HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dumont

Old
08-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Venom_17

vCash: 500
Dumont

I haven't seen it elsewhere on this board, so...

(a) Dumont would be a good fit in our top 6. I would be willing to give a 4th to Buffalo and pay him the 2.9M for one year. Perhaps a conditional pick if he re-signs.

(b) Another option would be to see if Buffalo walks and try to sign him as a UFA.

(c) Or perhaps, some of you have no interest in the guy at all.

The guy can score, he has decent size/hands and he had some good experience with winning this season, going to the Conference finals.

2.9M is a lot of money, but not so bad for a 1-year deal if he gets 25 goals for us.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Captain Ron

I would rather deal for Briere or Gomez then to pay $2.9 million for Dumont. Just my opinion.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Indeed. Frolov, Cammalleri, O'Sullivan, Brown, Willsie are the potential options on the top six wings. Not a strong group. At center it comes down to Conroy, Belanger and McCauley. Maybe Kopitar but don't count on him yet.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 11:47 PM
bland

Dumont would look awfully good with Conroy and Frolov, but not $2.9 mil-good.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Well when the Sabres walk away from his award, maybe DL will snatch him up.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 12:37 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Would two years at $4 million be enough for JP?

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 02:03 AM
Venom_17

I will play devil's advocate here because I like Dumont.

He had 20 goals in 54 games last season. At that pace, a full 82 game season results in 31 goals. Maybe not optimal, but not bad for just under $3M per. Keep in mind that he also had a rather productive playoff (14 points in 18 games).

A top 12 forward core of Frolov, Cammalleri, Conroy, Dumont, Brown, O'Sullivan, McCauley, Belanger, Willsie, Thornton, Avery and Kopitar/Kostopolous looks pretty damn good.

Basically what it comes down to is that it would likely cost us very little to acquire JP. $2.9M is not an exorbitant amount for a forward that can score 25-35 goals for you. Dumont definitely would fill a team need...and it is unlikely that there will be another opportunity to add a player like him without giving up much in return.

The only question that I am uneasy about is...Is Dumont a "Lombardi-type" player?

Old
08-03-2006, 02:06 AM
Venom_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I would rather deal for Briere or Gomez then to pay $2.9 million for Dumont. Just my opinion.
I agree with you, all other things being equal.

However, if we could get Dumont for a mid-round pick, as opposed to getting Briere/Gomez for a young player/prospect, then I would lean towards JP.

Old
08-03-2006, 02:09 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
He would probably 2.9 or more on the open market.

08-03-2006, 02:30 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
He had 20 goals in 54 games last season. At that pace, a full 82 game season results in 31 goals. Maybe not optimal, but not bad for just under $3M per. Keep in mind that he also had a rather productive playoff (14 points in 18 games).
Bingo. We saw with Briere that you could miss a lot of games and still be awarded pay based on the pace that you were on. Also, I'm sure that the very good playoff numbers contributed. All of this considered, $2.9M doesn't look all that out of line.

I agree that he'd probably be cheap. Maybe Buffalo will walk away, but I'm guessing that they'll accept the ruling and deal him to the team most desperate for scoring to give up the highest pick. I can see Detroit as a possible destination.

I wouldn't mind Dumont, but I think that Nolan would be a better option because he'd be free and cheaper and provide leadership and a tad bit of toughness.

Last edited by Osprey: 08-03-2006 at 02:41 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 02:37 AM
johnjm22

Well if were not gonna spend the money on anyone else....

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 09:17 AM
kingsfan25

Interesting sidenote: look at those junior numbers.

This guy had a lot of potential.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...ame=nhl-sabres

EDIT: Looking at his numbers and GP again, this looks like another award based on "what could have been" ala Briere. I would say he'd be a decent addition, but I don't know that DL would like that lack of work ehtic thing (provided TSN is correct about that).

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 12:18 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

$2.9 Mil is a lot of money, but he would look nice on the Kings. How about sending LaBarbera over (solves them wanting a backup other than Biron) with a pick for Dumont? At least they'd get something for him.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:32 AM
Human Blender

Apparently, according to Buffalo radio information Sabres decided to walk away from Dumont's arbitration decision. If he's free to sign elsewhere, the new club is not bound by the arbitration figure, right? Potentially we could sign him for like two years for ca 2.3 mln per?

If we could acquire Dumont, that could push Cammy to his natural center spot in the second line... Just dreaming

Human Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:47 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nieszpory View Post
Apparently, according to Buffalo radio information Sabres decided to walk away from Dumont's arbitration decision. If he's free to sign elsewhere, the new club is not bound by the arbitration figure, right? Potentially we could sign him for like two years for ca 2.3 mln per?

If we could acquire Dumont, that could push Cammy to his natural center spot in the second line... Just dreaming
Yes, if Buffalo walks away from the Dumont ruling he would become an unrestricted free agent. But I have a feeling that there is at least 1 team out there that will pay him $2.9 million or more. So unless Lombardi is willing to shell out that much for him.....it isn't going to happen.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:52 AM
Human Blender

Could it be since he would have used to play for the winner (Sabres), he'd like to continue with a team that gave him a chance to win (not necessarily the Pens/Blues/other cap-free below .500 teams)?

Human Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Dumont has been a pretty solid performer come playoff time as well. 21 points in 31 career playoff games isn't bad, and he had 14 points and 7 goals in 18 post season games this past season.

An 2-year deal at $5M would seem like a decent offer for him, but who knows if a team out there would be willing to offer more years or more money.

Old
08-04-2006, 05:29 PM
johnjm22

I'd be willing to give him 2.9 for one year. He gives us the top 6 forward we're missing, and he'll be gone after one year allowing one of the kids to step in.

Plus we could trade him at the deadline for an asset.

Old
08-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Venom_17

Intriguing that he was a 3rd overall pick.

At 28 years old, he should theoretically be in or near his prime for the next 2-3 years at least.

He has also been a 20 goal scorer in 4 of the last 5 NHL seasons.

Old
08-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Remember, Glen Murray was 29-30 years old when he finally broke through and scored over 30-40 goals. Before that, his highest goal total was 29. I'm sure having Joe Thornton had some influence on his increasin goal totals though...

Another good thing about Dumont is his versatility to play both wings. Frolov and O'Sullivan could be the top two LW's and Cammalleri and Dumont can be the top two RW's.

Four potential wingers who could hit 20+ goals.

Old
08-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Another good thing about Dumont is his versatility to play both wings. Frolov and O'Sullivan could be the top two LW's and Cammalleri and Dumont can be the top two RW's. Four potential wingers who could hit 20+ goals.
... so you're saying you don't think Dustin Brown can score 20+ goals ?

or Willsie for that matter ... who had 19 last year btw, and no not all w/ Ovechkin.

Dumont is not the answer and not for that kinda money.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 07:19 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
... so you're saying you don't think Dustin Brown can score 20+ goals ?

or Willsie for that matter ... who had 19 last year btw, and no not all w/ Ovechkin.

Dumont is not the answer and not for that kinda money.
It's pricey, but Dumont did have a PPG average.

Old
08-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I don't think Dumont is worth $3M, but for $2.5M I would take the chance of adding him to the lineup. Willsie and Brown could reach that mark, but they also aren't considered to be top six wingers (least not yet in Brown's case, and Willsie was playing on a VERY thin Capitals roster).

I think Brown and Willsie would be better suited as the 3rd line wingers to play between Alyn McCauley or Eric Belanger. If they can each score 15+ goals to go with four wingers on the top two lines who can score 20+ goals, the Kings would have a rather deep set of wingers, leaving Scott Thornton and Kostopoulos, Cowan or Parros as the fourth line wingers (assuming Avery or Armstrong will center the fourth line).

Old
08-04-2006, 08:20 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think Brown and Willsie would be better suited as the 3rd line wingers to play between Alyn McCauley or Eric Belanger. If they can each score 15+ goals to go with four wingers on the top two lines who can score 20+ goals, the Kings would have a rather deep set of wingers, leaving Scott Thornton and Kostopoulos, Cowan or Parros as the fourth line wingers (assuming Avery or Armstrong will center the fourth line).
I'd really hate to see Brown spend all year on the 3rd line. The kid needs to be put in a scoring role. Having him grind it out in the bottom 6 isn't the best thing for his development IMO.

Old
08-04-2006, 08:24 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I'd really hate to see Brown spend all year on the 3rd line. The kid needs to be put in a scoring role. Having him grind it out in the bottom 6 isn't the best thing for his development IMO.
I agree with this. He really rounded out his physical game nicely last season (we've all seen the highlight package). Now it's time for him to concentrate on his offensive game...put him with whichever line needs a more physical presence and see what happens.