HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

work on my slapshot

Old
08-09-2006, 07:35 PM
CapsChemist

vCash: 500
work on my slapshot

Hey guys i just started playing hockey again after a while. I got my skating down allong with my stickhandling and wristshot. I play mostly pickup inline games. I cant get my slapshot down at all though. I get alright power behind it but i cant freaking lift the the puck for my life. I know about follow through but it doesnt help. I use a easton octane stick with a shannahan blade. Any help please.

CapsChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 08:11 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
If you can't lift it you're not getting "under the puck" try moving the puck back a few inches. It's really hard to know what you're doing wrong without seeing it.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

vCash: 1258
if it is one of those orange sticks use a tps rubber or response rubber stick something with lots of flex. also just shoot like crazy in your basement or something that is the best way to improve.

Freddie Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Happy Pony

Maybe working on your weight transfer..it's hard to tell what you are doing wrong without seeing your shot.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/hockey/movies/slapshot.mov

a good (but old) video of a slapshot taken with a high speed camera.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 03:19 AM
vexXed

Lifting my slapshot took me almost a year to do when I first started playing! I worked on it all the time though and now I'm well chuffed with it.

First off make sure your stance is correct. Your feet should be a bit wider than your shoulders and the puck should be level with your front skate but obviously out where you can strike it. This allows you to step in to it with your weight, adding more power. In the video above, the player is standing at a diagonal angle to the target.

In the video, note where the puck is when the stick is at a 90 degree angle after coming down from the wind up. Your head, shoulder, stick and front skate should pretty much match up in a verticle line. Pause the vid or drag the button to that point to see.

If the puck is further back from your front skate, then the blade does not get any lift under it. Also note that the player hits the ice about 4 inches behind the puck. This makes the stick bow and then adds more velocity to your shot when the puck is released. Depending on your strength and stick flex, you should experiment to see how far behind the puck you make contact with the ice.

On the come down, make sure you grip the stick tightly, hit the puck with the middle of your blade and follow through pointing the blade at your target. While shooting, your weight transfer should naturally go from your two feet, to just your front foot, hence you can see the guy lift his back foot off the ice a bit towards the end of the shot.

Another point to note is that the chest is the point where the stick pivots, you can see once you pass the vertical line (head, shoulder, stick and front skate), the top hand on the stick comes back and the bottom hand goes forward.

Hope this helps

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 12:43 PM
CapsChemist

Thx guys you have helped alot. I actually got it in the air a few times, now i just gotta do it consistintly.

Old
08-10-2006, 05:06 PM
HansonBro

try hitting the ice a little sooner. the ice will help you get the flex from the stick you need. also pay attention to your angles.

HansonBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 05:26 PM
CapsChemist

well i think im improving now but my P.O.S. Easton Octane shaft broke while i was takinga shot, sending my shannahan blade flying. The Blade is fine, the shaft has a huge crack it it. Can anyone recomened the flex i should be using? I wiegh 163 ibs.

Old
08-10-2006, 06:35 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Octane isn't exactly durable...I had one for a while there. But flex is personal preference...for instance, I'm about 145 pounds and using around a 90-95 flex. Didn't like the 80 flex of the Octane. But I've heard a solution to figuring out what flex is to divide your weight in half and you got the flex number....idk if it works, but someone told me that. Seems reasonable to me

sc37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 09:22 AM
HansonBro

flex is all personal. To be honest...breaking sticks is a good sign when your taking alot of slapshots. Shows your getting the flex. stick with the wooden sticks

Old
08-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
On the come down, make sure you grip the stick tightly, hit the puck with the middle of your blade and follow through pointing the blade at your target.
Is that standard practice? For the past couple of years I've had very few problems with my slapshot (any i had were as a result of using specific sticks) and I've always tried to initially make contact with the puck using the heel of the blade. Been taking slapshots like that as long as i can remember, partly as a result of getting some tips from teammates and partly as a result of practice and just going with what worked. Do the majority of people tend to make contact with the middle of the blade?

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:54 PM
PhilMerwin187

Send a message via AIM to PhilMerwin187
Higher flex is for stronger guys. That's why you see the big burly defensemen using 110 flex. I'm in highschool and ever since I got my 100 flex, I never went back. Lower flex sticks will get "whippy" over time - a problem that most people ditch their stick due to.

If you're not getting the puck off the ice, try a Sakic blade (not sure if they make 'em anymore). The Sakic curve is a heel curve and it tends to lift the puck more. If when you use the Sakic blade, the puck flutters in the air, you need a Modano/Forsbeg curve. Those blades have little curve, and will make the puck stay straighter in the air.

Hope that helps,

-Phil

PhilMerwin187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 11:31 PM
vexXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Is that standard practice? For the past couple of years I've had very few problems with my slapshot (any i had were as a result of using specific sticks) and I've always tried to initially make contact with the puck using the heel of the blade. Been taking slapshots like that as long as i can remember, partly as a result of getting some tips from teammates and partly as a result of practice and just going with what worked. Do the majority of people tend to make contact with the middle of the blade?
I was told when learning to take slapshots that I should hit the puck with the middle of your blade, and I'm sure I read this on an online guide too. It's just what I've been doing and it's been working well for me, but now that I think about it, my shots are always high up much to the annoyance of my forwards. I think hitting it with the heel would result in a lower shot? I'll try this in practice sometime.

I suppose it all depends on the blade type too.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 08:28 AM
HansonBro

Quote:
I was told when learning to take slapshots that I should hit the puck with the middle of your blade, and I'm sure I read this on an online guide too. It's just what I've been doing and it's been working well for me, but now that I think about it, my shots are always high up much to the annoyance of my forwards. I think hitting it with the heel would result in a lower shot? I'll try this in practice sometime.

I suppose it all depends on the blade type too.

i dont think it matters. The theory is that if/when you take your shots from the mid/toe you tend to not hit the puck squarely. By focusing on the heel of the blade it forces you to square the blade of the stick up to the puck (horizontal axis). BUT, you can shoot whichever way your comfortable as long as you know whats going on....now u know.

Theres alot of math here guys...just punch the numbers

Old
08-12-2006, 10:57 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilMerwin187 View Post
Higher flex is for stronger guys. That's why you see the big burly defensemen using 110 flex. I'm in highschool and ever since I got my 100 flex, I never went back. Lower flex sticks will get "whippy" over time - a problem that most people ditch their stick due to.

If you're not getting the puck off the ice, try a Sakic blade (not sure if they make 'em anymore). The Sakic curve is a heel curve and it tends to lift the puck more. If when you use the Sakic blade, the puck flutters in the air, you need a Modano/Forsbeg curve. Those blades have little curve, and will make the puck stay straighter in the air.

Hope that helps,

-Phil
Not always the case. A lot of your NHL shooters are using 85-90 flex sticks.

When looking at new sticks. Make sure the face of your blade is open. That will help the puck rise.

On the right hand side of this page there is a link to their blade tool. Check it out. Plenty of helpful info there.

http://www.epuck.com/webapp/wcs/stor...tegory_rn=1803

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:03 PM
subnet
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 144
I think many players actually use too stiff of a shaft and they don't get the proper flex and velocity in their shots... Your octane is/was really a POS low-end budget shaft (I have one so I can say this!). I would suggest getting something in the 85 flex range with your weight.

Check out www.modsquadhockey.com - there's a LOT of info on there and a lot of good advice and stick talk.

subnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 06:29 PM
PhilMerwin187

Send a message via AIM to PhilMerwin187
Maybe it's just because I've used an 85 flex shaft and didn't get the power I got out of the 100 flex. Again, choosing a stick is all personal preference. If you like wood sticks, buy a wood stick. Nobody's going to tell you that one stick is better for you than another if you know what you like.

PhilMerwin187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:10 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Middle of the blade is indeed where you wana make contact.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:12 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbintexas View Post
I think many players actually use too stiff of a shaft and they don't get the proper flex and velocity in their shots... Your octane is/was really a POS low-end budget shaft (I have one so I can say this!). I would suggest getting something in the 85 flex range with your weight.

Check out www.modsquadhockey.com - there's a LOT of info on there and a lot of good advice and stick talk.

I agree if a stick it too stiff I cant get it to flex properly and my slapshot is horrible.

Old
08-12-2006, 11:21 PM
znk

[QUOTE=vexXed;6267108]I was told when learning to take slapshots that I should hit the puck with the middle of your blade, and I'm sure I read this on an online guide too. It's just what I've been doing and it's been working well for me, but now that I think about it, my shots are always high up much to the annoyance of my forwards. I think hitting it with the heel would result in a lower shot? I'll try this in practice sometime.

to lower your shot you can try hitting the puck a few inches behind where you usualy hit it.

Old
08-13-2006, 09:58 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoholyca View Post
well i think im improving now but my P.O.S. Easton Octane shaft broke while i was takinga shot, sending my shannahan blade flying. The Blade is fine, the shaft has a huge crack it it. Can anyone recomened the flex i should be using? I wiegh 163 ibs.
I'm a bit lighter then you, 145 lbs. I've been using 85 flex sticks for a while now. I've been wanting to try something lower like a 77. I'm pretty happy with my 85 flex Warrior OPS. I just bought a Bauer 87 flex OPS which I have yet to try. It feels a bit stiffer, can't really tell. It's cut so it's gonna be stiffer then what it's listed at.

Your follow thru is very important. I was working on my shot a lot last year. I found I was restricting my follow thru. Once I corrected it I could see a difference in my shot.

Last edited by stick9: 08-13-2006 at 04:01 PM.
stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Everest

[QUOTE=znk;6273126]
Quote:

to lower your shot you can try hitting the puck a few inches behind where you usualy hit it.
For low trajectory on your slapshot:
1) Roll your wrists over more. Try and get the top of the blade to shade the puck a bit.
2) Follow through should go no higher than your knees.
3) When setting up your shot,make sure the puck is settled.
4) Practice these fundamentals...first standing in one spot and then while moving.
and YES its true that the toe of your blade will tend to send the puck up more than hitting the sweetspot in the middle. The heel of your blade is NOT for shooting at any time...if your fnding that the heel is where the connection point is most comforable...you may need a different lie to your stick.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 01:26 PM
72projectmgr

[QUOTE=Everest;6274881]
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post

For low trajectory on your slapshot:
1) Roll your wrists over more. Try and get the top of the blade to shade the puck a bit.
2) Follow through should go no higher than your knees.
3) When setting up your shot,make sure the puck is settled.
4) Practice these fundamentals...first standing in one spot and then while moving.
and YES its true that the toe of your blade will tend to send the puck up more than hitting the sweetspot in the middle. The heel of your blade is NOT for shooting at any time...if your fnding that the heel is where the connection point is most comforable...you may need a different lie to your stick.
Some very good suggestions: In Addition
Take your lead hand or lower hand and slide it down the shaft lower to the Floor/Ice and this small little adjustment will give you more lift-its a minor adjustment but most of the Big time goal scorers use this adjustment as a pre-set for different location shots, mostly in the high slot for a top corner slap shot. The lower you slide your glove the higher it will go, so there will be that sweet spot your looking for, you just have to find it.

72projectmgr is offline   Reply With Quote