HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: What's the deal with the Rocky statue?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-08-2006, 12:58 PM
  #26
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chthonic View Post
you are also missing the point. ... Sure, the artist himself did not repurpose the statue as duchamp and "attach a message", however that is irrelevent. duchamp's statement wasnt "art is the found object." He simply questioned what art was. the city and society have repurposed this prop and embraced the essence of the piece. no longer is it simply a "prop" but a work of art.
Your last statement is only true if one agress with Duchamp's philosophy. If one does not, the statue is to be judged on its aesthetic merits alone. That is where you are missing the point. If we don't agree with Duchamp, we are in no way obligated to accept the Rocky statue as art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chthonic View Post
duchamp challenged the world to view art in an entirely new fashion, without the academy telling it what is art and what is not.
Agreed and that is why the work which best embodies that challenge is an important piece of art and is to be judged important aside from its aesthetics or original purpose, but we are certainly not required to extend that to another work simply because Duchamps says we should.

If your argument is that the Museum's council should adopt Duchamps philosophy, fine. State why they should examine the staute using Duchamp's philosophy? What obligation do they have to view it through the lens of Duchamp?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:39 PM
  #27
chthonic
Registered User
 
chthonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
WE don't have that obligation, as I said its a moot point. however a museum/council which supports Duchamp and his philosophies should atleast be a little more liberal in its view of "art", to spare itself hypocrisy.

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 04:30 PM
  #28
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chthonic View Post
WE don't have that obligation, as I said its a moot point.
"We" here was meant as all those who judge art. That's inclusive of the museum's council.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chthonic View Post
however a museum/council which supports Duchamp and his philosophies should atleast be a little more liberal in its view of "art", to spare itself hypocrisy.
What evidence do you have to show that they support Duchamp's philosophy of art, much less accept it as the principle guiding which works belong in/in front of the museum?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 04:46 PM
  #29
chthonic
Registered User
 
chthonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
What evidence do you have to show that they support Duchamp's philosophy of art
whaaaa? you already posted how they support it. youre going in circles man. eesh im done with this. go rocky!

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 08:00 PM
  #30
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chthonic View Post
whaaaa? you already posted how they support it.
Excuse me? Quote what I've written that you believe to be my statement that the museum council supports Duchamp's philosophy of art. I'll clarify it for you since I've most certainly never intended to make such a statement.

If my words are your proof that the museum council supports Duchamp's philosophy, tell me which ones you're talking about.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 01:21 AM
  #31
trenton1
Paille Good
 
trenton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Loge 31 Row 10
Country: Belize
Posts: 6,687
vCash: 500
Why did they remove it from the Spectrum anyway?

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 08:40 AM
  #32
bungle
Casual Observer
 
bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chthonic View Post
WE don't have that obligation, as I said its a moot point. however a museum/council which supports Duchamp and his philosophies should atleast be a little more liberal in its view of "art", to spare itself hypocrisy.
OK. So we know Duchamp's philosophy. What's the philosophy behind the Rocky statue that makes it art? It really is just a prop. It wasn't made for any other reason.

If the building at the top of the steps was anything other than an art museum this probably wouldn't be an issue, after all the Rocky film immortalised those steps, but does a statue like that really belong in front of such a building? Nah.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.