HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: So, I spoke with my local FIOS rep today...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-16-2008, 05:37 PM
  #1
Tracy
Registered User
 
Tracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY
Posts: 761
vCash: 500
OT: So, I spoke with my local FIOS rep today...

And was about to make my FIOS tv installation appointment when he told me that FIOS television will NOT be carrying the Sabres HD broadcasts. Just the regular standard definition MSG channel. FIOS tv will also NOT be offering Center Ice...WTH? No FIOS tv for me. Just a heads up to anyone interested in FIOS tv that also prefers HD Sabres games and/or Center Ice. Bummer.

Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 06:35 PM
  #2
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah
 
Mike McDermott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kenmore
Country: United States
Posts: 12,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrfan View Post
And was about to make my FIOS tv installation appointment when he told me that FIOS television will NOT be carrying the Sabres HD broadcasts. Just the regular standard definition MSG channel. FIOS tv will also NOT be offering Center Ice...WTH? No FIOS tv for me. Just a heads up to anyone interested in FIOS tv that also prefers HD Sabres games and/or Center Ice. Bummer.
I don't know about the center ice, which doesn't affect me, I don't order it anyways... but I was told by the guy I set up mine with that they will have MSGHD including HD Sabres' games. One of use was lied to.... I hope to all that is holy that it wasn't me.

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 06:55 PM
  #3
aceface33
Registered User
 
aceface33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Herkimer, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
I don't know about the center ice, which doesn't affect me, I don't order it anyways... but I was told by the guy I set up mine with that they will have MSGHD including HD Sabres' games. One of use was lied to.... I hope to all that is holy that it wasn't me.
I don't think MSGHD broadcasts the Sabre games in HD. If that makes any sense. It's broadcast on a seperate channel via a direct feed from the Sabres I believe. I'd call Fios MikeM and make sure before the season starts.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:20 PM
  #4
Arular
Registered User
 
Arular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Does it have the NHL Network?

Arular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:41 PM
  #5
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah
 
Mike McDermott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kenmore
Country: United States
Posts: 12,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I don't think MSGHD broadcasts the Sabre games in HD. If that makes any sense. It's broadcast on a seperate channel via a direct feed from the Sabres I believe. I'd call Fios MikeM and make sure before the season starts.
HD is nice of course, yes but as long as I can watch the games I'm OK. I'm just happy that I'm getting 60+ HD channels with FiosTV vs roughly 10 with TWC.

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:33 PM
  #6
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 20,140
vCash: 500
Verizon needs to get their **** together as far as their sales reps go. I was at the kiosk in the boulevard last week asking if they were currently carrying MSG in HD. You'd think that being in Buffalo, this would be a pretty common thing to ask about. Dude said "yes."

I'm iffy on getting the TV service. All I want it for is Sabres games, but a Slingbox and Slingcatcher will take care of that. Meh. I'll probably still do it if I can come in at less than 80 with internet connection.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 09:30 PM
  #7
Rebuild
Registered User
 
Rebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,432
vCash: 500
I was under, the obviously mistaken impression, that Verizons Fios service basically mirrored direct TV. I think thats what they told me when I set up my moms phone/and dish with thee one bill thing. They basically told me that when Fios came to here place they'd just switch out the equiptment.

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:25 PM
  #8
Tracy
Registered User
 
Tracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY
Posts: 761
vCash: 500
I'm only repeating what I was told by my rep. I would love if he were wrong. Fios appears to be better than Time Warner, especially for what I'm paying for the HD line up. As I already have Fios internet installed in my house - going with Fios TV was just the next step. But my son and I both play fantasy hockey so we really like having Center Ice too. We could grudgingly go without the Sabres HD channel, but not without Center Ice too. Guess we'll wait and see if Fios adds CI.

Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:41 AM
  #9
SonOfWade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
I talked to a Verizon sales rep yesterday, and was told they do not carry MSG HD, nor do they have any knowledge of a special "Sabres HD" channel. The rep tried to then convince me that the local NHL games were "probably" on FOX, and that that was available in HD.

However, this weekend's Buffalo Sabres Puckdrop 2008 is sponsered by Verizon FIOS, so I'd hope that there might be some sort of agreement, and a special channel is provided, much like TW does.

Also missing from the WNY FIOS TV lineup are CBC (no HNiC), CTV, and MSNBC.

SonOfWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:12 AM
  #10
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,474
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
It's good to know sales people are accountable for what they tell customers to get them to bite.



Oh wait...

As they say, always get claims in writing.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:25 AM
  #11
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 20,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfWade View Post
Also missing from the WNY FIOS TV lineup are CBC (no HNiC), CTV, and MSNBC.
That blows. Dammit, I want to want to get FIOS.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:51 AM
  #12
CrankyJay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpurple View Post
I was under, the obviously mistaken impression, that Verizons Fios service basically mirrored direct TV. I think thats what they told me when I set up my moms phone/and dish with thee one bill thing. They basically told me that when Fios came to here place they'd just switch out the equiptment.
My understanding was they were doing this until they got their own TV service up and running. They basically repackaged DirecTV broadcasts.

I'm extrememly happy with my DirecTV.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:40 AM
  #13
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah
 
Mike McDermott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kenmore
Country: United States
Posts: 12,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfWade View Post
I talked to a Verizon sales rep yesterday, and was told they do not carry MSG HD, nor do they have any knowledge of a special "Sabres HD" channel. The rep tried to then convince me that the local NHL games were "probably" on FOX, and that that was available in HD.

However, this weekend's Buffalo Sabres Puckdrop 2008 is sponsered by Verizon FIOS, so I'd hope that there might be some sort of agreement, and a special channel is provided, much like TW does.

Also missing from the WNY FIOS TV lineup are CBC (no HNiC), CTV, and MSNBC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
It's good to know sales people are accountable for what they tell customers to get them to bite.



Oh wait...

As they say, always get claims in writing.


Looking at my in writing channel line up... MSG, MSNBC, CTV, MSGHD, MSNBC HD are all included. I don't know where you got that they don't have those channels. Yeah CBC isn't on the line up which sucks for HNIC.

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:54 AM
  #14
aceface33
Registered User
 
aceface33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Herkimer, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
Looking at my in writing channel line up... MSG, MSNBC, CTV, MSGHD, MSNBC HD are all included. I don't know where you got that they don't have those channels. Yeah CBC isn't on the line up which sucks for HNIC.
I switched to DirecTV this year and while it sucks not to get CBC any more the picture quality was often so bad for HniC on Time Warner last year I don't think I'll miss it too much. What I ended up doing during the playoffs was watching the games in HD in Versus or NBC or whatever and switching to CBC during intermissions.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:01 AM
  #15
SonOfWade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
[/B]
Looking at my in writing channel line up... MSG, MSNBC, CTV, MSGHD, MSNBC HD are all included. I don't know where you got that they don't have those channels. Yeah CBC isn't on the line up which sucks for HNIC.
Then the Verizon sales rep I talked to yesterday was wrong. She told me the only channels missing from what I have with TWC are MSNBC and any local cable access channels. I questioned her about the Sabres/MSGHD, as well as the two Canadian channels and she said "oh, those too".

SonOfWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:10 AM
  #16
CrankyJay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I switched to DirecTV this year and while it sucks not to get CBC any more the picture quality was often so bad for HniC on Time Warner last year I don't think I'll miss it too much. What I ended up doing during the playoffs was watching the games in HD in Versus or NBC or whatever and switching to CBC during intermissions.
Early bird price for NHL Center Ice is only $160 split up into 4 payments. You could solve that problem by getting that. Up to 40 games a week + up to 12 games in HD.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
  #17
washman
Registered User
 
washman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
What about direct tv versus dish network. I currently have direct tv and watch the sabres on msg Altenate 1. home games in HD, away not. Does dish also offer this? I don't want the NFL package anymore and would trade to dishnetwork to get my locals here in Erie (which they offer and Directtv does not). But no way want to lose the Sabres in the process. anyone? anyone?

washman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:26 PM
  #18
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by washman View Post
What about direct tv versus dish network. I currently have direct tv and watch the sabres on msg Altenate 1. home games in HD, away not. Does dish also offer this? I don't want the NFL package anymore and would trade to dishnetwork to get my locals here in Erie (which they offer and Directtv does not). But no way want to lose the Sabres in the process. anyone? anyone?
Dish does offer it in a similar manner, on an alternate feed. At least in Buffalo, but I'd check to see if in Erie it's the same.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:06 AM
  #19
YoGman
Registered User
 
YoGman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Early bird price for NHL Center Ice is only $160 split up into 4 payments. You could solve that problem by getting that. Up to 40 games a week + up to 12 games in HD.
I wait until February and get the NHL ticket at a discount.

YoGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:47 AM
  #20
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 20,140
vCash: 500
The best is that I'm still not clear on what the deal is.

My current understanding is that FIOS carries MSG, in HD, but the away games will not be broadcast in HD. True or false, from people who actually have the service (clearly the sales reps are useless)?

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:54 AM
  #21
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah
 
Mike McDermott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kenmore
Country: United States
Posts: 12,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
The best is that I'm still not clear on what the deal is.

My current understanding is that FIOS carries MSG, in HD, but the away games will not be broadcast in HD. True or false, from people who actually have the service (clearly the sales reps are useless)?
FIOS TV wasn't in this area last season. So we won't know about the home/road situation until the season. My install date is this upcoming Tuesday. Once I get it installed I can at least let you know if they have MSGHD for sure or not.

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:46 AM
  #22
CrankyJay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I wait until February and get the NHL ticket at a discount.
What sort of discount do you get?

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 09:50 AM
  #23
Rebuild
Registered User
 
Rebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
What sort of discount do you get?

Its a half season price. Half of the regular, non early bird price.

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 11:34 AM
  #24
zbubble
Registered User
 
zbubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,123
vCash: 500
Here's the channel lineup:

http://www22.verizon.com/content/fio...nel+lineup.htm

No MSGHD listed, at least for my Zipcode. No CBC or CTV either. Perhaps they thought you meant JCTV, which appears to be Jesus Christ television?

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 11:37 AM
  #25
CrankyJay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 500
My friend who has TW claims he got an email from TW saying they'll upgrade his internet connection to 10mb down at no additional cost to him. He lives in Amherst. I wonder if this is TW's way to keep their current customer base from switching to FiOS.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.