HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bodychek

Old
08-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Talent Analyst

vCash: 500
Bodychek

Hi guys , My little brother start today to put bodychek on ice hockey (He's at Bantam AA camp) . I want to help him to how taking and put bodychek . And some help about how to start play hockey with bodychek can't be worst .

Thanks for the help

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 04:32 PM
theprogoalie777

Send a message via MSN to theprogoalie777
When he takes a check, make sure he is close to the boards.

theprogoalie777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 06:38 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Idk if being close to the boards is the best thing since it's easy to pop a shoulder out if your about to get nailed. But not much I can recommend cept be strong on your skates both ways. And when hitting, use your legs to get power...leaning into the guy works, but you want to get more force and power with your legs especially hip checks.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Talent Analyst

Hmm I'll say it to him .. Thanks guys

Old
08-10-2006, 08:39 PM
HFNHL Canadiens

always hit from behind, ALWAYS

HFNHL Canadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalchuk View Post
always hit from behind, ALWAYS
LOL

Old
08-10-2006, 09:35 PM
arcticwinter

hitting is all about angling.you close off a players skating room and rub him out.when you are being hit if you snug tight to the boards and catch the check[absorb it with your stick and gloves low] you'll be better off.if you get in a scary position i believe you pull your head up to the sky and do not tuck it to your chest.open ice hits are very rare,cause injuries and are being phased out of the game.
to get better at this,pivoting and lateral movement drills are very good as well as controlled contact drills.but dont go by what i say,get a hitting instructional video or bring in a hitting instructor for a clinic.
a shifty unpredictable ,quick player that sees the ice well is rarely hit.

arcticwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Kardi

on don cherry 18 he has a part where he shows you how to take a hit... its a good dvd as well

Kardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 03:12 PM
PhilMerwin187

Send a message via AIM to PhilMerwin187
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Idk if being close to the boards is the best thing since it's easy to pop a shoulder out if your about to get nailed. But not much I can recommend cept be strong on your skates both ways. And when hitting, use your legs to get power...leaning into the guy works, but you want to get more force and power with your legs especially hip checks.
The kid's a bantam...he's not going to be popping his shoulder out.

Being close to the boards is a lot different from being off the boards. When you're close to the boards, (i.e. touching them) you can get hit into the boards and push off into the opponent.

Have him hit with his shoulder and drive with his legs. If he's playing Bantam AA, he should have some decent skating skillz, so I don't think he'll have too much trouble adjusting.

Hold up, I just thought of this: Checking starts in PeeWee. Did your brother just start Hockey or what?

-Phil

PhilMerwin187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilMerwin187 View Post
The kid's a bantam...he's not going to be popping his shoulder out.

Being close to the boards is a lot different from being off the boards. When you're close to the boards, (i.e. touching them) you can get hit into the boards and push off into the opponent.

Have him hit with his shoulder and drive with his legs. If he's playing Bantam AA, he should have some decent skating skillz, so I don't think he'll have too much trouble adjusting.

Hold up, I just thought of this: Checking starts in PeeWee. Did your brother just start Hockey or what?

-Phil

In Quebec , cheking start Bantam

Old
08-12-2006, 12:31 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

the "train tracks" is always the worst. I'm sure we all know the open-ice hit can be deadly, so I'll share a few stories from when I played competitive minor league hockey...

One of my first bodycheck games in peewee (when hitting started in Alberta), I took an elbow to the gut when attempting an open-ice hit. The guy dropped int oa crouch, and lunged for my midsection. So, if you want him to avoid being sprawled on the ice, breathless, then make sure he keeps his arms low, protecting his mid-section, and lead with his shoulders...but also remember to keep a low centre of gravity. He'll make an instant impression, if he wants to play that physical Peca-style of play.

Second story was a head-to-head open ice hit. Both of us careened straight at each other, and both of us hit hard enough to topple us several feet in the opposite direction, and i sent my mouthgaurd flying, banging around in my helmet. So, get him to pay attention to angles, since head-to-head is going to hurt both parties.

That's enough of open-ice hitting...

scrums along the boards are chaotic, but there is a method to the madness. A pin is simple...don't pin the body, pin the arms. Skate in at an angle, and press the body around the elbow region. The opponet will be stuck and he can take control of the puck without moving from that position. That's a great rub-out. Oh, and keep the fists out of it, nothing good ever came out of a fist-leading bodycheck.

Taking a hit has already been covered, but hitting from behind is a no-no, for obvious reasons. I nearly broke my neck a dozen times from hit-from-behinds, both accidental and intentional. My last year of hockey alone I recieved four of them, three from the same player. So, best advice? Don't let the kid become a real jerk, and keep it professional. Once it gets personal, that's when hitting from behind becomes an issue (outside of the usual accidents).

Hopefully I've been helpful, on some level.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 01:06 AM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Buy him some iron and show him how to do squats.

Unless he's already on weight lifting regimen...then, uhm. What everyone else said.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

from personal experience checking is about the angle you take to the player.......if its open ice giving the hit make sure its shoulder.....and stay out of the trolly tracks and those "suicide passes"

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 02:39 AM
znk

OMG. I accidently stumbled on MacGyver giving a lesson on how to give bodycheks while explaining Newtonian physics!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nms_hnGw5So

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 07:42 AM
Pat

ahh, that MacGyver has an answer for everything

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Boston
Captain Chara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
In Quebec , cheking start Bantam
After those kids watch Surray try to hit, I can see why the age is up.

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 09:41 AM
MikeD

http://www.exploratorium.edu/hockey/checking1.html

interesting fields on how to calculate the energy of a check.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote