HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Respect for Mikey (merged)

Old
07-30-2006, 12:09 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Respect for Mikey (merged)

What would Ribiero have to do to gain the average fan's respect (he already seems to have Bobs)? Will an 80 point season and a decent playoff be enough?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Shatmat*

I think if Ribeiro was giving it all at every shift and still ending up with 50-60pts people would be much less criticizing toward him. It's all a matter of heart..

Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Firthbird

Send a message via MSN to Firthbird
Apolgize for trying to become an actor while still on the ice (playoffs 04)

Firthbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
He will earn respect of the fans if he keeps playing like he played after Theodore was traded. When Theo and Dags were gone, Ribeiro was a different player and I liked what I saw.

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
He will earn respect of the fans if he keeps playing like he played after Theodore was traded. When Theo and Dags were gone, Ribeiro was a different player and I liked what I saw.
people still gave him crap, though.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

If he could always play intense hockey... add a bit of speed would be a good idea too. For the physical side, well sometimes he plays with grit, and that's cool, but with the size he has, it's not like he does damage at all...

Intense hockey for more than 1 game out of 5 would be welcome, and I'm sure people would be happy with that.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
people still gave him crap, though.
And people still give crap to Ryder even though he scored 30 goals in his 2nd NHL season, there will always be morons

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
What would Ribiero have to do to gain the average fan's respect (he already seems to have Bobs)? Will an 80 point season and a decent playoff be enough?
I don't think it's a matter of respect or how many points he gets. It's a matter of his skillset and whether or not he can be a 2nd line center on a contending team.

By now, we all know what Ribs' game is. He may show some minor improvements, but for the most part he is what he is. I respect him as a player, he's very talented and has great offensive skills. But moving forward as a team, I don't think we can realistically expect to win a Cup with Ribeiro as a top 6 player.

It's not out of hatred for the guy that people want him replaced. To continue to be a better team, we need to upgrade weaker positions, and most see 2nd line centre as a weak spot.

I personally would love to see Ribs stay, but in a reduced role. Keep him around to play PP and as a top 6 injury fill-in.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Habsy

Oh, thought you meant Ryder.

Ribeiro will only get respect when he stops coughing up the puck on every hit or even attempt to hit.

Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
For me, he basically just has to lose the punk-iness. I'm satisfied with 50-60 points from a second line center. And I'm also generally speaking satisfied with the work he puts out from that role. It's not exactly a position where I really expect a diehard heart'n'soul guy to be.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 02:25 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
rebeiros' weaknesses = slight build and not very strong because of this he is easily knocked of the puck which relegates him to a perimeter player , if he put on some muscle i think he would be much stronger on his skates and better equipped to dig in the corners and win pucks along the boards maybe even get his hands dirty in front of the net , imo if he comes to camp ripped , weighing in the area of 200 lbs. and comes to play every night i think he could easily become an upper echelon player in this league , if not , i see journey man forward in his future

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 02:35 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
For me, he basically just has to lose the punk-iness. I'm satisfied with 50-60 points from a second line center. And I'm also generally speaking satisfied with the work he puts out from that role. It's not exactly a position where I really expect a diehard heart'n'soul guy to be.
I noticed he played in traffic late last year. If he continued to do that and get his nose dirty in close I would be very satisfied. The Habs approach appears to be using 3-4 lines more and building quality there eg Johnson. Hopefully it will pay off. I remember Tremblay and Mondou playing on a kid line and that depth was amazing.
If Pleks, Zhogi, Kots or Gui blossom there could be additional production from the last 2 lines

Old
07-30-2006, 03:47 PM
tmc

For me it would be if he starts to take it seriously i mean he would only need to add a bit of strength to be way more effective, just look at his shot he could win the weakest shot competition honestly i don't think i've seen a nhl player with a weaker shot like that one timer at the end of the last playoff game(overtime was it?) nice pass by kovalev ribs shoots has hard as he can and ward still has time to slide over and make the save

tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 04:06 PM
33Roy33

I would like to see Ribs look like he is trying out there and look like he cares. We didn't see that until late in the season and the playoffs last year, and by that time it was too late. He alreay lost a lot of respect from the fans. In the playoffs he worked his butt off and had lots of chances,he couldn't bury them but because he was working so hard nobody cared.

I am hoping Ribs puts in his best effort night in and night out and we will see if he has what it takes to be a reliable #2 center.

33Roy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Guriken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firthbird View Post
Apolgize for trying to become an actor while still on the ice (playoffs 04)
LOL

I don't know if you're kidding but anyway bringing this again is ridiculous... how many players fake to help their team get a PP? many. You should be grateful for having a player who has great acting talent!

And sometimes he uses his attitude to piss the other team off and that's something that I would like to see him do more often. He should also work on his shot, or just try to use it more so he would get better at it. He certainly should get more points this year with the new guys and realistically, if he does well it would be enough for me.

Guriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guriken View Post
LOL

I don't know if you're kidding but anyway bringing this again is ridiculous... how many players fake to help their team get a PP? many. You should be grateful for having a player who has great acting talent!

And sometimes he uses his attitude to piss the other team off and that's something that I would like to see him do more often. He should also work on his shot, or just try to use it more so he would get better at it. He certainly should get more points this year with the new guys and realistically, if he does well it would be enough for me.
My problem isn't necessarily embellishing an injury, but don't taunt the bench afterwards especially when there is absolutely no way you can back it up.

Ribeiro needs to show more for me. If he puts in 50 points like the last 2 seasons, that simply isn't good enough for this team moving forward. If he puts up 50 points and is more aggressive, plays with more passion and effort, than he'd be an ideal second line centre, if not, he is a stop gap, preventing Plekanec from developing.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Catch-22

Quote:

Putting up points is not Ribeiro's problem. His problems are everything else, except in the playoffs where he also has trouble putting up points. If he gets 80 pts and ends up +/- minus 15, well then that more than erases the benefits of his 80 pts. Ribeiro is consistently a minus-type player.

Consecutive one-year contracts is not a sign of respect. In Ribeiro's case it is a sign that he is not in the long term plans of the organization. Bob would not want to handicap the team by having to pay Ribeiro a salary in 2008 should his replacement be found this year. The one-year salary means that we are currently searching for that replacement.

To gain my respect, he would have to do all of the following in no particular order:

1) Win more than 50% of his face-offs
2) forecheck
3) backcheck
4) get faster
5) develop grit
6) get stronger
7) show up for the playoffs
8) score in empty nets during the playoffs
9) perhaps related to others...finish in the plus category.

All reports that he was "stronger" and developing a better work ethic were based on anecdotal evidence (one game here, one game there) and because Koivu was slumping. It was a fabrication by a few of the usual suspects who wish to see the Habs retain a certain composition on the team.

I simply can't understand the incessant confidence people show in Ribeiro. He had one good year, and that was playing side-kick to Michael Ryder. The constant, creative rationalizing in these threads reminds me a lot of older debates about another one-year wonder we got rid of. RIBEIRO is the major obstacle standing between the Habs and a shot at competing for the cup.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Habs13

He needs to drop his ego and attitude and I think shipping out Theodore and Dagenais might just be the wake-up call he needed. If he does in fact play with Samsonov and Kovalev, he'd have no exusses not to put up big points. He had 60+ with Ryder and Dagenais.. this years line mates are a huge upgrade!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 06:36 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
Putting up points is not Ribeiro's problem. His problems are everything else, except in the playoffs where he also has trouble putting up points. If he gets 80 pts and ends up +/- minus 15, well then that more than erases the benefits of his 80 pts. Ribeiro is consistently a minus-type player.

Consecutive one-year contracts is not a sign of respect. In Ribeiro's case it is a sign that he is not in the long term plans of the organization. Bob would not want to handicap the team by having to pay Ribeiro a salary in 2008 should his replacement be found this year. The one-year salary means that we are currently searching for that replacement.

To gain my respect, he would have to do all of the following in no particular order:

2) forecheck
3) backcheck
4) get faster
5) develop grit
6) get stronger

All reports that he was "stronger" and developing a better work ethic were based on anecdotal evidence (one game here, one game there) and because Koivu was slumping. It was a fabrication by a few of the usual suspects who wish to see the Habs retain a certain composition on the team.

I simply can't understand the incessant confidence people show in Ribeiro. He had one good year, and that was playing side-kick to Michael Ryder. The constant, creative rationalizing in these threads reminds me a lot of older debates about another one-year wonder we got rid of. RIBEIRO is the major obstacle standing between the Habs and a shot at competing for the cup.
Ribeiro is consistently a minus-type player ? Ribeiro was +15 the season before

Consecutive one-year contracts is not a sign of respect ? The one-year salary means that we are currently searching for that replacement ? Koivu also got few consecutive one season contracts . Ryder is in the same situation .

To gain your respect, he would have to do all of the following ; what ? you ask him to be perfect or what ? that's ridiculous

All reports that he was "stronger" and developing a better work ethic were based on anecdotal evidence...? May be it 's only you that is wrong , but not all the others ?May be it's you that is fabricating a worst Ribeiro than he is in reality

RIBEIRO is the major obstacle standing between the Habs and a shot at competing for the cup ??? this one is going so far that i wont even comment it.

Last edited by montreal: 07-30-2006 at 08:10 PM. Reason: no name calling
goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 07:00 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post

2) forecheck
3) backcheck
4) get faster
5) develop grit
6) get stronger

Lol he is only one player. Lets not make a mountain out of a molehill.

Old
07-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Catch-22

He is only one player - one very weak player occupying a very important role that he is clearly not capable of handling.

I've said it before. I'll say it again. We cannot challenge for a top spot in the conference when we have such a gap at second line centre. The position of second line centre is very important...hardly a mole-hill one.

Write this down: The Montreal Canadiens will not win a Stanley Cup with Mike Ribeiro on the team.

Old
07-30-2006, 07:28 PM
KaptainKourage*

Wah.. I hate (or love ? ) hfboards for one thing... a player pass to underrated to overrated in a sec.. and when everybody overrated a guy, he now become highly underrated (like ribeiro and mccabe did ) and that continue like this for a long time ..

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Catch-22

I have never liked Ribeiro so you can't possibly be refering to me.

Old
07-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Maxpac

For me he'l never have respect, not because i don't like the guy, he's awesomely talented althought slow, but the thing is i'm sick to my stomach of having 2 small centers for our 2 offensive lines. Please give me someone with talent AND SIZE, someone who'l charge the net or not looking like a kids vs adults game when in the corners, and since we're not trading Koivu, Mikey is the obvious choice to be replaced... a Jeff Carter clone would look awesome with us.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 10:05 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great! View Post
For me he'l never have respect, not because i don't like the guy, he's awesomely talented althought slow, but the thing is i'm sick to my stomach of having 2 small centers for our 2 offensive lines. Please give me someone with talent AND SIZE, someone who'l charge the net or not looking like a kids vs adults game when in the corners, and since we're not trading Koivu, Mikey is the obvious choice to be replaced... a Jeff Carter clone would look awesome with us.
i agree ; a big center with talent and soft hands would be the right thing to add to our team . Even more when you think that our third line center is another small player .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote