Los Angeles/Anaheim because it's too large for this originally small-town boy, and it's too far south.
Also, not in Phoenix because again it's too far south and too hot.
Also, not anywhere in Florida because again it's too far south.
The New York City area is also extremely large, but because I hate the Rangers I'll only say that I wouldn't want to play for them.
Speaking of hate, the Canadiens are my most hated team, so I definitely wouldn't want to play for them.
And lastly, I wouldn't want to play for both Edmonton and Minnesota because there it would simply be too cold.

Hey, I know this is the ultimate of trivial, and if you think it's stupid then just ignore it.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 07-30-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old
07-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Edmonton
Calgary
Ottawa
Dallas
Atlanta
Columbus
Minnesota

Old
07-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
New Jersey
New York (both)
Philadelphia
Boston
Buffalo
Atlanta
Carolina
Florida
Tampa Bay
Washington
Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Nashvile
St. Louis
Anaheim
Dallas
Los Angeles
Phoenix

Essentially any city east and/or south. Pittsburgh is the only city in the east south of the border I'd want to play in just because it's my hometown. Otherwise I'd much prefer to be in a place like Colorado or Vancouver. It's all about geography.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
07-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Hawker14

Anaheim
Atlanta
Carolina
Dallas
Florida
Los Angeles
Nashville
Phoenix
San Jose
Tampa Bay
Vancouver
Washington

given a choice i wouldn't want to play in these cities mainly because i like winter.

plus, imo, the people that run the nhl only care about profits and not the culture of the game. thus a few of these cities can't match the passion that other places i'd prefer to play in have, like toronto or montreal for instance.

Old
07-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Ogopogo*

I wouldn't want to play in Toronto or Vancouver. Don't like either of those teams or cities.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 07-29-2006 at 11:24 PM.
Old
07-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Atlanta
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Ottawa
Nashville
Chicago
Carolina
Long Island

Long Island and Chicago based on the organizations, the others because the city/surrounding community doesn't fit my liking.

Old
07-29-2006, 11:18 PM
nmbr_24

I am pretty sure, if I was good enough, I would be happy to make any team, but the places that would not be on my short list are
Atlanta
Nashville
Edmonton
Calgary

Old
07-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Bring Back Krajicek*

Edmonton

Old
07-29-2006, 11:27 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Beijing
Mexico City
Baghdad
Seoul

Old
07-29-2006, 11:30 PM
vbet*

Anywhere that has no snow, earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis, mudslides, tornadoes, or forest fires

Old
07-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Grizzly Adams

Chicago, Because you know the team is going nowhere as long as Wirtz is running the show.

Old
07-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Phanuthier*

I said this in the "which city would you wanna play?"

If I made my career decisions on where I'd want to live, I'd work in a Wal-Mart or McDicks. As a pro-athlete, you'll always be moving, you can't choose where you go and you can't choose where you don't wanna go. Plus, your not gonna be avoiding cold or snow anyways with the travel.

So, to the question... I wouldn't wanna go to the NYI, St Louis or Chicago because they (sorry) suck right now. I'd want to go to teams that have a chance to win.

Old
07-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Johnnybegood13

28 citys fairly even
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
Buffalo
Edmonton

Last edited by LaVal: 07-30-2006 at 06:29 PM. Reason: No need for the city insults.
Old
07-30-2006, 12:16 AM
KL*

we got lots of golf in Carolina.... Remember that

Old
07-30-2006, 12:51 AM
felixd

There is no way I would play in Washington, Detroit, Pittsburgh or Buffalo. No way.

If I was a free agent, cities/teams I would not consider would be Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, NYR(I hate the Rangers), NYI(terribly run organization), Minnesota, Chicago, Columbus, New Jersey, Nashville

On my top 5 would probably be:

1. Dallas
2. Phoenix
3. Tampa/Florida
4. St. Louis
5. Carolina

I like warm weather I'd also rather live/work in the US than in Canada, but that's just me. I would be most willing to bear the cold and/or Canada for my two favorite teams: Montreal and Philly

Old
07-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Spawn

Not in Detroit or Calgary personally

Old
07-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Calgary, because most Flames fans are mutants.

Old
07-30-2006, 01:22 AM
ilovecanada89

Send a message via MSN to ilovecanada89
I would not play anywhere outside Canada. Some of you guys call yourselves Canadians? What kind of true Canadian gives a care about inner-Canada rivalries, as long as the Cup is finally brought back to it's rightful resting place: The true, north, strong, and free?

You need to rethink your priorities. The hearts of 30 million Canadians? Or the personal achievement of someone like Brind'Amour who can go anywhere but selfishly chooses the money that the Hurricanes can offer?

Get a grip on yourselves, fellow Canadians.

P.S. Sens fans are actually the best at not focusing on these rivalries and they ought to be commended. The east does an overall better job of rooting for the common good of Canada. And i'm from the western part, so i'm definetely not biased. I think Canucks fans need to get a hold on themselves and realize how idiotic they are when they refuse to cheer for either the Flames or the Oilers. 'Nucks fans, and the western Canadian teams in gerneral, have been doing the worst.

Old
07-30-2006, 01:26 AM
Teemu

I'd kill to play on any NHL team. Even Detroit.

Old
07-30-2006, 01:27 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecanada89 View Post
I would not play anywhere outside Canada. Some of you guys call yourselves Canadians? What kind of true Canadian gives a care about inner-Canada rivalries, as long as the Cup is finally brought back to it's rightful resting place: The true, north, strong, and free?

You need to rethink your priorities. The hearts of 30 million Canadians? Or the personal achievement of someone like Brind'Amour who can go anywhere but selfishly chooses the money that the Hurricanes can offer?

P.S. Sens fans are actually the best at not focusing on these rivalries and they ought to be commended. The east does an overall better job of rooting for the common good of Canada. And i'm from the western part, so i'm definetely not biased. I think Canucks fans need to get a hold on themselves and realize how idiotic they are when they refuse to cheer for either the Flames or the Oilers. 'Nucks fans, and the western Canadian teams in gerneral, have been doing the worst.
Sorry man but this post is

I thought it was sarcasm at first, but now I'm pretty sure it's serious lol

Old
07-30-2006, 01:28 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
I'd kill to play on any NHL team. Even Detroit.
Yes so would I, I think the point of the excercise is if you were good enough to pick where you could play, where would you play?

Old
07-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecanada89 View Post

Face it: While Canada trounces the US as far as passion for the game of hockey goes, the US is more appealing for most people to live in.

Old
07-30-2006, 01:32 AM
Talent Analyst

Toronto and Boston ... NEVER !!

Old
07-30-2006, 01:33 AM
BMOK33

Nashville and Atlanta right off the bat, being from New York I don't think I could ever tolerate the accent or lifestyle down there. I cannot truly think of any other place I would dislike aside from probably LA or Anaheim.

Old
07-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Poochie_D

I would play for any team but the teams I would least like to play for would be:

Toronto
Boston
Chicago
New York Islanders

Reason: The teams I believe to have the worst management.

Closed Thread