HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Where wouldn't you want to play?

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2006, 01:39 AM
nmbr_24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecanada89 View Post
I would not play anywhere outside Canada. Some of you guys call yourselves Canadians? What kind of true Canadian gives a care about inner-Canada rivalries, as long as the Cup is finally brought back to it's rightful resting place: The true, north, strong, and free?

You need to rethink your priorities. The hearts of 30 million Canadians? Or the personal achievement of someone like Brind'Amour who can go anywhere but selfishly chooses the money that the Hurricanes can offer?

Get a grip on yourselves, fellow Canadians.

P.S. Sens fans are actually the best at not focusing on these rivalries and they ought to be commended. The east does an overall better job of rooting for the common good of Canada. And i'm from the western part, so i'm definetely not biased. I think Canucks fans need to get a hold on themselves and realize how idiotic they are when they refuse to cheer for either the Flames or the Oilers. 'Nucks fans, and the western Canadian teams in gerneral, have been doing the worst.
I am not trying start an argument, I read your post, and I really wonder why the heck you live in Utah? If you are so much into Canadian Patriotism, I would think you would live there.
Isn't a Canadian who plays for a team in the US doing exactly what you are doing?(I am assuming you have a job).
Like I said, I am not trying to start a fight or anything, I just really don't understand your statement, it seems on face value, to be hypocritical.

Old
07-30-2006, 01:39 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Toronto and Boston ... NEVER !!
see Boston was a tough choice for me...great city, terrible weather and I hate the team. I would consider them though if other choices were like Chicago and NYI.

Old
07-30-2006, 11:13 AM
shelley1142
Fire Howson!

I probably wouldn't like Anaheim, LA, NY (both), Dallas, Phoenix, San Jose, Florida, TB. This isn't about the teams because I like these teams it's just personal preference. I like having all four seasons and I'm from more of a small town so that would suit me better.

Old
07-30-2006, 12:40 PM
bigjags*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker14 View Post
it overtook kingston ?
Have you not been to Kingston? I know you're joking, here, but Kingston is stunning. Great UNI too.

Old
07-30-2006, 12:42 PM
bigjags*

Quote:
I would not play anywhere outside Canada. Some of you guys call yourselves Canadians? What kind of true Canadian gives a care about inner-Canada rivalries, as long as the Cup is finally brought back to it's rightful resting place: The true, north, strong, and free?

You need to rethink your priorities. The hearts of 30 million Canadians? Or the personal achievement of someone like Brind'Amour who can go anywhere but selfishly chooses the money that the Hurricanes can offer?

Get a grip on yourselves, fellow Canadians.

Quit embarassing us. Thanks.

Old
07-30-2006, 12:42 PM
redwingsdude

Chi-town.

Old
07-30-2006, 12:44 PM
bigjags*

I'd pretty much play anywhere. Just happy to be in the NHL.

But one city that would be on the bottom, is the LA Kings.

I like big cities (I love NYC), but LA is gross. No offence to LA residents on here, but I found the city filthy.

Old
07-30-2006, 01:10 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
Nashville and Atlanta right off the bat, being from New York I don't think I could ever tolerate the accent or lifestyle down there. I cannot truly think of any other place I would dislike aside from probably LA or Anaheim.
As a New Yorker that lived in Nashville and frequently visited Atlanta...

neither city is what you imagine. I think there's more New Yorkers in Nashville than there are in...New York...at this point. I'd happily play in either city.

Old
07-30-2006, 01:38 PM
DoctorWho

I'd want to play in San Jose, Columbus, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver

Old
07-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Foy

No one in a southern city has a southern accent. It's only when you get out in the sticks that the accents creep in. Heck, I'm a Southerner, and I have almost no accent.

There are reasons that Atlanta and Nashville are not the greatest city of all time, but none of the reasons you mentioned are anywhere near the list.

I personally would prefer not to play in Chicago (the ownership) or Montreal (the language barrier). If I played in Montreal, I'd feel obligated to learn French.

Old
07-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
I like big cities (I love NYC), but LA is gross. No offence to LA residents on here, but I found the city filthy.
I would never live in the actual city of LA. No, no thanks. There are upsides to living outside the city limits.

Old
07-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
As a New Yorker that lived in Nashville and frequently visited Atlanta...

neither city is what you imagine. I think there's more New Yorkers in Nashville than there are in...New York...at this point. I'd happily play in either city.
I grew up in CT and only moved to Nashville two years ago. I still say that there were more accents in CT than I've encountered here in TN. You have the "Boston", "New York", "Long Island", "Rhode Island" accents all over the Northeast.

Nashville is a city that is growing...and it's growing with people from all over the world. It is not "the sticks", nor is it NYC. I like it down here and would play here.

I wouldn't play in Carolina, Chicago, NY Islanders, Florida, Tampa Bay, Phoenix, or Toronto because I either don't like the management in those markets (CHI, NYI, TOR) or the heat (PHX) or the humidity (FLA, TBY).

Honestly, though...I would die to play anywhere in the NHL besides Carolina (I'm from CT, what can I say...).

Old
07-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletchley View Post
Have you not been to Kingston? I know you're joking, here, but Kingston is stunning. Great UNI too.
yip, know it very well. great grandparents were farmers (and 1st cousins i believe). kingston frightens me !!!

Old
07-30-2006, 01:54 PM
ilovecanada89

Send a message via MSN to ilovecanada89
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I am not trying start an argument, I read your post, and I really wonder why the heck you live in Utah? If you are so much into Canadian Patriotism, I would think you would live there.
Isn't a Canadian who plays for a team in the US doing exactly what you are doing?(I am assuming you have a job).
Like I said, I am not trying to start a fight or anything, I just really don't understand your statement, it seems on face value, to be hypocritical.
I understand where you're coming from. But living here in Utah wasn't my choice, I am still a minor and am living with my parents. The discrimination against Canadians in this place is enough for me to want to move back as soon as I think it's possible. Living in the U.S. has not melted me into an American- rather, it has intensified my Canadian pride.

Old
07-30-2006, 02:02 PM
Transported Upstater

Places I'd like to play:

San Jose
Vancouver
Colorado
Toronto (my favorite city in North America)
Florida (Yo quiero Miami, despite the language barrier)
Boston (my favorite American city)
Ottawa (a city I'm always liked, despite my allegiance as a Leaf fan)

Places I'm not sure about:

Edmonton (love their fans, but it's pretty far from everywhere)
Calgary (not my type of city)
Chicago
Philadelphia (been there countless times, and love the fanbase and the fact that it is easily navigated, but the rest I'm not sure about)
Minnesota (love the area 10 months a year, hate it the other two)
Columbus
St. Louis
Pittsburgh
Buffalo (I have a soft spot for Upstate New York, as it is in my blood, but at the same time Buffalo is a questionable city)
New York (I love many things about Manhattan, but it's just not in my makeup to live there...simply too hectic and busy, far more than any other city I've ever been to)
Montreal (incredible city, I absolutely love it, but the media and fans there are simply too absorbed in the team and I would probably never have any privacy)
Carolina
Tampa

Places I wouldnt want to play:

Dallas (I hate that area with a passion)
Los Angeles and Anaheim (sorry, I'm not a big fan of the LA area)
New Jersey
Nashville
Atlanta
Washington (I cannot stand DC, personally)
Detroit (not a big fan on the Detroit-Windsor area)
Phoenix (awful climate in the summer)
New York Islanders (I have a unfair and illogical bias against Long Island)

Old
07-30-2006, 02:02 PM
ilovecanada89

Send a message via MSN to ilovecanada89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post

Face it: While Canada trounces the US as far as passion for the game of hockey goes, the US is more appealing for most people to live in.
Get real, man. I'd pick Canada over the U.S. any day of the year.

Don't even get me started.

Old
07-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:

Don't blame the USA for Utah.

Old
07-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommieHunter View Post
No one in a southern city has a southern accent. It's only when you get out in the sticks that the accents creep in. Heck, I'm a Southerner, and I have almost no accent.

There are reasons that Atlanta and Nashville are not the greatest city of all time, but none of the reasons you mentioned are anywhere near the list.

I personally would prefer not to play in Chicago (the ownership) or Montreal (the language barrier). If I played in Montreal, I'd feel obligated to learn French.

What? Go somewhere in Northern Florida outside of college campuses...

Old
07-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Blindsided

I wouldnt want to play in...

Toronto
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Nashville
Carolina
Chicago
New York (both)
Pheonix
San Jose

I would want to play in...
Ottawa
Calgary
Washington
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
Florida
Detroit
Columbus
Colorado
Anaheim
Buffalo

I would yet i wouldnt want to play in...
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Dallas
Montreal
Vancouver
Boston
St. Louis

Old
07-30-2006, 02:23 PM
MoreOrr
B4

[QUOTE=ilovecanada89;6163771]I would not play anywhere outside Canada. Some of you guys call yourselves Canadians? What kind of true Canadian gives a care about inner-Canada rivalries, as long as the Cup is finally brought back to it's rightful resting place: The true, north, strong, and free?

QUOTE]

There is my 1st and 2nd favorite team, then I have a couple sub-favs and after that I generally root for Canadian based teams. Vancouver is my 2nd fav team, but if they're out of the picture then I have no problem rooting for Calgary. And in the east, I have often rooted for Ottawa. As for Toronto, I'm pretty much neutral towards them, ... but I'm sorry, don't ask me to cheer for Montreal or Edmonton because I simply could not.

And back when there were only 6 teams, and only 2 in Canada with about 80% of the players in the league being Canadian, it was logical that many Canadian people would be cheering for a US based team which would probably have almost all Canadian players. Perhaps that argument isn't so strong today, but regardless, there is no way that all the Canadian players in the league could play for a Canadian based team, there's just not enough Canadian teams. So there really isn't any reason to critize someone like Brind'Amour for not playing on a team in Canada.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 07-30-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old
07-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater View Post
What? Go somewhere in Northern Florida outside of college campuses...
Maybe it's because I'm so used to the accent that it's lost on me unless it's really strong, but I've been to Orlando and I've been to Jacksonville. I never really heard it much in the cities. Again, the second one leaves the city, it pops right back up in all it's magnificent glory. And it's still a thousand times better than any New York or Boston accent.

Old
07-30-2006, 02:39 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Originally Posted by ilovecanada89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater View Post
Don't blame the USA for Utah.
Yea, I think that's a very good point. Honestly, I wouldn't have imagined that people in Salt Lake, if that's where you live, would have discrimination against Canadians, but certainly not all people in the US are like that.

Old
07-30-2006, 03:56 PM
ChokingV

Send a message via AIM to ChokingV
I wouldn't want to play in...

Anaheim. Little fan support and if I were to play in the area, I'd rather be on the Kings. Also, I don't want to play on a team called the Ducks.

Phoenix. Too hot, little fan support, and can never seem to put together a winning team.

Chicago. Maybe if they got a new owner, but as it is, they get no coverage, hardly any fan support, and hasn't fielded a decent team in a very long time.

Islanders. The organization has always felt second rate to me.

Florida. Ugly jerseys, losing team, and poor fan support. I don't even know what city these guys play in and I've been following hockey for a long time.

Teams I would want to play for:

San Jose. I'm biased because I live here, but they have strong fan support and usually put out good teams.

Vancouver. Nice city.

Philly. Rabid fan base, nice arena, and is usually in the upper third in the standings.

Rangers. I couldn't pass up the chance to play in New York, even if the team is terrible.

Montreal. Strong history, beautiful city, and really strong fan base.

The other teams not listed I wouldn't care either way.

Old
07-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittyfreak31 View Post
I wouldnt want to play in...

Toronto
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Nashville
Carolina
Chicago
New York (both)
Pheonix
San Jose

Interesting. Most people on this board seemingly would love to play in San Jose. Why wouldn't you?

Old
07-30-2006, 04:03 PM
SPARTAKUS*

For me it's pretty simple there's only to cities I would not want play for: MONTREAL and TORONTO.

Closed Thread