HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Best and Worst Rivalry?

Old
08-03-2006, 01:48 AM
crashlanding

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Okay, I've just read a few and now I see a reason to speak of a "poor rivalry". You just said it... when their should be a rivalry, like the above, but always one team is good while the other is bad.
I think that one is much more of a fan rivalry than a team one. I'd like to say NJ-NYR was better but the playoff series did little to create more bad blood and even though the season series was tied NY dominated the first half while NJ dominated the second half.

I still think it's the #1 rivalry for NJ fans, because NYR fans have invaded our arena since day 1 and pissed us off. However, NYR fans still see NYI as their main rival.

Philadelphia-NJ is probably one of the most consistent rivalries over the last five or six seasons. How many other divisions have had two teams trade division titles over the last ten years with standings this close:

1996-1997 NJ 104 Phi 103
1997-1998 NJ 107 Phi 95
1998-1999 NJ 105 Phi 93
1999-2000 Phi 105 NJ 103 (NJ 3-1 comeback in ECF)
2000-2001 NJ 111 Phi 100
2001-2002 Phi 97 NYI 96 NJ 95
2002-2003 NJ 108 Phi 107
2003-2004 Phi 101 NJ 100 (Philly beats NJ in 1st round in 5)
2005-2006 NJ 101 Phi 101 (NJ wins tie-breaker)

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 02:48 AM
Miko

Calgary /Edmonton here in Alberta.Gbeav basically said it. Its more of a rivalary between the cities.

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 10:01 PM
CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
While it's true the Flames have much, much more in common with a franchise like the Canucks as opposed to a winning franchise like the Oilers...
And the Flames and Canucks fans simply cannot match the arrogance of the Oiler fans. I agree with you.

CF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Radomon

Best:

Toronto vs. Ottawa

Worst:

Ottawa vs. Montreal - who gives a ****

Radomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 10:10 PM
krudmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbeav View Post
Yes that is what we all want, MORE games against teams in our own divisions.
I meant it as opposed to the eight-games-a-year plan.

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
This is a made-up rivalry.
Agreed all hype.

I dont get the Ottawa/Toronto sucks comments. Who cares if you dont like it? Who cares if the Sens have lost 4 times and conversely who cares if the sens owned them last season. Bottom line there arent any other rivalries where there is as much animosity between players/fans/media/politicians/management/coaches etc... Its not quite at the level it once was and the loss of Quinn and Domi will surely reduce the animosity but this will pick up again with a playoff worthy leafs team. Tucker, Gill (seems to have beef with sens/Neil), Belak, McCabe etc.. are still around this will still be going.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:16 AM
OvechkinDomination*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
Agreed all hype.

I dont get the Ottawa/Toronto sucks comments. Who cares if you dont like it? Who cares if the Sens have lost 4 times and conversely who cares if the sens owned them last season. Bottom line there arent any other rivalries where there is as much animosity between players/fans/media/politicians/management/coaches etc... Its not quite at the level it once was and the loss of Quinn and Domi will surely reduce the animosity but this will pick up again with a playoff worthy leafs team. Tucker, Gill (seems to have beef with sens/Neil), Belak, McCabe etc.. are still around this will still be going.
So true, it's a great rivarly.

The rivarly will be weird the first game in October since both head coaches and both number 1 goaltenders from the last series we played are gone, Tie Domi won't be there and same with giant Chara.

But like you said, the rivarly will pick up again with guys like Tucker, Neil, Belak, McCabe, Alfredsson still in the mix. Can't wait.

OvechkinDomination* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:27 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I like Toronto-Ottawa games as well.

There's playoff history, there's a regional rivalry, and in Ottawa there are a lot of Leaf fans around so everyone has some personal stake in the matter with a friend or two.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:21 AM
I hate Jon Sim

The best is Wings-Avs because it's always a good game and both teams despise each other

the worst is Hawks-Wings-Hawks use to be good but Wings toy with Hawks like a cat with a ball of yarn now

I hate Jon Sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:21 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownMadman View Post
It's actually heating up. There have been some decent scrums in the recent past (and when else does Detroit fight?), plus with the playoff series there is added tension. Nashville are the up and comers in the Central and want to show that they are the future top of the division. They also play the Wings very well with the season series being split fairly even the past few years. Not a great rivalry yet, though, and certainly not Wings/ Lanche from the late 90's.

I'll also go with octopi that the Wings rivalry with the Blues is pretty lukewarm. In the past the players have seemed to pick up their games, but I don't think the fans ever really got into it. I remember watching a game between the Wings and Blues before the lock out and the fans reacted no differently than the Florida fans when I watched the Wings play the Panthers this year. Blues fans, you need to be more loud and rude!

Of course a DET fan is going to feel that way, but Blues fans despised the Wings for a solid 10 year stretch when Yzerman and Co. ripped our hearts out seemingly every year. So the games in St. Louis always had more tension. I'll never forget in
'98 when we got blown out at home in game 6 at the hands of Detroit to lose the series, and about 6 separate fight broke out in the upperdeck in the 3rd period. More fights in one game that I could ever recall. Even against Chicago at the Arena...

...which leads me to the Hawks and the Blues. They always were and will always be rivals, but from the mid-80's and peaking in the early 90's (the Belfour game when he loses it), this was the most tense rivalry this side of the border. The teams hated each other, but the fans hated each other more. Chicago Stadium and the Arena were probably the two loudest barns in hockey. It's a close drive, so there were a lot of fans from both teams in enemy territory. Especially hawks fans at the Barn. Fights in the stands literally every game. That was a classic rivalry. I miss those days. What has happened to the Hawks? Shame, shame, shame.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:35 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

as a Sens fan obviously I love the Ottawa-Toronto rivalry, but I love how people disgard because Ottawa has come up short when it comes to beating them. Sometimes its actually WATCHING the games, not only the outcome, and seeing heated battles.

Im surprised no one has mentioned Philly-Toronto, maybe people dont see it as a huge rivalry, but I do. I get the feeling both fans and both teams hate each other as well, and even though Philly has beaten them, its still a great game to watch, especially playoffs.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:00 PM
True_Canadiens

Best : Montreal-Boston / Montreal/Nords (Best of all time)

True_Canadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Any rivalry with the Wings tends to be uglier thanks to expat Wings fans.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:08 PM
KaptainKourage*

I like games against Bruins, Leafs, Flyers and Sens.. I dont consider Habs-Flyers or Habs-Sens rivalry though

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:22 PM
OvechkinDomination*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
as a Sens fan obviously I love the Ottawa-Toronto rivalry, but I love how people disgard because Ottawa has come up short when it comes to beating them. Sometimes its actually WATCHING the games, not only the outcome, and seeing heated battles.

Im surprised no one has mentioned Philly-Toronto, maybe people dont see it as a huge rivalry, but I do. I get the feeling both fans and both teams hate each other as well, and even though Philly has beaten them, its still a great game to watch, especially playoffs.
That was a great rivarly 2-3 years ago but not now. Quinn is gone now, both Domi and Brashear who got into a couple nice fights a couple years ago are both gone from the teams and Roenick who had a rivarly with Tucker is now playing in Phoenix.

With Domi, Brashear and Roenick gone, it's not a rivarly anymore IMO.

OvechkinDomination* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:27 PM
MotownMadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Of course a DET fan is going to feel that way, but Blues fans despised the Wings for a solid 10 year stretch when Yzerman and Co. ripped our hearts out seemingly every year. So the games in St. Louis always had more tension. I'll never forget in
'98 when we got blown out at home in game 6 at the hands of Detroit to lose the series, and about 6 separate fight broke out in the upperdeck in the 3rd period. More fights in one game that I could ever recall. Even against Chicago at the Arena...
I was basing my assessment on the games between the teams and attending a Wings/Blues game in St. Louis in 2004. I attended about 5 games in St Louis that year and the fans at the game against the Wings didn't seem much more agitated/ excited than when the Blues played the Lightening or the Predators.

Compared to seeing the Wings play the Hawks (last time was 2001 in Chicago). There were a lot of Wings fans there as well and, granted the actual game wasn't that exciting, there was lots of yelling between fans, chants of "Red Wings Suck!", etc. It was a fantastic atmosphere and indicative of how deep the Wings/ Hawks rivalry is.

MotownMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:38 PM
hrd2imagin

Pens/Flyers is #1.

After the Pens broke the Spectrum Spell, it's been pure hate from both sides.

Who can forget the '89 playoffs when Ron Hextall chased down Rob Brown after the Pens dumped in their 6th goal?? All the way up to today with that woman Derian Hatcher trying to prove how tough he is to Crosby, then Crosby goes and scores the game winner on a breakaway. Beautiful...

Watch for Pittsburgh/Atlanta to heat up this year...

hrd2imagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:53 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownMadman View Post
I was basing my assessment on the games between the teams and attending a Wings/Blues game in St. Louis in 2004. I attended about 5 games in St Louis that year and the fans at the game against the Wings didn't seem much more agitated/ excited than when the Blues played the Lightening or the Predators.

Compared to seeing the Wings play the Hawks (last time was 2001 in Chicago). There were a lot of Wings fans there as well and, granted the actual game wasn't that exciting, there was lots of yelling between fans, chants of "Red Wings Suck!", etc. It was a fantastic atmosphere and indicative of how deep the Wings/ Hawks rivalry is.
Well 2004 was the tail end of the rivalry and the Blues stunk that year (that year was a brutal year after watching MacInnis and Jackman go down, and seeing our window close after we had 3 legit contending teams so fans were very disgruntled) but during the peak of the rivalry ('96-'02), there was always a great atmosphere with tension in the stands b/c of the ungodly number of wings fans.

We'll see how many Wings fans show up once the team starts going downhill. Its funny that during the 70s and 80s at the Arena Detroit fans were non-existent. Even in the early 90's. Then they started winning and all these "fans" come out of nowhere. It will be interesting to see how many Detroit fans show up in STL in the next 2-3 years.

Last edited by TheOrganist: 08-04-2006 at 12:59 PM.
TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedaeagle20 View Post
Now only if they'd met in the playoffs...damn Calgary, can't come through. HAHAHAHA.
Ya, if the Flames showed up in game 7 vs the Ducks and won, this thread would be unanimous. It would be all about the Battle of Alberta.

The only reason the Nucks and Flames are talking about their rivalry is because the Flames beat the Nucks in a close game 7 a few years ago. Before that, no-one was talking about that rivalry. Its amazing how 1 series can spawn that much hatred.

The thread starter calling the BOA a fake rivalry shows he has no clue what he's talking about. If you could have felt the anticipation, and the huge letdown around here when the BOA almost took place in round 2 this past spring, you'd understand.

I wore my Oilers jersey to one of the Flames - Ducks playoff games here. I got booed by thousands (2 full sections flanking me booed loudly as I walked to my seat - each and every time), yelled at constantly, heckled, denied access to my section (jokingly), told to get out of the beer line...

Fake rivalry? Right. Flames and Oliers will always be a rivalry.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:19 PM
NassauIsles82*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Ya, if the Flames showed up in game 7 vs the Ducks and won, this thread would be unanimous. It would be all about the Battle of Alberta.

The only reason the Nucks and Flames are talking about their rivalry is because the Flames beat the Nucks in a close game 7 a few years ago. Before that, no-one was talking about that rivalry. Its amazing how 1 series can spawn that much hatred.

The thread starter calling the BOA a fake rivalry shows he has no clue what he's talking about. If you could have felt the anticipation, and the huge letdown around here when the BOA almost took place in round 2 this past spring, you'd understand.

I wore my Oilers jersey to one of the Flames - Ducks playoff games here. I got booed by thousands (2 full sections flanking me booed loudly as I walked to my seat - each and every time), yelled at constantly, heckled, denied access to my section (jokingly), told to get out of the beer line...

Fake rivalry? Right. Flames and Oliers will always be a rivalry.
BOA is a forced rivalry, no real hatred.

NassauIsles82* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:23 PM
philthy mcnasty*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binos View Post
LoL. Coming from an Isles fan.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:37 PM
se7en*

Yeah, but consider the source. Did you expect anything that wasn't totally clueless?

Anyways, go to calgarypuck and see how much hatred there is. I admit it's a little one-sided because on Calgary's side of the fence, it's total bloodlust. They hate the Oilers more than they love the Flames. Whereas Oiler fans are merely disdainful, and indifferent.

But there's still bad blood.

se7en* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:40 PM
19nazzy

Vancouver wise I like Vancouver/Colorado and dislike Vancouver/Minnesota

08-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binos View Post
And you are basing that on what? The voices in your head? Do you realize how silly you appear?

You've already stated that you have a deep rooted hatred of the Oilers since they stopped your team's dynasty attempt 20-some years ago. You started a thread saying how the Oiler fans are overrated and now you say the Oilers rivalry with the Flames is forced and fake?

You dont like the Oilers. We get it.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 05:44 PM
CF

Quote:
The only reason the Nucks and Flames are talking about their rivalry is because the Flames beat the Nucks in a close game 7 a few years ago. Before that, no-one was talking about that rivalry. Its amazing how 1 series can spawn that much hatred
94? 88?

CF is offline   Reply With Quote