HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lombardi is really looking good for the Flames.

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Oiltalk

vCash: 500
Lombardi is really looking good for the Flames.

Hat trick tonight. Looks like he fits in pretty well with that team.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:33 PM
outKast*

Wow, we really did find a gem when we drafted that kid didnt we? Too bad we didnt sign him. Oh well, I still like Stoll better. Stoll has been solid the past 2 games anyways so

Old
11-12-2003, 05:34 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
Wow, we really did find a gem when we drafted that kid didnt we? Too bad we didnt sign him. Oh well, I still like Stoll better. Stoll has been solid the past 2 games anyways so
Oh, I dunno about that. While I don't think either players are bad, Lombardi's pure talent is just too hard to ignore for me.

You know who Lombardi reminds me of, guys? Mike York when he was a rookie on the Rangers.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:41 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Oh, I dunno about that. While I don't think either players are bad, Lombardi's pure talent is just too hard to ignore for me.

You know who Lombardi reminds me of, guys? Mike York when he was a rookie on the Rangers.
It's just one of those things, the Oilers didn't want another smallish forward for what he wanted to sign for. Ditto for Stoll. It's not like they were traded for each other.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:43 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

The Oilers have a lot of young talent in their prospect pool. I donít really think we're lacking in that department. What we lack are character guys that could possibly be our future captain. You can't teach young players to take control of a whole locker room the way Jarret does. I would take Stoll any day for our organization. Other teams might want a talented guy like Lombardi...it's all about what you need. Don't take anything away from Stoll though. He's talented too. It may take him a long time to solidify himself as an integral part of the Oilers but he'll get there soon enough. I predict that Jarret Stoll will be our next captain after Jason Smith and Ryan Smyth.

It's like me asking you, would you rather have
Trevor Linden or Marius Czerkawski?

<sup>Miz, Iím not saying that Stoll will ever be as good as Linden cause he wont. I'm just saying that Stoll will be a leader like Linden.</sup>

Old
11-12-2003, 05:46 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
I predict that Jarret Stoll will be our next captain after Jason Smith and Ryan Smyth.
bah, :p chopper is getting the "C" after J.Smith

Old
11-12-2003, 05:50 PM
outKast*

nahhhh Smyth THEN Chooper or Stoll. That's still 4-5 years away sooo

Old
11-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Mizral

Oilflip,

I agree with you completely. I'm more thinking of the here and now I guess. You have to admit:

York/Lombardi/Reasoner/Horcoff

That would look pretty nice

Also, I've noticed that a team needs now can be a teams 'don't need any more of' after a year or two. While I agree that Stoll's character is certainly something the Oilers need more of (badly), you never know what can happen down the road.

Old
11-12-2003, 06:39 PM
dem

Why does everyone underrated Stolls offensive ability?? The guy could easily be a second line center in the future.

Old
11-12-2003, 06:41 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Why does everyone underrated Stolls offensive ability?? The guy could easily be a second line center in the future.
I think it's because he 'looks' like Dave Scatchard-like player, and people are inclined to put those kinds of players on the 3rd line no matter what.

For instance, John Madden was scoring like an all-star 1st liner in the playoffs last year, but Devils fans often scoffed those who suggested Madden was the Devils 1st line centre in the post-season.. when he clearly WAS.

Though, I must say that I'm not too sure on Stoll's offensive upside. He does seem more of a 30 - 40 point-scorer than a 50 - 60 guy to me. But what do I know

Old
11-12-2003, 07:03 PM
the-rasta-masta

Send a message via MSN to the-rasta-masta
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
bah, :p chopper is getting the "C" after J.Smith
Who is Chopper? That's Al MacInnis's nickname!

Old
11-12-2003, 07:24 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta
Who is Chopper? That's Al MacInnis's nickname!
There are probably a few 'choppers' in the league. But on this team Ethan Moreau has had that nick since he got here.

Old
11-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Walsher

What everyone has to remember is Dan Cleary would look like a star in Calgary! Put any NHL talent on that team and they will be shiny. Look at Conroy - a career fourth liner that is now the greatest player in the league accord to some Flames faithful. IMO a flash in the pan.

Old
11-12-2003, 08:39 PM
M00se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
What everyone has to remember is Dan Cleary would look like a star in Calgary! Put any NHL talent on that team and they will be shiny. Look at Conroy - a career fourth liner that is now the greatest player in the league accord to some Flames faithful. IMO a flash in the pan.
I don't know. Lombardi is a guy that I wish we could have signed. I'd love to have him and Stoll right now. And I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Miz, I sorta think he looks alot like Mike York as a rookie too. Kudos to Calgary.

And for the record I think that the order of who should be captain should be:
Smyth - he is the leader of this team
York - I've said it before and I'll say it again, he will be captain of this team some day
Staios - As long as it was sure that he was here long term, he would be a great Captain
Moreau - I truely believe that Lowe is grooming him to be captain.
Smith - I DON'T think he should be captain of this team

Old
11-12-2003, 09:33 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Can't you even compliment Calgary when they finally develop a guy right?

Lombardi has been one of the best developing jobs by the Flames in a while. I mean he comes outta the Q with a ton of offense and they send him to the A and he learns the defensive side (while still scoring of course) and now he's in the NHL and they have sat him once and it was perfect timing and he has repsonded appropriately.

Where was this with Rico Fata?

Old
11-12-2003, 09:46 PM
cal_guy

Quote:
Really who doesn't overrate there teams players. But this is the first time Calgary seen this type of talent and skill from such a young kid in a long of time. And hey getting 30 points from the fourth line isn't too bad either.
P.S Cleary is crap can't believe you guys put up with him for so long.

Old
11-12-2003, 10:49 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_guy
P.S Cleary is crap can't believe you guys put up with him for so long.
Us either Thank Freaking God he is Gonz0~!

Old
11-13-2003, 09:10 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
The Oilers didn't sign Lombardi because he had a terrible work ethic when they had his rights, and he wanted a lot more money than the Oilers were prepared to pay.

He said in an interview that when he was dropped and had to re-enter the draft, it was a kick in the ass for him, and that he knew he had to change.

I really don't think he would have amounted to much with the Oilers, simply because I don't think he would have gotten that wakeup call in time for him to change his ways.

Kudos to the Flames for getting him, but if he was still an Oiler, I doubt he would be making an impact here, or even in Toronto.

Old
11-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Master Lok

Reminds me of Marty Reasoner when he was waived through last year and not a single team was interested...

Old
11-13-2003, 04:26 PM
GorillazXL

I watched Lombardi play at the memorial cup when Victoriaville made it to the final four, I had alot of high hopes cos at the time he was still an oilers pick, but to be quite honest he didn't look all that great (mind you that was years ago) ... I felt that he was more of a parameter player. That year Colaiacovo was the stand out. When the Oilers basically swapped picks and got Stoll, I thought, what a steal, and I still feel that way. In our system and with the prospect we have in the horizon I think Stoll will bring more in the mix. He's your steady forward who is defensively sound, great leadership attitude (something thats gonna be needed since we have so many young players) and he's able to provide offensive numbers. His skating will not be a problem at the NHL level, he's made strides (no pun intended) since the draft with his skating. All things considered Stoll is a better fit in our system then another smallish centre who doesn't play well in heavy traffic.

GXL

Closed Thread