HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was Alex Tanguay the right man for Calgary?

Old
08-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Navdeep Gill*

vCash: 500
Was Alex Tanguay the right man for Calgary?

Getting someone else was always open on the draft day, Calgary Flames could have landed some else and offered them the same or more money(which they can) than Tanguay had. Is Alex Tanguay a good fit for the the Flames, they could have had Marian Hossa(more offense than than Tanguay) or Martin Havlat(same as Hossa).

Navdeep Gill* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Whatever Man*

I think Calgarians are going to be very happy with Tanguay.

Excellent Deal.

Whatever Man* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 06:05 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navdeep Gill View Post
Getting someone else was always open on the draft day, Calgary Flames could have landed some else and offered them the same or more money(which they can) than Tanguay had. Is Alex Tanguay a good fit for the the Flames, they could have had Marian Hossa(more offense than than Tanguay) or Martin Havlat(same as Hossa).
could they have had Hossa for Leopold a 2nd and a conditional pick? link?

looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 06:53 PM
natural420*

can hossa or havlat play centre?? and are we sure we could have gotten those two...........

havlat would have been nice, but we needed a centre/someone who can play centre and thats what we got in tanguay.

i still like this deal

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Spawn

I think Tanguay will be a great fit for you guys, I doubt you could have gotten Hossa, maybe Havlat, but I donno I'd rather have Tanguay as a guy to feed Iginla then have Havlat try and do it all himself.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Realm

I think he is just what they needed!

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 02:58 AM
hexrae

Let's see when the puck drops. I think he has lots to offer and prove.

hexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 04:24 AM
motojime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post

motojime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 11:06 AM
NeonDion

Look mojotime,

I can understand that you're pissed that sutter just fleeced your new GM. However, there is no need to go around trying to knock down the value of a guy like Tanguay. He's had some good times with the Avs and he has good memories of it (For proof, see spawn.com where he approved a figurine with him in the Colorado 3rd jersey).

He's the best player that we could have gotten for Leopold and a second. Tanguay > Havlat in my mind since Havlat has yet to prove he can be clutch come playoff time. Hossa would have been nice, but I think Tanguay bring a winning attitude with him since he still remembers the glory days of Colorado. Bringing in somebody who already has that attitude,who's hungry for a cup and has cup experience is better than somebody who has to be taught a winning attitude.

NeonDion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Iginla for Mayor

as much as i like hossa (no way atl trades him for leopold and two 2nds though) and havlat i think that tanguay is a great fit. tanguay is a set up guy who can also play center. that is what they need, someone to feen iggy. havlat creates his own chances, not to mention plays the same position as iggy, so i don't think he would be as helpful to the team as tanguay.

the only guy that i would have liked to have seen over tanguay was gomez. but either way i am happy.

Iginla for Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 02:57 PM
nashnaidoo

I've never been a fan of Tanguay. I think his numbers have been artificially inflated by his situation and linemates (I know, people will say he didn't play with Sakic etc that much). Regardless, that powerful Avalanche PP and playing with two of the best centers in the past 20 years can make you look pretty good.

nashnaidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 03:05 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashnaidoo View Post
I've never been a fan of Tanguay. I think his numbers have been artificially inflated by his situation and linemates (I know, people will say he didn't play with Sakic etc that much). Regardless, that powerful Avalanche PP and playing with two of the best centers in the past 20 years can make you look pretty good.
It does pad your stats a little bit, but look at it this way. He was good enough to keep up with two of the best centers of all time. Tanguay's a great fit I think. Leopold's a bit of a loss but with Phaneuf and Hammer-they wont feel it too much, but it's def. worth the deal.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 03:27 PM
da_pope*

I can garuntee that Tanguay won't play center for more then one game.

da_pope* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 04:36 PM
ZDogg

Tanguay has been a Flame killer. That alone will improve the Flames chances. I think he was a great pickup and probably the best option available to Sutter.

ZDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Are you kidding me, he's a player that CAN SCORE!! Yeah I would say he's the right man. Frankly I don't know why Dumont isn't a Flame now, they need the Offense so damned badly.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Ad Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonDion View Post
He's the best player that we could have gotten for Leopold and a second. Tanguay > Havlat in my mind since Havlat has yet to prove he can be clutch come playoff time.
Havlat has a better PPG average over his career in the playoffs than Tanguay. Havlat was also pretty dominant in these last playoffs scoring 13pts in 10 games.

If anyone has something to prove in the playoffs it is Tanguay himself. This being said I still think Tanguay is a better fit for the flames and should compliment Iginla rather nicely.

Ad Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Shamrocks

Definitely. He will indeed spark Iginla back to a near 100 pt season.

Shamrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 01:00 AM
motojime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonDion View Post
Look mojotime,

I can understand that you're pissed that sutter just fleeced your new GM. However, there is no need to go around trying to knock down the value of a guy like Tanguay. He's had some good times with the Avs and he has good memories of it (For proof, see spawn.com where he approved a figurine with him in the Colorado 3rd jersey).

He's the best player that we could have gotten for Leopold and a second. Tanguay > Havlat in my mind since Havlat has yet to prove he can be clutch come playoff time. Hossa would have been nice, but I think Tanguay bring a winning attitude with him since he still remembers the glory days of Colorado. Bringing in somebody who already has that attitude,who's hungry for a cup and has cup experience is better than somebody who has to be taught a winning attitude.
Learn to read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm View Post
But still,
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post

motojime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 03:11 AM
Mules
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_pope View Post
I can garuntee that Tanguay won't play center for more then one game.
As a big Tangs fan, I agreed. He can't play center because he is a suspect defensively. But he was one of our best playmaker, so he would still make plays as winger.

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 09:54 AM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
As a big Tangs fan, I agreed. He can't play center because he is a suspect defensively. But he was one of our best playmaker, so he would still make plays as winger.
he's not

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:11 AM
NeonDion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Rock View Post
Havlat has a better PPG average over his career in the playoffs than Tanguay. Havlat was also pretty dominant in these last playoffs scoring 13pts in 10 games.
That's just because he played with Spezza. Most of those points came in games where Ottawa was dominant. At no one time has Havlat had a one man effort to carry the team on his back. Added to that he's a ball kicker and a notoriously dirty player.

Don't get me wrong I like Havlat, but he's exactly the reason that Ottawa was underperforming in the playoffs. The sooner they can replace Alfredsson and give the C to Redden, the better off they'll be.

Old
08-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Mules
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
he's not
You watch He will not play center for long

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 01:46 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
havlat and hossa are also both right wings, as opposed to tanguay who is a LW/C. therefore, tanguay can play with iginla, and the other two cannot

johnny cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 03:29 PM
NeonDion

I can read. Unfortunately I don't think you can. How has a guy with a Stanely cup ring and an all star nomination have "lots to prove".

Give your head a shake. Anybody with those credentials and greater than PPG production doesn't have to prove much. He just has to keep performing at his norm.

Old
08-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Qubax

I agree I think Tanguay has already proved a lot

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote