HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

question about Potulny

Old
08-08-2006, 07:26 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
I saw what I saw. I really do not care about the link you posted. I watched more then a few AHL games last season. He looked out of place a lots of time. Doesn't mean he can't improve.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 08:04 AM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I saw what I saw. I really do not care about the link you posted. I watched more then a few AHL games last season. He looked out of place a lots of time. Doesn't mean he can't improve.
You saw wrong. Eager is a better skater than Fedoruk, and has much better straight ahead speed.

If this team doesn't dress at LEAST Eager during every game, I'll be devouted 100% to the Phantoms this year.

paxtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang View Post
You saw wrong. Eager is a better skater than Fedoruk, and has much better straight ahead speed.

If this team doesn't dress at LEAST Eager during every game, I'll be devouted 100% to the Phantoms this year.
Well, like I said earlier I saw what I saw. Rick Fata is also fast, doesn’t mean he knows how to use his speed. Eager doesn't play well on defense, he doesn't play well with out the puck, when he delivers a check he misses a lot and is out of position. Fedoruk was much stronger player he was able to finish hits at that level, I guess you can see him playing well all the way from Harrisburg then me at the Phantoms game. Eager doesn’t stink he just needs more time in AHL, maybe he worked on a lot of things and ready to take a new step. If Flyers need to bring someone up to fight they can bring Eager for a few games. Playing him in NHL 5 minutes per game is just not good idea. Playing him for more then 5 is dangerous. He did nothing on Phantoms after 20 NHL games.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Jester

Quote:
Well, like I said earlier I saw what I saw. Rick Fata is also fast, doesn’t mean he knows how to use his speed. Eager doesn't play well on defense, he doesn't play well with out the puck, when he delivers a check he misses a lot and is out of position. Fedoruk was much stronger player he was able to finish hits at that level, I guess you can see him playing well all the way from Harrisburg then me at the Phantoms game. Eager doesn’t stink he just needs more time in AHL, maybe he worked on a lot of things and ready to take a new step. If Flyers need to bring someone up to fight they can bring Eager for a few games. Playing him in NHL 5 minutes per game is just not good idea. Playing him for more then 5 is dangerous. He did nothing on Phantoms after 20 NHL games.
he played well with the Flyers and i would like him to be with the big club, simply because we're soft at this point. it's generally accepted that Eager played better with the Flyers than he did with the Phantoms last year, which is mildly interesting/frustrating.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
That's as good as the "you don't know what you're talking about because you've obviously never seen him" answer. Oh wait...

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:03 PM
BringBackStevens

eager is MUCH more skilled than fedoruk. that's a joke

and yes, eager did play a much better game at the NHL level than the AHL. i was very surprised to see him sent back down so quickly. he seemed to be improving a lot with the big team

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19 View Post
eager is MUCH more skilled than fedoruk. that's a joke

and yes, eager did play a much better game at the NHL level than the AHL. i was very surprised to see him sent back down so quickly. he seemed to be improving a lot with the big team
victim of the two-way contract issue.

Old
08-08-2006, 03:50 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
victim of the two-way contract issue.
...and will continue to be after all the scrubs that Clarke signed to one way deals this past offseason.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
...and will continue to be after all the scrubs that Clarke signed to one way deals this past offseason.
that would be my concern, yes. however, i think we have to see what Clarke does coming out of camp. Clarke has given Hitch a lot of flexibility and there is the opportunity to unload some of those, pretty cheap, contracts for draft picks and whatnot coming out of camp to create space.

we're a VERY soft team right now.

Old
08-08-2006, 05:19 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
that would be my concern, yes. however, i think we have to see what Clarke does coming out of camp. Clarke has given Hitch a lot of flexibility and there is the opportunity to unload some of those, pretty cheap, contracts for draft picks and whatnot coming out of camp to create space.

we're a VERY soft team right now.
I need to introduce you to Gretzky99 on the Ranger board, because he said just this the other day and I've been arguing with him ever since. What makes you think we are soft?? Because we have no fighters??? Do you really think fighters are needed in the new NHL?? I'm VERY confident with our current crop of forwards being able to handle themselves with the way the game is being called today. What big, tough guys did the Hurricanes put on the ice this year? I don't think in any way shape or form that we are 'soft.' We've got some gritty players going for us up front-we'll be fine.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 05:38 PM
paxtang

Quote:
I'm from Harrisburg. I go to college and live year round in Philly. I just never changed it.

But now you are changing your arguement, because it is a baseless one.

paxtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 05:53 PM
mercury

Soooooo. . . how about that RYAN POTULNY?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I need to introduce you to Gretzky99 on the Ranger board, because he said just this the other day and I've been arguing with him ever since. What makes you think we are soft?? Because we have no fighters??? Do you really think fighters are needed in the new NHL?? I'm VERY confident with our current crop of forwards being able to handle themselves with the way the game is being called today. What big, tough guys did the Hurricanes put on the ice this year? I don't think in any way shape or form that we are 'soft.' We've got some gritty players going for us up front-we'll be fine.
i'm not a fan of fighting... but i think you need to have players that will make the other team honest in terms of heavy checking. similar to a pitcher throwing high-heat on batters, you need players that will make the other team hesitate to go into corners against you.

Knuble-Forsberg-Gagne

Knuble is tough, but he's not a heavy-checker... Forsberg can knock someone on their ***, but he's not someone we want going out and announcing his presence with authority every night... as that will lead to injuries. Gagne is a soft physical player, no way around it.

Umberger-Carter-Calder

Calder, who i haven't seen much of, is supposedly a gritty player... but he's not big and not going to "scare" anyone. Umberger is a big guy, but doesn't throw too many checks... same for Carter. Both of have size, but play to the softer side of the game... which is fine if they pot 30 goals next year, which i think they will.

Sanderson-Richards-Kapanen

complete guess with this line... Richards is the forward on this team most willing to throw his body around... but he's not a big guy... and i'd rather not rely on him to be throwing checks night in and night out. Sanderson and Kapanen are not physically imposing players at all.

w/out Eager, any combination of the players that we have for the 4th line (Murray, Robitaille, etc.) will be small bodies and not intimidating at all to play against. Nedved, if he's still around, isn't a physical player. so on and so forth. our forward group, as a whole, is a soft group. which has nothing to do with their ability to fight -- which they lack -- and everything to do with the lack of ability to throw the high hard one, as mentioned above.

Eager would be a great guy to have on this roster to go out there 10 minutes a night and pop someone clean... not fight them. we lack that ability without him.

Pitkanen-Rathje

big, but not hitters.

Hatcher-Meyer

Hatcher can hit... but he needs to be careful due to his speed/positioning issues. he's a legitimate physical threat though. first real option on the roster.

Gauthier - Baumgartner

Gauthier is a SCARY hitter, and good to have... but doesn't make up for the lack of ability to intimidate at the forward position. Baumgartner is considered one of the softest dmen in the NHL.

none of the 7th dmen options can be considered an intimidating physical player.

we're a very soft NHL team... we don't have a line, as of now, that is going to go out there and physically punish the opponent along the boards... it is a definite concern.

Carolina... for starters, their game was speed... and they're still much faster than this squad. however, if you look at that roster, i think you'll find that they're a little bit tougher at the forward position than this squad. our defense has some good toughness, but our forward corp, as noted, concerns me in physicality.

Old
08-08-2006, 06:47 PM
flyersfan97

We'll be OK. The last thing I question is our 'softness,' speed-yes, softness-not so much.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote