HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AUOTT - St Pierre and Miquelon

Old
08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Galchenkel

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibaj View Post
The channel that we have in Québec/Canada is RFO St-Pierre et Miquelon. But on that channel they talk about another channel called "Tempo" that is not available here. I am curious about that, do you have one or two channels? And do you have TF 1, France 2, France 3, or only the french networks available in Québec/Canada like Planète and Euronews? And is it cable tv or satellite TV?
yes we do have tempo. but we don't have TF1, France2...but RFO st pierre offers us many program of those channels. and i think we have Planete but not Euronews.

Galchenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Roots73

I went to St. Pierre as part of a class trip ... must have been almost 20 years ago. Great spot! If I had the chance I would go there again.

It was supposed to be a French class trip. We were to speak french to all the store clerks and we changed all our money into francs. Get to the stores and the clerks speak english and take CDN money. So that's a wasted effort.

The cobblestone streets and beat up cars are awesome. I swear that there wasn't one car there that didn't have a least one dent in it. With the narrow streets, there's no wonder.

Saw EXCALIBER in french there too. Yeah they had up to date movies back then, well 10 years after it was released isn't too bad. But the whole class got kicked out when we laughed and joked where the knight banged this maiden at the beginning of the movie. Uncensored movies and teenagers didn't mix well for our teachers.

Perhaps what was most different was the graveyard. We all waited until evening and brought flashlights and peered into the above ground tombs. For some reason nobody was buried, it was all above ground. Whys that med?

On our last day we rented a bus and drove around the entire island. It takes maybe 10-15 minutes to go around the whole thing. Saw the bigger island from a distance. I get that mixed up is the bigger island Miquelon or St. Pierre? Anyways would've liked to have seen that island but we had no time.

All in all, I'd reccomend the visit. Worst part is driving down the Burin pen. That's 3 hours that I'll never get back.

Roots73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Thibaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by medmed View Post
yes we do have tempo. but we don't have TF1, France2...but RFO st pierre offers us many program of those channels. and i think we have Planete but not Euronews.
Thanks. When there is an event like the World Cup (for example the final between France and Italy) were you able to watch on ABC (American feed), RDS (Québec feed), CTV (Canadian feed) and Tempo (with the french TF1 feed)? Because in Montreal we would like to get the french TF1 feed and commentators for these kind of events that were available on RFO before but removed since then, probably to protect RDS... I haven't seen a sport event on RFO since the Salt Lake City Olympics in 2002 (only some events), unless it is not available on Canadian channels (like soccer matches of the Coupe de France).

Thibaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Galchenkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibaj View Post
Thanks. When there is an event like the World Cup (for example the final between France and Italy) were you able to watch on ABC (American feed), RDS (Québec feed), CTV (Canadian feed) and Tempo (with the french TF1 feed)? Because in Montreal we would like to get the french TF1 feed and commentators for these kind of events that were available on RFO before but removed since then, probably to protect RDS... I haven't seen a sport event on RFO since the Salt Lake City Olympics in 2002 (only some events), unless it is not available on Canadian channels (like soccer matches of the Coupe de France).
yes during the World Cup it was RFO st pierre wich broadcasted TF1 programs and not Tempo. much better than on RDS

Old
08-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Galchenkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots73 View Post

The cobblestone streets and beat up cars are awesome. I swear that there wasn't one car there that didn't have a least one dent in it.

Perhaps what was most different was the graveyard. We all waited until evening and brought flashlights and peered into the above ground tombs. For some reason nobody was buried, it was all above ground. Whys that med?

Saw the bigger island from a distance. I get that mixed up is the bigger island Miquelon or St. Pierre?
about cars...i can't tell you, i'm 19 so i wasn't born 20 years ago. But now there's a lot of beautiful car, but there are also poor ones.

about the graveyard, everybody is buried, it's just that it's a kind of tradition i guess, every tombs are covered by a big cement pave. most of french graveyard you'll se are like this. execpt maybe americans ones (like in normandy) .

and the bigger island is by far miquelon.

-------> http://www.dom-tom.eu.com/dom-tom/sa...e-miquelon.gif

Old
08-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Pere Noel

Were you to be given the opportunity to become Canadian instead of Remaining French (yet, you would be an official French speaking province). Would you prefer that?

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 05:10 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel View Post
Were you to be given the opportunity to become Canadian instead of Remaining French (yet, you would be an official French speaking province). Would you prefer that?
I have a better idea.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
I have a better idea.
Which is?

Old
08-02-2006, 05:15 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel View Post
Which is?
Make them part of the beautiful country of Quebec.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
Make them part of the beautiful country of Quebec.
I was suspecting this.

I am French Canadian by the way, and was born in Quebec, the province.

1-Wouldn't it be nice to have another French speaking province within Canada?

2-Also, that would stop the continuous fishing war between Canada & France.

Old
08-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Galchenkel

i think we have once been property of canada but back again to france authority later. and even if i love canada, i think it is much better for us beeing french. because of our poor economy, the government give us so much money that everybody live higher than their means. all of government's buildings, and all structures that depends of publics funds are brand new. and with our geographical situation, we can benefit of the "France in North america" status wich can bring us quite a lot of tourists in summer. and if we were canadians...we would only be and canadian island with almost nothing to offer.

and i repeat myself, there's nothing here against canadians and their government. i'm sure you'll understand.