Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Lewis Predicament far from over.

Old
08-03-2006, 03:51 AM
Jimmypop316

vCash: 500
Lewis Predicament far from over.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/sport....asp?ID=143064.

You might have to register so heres the details. Thanks to the poster on the WHL whiteboard who brought this article into the fold.

From Spokesman-Review:

Chiefs work to secure player, assistant coach

Jeff Bunch
Staff writer
August 3, 2006

It seems nothing comes easy for the Spokane Chiefs.

If all works out well for them, they will have a new assistant coach and possibly a top newcomer in the fold when they open their Western Hockey League training camp at the end of this month.

But there are a lot of "ifs" to those scenarios.

First and foremost, the Chiefs are awaiting a ruling from the Canadian Hockey League on a dispute between the WHL and the Ontario Hockey League over which league has the right to sign 2006 National Hockey League first-round draft pick Trevor Lewis.
Lewis, 6-foot-1 and 192 pounds, is a highly regarded center from Murray, Utah. The 19-year-old was the 17th overall pick, to the Los Angeles Kings, in the June NHL entry draft.

Scouts have praised Lewis' skating speed and scoring ability. He was a star in the U.S. Hockey League last season and had committed to play at the University of Michigan before going pro and forfeiting his U.S. college eligibility. Before all that occurred, he was placed on the Chiefs' "protected list."

Given that, Spokane believes it has the exclusive right to sign him to a player agreement since Utah is within the geographic territory of the WHL.

The Owen Sound of the OHL disregarded that, however, signing Lewis on July 21 and holding a press conference to announce such. The dispute will need to be settled by the CHL, which is the umbrella organization for the three Canadian major-junior leagues: the WHL, OHL and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL).

There is no clear process on how the matter will be settled, as the situation is unprecedented, according to WHL commissioner Ron Robison.

"We've never had this situation before because we've always been able to work these things out between leagues," Robison said by telephone on Wednesday. "Each league has defined territory. There is a different release process in each case. In this particular case, there was no request for release. The OHL has a different interpretation."

Spokane general manager Tim Speltz believes the underlying facts are clear.

"He's a player on our protected list, in the WHL's territory," Speltz said. "There's a process that has to be followed, since the CHL is involved, and at this point it is a WHL matter first and then a Spokane Chiefs matter second."

==

I am interested to seeing how this thing is going to end up. I don't really understand how Owen Sound ended up with him, because he is a WHL player by rules, and before a player clears into another Junior league he has to pass through waivers, and this whole process was bypassed too. It seems like a simple answer simply because he was always on the PPL of the Chiefs.

This whole situation is a mess, I don't really understand how he ended up in Owen Sound to begin with. Did LA prefer him to be playing with the Attack or what?

Jimmypop316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 07:48 PM
ohlfanos

I was at the mentioned news conference. The Owen Sound GM said he had David Branch's assurance the paper work was all legit and had his blessing. David Branch is also CHL commisioner.

ohlfanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 08:18 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlfanos View Post
I was at the mentioned news conference. The Owen Sound GM said he had David Branch's assurance the paper work was all legit and had his blessing. David Branch is also CHL commisioner.
Yeah, that makes me think it's all smoke and no fire from the Spokane end.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 08:30 PM
FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFlyers View Post
Yeah, that makes me think it's all smoke and no fire from the Spokane end.
Why would the WHL commish be out there basically saying, Owen Sound had no right to sign him. Unless theres some loophole that the WHL doesnt know about, it seems OS had no right to sign Lewis, reguardless of what was said at the press conference.

FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 08:44 PM
ohlfanos

the Owen Sound GM also said he expected a protest from the WHL but he was ready for it with David Branch's blessing.
something about Lewis going through two drafts without being drafted, protected list or no protected list?

Old
08-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Fedz

Kind of shady, considering Branch is the OHL Commissioner as well. He better look out for both leagues.

Fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Sabes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlfanos View Post
the Owen Sound GM also said he expected a protest from the WHL but he was ready for it with David Branch's blessing.
something about Lewis going through two drafts without being drafted, protected list or no protected list?
regardless if drafted or not he was on Spokane's PPL.

Sabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 10:11 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabes View Post
regardless if drafted or not he was on Spokane's PPL.
But if he goes undrafted twice he has no ties to that league, protected list or not.

That is my understanding. Seems to be Dave Branch's too.

Old
08-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Beaner

Quote:
But if he goes undrafted twice he has no ties to that league, protected list or not.

That is my understanding. Seems to be Dave Branch's too.
That makes no sense. That means that any 16 year old player in any part of the country who is undrafted could be snapped up by any team/league, since by 16 they would have gone thru 2 drafts.

If a player is undrafted in the WHL, any team can list that player at any time, as long as they have room on their 50ppl. They just have to notify the league and put him on the list.

Chiefs are saying Lewis is on their 50ppl, and therefore they hold his rights to play in the CHL. Lewis may not have signed with the Chiefs, but they still hold his rights.

Things get a little different with overagers, but since Lewis isnt an overager, any points about that are moot.

I think this is going to come down to wether or not the Chiefs had him on their 50PPL.

Beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner View Post
That makes no sense. That means that any 16 year old player in any part of the country who is undrafted could be snapped up by any team/league, since by 16 they would have gone thru 2 drafts.

If a player is undrafted in the WHL, any team can list that player at any time, as long as they have room on their 50ppl. They just have to notify the league and put him on the list.

Uhhm, no.

Often times 16 year olds are only passed over once (unless they have a late birthday)

And yes, players who are passed over in their drafts often go to other leagues. Ontario players often end up playing in the 'Q' if they are passed over.

That said if Lewis was on some protected list, that makes things a little shady.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Alter Haudegen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
Uhhm, no.

Often times 16 year olds are only passed over once (unless they have a late birthday)
And yes, players who are passed over in their drafts often go to other leagues. Ontario players often end up playing in the 'Q' if they are passed over.

That said if Lewis was on some protected list, that makes things a little shady.
Not in the Dub. Other than the OHL and the Q, the WHL drafts 14 years old (a full year before they are allowed to play in the league).

Alter Haudegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:17 AM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
First round pick Claude Giroux being a perfect example.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Big Daddy

The problem is the different rules each of the 3 leagues have regarding territorial rights and kids that play in lesser leagues in different territories than which they normally reside. Until the CHL has unified rule(s) regarding this gm's, agents, etc. will expose the loopholes.

Maybe Beaner can expand on this as he is very familiar with the WHL.

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:21 PM
FearTheFlyers

How does someone get to be on a protected list if he wasn't drafted?

Old
08-04-2006, 02:57 PM
FC

Quote:
How does someone get to be on a protected list if he wasn't drafted?
When a team is going to add a player, they contact the league office and player letting them know they have been added to their list, I believe. This can happen anytime after their bantam draft year if their rights are not held by a WHL team.

Old
08-04-2006, 03:46 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefmonarch View Post
When a team is going to add a player, they contact the league office and player letting them know they have been added to their list, I believe. This can happen anytime after their bantam draft year if their rights are not held by a WHL team.
http://www.whl.ca/news/bantam.php?id=80

"A player who is on a WHL teamís List may not play for another WHL team, or attend another WHL team's training camp or rookie camp. However, being a member of a WHL teamís 50 Player Protected List does not restrict a player from playing for, or attending a camp of a non-WHL team. The 50 Player Protected List is used strictly to determine which WHL team holds the playerís rights."

Old
08-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Fedz

I suppose Spokane should read the rulebook then!

Old
08-04-2006, 04:36 PM
FC

Quote:
http://www.whl.ca/news/bantam.php?id=80

"A player who is on a WHL teamís List may not play for another WHL team, or attend another WHL team's training camp or rookie camp. However, being a member of a WHL teamís 50 Player Protected List does not restrict a player from playing for, or attending a camp of a non-WHL team. The 50 Player Protected List is used strictly to determine which WHL team holds the playerís rights."
That might be the loophole OS is trying to use. I think that rule is there so players can play in other non CHL leagues. Aslo from that same link you posted..."The WHL, along with the Ontario Hockey League and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League comprise the Canadian Hockey League. Rules are in place to ensure that a player may be selected by only one league.

Old
08-04-2006, 05:47 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefmonarch View Post
That might be the loophole OS is trying to use. I think that rule is there so players can play in other non CHL leagues. Aslo from that same link you posted..."The WHL, along with the Ontario Hockey League and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League comprise the Canadian Hockey League. Rules are in place to ensure that a player may be selected by only one league.
I don't think the bolded piece has anything to do with this situation though. I believe that just refers to draft territory.

Old
08-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Beaner

from, www.whl.ca

Quote:
3. How does a player get the opportunity to play in the Western Hockey League?
Each of the member teams in the WHL has a 50 player protected list that includes current roster players as well as players projected to be able to play for the team in the future. Once placed on the list of a member team, a player must play with that team if he wishes to play at the Major Junior level. The first opportunity to list players is in the year of their 15th birthday. The WHL conducts a draft of 15 year old players where teams can first add players to their lists. Any players who are not listed at that time, can be added to a team's list until the year of their 20th birthday. The team simply contacts the WHL Office and can add any player who does not appear on the list of another Major Junior team. If the team's list is filled with 50 players and they wish to add a player, they must first release a player from their protected list. Players released from a protected list are free to be added by any other WHL team after a seven day waiting period. Players must appear on a team's list in order to play a WHL regular season or playoff game.
So looking at that it quite clearly states that if you are on a 50ppl you can only play for that team at the Major Junior Level. However if you want to go to a different league, be it BCHL, US College etc you can still do that.

Since the Chiefs say they have him on their 50PPL, it looks very cut and dry to me.

-------------------------
I think the problem here is that Trevor Lewis is considered a Utah player by the WHL, which falls under the WHL territory.

The Attack are saying that he in fact lives in Iowa, and thus falls under OHL territory.

Now he does live in Iowa, but only because he has been playing at Des Moins of the USHL.

At the time when he was draft eligible, he was living in Utah; he actually played his Bantam Hockey in Utah, which is considered WHL Territory. I have to think that he still falls under the WHL territorial rights.

-------------------------

The real problem here is that none of the 3 Major junior Leagues, have all the rules regarding the players on their websites, so that we actually know 100% what they are. The CHL site has none of these player rules at all on their website either.

Old
08-04-2006, 06:35 PM
ohlfanos

Owen Sound have never said he is from Iowa - He is listed on their web site as Utah www.attackhockey.com

Old
08-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Fedz

This is going to be fun to see play out. I wonder where he'll end up.

Old
08-04-2006, 07:48 PM
ohlfanos

I will be shocked to see him anywhere else but Owen Sound. Mike Futa is NO dummy, he has his bases covered.

Old
08-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
This is going to be fun to see play out. I wonder where he'll end up.
Hopefully they give us all an explanation on their ruling, but I somehow doubt they will.

Old
08-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Fedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner View Post
Hopefully they give us all an explanation on their ruling, but I somehow doubt they will.
It'll definitely be a smart idea to release the information as to why this happened for future problems arising such as this.

I agree that they won't though.