HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General discussion about Kings broadcasters (radio and television)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-02-2006, 10:29 AM
  #1
TubbyTerrion*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Studio City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,974
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
General discussion about Kings broadcasters (radio and television)

Having the Center Ice and XM Radio packages gives me ample chance to hear virtually all 30 teams radio and television people, and honestly, the Kings rank pretty high in this area. Something to be proud of for fans starved for something to be proud of.

My $.02 may not be considered relevant by the staff since after 30 years of following the Kings, I spent the playoffs actively rooting for the Ducks, but here goes anyway:

BOB MILLER: We think he's the best because we live here and have grown so accustomed to his style. He actually is close to the best and has been recognized by his peers as an "elite" broadcaster. Hasn't missed a beat as he advances in age, and should be around for another chunk of mediocrity. It really would be a treat to see him call games for a winning team. His long awaited book should see the light of day this fall.

JIM FOX: Thre is no doubt he's respected in broadcasting circles as NHL Radio has used him as a color man in various playoff scenarios. Personally, that sing-songy delivery makes me crazy, but serves as a great cue for Bob Miller to know when he's got to come back in and describe the action.

NICK NICKSON: Coming out of top 40 radio in the 70's, Nickson has a high energy delivery that is generally a step behind the play, but is meticulous in detail. Has made the transition from TV color to radio play by play and understands the difference between the two. Radio demands a bit more detail, and Nickson delivers. His inability to note the difference between the pronounciation of Pavel and Pavol drove me nuts last season, and fortunately it won't drive me nuts 82 times this season. Unfortunately, for the Kings, from a scoring standpoint, you had hoped it would.

DARRYL EVANS: It's those Hummer commercials... "and God bless ya..." There's a creepy religious overtone in there, and even though Darryl is a likeable guy with reasonable knowledge, between the suspenders and the God thing, I pray for a new radio color guy at every turn.


Last edited by David A. Rainer: 08-02-2006 at 10:36 AM.
TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:41 AM
  #2
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Bob Miller: I like the guy and can't really think of anything negative to say about him.

Jim Fox: I hate the way that his voice goes up and down when he talks.....kind of reminds me of some of those late night news anchors.....it just doesn't sound like he is speaking naturally....very forced. . Also that "Chester the Molester" stare has to go. I think we need someone with more personality. As I noted in the lost thread.

Nick Nickson and Darryl Evans: I didn't use to have a problem with these guys......not great but not bad. But last year they just annoyed me no end by defending the Murray regime when it was obvious to everyone that there were serious problems. They (Nick and Darryl) even went so far as to make it sound like the naysayers had no idea what they were talking about. These guys are just puppets for "The Man" and I have no more respect for either of them and would be very happy if both of them were gone very soon.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:55 AM
  #3
guzmania
Registered User
 
guzmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SCV
Country: United States
Posts: 2,492
vCash: 500
I listen to very few other teams radio guys. The national TV anouncers are only equal to or slightly worse than Bob and Jim. Miller is my favorite announcer-all-time.

The radio guys I've heard like, the Sharks several years ago and the Yotes were attrocious. Next to unlistenable. Be careful what you wish for is my moto.

Of all that I have heard the only guy I feel like strangling about 5 times a period is Hayward, the pompous twit. Too much hard rubber musta' bounced offa' that noggin.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:59 AM
  #4
piston
Registered User
 
piston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Denmark
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to piston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Bob Miller: I like the guy and can't really think of anything negative to say about him.

Jim Fox: I hate the way that his voice goes up and down when he talks.....kind of reminds me of some of those late night news anchors.....it just doesn't sound like he is speaking naturally....very forced. . Also that "Chester the Molester" stare has to go. I think we need someone with more personality. As I noted in the lost thread.

Nick Nickson and Darryl Evans: I didn't use to have a problem with these guys......not great but not bad. But last year they just annoyed me no end by defending the Murray regime when it was obvious to everyone that there were serious problems. They (Nick and Darryl) even went so far as to make it sound like the naysayers had no idea what they were talking about. These guys are just puppets for "The Man" and I have no more respect for either of them and would be very happy if both of them were gone very soon.

The radio team is hired by the Kings whereas the TV guys work for and are paid by Fox (with the Kings having input). Not surprising that Miller and Fox jumped off the badnwagon far earlier last season.

piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 11:12 AM
  #5
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
The radio team is hired by the Kings whereas the TV guys work for and are paid by Fox (with the Kings having input). Not surprising that Miller and Fox jumped off the badnwagon far earlier last season.
Well they could just say "No comment" instead of making themselves look stupid by trying to defend how being 25th in the league in powerplays and penalty killing is not really a bad thing. They just seemed like some of the simple-minded posters on HF who say their team is the best when all of the evidence points to the contrary. They have no credibility in my book.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:07 PM
  #6
tomd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
the relative merits of their broadcasting skills aside, it is very impressive that the four individuals being discussed are the only voices most Kings fans have ever heard. How many fans can remember the names (let alone the voices) of past announcers/play-by-play personalities such as Pete Weber, Ron Oakes, or Rich Marotta? Or, going back WAY back...Roy Storey and Dan Avey. The Storey/Avey combo was always exciting to listen to even though the kings lost the majority of the games they called

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:25 PM
  #7
Matt13
Registered User
 
Matt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: I'm on a boat MF!
Country: United States
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
I happen to like Foxy.

Have you heard Hayward? The guy is very monotone and dull to listen to.

While Jim may be a bit of a geek, he still puts a lot more energy into his broadcast than most others I have heard.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:49 PM
  #8
David A. Rainer
Registered User
 
David A. Rainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Huntington Beach
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,293
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Grass is always greener...

__________________
Saxon Sports Information and Research
David A. Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:56 PM
  #9
Matt13
Registered User
 
Matt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: I'm on a boat MF!
Country: United States
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Well they could just say "No comment" instead of making themselves look stupid by trying to defend how being 25th in the league in powerplays and penalty killing is not really a bad thing. They just seemed like some of the simple-minded posters on HF who say their team is the best when all of the evidence points to the contrary. They have no credibility in my book.

LMAO

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 01:26 PM
  #10
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
LMAO

Exactly. How many other team's guy's have credibitly then? Zero.

__________________
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain
Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 01:31 PM
  #11
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Exactly. How many other team's guy's have credibitly then? Zero.
May be true....but I just choose not to listen to them......so I couldn't care less if they stay or go....I just won't listen unless the Kings get somebody else.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 01:33 PM
  #12
Matt13
Registered User
 
Matt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: I'm on a boat MF!
Country: United States
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
"Simple minded posters" at HF have nothing to lose.

On the other hand if Fox and Miller were always coming down on players, the Kings would have to take action against them like denying Fox an interview with the player or access to them.

It's not Fox nor Millers place to chastize a team. It is to entertain the people watching.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 01:41 PM
  #13
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
"Simple minded posters" at HF have nothing to lose.

On the other hand if Fox and Miller were always coming down on players, the Kings would have to take action against them like denying Fox an interview with the player or access to them.

It's not Fox nor Millers place to chastize a team. It is to entertain the people watching.
There is a difference in "chastizing" the team and not acting like everything is perfect when all indicators say otherwise. I just remember specifically "Kings Talk" where everyone calling in was saying the Kings special teams stunk and it was mainly a coaching issue. Nickson and Evans said that coaching had little to nothing to do with this team's problems and that those who said so didn't know what they were talking about......then a couple weeks after that Murray was fired and a couple months after that so were everyong else.

So apparently all of those people who said that coaching was one of the major problems with this team were right......and Nickson and Evans proved that their heads are so far up management's rears that it impossible to get an objective opinion from either of them.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 01:44 PM
  #14
Matt13
Registered User
 
Matt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: I'm on a boat MF!
Country: United States
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
There is a difference in "chastizing" the team and not acting like everything is perfect when all indicators say otherwise. I just remember specifically "Kings Talk" where everyone calling in was saying the Kings special teams stunk and it was mainly a coaching issue. Nickson and Evans said that coaching had little to nothing to do with this team's problems and that those who said so didn't know what they were talking about......then a couple weeks after that Murray was fired and a couple months after that so were everyong else.

So apparently all of those people who said that coaching was one of the major problems with this team were right......and Nickson and Evans proved that their heads are so far up management's rears that it impossible to get an objective opinion from either of them.


I'm not quite sure what that has to do with Fox and Miller.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 02:14 PM
  #15
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 34,957
vCash: 500
You do realize the team is still going to try to sell tickets right? If the bosses tell you not to bash the organization, are you going to come out and rip into them in public? C'mon now, let's remember that they are running a professional organization and a business. The results on the ice is up to the players and the coaches and hockey executives. Bob and Jim and any other broadcaster have their job to do, and that is call the action. It's not like they are praising this team when they are playing like crap.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 02:28 PM
  #16
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.
 
Beauty, eh?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
I couldn't be any happier with our TV and Radio teams.....I've heard a lot of other team's guys and I always think to myself how lucky we are to have the guys we have.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 02:28 PM
  #17
Old Hickory
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
You do realize the team is still going to try to sell tickets right? If the bosses tell you not to bash the organization, are you going to come out and rip into them in public? C'mon now, let's remember that they are running a professional organization and a business. The results on the ice is up to the players and the coaches and hockey executives. Bob and Jim and any other broadcaster have their job to do, and that is call the action. It's not like they are praising this team when they are playing like crap.
Logic has no place in discussions here

  Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 02:31 PM
  #18
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,396
vCash: 500
Awards:
I don't like Fox, but I don't really like many of the color guys out there. Garry Galley's a good one, and so is Brian Engblom. When I said Engblom, I just showed everyone that I watch the Blue Jackets a lot.


Last edited by Live in the Now: 08-02-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 02:42 PM
  #19
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
I'm not quite sure what that has to do with Fox and Miller.
Well my rant wasn't about them (Bob and Jim).......It was more about Nickson and Evans. If Bob and Jim were as close minded as Nick and Darryl.....I would refuse to watch them.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 02:45 PM
  #20
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
You do realize the team is still going to try to sell tickets right? If the bosses tell you not to bash the organization, are you going to come out and rip into them in public? C'mon now, let's remember that they are running a professional organization and a business. The results on the ice is up to the players and the coaches and hockey executives. Bob and Jim and any other broadcaster have their job to do, and that is call the action. It's not like they are praising this team when they are playing like crap.
Like I said before there is a difference between ripping the team and making it like the fans don'e know what they are talking about. If you are going to have a public forum like "Kings Talk" where people call in with questions and comments you need to be a bit more objective than......well it's not their fault.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 03:25 PM
  #21
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,610
vCash: 500
Fox is very fair and while he does say homerish things and focuses on the good, that's his job. He's supposed to, you know, add color commentary. I don't know how you can expect an unbiased color commentator.

Unless you want a play analyst... but if you thought it would be hard to sell hockey to casual fans before... just wait till they have the chance to sink their teeth into the very fun completely objective point of view x 2 .

Nick and Darryl aren't bad, either. I mean, for God's sake, listening to hockey can be boring enough as it is when you want to see it. Now you want them to do it without personality, and just say "no comment" when the team sucks? I'd hate for your 3 year-old to show you his/her first picture.

"What do you think, daddy?"
"... No comment."

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 03:50 PM
  #22
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Nick and Darryl aren't bad, either. I mean, for God's sake, listening to hockey can be boring enough as it is when you want to see it. Now you want them to do it without personality, and just say "no comment" when the team sucks? I'd hate for your 3 year-old to show you his/her first picture.

"What do you think, daddy?"
"... No comment."
Hey you need to let them know young that this is the real world......you can't always get Kudo's for average or below average performance.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 04:01 PM
  #23
CBGB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 802
vCash: 500
Anything and I mean ANYTHING was better than listening to Cammy Granato - I wanted to pull my own teeth out with a pair of plyers!

I will always love Foxy for calling out Bryan Murray during the Ottawa game.

I will always love Bob Miller for blowing up on the air after the Kings got smoked 5-0 at home at the hands of Colorado.

Nick Nickson makes me laugh every time some idiot during the post game show asks "How are you guys doing tonight" which is always responded to with a monotone "good" - The fact that he has to listen to Ian from West Hills and Marc from Studio City every game...

I don't know if this is a good thing, 'cause I can't understand what he's saying half the time, but Luc is going to be on the air this year as well.

How about Marty McSorley on Fox? Good or bad? I hear he's been looking around at a color job but nobody is hiring. Guess he doesn't like the 600 bucks a show he's making now.

Tubby, whom else do you like? I loved that guy in Pittsburgh, but didn't they just fire him?

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 04:10 PM
  #24
ILuvLA
Registered User
 
ILuvLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lost in LA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBGB View Post
I don't know if this is a good thing, 'cause I can't understand what he's saying half the time, but Luc is going to be on the air this year as well.
Have you heard what Luc will be doing, i.e, color or other game analyst or a la McSorely between periods on Fox?

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 05:30 PM
  #25
Fripp
Registered User
 
Fripp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 1,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I don't like Fox, but I don't really like many of the color guys out there. Garry Galley's a good one, and so is Brian Engblom. When I said Engblom, I just showed everyone that I watch the Blue Jackets a lot.
Yah, I like Engblom as well. Chicken Parm is one of my favorites too. Not necessarily his tone of voice, but he's usually far more analytical than the average color guy. Unlistenable homerism: colorado and TB guys.


Last edited by Fripp: 08-02-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.