HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Where wouldn't you want to play?

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2006, 04:23 PM
MrMackey

vCash: 500
I'd play in any NHL city.

Obviously there are some places that would take more convincing then others (given consideration to distance from family, travel, weather, city/small-town living, playing opportunity, chance to win, etc.), but if I was a hockey player I'd have a really hard time saying that there were teams that I wouldn't even consider. I could easily make a positive case for every single team, even my most hated rivals.

I'm wondering how many people have visited every city on their "I'd never play there" lists. This thread just seems like a poor excuse to get people riled up.

Old
07-30-2006, 04:38 PM
KH1

If I had some choice in the matter I wouldn't want to play in Edmonton because if I were moving north of the border I'd at least want a happening place like Toronto or Vancouver--having grown up in New York any smaller place would be a tough adjustment for me, but I'd have to keep it within reason.

I wouldn't want to play in Dallas because it is not a nice place--I've spent a lot of time in the South and I just couldn't live in Texas, sorry. It is better than Houston though (keep the NHL out of that city, please.)

I wouldn't like to play in Phoenix because the desert would drive me crazy. Also, it's supposedly a city without character which bothers me greatly.

It wouldn't bother me that much to be in a bad organization, because I'd like to have the opportunity to turn a terrible team around (assuming that I was a good enough player to be demanding what team I was on, I could make a difference.) Plus, with the new CBA if things are really awful UFA is never too far away.

Old
07-30-2006, 04:42 PM
vbet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
If I had some choice in the matter I wouldn't want to play in Edmonton because if I were moving north of the border I'd at least want a happening place like Toronto or Vancouver

What part of your visit to Edmonton didn't you like?

Old
07-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
The only places I wouldn't want to play are in Florida (hurricanes only), St. Louis and Buffalo. Reflection of the cities and climates, not the franchises.

Old
07-30-2006, 04:48 PM
se7en*

I definetly wouldn't want to play in Edmonton or Montreal. The cities are probably this countrys most passionate fanbases and I don't think I'd thrive playing in that kind of pressure-cooker environment. Edmontonians are so fanatical with the Oilers that it almost cost a reporter her job and threats of lawsuits against Oiler fans. Montreal I don't even have to explain.

I'd love to play in Chicago, Boston, or New York (Rangers).

Last edited by se7en*: 07-30-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old
07-30-2006, 04:51 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I would love to play for Detroit..the tradition is one thing, but I have a very strong pull for home. Michigan is in the blood, and it will always be home.

Toronto would not be bad...again, tradition. Plus, it's one of my favorite places to visit.

Who would I not play for? Anaheim, Los Angeles, Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina, New York (both teams), Dallas, Philly, Phoenix. My reasoning is weather for the first four ( I can't stand hot weather)...Carolina is a nice place to visit, but I don't like the team (sorry, Canes fans), New York is no place for me (I'm not a New York person)...Texas is not one of my favorite places, Philly is too close to New York, and Phoenix is too hot - again, I'm not a hot weather person. And though I liked Colorado Springs and the area, I could never play for Colorado.

The rest, I could learn to live with I guess

Old
07-30-2006, 04:57 PM
vbet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira View Post
I would love to play for Detroit..the tradition is one thing, but I have a very strong pull for home. Michigan is in the blood, and it will always be home.

Toronto would not be bad...again, tradition. Plus, it's one of my favorite places to visit.

Who would I not play for? Anaheim, Los Angeles, Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina, New York (both teams), Dallas, Philly, Phoenix. My reasoning is weather for the first four ( I can't stand hot weather)...Carolina is a nice place to visit, but I don't like the team (sorry, Canes fans), New York is no place for me (I'm not a New York person)...Texas is not one of my favorite places, Philly is too close to New York, and Phoenix is too hot - again, I'm not a hot weather person. And though I liked Colorado Springs and the area, I could never play for Colorado.

The rest, I could learn to live with I guess
We are really pushing this global warming up in Alberta. The weather has been very nice the last few years. Edmonton and Calgary basically had no snow and the summers are getting warmer but still liveable.

I love CO2

Old
07-30-2006, 05:04 PM
se7en*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbeav View Post
The weather has been very nice the last few years. Edmonton and Calgary basically had no snow and the summers are getting warmer but still liveable.
That's not a good thing!

I love it when it's so cold that it stings when you inhale because the air is so sharp. I love snow - I hate snowless winters. Instead of it being blanketed in snow and cold, it's just brown, drab and cold.

Old
07-30-2006, 05:06 PM
MoreOrr
B4

[QUOTE=se7en;6167414]I definetely wouldn't want to play in Edmonton or Montreal. The cities are probably this countrys most passionate fanbases and I don't think I'd thrive playing in that kind of pressure-cooker environment. Edmontonians are so fanatical with the Oilers that it almost caused a reporter her job and Montreal I don't even have to explain.
QUOTE]

From everything we've heard through the years, I think you could add Philadelphia to that list. Flyers fans seem to have very little tolerance for their team or any of its players playing poorly.
But hey, I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as players don't have to fear for their lives. I only wish that Bruins fans would be a little more demanding of the Bruin organization to put together a better team. I'm sure there's the same sentiment held by some in Chicago as well.

Old
07-30-2006, 05:06 PM
se7en*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaningFizz View Post
Florida. Ugly jerseys, losing team, and poor fan support. I don't even know what city these guys play in and I've been following hockey for a long time.
They play in a Miami suburb, approx. where the circle is.

[IMAGE]http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/7378/untitled1kr3.jpg[/IMAGE]

Old
07-30-2006, 05:13 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbeav View Post
We are really pushing this global warming up in Alberta. The weather has been very nice the last few years. Edmonton and Calgary basically had no snow and the summers are getting warmer but still liveable.

I love CO2
Yeah, but at least you are in a place where you do have a change of seasons, and you are also in a very beautiful part of the continent.

Old
07-30-2006, 05:18 PM
streakie

Send a message via Yahoo to streakie
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
I wouldn't want to play in Dallas because it is not a nice place--I've spent a lot of time in the South and I just couldn't live in Texas, sorry. It is better than Houston though (keep the NHL out of that city, please.)
Have you ever been to Dallas?

Old
07-30-2006, 05:23 PM
vbet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira View Post
Yeah, but at least you are in a place where you do have a change of seasons, and you are also in a very beautiful part of the continent.
It's a good area. Edmonton has a fantastic river valley and trees like very few cities. Better summer weather than Calgary. Edmonton has tons of lakes and cabins around it and fairly good fishing and water sports. A very high amount of cultural artsy fartsy stuff to do.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8...nton7ibhi4.jpg

Calgary has less of a nature city surrounding with every tree being planted in the last 30 years but a nicer downtown skyline. The winter weather is fantastic in Calgary but it does get cold a couple times. Most of the time theres no snow and the streets are bare and dry. And we have the mountains 45 mins to the west and more to do than disneyland inside them.

http://www.novapure.com/Portals/ba3b...ry-skyline.jpg

http://www.outdoorandphoto.com/Trips...-PeytoLake.JPG

Both cities are great and I wouldn't ever move to a large city again after spending 3 hours in traffic every day when I lived in the San Francisco Bay area.

edit: and I might add we have no idea what the word "pollution" or "smog" means.

Last edited by vbet*: 07-30-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old
07-30-2006, 05:32 PM
MoreOrr
B4

If people actually read some of this stuff, it's educational for learning a little something about those cities that you may not have visited.

Old
07-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Dallas, cuz, I live in TX, and I cant stand this place.

Boston, cuz it NY's natural enemy =P

Any canadian team, just cuz of my being an american citizen, and the $$$ issue, not anything political or geographical.

The Caps, cuz I dont like DC

Columbus, cuz the city's too small

Carolina, cuz again, R/D, too small

Minnesota, same reason as above

Buffalo... still too small

Tampa, small =P

Think that about covers it.

Old
07-30-2006, 05:40 PM
philthy mcnasty*

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
That's not a good thing!

I love it when it's so cold that it stings when you inhale because the air is so sharp. I love snow - I hate snowless winters. Instead of it being blanketed in snow and cold, it's just brown, drab and cold.
You're weird... big Oiler fan living in Edmonton, wouldn't want to play for Edmonton because of the media pressure, and wouldn't want to play for Edmonton because it doesn't snow enough or isn't cold enough.

I don't know if you're being serious but that's some strange ****.

Old
07-30-2006, 05:45 PM
se7en*

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy mcnasty View Post
and wouldn't want to play for Edmonton because it doesn't snow enough or isn't cold enough.
I have no complaints about the weather. But last winter it didn't snow until March. (lousy Smarch weather!), and most of my life it's snowed usually from around Halloween to mid-March. I like a snowy Christmas. Last winter was so depressing. Brown grass, bare trees, no snow!

Old
07-30-2006, 05:56 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey View Post
I'm wondering how many people have visited every city on their "I'd never play there" lists. This thread just seems like a poor excuse to get people riled up.
It's obvious that many or most of us probably haven't visited every city that has an NHL team, but there are other ways to know something about the area, if one is curious to investigate. In my case, I've visited or spent time in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Seattle, San Francisco, and Dallas... though that was along time ago. And unfortunately I only passed through Boston, and a couple other NHL cities. However, I have visited 32 states and 6 provinces, some on several occasions, enough to give me a general, personal impression of the area.

Old
07-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I have no complaints about the weather. But last winter it didn't snow until March. (lousy Smarch weather!), and most of my life it's snowed usually from around Halloween to mid-March. I like a snowy Christmas. Last winter was so depressing. Brown grass, bare trees, no snow!

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I came back to Edmonton for Christmas this year, and saw nothing but brown-ish grass driving to my house from the airport. Although it was nice to finally see the sun shine!

Nuttin' beats a white Christmas!

Old
07-30-2006, 06:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
It's obvious that many or most of us probably haven't visited every city that has an NHL team, but there are other ways to know something about the area, if one is curious to investigate. In my case, I've visited or spent time in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Seattle, San Francisco, and Dallas... though that was along time ago. And unfortunately I only passed through Boston, and a couple other NHL cities. However, I have visited 32 states and 6 provinces, some on several occasions, enough to give me a general, personal impression of the area.

That's true in some cases...but I don't think it's at all true in most of the Canadian cities...I'm confident that the remote prairie towns of Alberta have little in common with Edmonton. Similarly, if you travel 40 miles outside Nashville...to Hohenwald...and base your opinion of Nashville on THAT...you're not even close. I think a lot of what I'm seeing...and I feel comfortable in "knowing" a lot about many NHL cities. WHat I'm seeing in this thread is a lot of people basing their opinions on stereotypes. They don't want to play in NY or LA because they want to speak English rather than Spanish. They don't want to wear overalls and chew straw, so Atlanta and Nashville are out. They're not fond of subarctic temperatures and deserted streets...so western Canada is out...and so on. It's pretty sad, but that's the way it goes.

Me personally? I'd play anywhere.

..Except Columbus

I keed, I keed.

Old
07-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Caroline Says ll
Bismarck

Send a message via ICQ to Caroline Says ll
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecanada89 View Post
I would not play anywhere outside Canada. Some of you guys call yourselves Canadians? What kind of true Canadian gives a care about inner-Canada rivalries, as long as the Cup is finally brought back to it's rightful resting place: The true, north, strong, and free?

You need to rethink your priorities. The hearts of 30 million Canadians? Or the personal achievement of someone like Brind'Amour who can go anywhere but selfishly chooses the money that the Hurricanes can offer?

Get a grip on yourselves, fellow Canadians.

P.S. Sens fans are actually the best at not focusing on these rivalries and they ought to be commended. The east does an overall better job of rooting for the common good of Canada. And i'm from the western part, so i'm definetely not biased. I think Canucks fans need to get a hold on themselves and realize how idiotic they are when they refuse to cheer for either the Flames or the Oilers. 'Nucks fans, and the western Canadian teams in gerneral, have been doing the worst.
Wow, you really want to be ravaged my Canada don't you. Or maybe you want to take it slow...Maybe a candle lit dinner(of course it would be Canadian food) when there is a full moon, go back to your place, turn on some Sarah Sarah Mclachlan(Gotta be a Canadian artist, Canadian's who listen to Non-Canadian artists need to get a grip!), And then the magic starts.

Old
07-30-2006, 06:11 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Says ll View Post
Wow, you really want to be ravaged my Canada don't you. Or maybe you want to take it slow...Maybe a candle lit dinner(of course it would be Canadian food) when there is a full moon, go back to your place, turn on some Sarah Sarah Mclachlan(Gotta be a Canadian artist, Canadian's who listen to Non-Canadian artists need to get a grip!), And then the magic starts.
After dinner at a reasonably-priced, humble Canadian dining establishment. And no sell-out, Yankee-serving Timmy Ho's, either!

They could discuss whether or not Rush is still credible after Neil Peart's departure, and more pressing issues like "Separation\No Separation"

Old
07-30-2006, 06:20 PM
vbet*

This thread has turned much nicer. I suggest everyone from their NHL city say something nice about where they live and show why you are proud of your city like I tried to do above. Link some pics of the best parts and interesting things to do.

It seems much nicer than someone listing a place and saying they wouldn't play there.

This might be worthy of a new thread, but I'm too lazy to start one.

Old
07-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Polska

I definately wouldn't want to play in either Calgary or Edmonton.

I've taken four trips to Calgary in the last two years (during summer, fall, and winter) and I've lived in Edmonton for a year in the past. Both cities are pretty flat (yes, I know the Rockies aren't that far, but the actual cities are very flat), the winters are crazy cold compared to the west (they get this like swirling kind of snow dust on the roads, it looks cool, but it's unbearably cold when this happens), and there isn't much greenery. Seems like the only trees they have there are planted. Plus compared to Vancouver there isn't much to do, in terms of recreation and nightlife.

But I will say their fans put us to shame. Both cities, intense fans. Make you proud to be Canadian.
Edit: This might apply more to Edmonton (just basing it on what I saw in the playoffs). In Calgary, now that I think about it, it seemed more like the fashionable thing to be doing (cheering the Flames that is).

Other places I'm not so sure about (but haven't visited so I can't say for sure) are:

Buffalo
Carolina
Long Island (management seems like a mess)
Columbus and Nashville (not a big fan of the mid-west, too country for me)
St. Louis (team sucks and I'm not sure about the city either)
Dallas and Atlanta (I don't like the Southern lifestlye)

Last edited by Polska: 07-30-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old
07-30-2006, 06:22 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Everyone knows that the music to listen to in Canada (or out of Canada for that matter) is Barenaked Ladies.

As for the cities I wouldn't want to play in:

Detroit, Chicago, Dallas, Colorado, San Jose, and Detroit again.

Closed Thread