HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jason Weimer available on waivers

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Jason Weimer available on waivers

I think the Habs should claim Jason Weimer even if he may be a bit overpaid. This player can hit, fight, defend effectively, chip in with key goals and he is very effective in front of the net. He would bring good size and grit to the wings of the third line (6'1 224) and could continue the following year as the big checking line center of the team when we will lose Juneau via free agency.

I know we have a logjam of forwards but I don't see much time left for Audette and Perreault in this organization. I feel Wiemer would be a valuable addition as much as Langdon/Begin to our roster.

Thoughts?

Old
11-11-2003, 01:01 PM
hockey_nut

I'd like to have him on this team. Would be nice... him with Begin or Kilger, and Sundstrom would be sweet.

Old
11-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Mike8

No doubt the Habs should pick him up if they get the chance!

I'm EXTREMELY surprised to see him placed on waivers. I would have been prepared to move a player like Rivet or Quintal for him. I'm positive that Wiemer holds trade value in this league, so my best guess is that the Isles simply didn't want a body back. No idea why the Isles didn't move him for a pick at least, though.

This is another 'bizarro' move by Milbury. What a trade this was: moving Branislav Mezei for Wiemer. Mezei's been developing into what looks like a potential top 3 or 4 rearguard with good size; precisely what the Isles could use on their third pairing.

(Just a note of interest: Milbury dealt Todd Bertuzzi and Bryan McCabe for Trevor Linden. Then dealt Linden for a 10th overall pick (Mezei). Then dealt Mezei for Wiemer. Then placed Wiemer on waivers. Good asset management by Milbury, eh? :p )

Old
11-11-2003, 01:06 PM
doc lafleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku K.
I think the Habs should claim Jason Weimer even if he may be a bit overpaid. This player can hit, fight, defend effectively, chip in with key goals and he is very effective in front of the net. He would bring good size and grit to the wings of the third line (6'1 224) and could continue the following year as the big checking line center of the team when we will lose Juneau via free agency.

I know we have a logjam of forwards but I don't see much time left for Audette and Perreault in this organization. I feel Wiemer would be a valuable addition as much as Langdon/Begin to our roster.

Thoughts?
what one more, why not Bob.

Old
11-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Habber

I would like to see Wiemer in a Habs uniform as well. He is a great checking line guy, he can play the wing or centre, he hits and for a big guy he has good speed.

He would be a fantastic pickup for the Habs. He's definately a BG type of player. Just think of the size and grit we would have with him next year:
Begin
Langdon
Kilger
Wiemer
Souray
Komi

All of the sudden we're not a smurf team anymore!

Old
11-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku K.

Thoughts?
I like Wiemer, I'd welcome him on the team.

Old
11-11-2003, 01:21 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Wiemer would be a great addition. He is a 10 goal guy, with leadership just oozing out of him. He could be another guy who would be willing to step up in the dressing room and let his teammates know that they're not cutting it.

With a little work, lines of Bulis - Kilger - Ryder and Wiemer - Begin - Langdon would certainly improve the toughness, and size, of the team.

Old
11-11-2003, 02:04 PM
mcphee

JL, Mcguire was just saying that his effect in the room, was part of the reason he's being waived. Apparently he has a lot to say, not often of a positive nature. I know little about him, just that he's a big checker that teams seem to trade for a lot.

Old
11-11-2003, 02:14 PM
SUOMI

come on Bob, go get him...
I suppose that a couple of team will try to pick him up...

Old
11-11-2003, 02:22 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
JL, Mcguire was just saying that his effect in the room, was part of the reason he's being waived. Apparently he has a lot to say, not often of a positive nature. I know little about him, just that he's a big checker that teams seem to trade for a lot.
mcphee,

That's a little concerning for sure. Considering all the jerks who are supposedly in the Habs room, he may fit in quite well than :p . Seriously though, I don't know how much time Pierre spends inside the Isles dressing room, but I'd be willing to say that he's not a regular visitor. I think, as most sources have stated (including Mad Mike), it was based solely on financial reasons and the strong play of Trent Hunter (wow.) and Sean Bergenheim.

TSN's article also says that Parrish and Scatchard may be available, too, because of their contracts. I think the waiver priority system is similiar to the entry draft, in that the oppurtunity to select the player moves from the last place team (Washington) to the first place team (Vancouver). I'd be willing to bet that Wiemer get's picked up pretty quickly.

And, if Jason does get selected before Gainey is given an oppurtunity, Mark Parrish at 2.3 million would more than make my day.

Old
11-11-2003, 03:29 PM
CHareth

Quote:
He's really demanding of his teammates and tries to push them. I think it comes off as pretty abrasive, and some of them take offence to a guy who is not an elite player demanding the best from everyone and getting upset when someone doesn't give 100%. In Montreal's dressing room and on the bench, it's pretty obvious that a few of these jokers are not going to buy him a beer after the game.

Old
11-11-2003, 03:54 PM
pepchew

I remember reading a couple of years back that Brian Sutter had said Wiemer was the kind of player that would walk on hot coals if you asked him to.

Old
11-11-2003, 03:59 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
The question is : Is $1,622,500 too much for a third/fourth line grinder? We sure could use him, but is that too much?

Old
11-11-2003, 04:04 PM
RE-HABS

Personally I don't want him, and I don't think he would be available even if Montreal wanted to pick him. Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Carolina and Columbus along with other non-playoff teams pick before we can so he will go there before here. And if he doesn't get picked up, what does that say about his character and attitude then?

Old
11-11-2003, 04:14 PM
Patty Roy

This is a no brainer...of course you pick up Weimer if he is available for nothing.

Claim Weimer and deal Perreault for a pick...the Habs get more competitive, get a pick and save some money!

Old
11-11-2003, 10:38 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy
This is a no brainer...of course you pick up Weimer if he is available for nothing.

Claim Weimer and deal Perreault for a pick...the Habs get more competitive, get a pick and save some money!
exactly

Old
11-12-2003, 03:48 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
I think the problem with him in the locker room was that he was not on the same page as Yashin and Peca and since those last two are the "core" of this team, Weimer as to quit.
Anyhow, from what I know of the guy, he look like an upgrade on for our checking line.

Old
11-12-2003, 04:56 AM
24Cups

vCash:
I would much rather have Scatchard if he's available. He scored 27 goals last season playing on a third line and had over 100 penalty minutes. That's the type of player we need.

Old
11-12-2003, 04:57 AM
Darz

I wouldn't be disappointed if BG picked up Weimer, although I do doubt if he gets placed on waivers he would pass throught the clubs below us. To eliminate this BG could trade a 6th/7th round pick to the isle for him, therefore eliminating any chance of another team acquiring him.
I still question wether BG will want to add another $1.6M to the payroll, for essentally a 4th liner.

Old
11-12-2003, 04:57 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Wiemer would bring instant leadership and dedication to the team. He's strong, mean, he hits alot, and is good defensively. Also, isn't he like 26 ?? Fairly young...

If he's available, please BG get him!

Old
11-12-2003, 09:16 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
The question is : Is $1,622,500 too much for a third/fourth line grinder? We sure could use him, but is that too much?
Wow, someone with the same thoughts as me. The only way this is a good deal is if you shed a useless high salaried player at the same time, either traded somewhere for a pick or for future considerations.

But in the end....you can't have guys getting paid that kind of money on the 4th line, because when it comes time to get a Federov or another all star UFA, there is never enough money.

What do we want, a stud forward or a great grinder line? Which is easier to obtain for less money?

Old
11-12-2003, 02:16 PM
Guy!

Weimer is a character player, for sure. His size at 6'1 and 225 would also be a bonus. Certainly he would be a nice fit at least for the Hab fans out there.

But...

At $1.6 million for what would amount to a fourth line player is steep to the extreme. Someone mentioned that we should trade Perreault for a pick if we want to pick up Weimer. Well, that's all fine and dandy, but first find a team out there that wants him. Remember Audette on waivers and passing through? Any reason you think Perreault wouldn't do the same?

From people who are infinitely closer to the Islanders than are McGuire and the gaggle of *general* hockey reporters on TSN, Weimer is a downer in the dressing room. He calls guys out, which is good to see, but from what I'm understanding, he's not a positive person. The rumours I've heard have him being placed on waivers because he and Peca are at loggerheads - and really, is there a choice between the two? Thought not.

"According to multiple sources, he is
not a popular figure with either Yashin or Peca, the
team's marquee players. Wiemer, brought in two summers
ago to assume a leadership role, is vocal both on the
bench and in the locker room.

Some credit Wiemer for being, as one player said,
"that in-your-face athlete that you need." Another
team member suggested otherwise. "For a guy who scores
nine goals a season, he talks on the bench like he's
[Mark] Messier," he said. "Guys are not thrilled about
that.""

While I like the leadership, will he create more problems than he fixes? Might be a large risk for Gainey to pick him up.

A concerned fan.

Old
11-12-2003, 04:50 PM
FlavorFlav

Man, if we are paying Rivet and Juneau $3M EACH we can SURELY justify Wiemer's $1.6M...size, heart and toughness...like the Habs are just overflowing with those qualities.

Please, of please pull the trigger Bob...change the face of this team.

Old
11-13-2003, 09:47 AM
Darz

Weimer is now a member of the Wild:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...13_121639_3524

Old
11-13-2003, 09:50 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Weimer is now a member of the Wild:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...13_121639_3524
holy **** !! IM SHOCKED!!
the team that are always sold out and that waited about 2months to sign gaborik and that are always trying to save money .. claimed Wiemer !!

good move by Risenbrough

Closed Thread