HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AUOTT - St Pierre and Miquelon

Old
08-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Galchenkel

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
AUOTT - St Pierre and Miquelon

so, people, i want to talk about my lil' archipelago.

Who knows what about it? who has ever came here? Who knows it even exist?....who cares?

PS: AUOTT = Another Unuseful Off Topic Thread

Galchenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 09:58 PM
znk

I think it's odd lol. I know verry little about it. I think there is a chanel from there on Bell express vue.

Do you have all the french laws? What side of the street do you drive on?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Galchenkel

yes we have french laws. we are all french citizens, under the french governement authorities. With both french culture and north american culture.

we drive right

Old
08-01-2006, 10:05 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

heard about it... its like the last part of what use to be new france that actually belongs to france. off the coast of newfoundland, i believe?

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

SPM is a small 2 island archipelago off the coasts of Canada. It is a French possession and has a representative in the French government and everything, it is a part of France.

They are mainly fishermen I gotta think. The land never looked real good for agriculture to me. Very rocky.

They play hockey a little there. Junior teams from SPM sometimes came to play against us in tourneys when they took place in Eastern Quebec. They were trounced, their gear was so-so, but you felt they give it their all. If I remember, the tourney organizers also allowed players older than regulation to play for the team, as long as they were below 18 so that they'd ice their best. That I'm aware, no Miquelonian has ever transitionned to Quebec's junior program.

There is a SPM channel on Vu! which I watch sporadically. It's mainly programming from mainland France with very, very little Quebec content (I saw a hockey clinic-type program once) and I think they only have one TV show produced on the island...the news. 15 minutes. Per day.

The other International French channel is interesting too. See news and programs from all over the Francophone world, including places like Senegal! Third world TV puts our stuff in perspective. The pigs live in the house and it's NORMAL!!!

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

I gotta ask, are there nice women age 18 to 25 on the island? If yes, I might just visit

Old
08-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Galchenkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I gotta ask, are there nice women age 18 to 25 on the island? If yes, I might just visit
you should see my girlfriend

Old
08-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Galchenkel

Quote:
SPM is a small 2 island archipelago off the coasts of Canada. It is a French possession and has a representative in the French government and everything, it is a part of France.

They are mainly fishermen I gotta think. The land never looked real good for agriculture to me. Very rocky.

They play hockey a little there. Junior teams from SPM sometimes came to play against us in tourneys when they took place in Eastern Quebec. They were trounced, their gear was so-so, but you felt they give it their all. If I remember, the tourney organizers also allowed players older than regulation to play for the team, as long as they were below 18 so that they'd ice their best. That I'm aware, no Miquelonian has ever transitionned to Quebec's junior program.

There is a SPM channel on Vu! which I watch sporadically. It's mainly programming from mainland France with very, very little Quebec content (I saw a hockey clinic-type program once) and I think they only have one TV show produced on the island...the news. 15 minutes. Per day.

The other International French channel is interesting too. See news and programs from all over the Francophone world, including places like Senegal! Third world TV puts our stuff in perspective. The pigs live in the house and it's NORMAL!!!
yes hockey is the main sport here. but i don't remember any junior team going to quebec. was it a long time ago?
and yes, arnaud briand play with the st jean beavers a few years ago, and he later became captain of team France.

and for the TV programs, yes we have only one chanel from here but they produce a bit more than one program. but the cable (wich everybody has) offer us RDS, TQS, SRC, CBC, NBC, ABC, TSN, Canal D, Canal Vie...a lot of north american chanels. Plus a few europeans ones.

Old
08-01-2006, 10:40 PM
KLu

Send a message via MSN to KLu
Do you have some picture of where you live? I'm wondering how the architechture looks like? Are there old place like Vieux Québec..

Also, what type of cars do you have?

On which Island do you live? I've just read that there are like only 600 ppl on Miquelon..

Last edited by KLu: 08-01-2006 at 10:43 PM. Reason: new questions
KLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 10:43 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

what time zone are you in

Old
08-01-2006, 10:45 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLu View Post
Do you have some picture of where you live? I'm wondering how the architechture looks like? Are there old place like Vieux Québec..

On which Island do you live? I've just read that there are like only 600 ppl on Miquelon..
I guess this link could help you.
http://www.st-pierre-et-miquelon.com/

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Depends what you mean by long ago. At least ten years ago, anyways. Can't tell the exact year, but probably around 1994-95

I must not have been much older than 13-14 back then.

About Briand, you have a point. His effort is notable, but he has not REALLY been in there, he played two games in two seasons with St-Jean. That's right along the infamous Manon Rheaume Line for "Having a career" (3 games in three years, for those unaware of the joke...)

I'm looking at Arnaud's career record in many teams, and I can see he's got one point + a game on average when he plays in France, and a lot less than that when he plays elsewhere (He played QMJHL, Sweden, Germany...)

I'd like to see France become more of a hockey power, but right now it's seemingly doomed to produce one NHL player per decade (In the 90's Bozon, in the 2000's Huet) and with the rise of Switzerland as a semi-permanent member of the main group in international competition, France must fight with countries like Belarus and Kazakhstan to get into big competitions. Without Huet, it's not happening.

France needs its own Mark Streit: A player that will fly under the NHL's radar that the national program will be able to count on for many many years to build up their IIHF ranking and the sport's popularity. Without that, and without Huet during NHL season, France is doomed to second division forever.

Old
08-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Galchenkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLu View Post

we have both europeans cars and north americans. and i live in St pierre wich counts something like 6500 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdusco View Post
what time zone are you in
we have two hours of more than in quebec.

Old
08-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

They're on Newfie Time Zone.

Old
08-01-2006, 11:13 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
They're on Newfie Time Zone.
Actually theyre a half an hour behind us

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 11:15 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

what does miquolin mean (i probably spelt that really wrong) or is it just a name?

Old
08-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Miquelon is the old french for Michel.

St. Pierre is the Father Saint of Fishermen.

Old
08-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Bryzga lol*

isn't pilota big in spm?

what's the immigration/emmigration like there? I once had a university class with a girl from spm and she told me she had a culture shock moving to moncton NB.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 11:38 PM
sheed36

Been to Miquelon a few times.Drank a few rum and cokes there. Really great people and a nice town.Never been to St. Pierre though but have heard some great stories about the bars and people there.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Galchenkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
isn't pilota big in spm?

what's the immigration/emmigration like there? I once had a university class with a girl from spm and she told me she had a culture shock moving to moncton NB.
well, there are many people from metropolitan france coming to live here. and about this girl, she was probably a girl whom had never moved from the island because i've been lots of time to moncton and canada and it's far to be a culture shock. sure it's different but not a shock.
i'm sure i'd see who she is if you'd give me her name.

and what do you call pilota?

Old
08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Galchenkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdusco View Post
what does miquolin mean (i probably spelt that really wrong) or is it just a name?
i've once heard it was the indian name for mickael

Old
08-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Coco Fever

Maybe a stupid question;
Do you speak 'français de France' or 'français du Québec'?
In other words; what accent? Is there a SPM accent?

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Galchenkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Fever View Post
Maybe a stupid question;
Do you speak 'français de France' or 'français du Québec'?
In other words; what accent? Is there a SPM accent?
yes there is a SPM accent. but many here speak "français de france".

Old
08-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Thibaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by medmed View Post
yes hockey is the main sport here. but i don't remember any junior team going to quebec. was it a long time ago?
and yes, arnaud briand play with the st jean beavers a few years ago, and he later became captain of team France.

and for the TV programs, yes we have only one chanel from here but they produce a bit more than one program. but the cable (wich everybody has) offer us RDS, TQS, SRC, CBC, NBC, ABC, TSN, Canal D, Canal Vie...a lot of north american chanels. Plus a few europeans ones.
The channel that we have in Québec/Canada is RFO St-Pierre et Miquelon. But on that channel they talk about another channel called "Tempo" that is not available here. I am curious about that, do you have one or two channels? And do you have TF 1, France 2, France 3, or only the french networks available in Québec/Canada like Planète and Euronews? And is it cable tv or satellite TV?

Thibaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 11:06 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I know enough about it and meet so many people from there as they pass at the airport either from Air St Pierre on to a flight to france or vice versa.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote