HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Another Islander move is coming soon

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Another Islander move is coming soon

There will likely be a change on defense, perhaps within the next week. Timander is apparently doing well in the AHL, and the Isles will recall him shortly.

Isles plan to keep the top four intact, but want to move one of their 5 - 7 players. I expect it will be Cairns, who is an UFA this summer. But, I would not be shocked if Martinek went instead (since he probably does have some modest trade value).

11-12-2003, 01:30 PM
disles1

In my opinion we can't get rid of Cairns fast enough---he is horrible. While I agree he brings some toughness, he is so bad on d that I would waive him as well. We do however need toughness on our d to clear guys out from the net--that is why I would trade Parrish for any one of:

Warrener
Gauthier
Mezei
Kubina
McKee
J Smith
Vishnevski

To name a few

Old
11-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by disles1
In my opinion we can't get rid of Cairns fast enough---he is horrible. While I agree he brings some toughness, he is so bad on d that I would waive him as well. We do however need toughness on our d to clear guys out from the net--that is why I would trade Parrish for any one of:

Warrener
Gauthier
Mezei
Kubina
McKee
J Smith
Vishnevski

To name a few
If the Isles could get Warrner or Mckee for Parrish, I'd be happy to pay Mark's cabfare to the airport. None on the other guys are good enough to get me to give up a #2 winger, and in Smith's case, $ is the issue.

Be that as it may, I don't expect Parrish to get dealt for a dman. We might not like it, but the Isles seem to be planning to go with their top seven, minus Cairns.

We'll see.

Old
11-12-2003, 01:35 PM
BlackIce

I hate to break it to you, but Rhett will drop the gloves..... He was known in buffalo for his toughness and the timely dropping of his gloves.

Old
11-12-2003, 01:36 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arankys
None of those guys will drop the gloves if needed, why is some Islanders fans so content to turn this team into a bunch of pansies?
Cairns as a #6 is excellent.
Cairns is an OK #6 but he is too limited to take another shift.

The Isles don't have as many problems with toughness as you are suggesting (Asham, Scatchard, Goddard).

Old
11-12-2003, 01:41 PM
disles1

Quote:
None of those guys will drop the gloves if needed, why is some Islanders fans so content to turn this team into a bunch of pansies?
Cairns as a #6 is excellent.
None of these guys won't drop their gloves??? Do you watch any hockey?? Cmon---if we have to rely on Cairns playing 10-15 min shifts then we are in Big trouble come playoff time. Its about UPGRADING your talent and Cairns has none!!

Old
11-12-2003, 02:06 PM
disles1

Quote:
IMO i think they should keep
Cairns and add another tough D-man. Jonson should be the D-man traded.
I agree our top 4 are too "soft" but I don't know how much trade value Jonsson has. I would love the isles to get a tough #4 dman preferably a right handed shot. Then we would we better suited for the playoffs.

Old
11-12-2003, 02:53 PM
disles1

My ideal islanders team: We trade Parrish and #2 for R Warrener-
we then trade Hamrlik and Papineau for Tanguay and J Boychek:

Kvash Yash Czer
Tang Peca Hunter
Blake Scatch Asham
Berg Bates Godard

Jonsson Aucoin
Niinamaa Warrener

Dipietro

This upgrades our team and saves us some $$$

Old
11-12-2003, 03:27 PM
BruinFan42

Anaheim just might jump at a Parrish for Vishnevski deal.....

Old
11-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Ozy_Flame

Parrish and a 2nd for Warrener? I like big, tough defensemen, but done and done! We need offensive too much to be picky.

Beggers can't be choosers!

Old
11-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Parrish and a 2nd for Warrener? I like big, tough defensemen, but done and done! We need offensive too much to be picky.

Beggers can't be choosers!
To be honest, I think you are underestimating the value of Warrener. He is a pretty solid defensive dman, in the prime of his game.

BTW, the Isles would have to unload a dman in any deal, because they have so many under contract. So, I think a package of Parrish and Martinek for Warrener and somthing else would be more realistic.

Old
11-12-2003, 04:13 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
McEachearn for Isbister????

sorry darth...had to bring that gem up again...

Old
11-12-2003, 04:33 PM
herecomesdabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
There will likely be a change on defense, perhaps within the next week. Timander is apparently doing well in the AHL, and the Isles will recall him shortly.

Isles plan to keep the top four intact, but want to move one of their 5 - 7 players. I expect it will be Cairns, who is an UFA this summer. But, I would not be shocked if Martinek went instead (since he probably does have some modest trade value).

You have some inside info or is this from an article?

Old
11-12-2003, 04:41 PM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:
If the Isles could get Warrner or Mckee for Parrish, I'd be happy to pay Mark's cabfare to the airport.
Darth's getting lazy in his old age. A few years ago he would Drive chow to the airport if he was moved. Now he's only offering Cab fair. You bum!

Old
11-12-2003, 04:44 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
McEachearn for Isbister????

sorry darth...had to bring that gem up again...

No apologies necessary. Thanks for the early evening laugh!

Old
11-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesdabus
You have some inside info or is this from an article?

No inside sources. This is from Alan Hahn's article the other day.

Old
11-12-2003, 04:52 PM
SensGod

Just to back this up a bit...I've been trapped in Arkanas without a net connection for about a month...

one question...

WHY THE HELL IS THE DARK LORD WAIVING WEIMER???

has he been THAT bad this year? I thought he was the quintessential 3rd/4th liner???? Were people not comparing him to Stu Barnes last year?

What is going on or is this just another Milbery"ism"...aka...brain cramp?

Old
11-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Moving Cairns doesn't worry me so much as does adding Timander to the NHL squad. Soft and vanilla.

Since last season, jettisoning Webb's bodychecking, Weimer's toughness and Cairn's punch would be absolutely ridiculous.

You don't need a lot of enforcers in today's NHL, but having one token goon (Godard, who was pummeled by Brashear last night) is misguided.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:22 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Just to back this up a bit...I've been trapped in Arkanas without a net connection for about a month...

one question...

WHY THE HELL IS THE DARK LORD WAIVING WEIMER???

has he been THAT bad this year? I thought he was the quintessential 3rd/4th liner???? Were people not comparing him to Stu Barnes last year?

What is going on or is this just another Milbery"ism"...aka...brain cramp?

Welcome back, dude. Good to see you posting again.

We were all surprised when this happened. But, the bottom line is $. Isles are trying to shrink their payroll and apparently had to unload Wiemer's contract in a hurry. Most Islander fans are pretty angry about the situation.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Moving Cairns doesn't worry me so much as does adding Timander to the NHL squad. Soft and vanilla.

Since last season, jettisoning Webb's bodychecking, Weimer's toughness and Cairn's punch would be absolutely ridiculous.

You don't need a lot of enforcers in today's NHL, but having one token goon (Godard, who was pummeled by Brashear last night) is misguided.

Completely agree.

And, as much as I thought the acquisition of Wiemer was badly misguided, he and Scatch are the only two big physical forward we had in the top nine.

Dark day to be an Islander fan, eh?

Old
11-12-2003, 05:50 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by disles1
we then trade Hamrlik and Papineau for Tanguay and J Boychek:
I didn't think the Islanders would be moving Roman Hamrlik, especially after I was told vehemently by CREW, etc. that he'll be re-signed long term by Wang and co.

Old
11-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
I didn't think the Islanders would be moving Roman Hamrlik, especially after I was told vehemently by CREW, etc. that he'll be re-signed long term by Wang and co.

You are distorting what was said. The point was that Hamrlik wouldn't be moved soon, and he wouldn't be given away for little return (like the Kyle Calder deal you once suggested). But, ANY player on the Isles can be dealt, as we all know.

Old
11-12-2003, 10:51 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Warrener and Smith are only players mentioned in your list that drop the gloves.
I have no problem playing Cairns 10-12 min which is what most teams play their #6 D-man. Toughness is a talent so trading Cairns will be downgrading th biggest need for the Isle D. IMO i think they should keep
Cairns and add another tough D-man. Jonson should be the D-man traded.
in an ideal world i agree about trading jonsson for a tougher solid stay at homer.. however, jonsson and his injury past does not make his value strong enough to do that, thus making him more valuable to the isles then league wide.. he is a very good defenseman, just with a serious past injury list..

Old
11-13-2003, 05:09 AM
SensGod

Quote:
Welcome back, dude. Good to see you posting again.

We were all surprised when this happened. But, the bottom line is $. Isles are trying to shrink their payroll and apparently had to unload Wiemer's contract in a hurry. Most Islander fans are pretty angry about the situation.
Thanks...appreciate it. Arkansas is NO place for a hockey fan. All they've got on TV there is the Stars *shudder*...some of M=G's points about the Stars started making sense...so I left...PRONTO!

I was not aware that the Isles were having payroll issues...but DAMN...moving Weimer because of it just boggles the mind.

Old
11-13-2003, 06:30 AM
disles1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
This was my opinion of how to improve the isles while reducing some payroll as well. I think the trades I suggested were pretty fair and anything is possible with the Dark One. I would move Hamrlik because he plays a similar game to Niinamaa and he is our highest paid dman. With the isles obviously looking to shed payroll--were over budget by 7 million--these two trades in my opinion make the isles better and reduce the payroll by 3 million. We get tougher on d and get a young scoring forward as well. And Darth we can waive either Cairns, Timmander or Butch to get down to 7 dmen.

Closed Thread