HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

IceCats at Hartford Nov. 12

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2003, 06:46 PM
execwrite

vCash: 500
IceCats at Hartford Nov. 12

Went to the game tonite. IceCats won 4-3. Some thoughts --

1) Blues fans - there is a lot of NHL-potential talent in Worcester. The future looks bright.

2) Jay McClement and Trevor Byrne are excellent prospects. McClement made a great cross ice pass and also made a length-of-the-ice rush in the last 40 seconds that helped clinch the win. Byrne sprawled on the ice and extended his stick to break up a cross-ice pass that would have been a tap-in goal.

3) Reinhard Divis played a GREAT game in goal. Divis was TERRIBLE handling the puck. They better chain him to the crossbar. He turned over almost every pass he made and the first goal was his fault alone. Two Hartford players were bearing down on one IceCat d-man and Divis tried to get an icing whistle instead of clearing the puck into the corner. Stupid play.

4) The IceCats dressed McLaren and Yablonski both and it helped win the game. Hartford's tough guy Scott tangled with Yablonski and Scott nodded yes like he wanted to fight. Yablonski dropped his gloves but Scott didn't and Yablonski got two minutes. Cowardly play by Scott. Scott got a ticky-tack penalty later for bumping Divis and the Cats scored on the PP. Right after that McLaren pummeled Scott in a good fight. That was the end of the cheap shots by Hartford.

5) Jame Pollock is an amazing talented dude. He scored one goal when he did a pivot at the blueline, faked his man out of his skates, fired a wrist shot at the net, and then followed his own shot and scored on the rebound.

6) Mike Glumac is a good-looking prospect. He's real strong on the puck, a good checker and has a super offensive touch. He's gonna get a shot in the NHL. Very impressed also by Blake Evans. He skated up and down his wing, threw some good body checks and scored a goal on a good slap shot through the five hole.

7) Granato didn't dress McKenzie or Black. He played three lines and went with veterans where he could. Guess he really wanted to win this one. Wasn't impressed by Jon Coleman. He had a poor game.

8) Johnny Pohl got bumped from centre to right wing. He had a couple of scoring chances but he's going to have to impress Granato in order to get more quality ice time.

Once the IceCats get their act together and stop having players called to St. Louis they could be a very good team this year.

Old
11-12-2003, 08:23 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite
Went to the game tonite. IceCats won 4-3. Some thoughts --

1) Blues fans - there is a lot of NHL-potential talent in Worcester. The future looks bright.

2) Jay McClement and Trevor Byrne are excellent prospects. McClement made a great cross ice pass and also made a length-of-the-ice rush in the last 40 seconds that helped clinch the win. Byrne sprawled on the ice and extended his stick to break up a cross-ice pass that would have been a tap-in goal.

3) Reinhard Divis played a GREAT game in goal. Divis was TERRIBLE handling the puck. They better chain him to the crossbar. He turned over almost every pass he made and the first goal was his fault alone. Two Hartford players were bearing down on one IceCat d-man and Divis tried to get an icing whistle instead of clearing the puck into the corner. Stupid play.

4) The IceCats dressed McLaren and Yablonski both and it helped win the game. Hartford's tough guy Scott tangled with Yablonski and Scott nodded yes like he wanted to fight. Yablonski dropped his gloves but Scott didn't and Yablonski got two minutes. Cowardly play by Scott. Scott got a ticky-tack penalty later for bumping Divis and the Cats scored on the PP. Right after that McLaren pummeled Scott in a good fight. That was the end of the cheap shots by Hartford.

5) Jame Pollock is an amazing talented dude. He scored one goal when he did a pivot at the blueline, faked his man out of his skates, fired a wrist shot at the net, and then followed his own shot and scored on the rebound.

6) Mike Glumac is a good-looking prospect. He's real strong on the puck, a good checker and has a super offensive touch. He's gonna get a shot in the NHL. Very impressed also by Blake Evans. He skated up and down his wing, threw some good body checks and scored a goal on a good slap shot through the five hole.

7) Granato didn't dress McKenzie or Black. He played three lines and went with veterans where he could. Guess he really wanted to win this one. Wasn't impressed by Jon Coleman. He had a poor game.

8) Johnny Pohl got bumped from centre to right wing. He had a couple of scoring chances but he's going to have to impress Granato in order to get more quality ice time.

Once the IceCats get their act together and stop having players called to St. Louis they could be a very good team this year.
Good reports, are you reffering to Richard Scott as the Wolf Pack goon? He is fairly tough and I am suprised that he would pull the fake glove drop BS. Glad to see that McLaren kicked his ass.

Glumac was my suprise of the training camp scrimmages good to see him playing well for the Cats.

Also good to see Divis play well sans puck handling. What are Pohl weaknesses?

Old
11-12-2003, 08:28 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Good reports, are you reffering to Richard Scott as the Wolf Pack goon? He is fairly tough and I am suprised that he would pull the fake glove drop BS. Glad to see that McLaren kicked his ass.

Glumac was my suprise of the training camp scrimmages good to see him playing well for the Cats.

Also good to see Divis play well sans puck handling. What are Pohl weaknesses?
Yes, it was Richard Scott.

Panzer, Martins and McClement got all the time at center ice. Guess that's why Pohl got pushed to the wing. Maybe they want Pohl to concentrate more on checking and less on playmaking to round out his game. He seemed to struggle defensively in his one game in St. Louis.

Old
11-13-2003, 07:38 AM
stlbluz

vCash:
Thanks for the quality update! Keep 'em coming.

Old
11-13-2003, 08:17 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite
Yes, it was Richard Scott.

Panzer, Martins and McClement got all the time at center ice. Guess that's why Pohl got pushed to the wing. Maybe they want Pohl to concentrate more on checking and less on playmaking to round out his game. He seemed to struggle defensively in his one game in St. Louis.
I think Pohl getting moved has more to do w/ him being ready to play in the NHL then training in the defensive zone. Lets face it the Blues are set down the middle at this point, but lack scoring on the wings. This may be a crash course for Johny ment to help him get his aclimated w/ the position.

Old
11-13-2003, 01:34 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
I think Pohl getting moved has more to do w/ him being ready to play in the NHL then training in the defensive zone. Lets face it the Blues are set down the middle at this point, but lack scoring on the wings. This may be a crash course for Johny ment to help him get his aclimated w/ the position.
That's a very good point. Demitra, Weight, Cajanek and McClement have center ice covered for the next few years. We'll have to watch and see if Pohl is being converted permanently to RW. That may be a good switch for him and the Blues.

Old
11-15-2003, 03:37 AM

I didn't want to reply until I'd heard back from a couple of my minions

Both said this was Coleman's worst game of the year so I hope execwrite gets to see him again when he's playing his "normal" game.

You saw Pollock in his best game of the season. There's a reason he's been a healthy scratch for a few games this year...I hope that game busts him out of his slump because prior to Wed night his play was just terrible.

Old
11-15-2003, 03:48 AM
purple_heart

Execwrite and 210,

Thanks for the continued updates and for being on target. Being distant, I don't get to see the Cats often so I rely on guys you you to keep me informed. Great job.

Nice to hear Byrne and McClement are doing well. I think you are right on target as they will both be moving up the chart and could see some time in St. Louis next season. I thought Byrne would end up being the best of the young defensive prospects so it's good to see him playing well.

Any update on Hemingway? Is he hurt or a scratch?

Old
11-15-2003, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_heart
Execwrite and 210,

Thanks for the continued updates and for being on target. Being distant, I don't get to see the Cats often so I rely on guys you you to keep me informed. Great job.

Nice to hear Byrne and McClement are doing well. I think you are right on target as they will both be moving up the chart and could see some time in St. Louis next season. I thought Byrne would end up being the best of the young defensive prospects so it's good to see him playing well.

Any update on Hemingway? Is he hurt or a scratch?
Hemingway has been ill lately. I posted in another thread all the Cats injuries.

I think it way too early to be penciling in anyone with the Blues for next season yet. I'm not saying they won't be ready, just showing some caution

Old
11-15-2003, 05:48 AM
execwrite

Agree that it's tough to say who will get a chance in St. Louis next year. The Blues logjam on D could make it tough for anyone to get a shot, and I doubt Byrne will be ready then anyway. Stuart probably gets the first call next year for short-tem injury fill-in duty.

But I think McClement could force his way into the lineup next season in St. Louis. If he stays healthy and keeps improving all year in Worcester he might be NHL-ready in 2004, even if it's only as the fourth-line center and penalty killer.

Old
11-15-2003, 07:22 AM
BINGO

Richard Scott pulled the same BS in MAnchester last night......he then took a baseball swing of the stick to Ryan Flinn, getting the match penalty.

I like it when the Icecats come to Manchester, they are a tough team and always come to play. I have seen a few tilts that could be on any fight tape with Mclaren and Flinn, they always meet up for a dance and always smile and say bye! That's much better than being a coward and turtling.........................

Closed Thread