HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2012, 11:49 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Nowhere close to Edmonton, but the best place is King of Donairs in Halifax. They use a sweet sauce that is hard to find when you are not on the East coast. They also make donair pizza, which is incredible.
Last time I was at High Voltage they had sweet sauce as an option.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:26 AM
ps241
Get on board Sip :)

vCash: 50
Great thread

Winnipeg has a void in Donairs

When I spent a summer in Greece on Syros island I fell in love with the Donairs (kabobs). There was one little shop in the port town were they were just amazing shaved off the spit and the pita's they used were baked fresh by the mom every day. Very authentic and to die for. That was 1987 so I am guessing it might not be there now

One of the ex Bombers Obby khan is going to try to start a shawarma place in Winnipeg. He is from Ottawa and recognizes the void in our city and will attempt to educate our market.

when I moved to Winnipeg from Alberta I had to get use to the Fat Boy Burger (made by the Greeks at many places in the city) which I have fallen in love with. We can have a who makes the best "fat boy"in Winnipeg debate on our site but I don't think it would reach this many posts alrhough it would get heated!!

next time I am in Edmonton I am going to try out some of the places listed in this thread.

Old
08-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I dont like High Voltage donairs at all, but some people seem to love them. Their non-donair wraps are amazing though. Western chicken is my favorite, the bison and pork are both really good too.
I love their Gyros! Bit of oil then some spices and a quick fry so tasty.

Old
08-13-2012, 12:48 AM
Hairball

Went to Donair Stop tonight. I had a beef donair and chicken donair poutine. I liked the chicken much more than the beef. The beef wasn't really tasty at all and the sweet sauce didn't stand out. I don't think I'll go back.

I was out in Sherwood Park during the day and wanted to try out Famous, but they were closed.

Old
08-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Draekke

GF and I go to Swiss Donair when we eat Donair. Gunna be honest, I didn't get into donairs until recently. Swiss Donair is the best I've had by far. Had a small donair poutine, for 8 bucks....fed my gf and I. And was heavenly.

She keeps telling me that I missed out on Charles Smart, though. Too bad I didn't get a chance to try it before it closed...

Old
08-14-2012, 05:47 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Swiss donair is the way to go. I come all the way from Calgary just to have some!

Old
08-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Does anyone else in the West End go to Chomps?
I've been going there since it opened, and it's good for a fix.

Plus, one of the dudes that works there looks like Kovalchuk.

Old
08-14-2012, 07:27 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 0
Went to Primetime yesterday. Big mistake. Man has that place ever gone downhill.

Absolutely filthy everywhere. Veggies used to be freshly sliced, now everything is chopped and sitting in a bunch of water/juice. Floor was filthy, the sneeze guard was covered in grease and chunks of crap. It was straight up gross.

I turned around and walked out.

Should probably send an email to the health inspector.

Old
08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Went to Primetime yesterday. Big mistake. Man has that place ever gone downhill.

Absolutely filthy everywhere. Veggies used to be freshly sliced, now everything is chopped and sitting in a bunch of water/juice. Floor was filthy, the sneeze guard was covered in grease and chunks of crap. It was straight up gross.

I turned around and walked out.

Should probably send an email to the health inspector.
I quit going to Primetime. The place used to be so good when the actual owners were actually making the donairs, now it's just high school kids. Quality has gone downhill and the place is dirty. Last time I ate there I ended up with intense pains in my stomach, thought my appendix was bursting. Ended up going to the hospital and thr donair meet was clogging my upper intestines. What happened next wasn't pretty.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I quit going to Primetime. The place used to be so good when the actual owners were actually making the donairs, now it's just high school kids. Quality has gone downhill and the place is dirty. Last time I ate there I ended up with intense pains in my stomach, thought my appendix was bursting. Ended up going to the hospital and thr donair meet was clogging my upper intestines. What happened next wasn't pretty.
Good god. How does that even happen?!?

Old
08-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
Does anyone else in the West End go to Chomps?
I've been going there since it opened, and it's good for a fix.

Plus, one of the dudes that works there looks like Kovalchuk.
Chomps makes by far the worst donairs I've ever had in my life. Been there twice and veggies were rotten, meat was bland, sweet sauce tasted like ****. Those are the only donairs I've ever tossed in the garbage after 2-3 bites.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Chomps makes by far the worst donairs I've ever had in my life. Been there twice and veggies were rotten, meat was bland, sweet sauce tasted like ****. Those are the only donairs I've ever tossed in the garbage after 2-3 bites.
A few years ago it was absolutely awful like you said, but I've gone there 2-3 times in the last year and it wasn't too bad. Not great, but not terrible.

If you want a truly terrible donair, go to Columbus near the mall. Absolutely terrible, but I always fall into the trap of going there when I'm ****faced at my friend's house nearby.

Old
08-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Hairball

Went to City Donair on Whyte ave. last night. The meat was alright but the sweet sauce wasn't really sweet enough to be called that. I won't go back though, because I ordered a super donair and what they gave me was about 1/4 the size it should have been. I was really disappointed, especially since I was introducing a friend from Ireland, to the wonderful world of Canadian donairs. Really disappointing.

Old
08-15-2012, 02:26 AM
ChefTO

The shop in Beaumont is always clutch!

Old
08-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Then maybe it's a case of...

Old
08-21-2012, 06:31 PM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Just got back from Swiss Donair on 82nd and 144 because a few reccomendations from this thread and Im impressed.

Tight wrap, good meat and decent sweet sauce. I wont get lettuce next time, not sure why I did because I usually dont. Tomatoes and onions are the only veggies that should be on a donair.

Service was good too. The place could definitely use some renos and organizing though.

Overall I would go back. One of the better donairs Ive had in Edmonton.

PS Im from Halifax and have eaten many different donairs.

Old
08-21-2012, 06:46 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
Went to City Donair on Whyte ave. last night. The meat was alright but the sweet sauce wasn't really sweet enough to be called that. I won't go back though, because I ordered a super donair and what they gave me was about 1/4 the size it should have been. I was really disappointed, especially since I was introducing a friend from Ireland, to the wonderful world of Canadian donairs. Really disappointing.
why wouldn't you go to a place you know and trust?

Old
08-21-2012, 06:48 PM
frag2

Had a donair poutine last week at Swiss...a bit greasier than I had hoped but still good.

I challenge one to finish a large one...

Old
08-21-2012, 07:01 PM
jeffff

For good Donairs in the westend, try Donair Station (17234-95 AVE) Donnas eatery on Winterburn road just south of the Yellowhead makes a good donair too.

Chomps is average at best.

Simon King donair on the corner of 51ave and 91st has the best donairs in Edmonton.

Old
08-21-2012, 07:08 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffff View Post
For good Donairs in the westend, try Donair Station (17234-95 AVE) Donnas eatery on Winterburn road just south of the Yellowhead makes a good donair too.

Simon King donair on the corner of 51ave and 91st has the best donairs in Edmonton.
Problem with Donna's is they have it sitting in a steam tray. Not bad considering though.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:04 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Drove out to Sherwood park last night and grabbed a donair from Famous, well worth the drive. Still one of the best donairs I've been able to find around Edmonton.

Swiss and Famous are my two favourites.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:15 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Was on Whyte last night so I picked up a donair from Mike's Famous

Old
08-21-2012, 08:47 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Was on Whyte last night so I picked up a donair from Mike's Famous
How is that place? I moved near Whyte last year and I still haven't tried it, I've been tempted a few times.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:42 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffff View Post

I work around there and its an awesome donair
soup and donair amke a deadly combo!

Old
08-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Auguste Escoffier

I went to junior high school down the street from where Swiss is. I do not recall if it was there 11 years ago. Anyway, I love Swiss, but my last donair from there was not too great. The meat was rather chewy, and I only received a little bit of veg. Not enough sauce, either.

I will still return, though.

Closed Thread