HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers popularity abroad

Old
08-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Olympic nut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Rangers popularity abroad

Another boredom-beating thread...

For all the guys who live, have lived, or know about hockey-loving nations outside of North America: how popular are the Rangers in your country? What other NHL teams have a big fanbase there?

I often feel like the Rangers aren't too popular in Finland, though I could be mistaken, because I'm usually there in the Summer.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 11:12 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
I'm pretty interested in this. I've only been to Canada so that doesn't really count.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 12:41 PM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
I live in the UK, so not exactly a 'hockey loving nation' - BUT there is a good following for hockey here, and those who follow it are pretty passionate about it! It breaks down into two camps I suppose - the ones who follow the local teams in the UK, and those who also follow NHL and other pro leagues. OR in my case - just follow the NHL, as I have little interest in British hockey.

So as for the Rangers - it seems to me that the Rangers are one of the more widely supported NHL teams in the UK. If you go to games over here - you'll always see some Rangers jerseys. On a popular British hockey forum, which has its own NHL forum, Rangers are one of the most supported teams there.

As well as the Rangers, I'd say that Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings are the two other most followed teams over here.

Also other Canadian teams are popular (you see a fair few Flames and Oilers fans), and a lot of NJ Devils fans as well (partly cos a British team - Cardiff Devils share the name, so I guess a lot of their fans picked them). Another reason for the popularity of certain teams is their location of course. East coast teams will be more popular in the UK, especially those from near or in NYC!

Anaheim (Mighty) Ducks are also still quite popular - that started with the films I think. So they are a popular choice I guess with a certain age group.

But - Rangers, Leafs and Red Wings - are the most popular teams over here I think.

Anyway, ask away if you want to know more from the perspective of a British Rangers fan

kickice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I was in the Dominican Republic a couple months back and saw atleast 4-5 people wearing Rangers jerseys. I wasnt aware there was much of a following down there but after asking a few people who I know from Puerto Rico, there is also a following down there to an extent. Its always cool to see sports like hockey followed in countrys where ice hockey is hard to come by.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Another boredom-beating thread...

For all the guys who live, have lived, or know about hockey-loving nations outside of North America: how popular are the Rangers in your country? What other NHL teams have a big fanbase there?

I often feel like the Rangers aren't too popular in Finland, though I could be mistaken, because I'm usually there in the Summer.
The rangers aren't really popular here in sweden, I've only met one who likes them besides me and that's my cousin hehe. People over here are avalanche, flyers and penguins fans *yuck* but I think rangers popularity is growing since swedes are bigtime homers and since Lundqvist is real successfull they're starting to come along.

I myself have been a blueshirts fan since I was eight (1990)

Entrancemperium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 01:50 PM
TheRedressor

My Aunt lives in the Czech Republic and let me tell you the RANGERS certainly have gained A LOT of popularity in the past 18 months or so.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Fletch

hockey jerseys...

in DR? Must've been the winter time. I once wore by Graves jersey down to Aruba and it lasted about five minutes down there.

PR has a lot of sports fans - they'll come and see the hockey game, once they get over the concept of ice in Puerto Rico.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Yeah DR, it was this past MAY lol. Belive me I was sweating just looking at them!!!! But I respect the love

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrancemperium View Post
The rangers aren't really popular here in sweden, I've only met one who likes them besides me and that's my cousin hehe. People over here are avalanche, flyers and penguins fans *yuck* but I think rangers popularity is growing since swedes are bigtime homers and since Lundqvist is real successfull they're starting to come along.

I myself have been a blueshirts fan since I was eight (1990)
Because of Jan Erixon?

He's my alltime favourite Swede. Him and Foppa (pre-Flyers).

Old
08-02-2006, 03:18 AM
Taz

Im from England, not too many supporters here, but the ones that do are pretty obsessed about it. I see the Odd Devil hat or Canuck or Redwing jersey in my town and of course RANGERS!

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Because of Jan Erixon?

He's my alltime favourite Swede. Him and Foppa (pre-Flyers).
Nope, for me it just felt right for some reason. And then when Messier arrived he became a bigtime role model for me.

Entrancemperium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Freddan

Popularity boosts when a popular player from the country signs for the team. Rangers were poplular back in the nineties when they won the cup but missing the playoffs for so long is not good. People without favorite teams tend to look at the "good" teams instead. Like Detroit, Colorado or later years Ottawa. Rangers are popular in sweden again because players like Nylander and Lundqvist play for you. And famous players like Jagr.

The teams we feel stronger for are the favorite team in our country. Like I feel as much for Frölunda Indians as you do for the Rangers. But I cheer for Rangers now cause they have Lundqvist. And If he stay there for long Rangers will get deeper and deeper in my heart.

Freddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 09:48 AM
NYRchick

The Rangers have always been one of the most supported NHL teams wherever you go.I think that's the case for every original six team.As far as the Rangers specifically,you see fans wearing the jersey in virtually every arena.Think back to 94 and how popular they were back then.That team was a huge reason for the rebound in NHL popularity.As the Rangers go,so goes the NHL,IMO

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 06:35 AM
Chimp

As have been said, Swedes are bigtime homers. Wherever there are skillful Swedes and possibly some other popular Europeans (and a few NA players), there are Swedish fans following that team.

I for example wouldn't follow Rangers near as much if it wasn't for Lundqvist and Nylander. I like Jagr, Kaspar and Straka as well from old days and I think Prucha is interesting to follow.

As it's for me, I look how it goes for Swedish players more than the teams. How's Sundin doing? Has Lidström scored any assists tonight? Is Forsberg healthy? Has Alfredsson scored (if I'm not up in the middle of the night listening to NHL radio and keeping track of scores live, which is most often)? Etc... But as it is for now, I follow Rangers more than any other NHL team... well... Rangers and Philly (don't kill me, it's just because of Forsberg, but he's out half the season now) IF Lundqvist would leave Rangers for any reason, don't expect me to keep rooting for Rangers, that's how shallow my team spirit is.

I cheer for Luleå in SEL for geographical reasons and that's about it.

Detroit is very popular in Sweden - a classical team with popular classical players AND Lidström, Zetterberg, Holmström, Kronwall, Samuelsson and Lilja is a BIG reason.
Rangers has been more popular before, but popularity is rising - mainly because of Lundqvist.
Vancouver is somewhat popular among some - Näslund, Sedins and Öhlund (and now Hedberg?)
Philly - Forsberg and some has it as a favourite team because of the old Legion of Doom with Lindros, Leclair and Renberg.
Toronto - Sundin.

And so on... you get the picture. People pick their team to cheer on mainly because their favourite player is there. Or because they were in town X on vacation when they were 14 years old or something.

Last edited by Chimp: 08-03-2006 at 06:41 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Bacchus

The most popular teams in Germany are the Sharks and Ducks, I believe.

Sharks is an obvious one - drafting a lot of german players in the past.
The Ducks basically have nothing to show exept for their logo but that does work. If you find some NHL stuff in a store, there is something from the Ducks for sure. To a lesser extend, that goes for the Sharks as well.

To sum it up, a lot of people who are not really interested in hockey know at least these two teams.

For the people who do know about hockey: Most are Sharks, Avalanche, Canadiens, Red Wings, Penguins or Rangers fans IMO, so basically the good or the traditional teams or the one with the german "pipe".

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 01:44 PM
shoothepuck

Most of the NHL T-shirts I've seen while traveling abroad are around military bases, and on family members of fans who send them from the states. One of my Italian cousins wanted a Texas Rangers T-shirt, so I sent him a NY Rangers one instead, and he wears it proudly.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 06:41 PM
yarre

I am a hockeywhore like the rest of the swedes, started following the Rangers when Lundqvist started playing there, was really fun to follow his progress last season, I am a big goalie-fan and I have always seen something special in Lundqvist so it was hard not to really jump on the train.

I can credit myself for one thing though, I went through my clothes a time ago and found a rangers t-shirt from like 1995 or something like that, not so bad

(Hard really to find a "favorite" team since I have never been able to watch NHL, this year I found a site to download games which was big for me)

I forgot to mention that I follow the Sharks a bit too, I used to have them as my favorite team before because of hockeycards I guess but then when Jonathan Cheechoo played for HV71 last season, which is the team that I follow, I started looking him up before he arrived, talked to some sharks-fan on some board, I eventually ended up here. I check up on the others (Malhotra mainly, but I keep track of A. Eriksson, Brian Boucher and McCabe, even though he sucked big time for us) as well but during that season (which was horrible for HV71-fans, Cheechoo was what we hoped for as a savior with two goals I think in his debut). This season will prove interesting, one of my favorite players from HV71 is coming to Islanders... Ohh the enemy!

Last edited by yarre: 08-03-2006 at 06:51 PM.
yarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:44 PM
pcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz View Post
The most popular teams in Germany are the Sharks and Ducks, I believe.

Sharks is an obvious one - drafting a lot of german players in the past.
The Ducks basically have nothing to show exept for their logo but that does work. If you find some NHL stuff in a store, there is something from the Ducks for sure. To a lesser extend, that goes for the Sharks as well.

To sum it up, a lot of people who are not really interested in hockey know at least these two teams.

For the people who do know about hockey: Most are Sharks, Avalanche, Canadiens, Red Wings, Penguins or Rangers fans IMO, so basically the good or the traditional teams or the one with the german "pipe".

The logo thing goes also for the Panthers (at least a while back when I was is grade 8 or 9, around 1994/5). That was the time when everyone over here wanted to wear a Starter jacket. Mostly NFL ones though (I still must have my Rangers one somewhere ... )

pcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcem View Post
The logo thing goes also for the Panthers (at least a while back when I was is grade 8 or 9, around 1994/5). That was the time when everyone over here wanted to wear a Starter jacket. Mostly NFL ones though (I still must have my Rangers one somewhere ... )
Cool Mike Gartner avatar!

Old
08-04-2006, 03:45 PM
pcem

Quote:
Cool Mike Gartner avatar!
thx. not too many good pictures out there

pcem is offline   Reply With Quote