HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malkin first will Emelin do the same?

Old
08-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Malkin first will Emelin do the same?

what do you guys think ? Emelin the type to hand in his 2 week notice or is he goona stay over there ?i really wish he'd come over

Malkin is under contract with Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the Russian Super League for two more years. Meehan said it is his understanding that Russian labor law allows employees to leave their employers with a certain type of notice. He expects several Russian players who have been drafted by NHL teams to use the same means to leave Russia.

http://postgazette.com/pg/06215/710757-61.stm

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 04:53 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Malkin probably decided to come over because he knows he will be a big part of the Pens. Not so for Emelin who would be a big part of Hamilton.
It's up to him, so we'll see what he decides.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Do you guys think he could replace Bouillon during his injury ?

Not very possible but i would like to know if he could be good enough for the job.As far as i know he is a physical D and that's the kind of guy we are going to need if Bouillon is out for a few months.Is Cote better than him at this point ?

Thoughts ?

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 05:11 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Maybe Dan (Montreal) can answer this better but I think it's safe to say no. He never played in NA and will probably need a couple years in Hamilton before making the big club.
We could really use Emelin in Hamilton though.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 06:17 PM
maci4life

his transition to NA couldn't get more help than kovy, markov, sammy, and perez. you never know, what it all comes down to is how well you play hockey, many euro's proved they can play even on their first year.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Weis
Rise Together

Meehan already sent the letter (2 week notice) to Metallurg Magnitogorsk and they are discuting with Ray Shero (Pittsburgh DG)

From RDS (french) :
Malkin, deuxième choix au total du repêchage de 2004, est sous contrat avec le Metallurg Magnitogorsk jusqu’en 2008. Les lois du travail en Russie permettent à un employé de quitter si un avis par écrit est donné deux semaines avant la date de départ.

« Nous avons suivi la loi et envoyé une lettre » a dit Meehan. « Maintenant, la prochaine étape est de négocier avec les Penguins. »

Meehan a ajouté qu’il avait déjà discuté avec le directeur général des Penguins Ray Shero.

Weis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Emelin may have his personal reasons to stay in Russia, but frankly, I hope his agent is telling him of the window of opportunity he is missing. Next year, 3 of our most important blueliners (Markov, Souray, Rivet) will be UFA and nobody expect Gainey to sign them all. With our lack of depth in this position, Emelin would have the perfect opportunity to earn a spot, and he would have this year to acclimate himself to the smaller ice surface.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 08:41 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I would guess no since his dad is the coach of Lada but it's impossible to know at this point. Perhaps the Habs will make him a really good offer but at this point if I had to put money on it, I would go with Emelin staying in Russia. But who knows what will happen.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't follow Emelin close enough to be able to state with certainty whether or not he could make the NHL (I imagine there are no regular posters to our forum who do), but my general inclination would be to assume that a 20-year old defenseman (who, however good he is, is still not considered an elite prospect) is probably not ready to step into the NHL. And nothing I've seen from him in the WJC would dispute that assumption.

Soooo... given that he's in all likelihood destined for Hamilton if he comes over this year, and given that even if he does sign here the max contract he could get would be $850k (docked by taxes), I can't help but think he's probably going to be much better off financially in Russia. He isn't Malkin who will step right in and stand a good chance of getting $4M. Emelin would probably get $75k in the minors plus whatever signing bonus, with an outside chance at some days on the NHL roster at an $850k rate. Not much incentive to come over if he can pull down good money in Russia. And that's without the personal preference side which would seem to favour him staying there too.

Basically, I think with Emelin we pretty much have to leave him there for at least this year, then maybe we'll have a better idea if he would be able to sign for the rookie max + incentives and stick with the team. If it takes that kind of contract to get him, then our organisation has to be really confident that he'll be able to perform at that elite level. Because you can't go around setting the precedent of giving 3rd round picks rookie max+incentive deals, it would set us up for potential troubles with every Latendresse, Carle, Maxwell, O'Byrne, etc who comes along. You might argue that Emelin is clearly better than those guys and is in a special situation to deserve a special contract, but I don't see any strong evidence to suggest that the agents for those other players should buy that line of reasoning.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote