HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: What's the deal with the Rocky statue?

Old
08-08-2006, 12:58 PM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chthonic View Post
you are also missing the point. ... Sure, the artist himself did not repurpose the statue as duchamp and "attach a message", however that is irrelevent. duchamp's statement wasnt "art is the found object." He simply questioned what art was. the city and society have repurposed this prop and embraced the essence of the piece. no longer is it simply a "prop" but a work of art.
Your last statement is only true if one agress with Duchamp's philosophy. If one does not, the statue is to be judged on its aesthetic merits alone. That is where you are missing the point. If we don't agree with Duchamp, we are in no way obligated to accept the Rocky statue as art.

Quote:
duchamp challenged the world to view art in an entirely new fashion, without the academy telling it what is art and what is not.
Agreed and that is why the work which best embodies that challenge is an important piece of art and is to be judged important aside from its aesthetics or original purpose, but we are certainly not required to extend that to another work simply because Duchamps says we should.

If your argument is that the Museum's council should adopt Duchamps philosophy, fine. State why they should examine the staute using Duchamp's philosophy? What obligation do they have to view it through the lens of Duchamp?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:39 PM
chthonic

WE don't have that obligation, as I said its a moot point. however a museum/council which supports Duchamp and his philosophies should atleast be a little more liberal in its view of "art", to spare itself hypocrisy.

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 04:30 PM
dedalus

Quote:
WE don't have that obligation, as I said its a moot point.
"We" here was meant as all those who judge art. That's inclusive of the museum's council.

Quote:
however a museum/council which supports Duchamp and his philosophies should atleast be a little more liberal in its view of "art", to spare itself hypocrisy.
What evidence do you have to show that they support Duchamp's philosophy of art, much less accept it as the principle guiding which works belong in/in front of the museum?

Old
08-08-2006, 04:46 PM
chthonic

Quote:
What evidence do you have to show that they support Duchamp's philosophy of art
whaaaa? you already posted how they support it. youre going in circles man. eesh im done with this. go rocky!

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 08:00 PM
dedalus

Quote:
whaaaa? you already posted how they support it.
Excuse me? Quote what I've written that you believe to be my statement that the museum council supports Duchamp's philosophy of art. I'll clarify it for you since I've most certainly never intended to make such a statement.

If my words are your proof that the museum council supports Duchamp's philosophy, tell me which ones you're talking about.

Old
08-09-2006, 01:21 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

Why did they remove it from the Spectrum anyway?

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 08:40 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
WE don't have that obligation, as I said its a moot point. however a museum/council which supports Duchamp and his philosophies should atleast be a little more liberal in its view of "art", to spare itself hypocrisy.
OK. So we know Duchamp's philosophy. What's the philosophy behind the Rocky statue that makes it art? It really is just a prop. It wasn't made for any other reason.

If the building at the top of the steps was anything other than an art museum this probably wouldn't be an issue, after all the Rocky film immortalised those steps, but does a statue like that really belong in front of such a building? Nah.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote