Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll on is Luongo better than Kipper?

Old
08-09-2006, 05:20 AM
hockey_genius*

vCash: 500
Poll on is Luongo better than Kipper?

I was wondering whether if luongo is better/as good/worse than kipper?

Last year, kipper definitely had the advantage of a top-notch defense to back him up. But now, Luongo has landed on a team with mediorce defensemen, who will be better?

hockey_genius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 07:55 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

Up to this point there is no contest when it comes to who is the best between the two when you base it on accomplishments.

Kipprusoff has the modern GAA record, carried Finland to a World Cup final and Calgary to the Stanley Cup Final then the division lead the next season, was nominated for the Heart trophy, won the Vezina (twice), earned himself the Jenning's title by stealing several one-goal (total, not difference) games.

Luongo is a top-tier goaltender in the NHL, hasn't had the same injury problems as Kipprusoff, been nominated for the Veznia, played for team Canada, and has been a force in helping one of the worst forward/defense rosters in the NHL have a shot at even making the playoffs.

Both are amazing and based upon previous accomplishments the better will be Kipprusoff. Of course, Luongo is more likely to stay healthy and provides a little more security than Kipprusoff will offer, and the difference can be reduced as long as Vancouver's "mediocre" defense is good at clearing the rebounds. I'd bet easily on Kipper to have better stats, but betting on either to get more Vezina votes or to be a larger impact on their team I would bet very conservatively, no matter who I picked.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraLeone View Post
Up to this point there is no contest when it comes to who is the best between the two when you base it on accomplishments.

Kipprusoff has the modern GAA record, carried Finland to a World Cup final and Calgary to the Stanley Cup Final then the division lead the next season, was nominated for the Heart trophy, won the Vezina (twice), earned himself the Jenning's title by stealing several one-goal (total, not difference) games.

Luongo is a top-tier goaltender in the NHL, hasn't had the same injury problems as Kipprusoff, been nominated for the Veznia, played for team Canada, and has been a force in helping one of the worst forward/defense rosters in the NHL have a shot at even making the playoffs.

Both are amazing and based upon previous accomplishments the better will be Kipprusoff. Of course, Luongo is more likely to stay healthy and provides a little more security than Kipprusoff will offer, and the difference can be reduced as long as Vancouver's "mediocre" defense is good at clearing the rebounds. I'd bet easily on Kipper to have better stats, but betting on either to get more Vezina votes or to be a larger impact on their team I would bet very conservatively, no matter who I picked.
Kipper was nominated for the vezina twice, won it once.

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 09:46 AM
DeathFromAbove

Kipper > Luongo

Luongo is the most overrated goalie in the world right now.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDFA View Post
Kipper > Luongo

I agree with this post 100%!

It's going to be more of the same when it comes to Louie, the defense getting blamed for his shortcomings. I don't hate Luongo, I just think he's overhyped, and WAY overpaid.

08-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDFA View Post
Kipper > Luongo

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Laus723
Future Now

I love Kipper and love what's he's done for and with the Flames. Would much rather have Kipper, hands down, over Luongo. I'm very glad Louie's gone, don't hate him, but I'm glad he's gone.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Mace_37

Luongo faces the most shots in the league year after year. And GAA is relevant to how good your defence is. I think that Luongo's the better goalie and now that he's on a more competitive team I think it'll show a lot more.

Mace_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:33 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

It's not really fair to compare the two until you see what Luongo can do on a more competitive team.

Since he's signed long term with the Canucks, you'll have to keep waiting.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace_37 View Post
Luongo faces the most shots in the league year after year. And GAA is relevant to how good your defence is. I think that Luongo's the better goalie and now that he's on a more competitive team I think it'll show a lot more.
, ever see his rebound control?? He generates many of those SOG's himself. This is his 3rd team, the defense isn't that much better, it'll be more of the same.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Kipper is the best goalie in NHL, so no.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 11:04 AM
LUONGO

kipprusoff is the better goalie, possiblly the best in the NHL, but luongo is also a top notch goaltender.

LUONGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Bring Back Krajicek*

Kipper, hands down.

Bring Back Krajicek* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 12:39 PM
west in the east

I'll agree on Kipper.

As far as Luongo being overrated, I think so many people have said this that hes become underrated. I think he is a top 3-4 keeper in the league, but he does have to prove himself this year to squash his doubters.

west in the east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Agent007

I think this would be a better topic after this next season. I want to see how good this Luongo really will be in a Vancouver uniform this season. Now that hes out of Florida and hes the highest paid player on the team hes got to be NUMBER ONE on this team.

I want to see how he preforms with a top 3 of Mitchell Salo and Ohlund on the blueline. This team might not have as much goal scoring but when your goalie takes up 6.75 million dollars out of the cap then its tough to have 6 all stars scoring goals.

We'll see how he comes out and plays if he wants to be paid 6.75 million dollars per season then he better play like the best paid goalie in the NHL and carry this team.

I think after this season it'll be a better debate about who is better Luongo or Kipper??

As far as right now goes i love Kipper but you cant sit there and tell me that Kipper would be the same as he was in Calgary if he played for Florida. Calgary as a team has great team defence and their blueline is full of studs.

No doubt about it if you put Kipper in Florida he doesn't win the Vezina.

Not trying to take anything away from Kipper here hes just AMAZING ive seen him real close at Canucks games and wow just LOVE how he plays, but my point is that this Calgary team plays GREAT infront of him defensively as well and they just seem to have more confidence with Kipper in the net.

Kipper makes the few big saves he has to and this Calgary team gets energized by that.

All in all i think if Kipper had played in Florida his numbers wouldnt be anywhere close to where they are right now. Perhaps his save % would still be high but that's about it.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 01:43 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvcanucks007 View Post
I think this would be a better topic after this next season. .
Why?

Why not then in two seasons, why not in three seasons?

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Tact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
, ever see his rebound control?? He generates many of those SOG's himself. This is his 3rd team, the defense isn't that much better, it'll be more of the same.
I think you're just still mad that Mike Keenan traded your franchise goaltender that is entering his prime for:

-An underachieving, lazy, overpaid, nutcase powerforward that has one good season under his belt and who is also declining on his career and probably never score 30+ goals again...

-A bust defencemen who was projected to be the next 'Chris Pronger'. 4th overall? Ha.

-A goaltender who was forced into the wolves in the Calgary vs. Vancouver series in 03/04 and after that he wasn't the same goaltender who looked so good in his first 15 or so NHL games in spot starts. On the Moose, he struggled to maintain the starting job to Flaherty and eventually lost it. A goalie who seemed so solid technically had his fivehole exposed against Calgary and numerous other problems plagued him this year. Rebound control, flexibility, puck handling, durability, and his fivehole are all concerns. Then last year when starting netminder Dan Cloutier went down in an injury, Auld took over to play a full 67 games in his rookie season. Auld looked horrible when playing the 2nd half of back to back games, let alone potentially his 80th game of the season. Therefore, I'm not saying it's his fault but he was rushed into his developement. Where you can see other top netminders like Brodeur or Roy who only played 47 games in their first two seasons in their career. Now Auld has been rushed and was outworked (will probably be outworked next year too) in the NHL -- will never be the same goalie who he was once projected to be.

All that being said...

Last season, the Panthers played very well down the stretch. They seemed like a team that was ready to take the next step this year. They still have a bunch of good young players to go along with some seasoned vets. But, without Luongo, that next step seems an awful lot bigger than it was just a few months ago.

Don't worry Laus723, I feel your pain. And trust me, you'll know what I am talking about when the season starts.

Last edited by Tact: 08-09-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Tact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Attica

Send a message via MSN to Attica
I would have to say, for the last 2 season, Kipper. But Kipper has really only been around for 2 years, Luongo has been around quite a bit longer, and has never played on a competative team.

Having this poll on a flames board is a joke, of course people are going to say Kipper, they're flames fans. For the last 2 seasons, Kipper has been outright flattered by the strong defensive play of his team, Calgary's defense-first system contributes to the complete OVERRATING of Kipper. I can't say who is better, but like clockwork you can see the flames fans screaming that Luongo is overrated, as soon as he's a Canuck. Funny how that works. There are a few of you that give your fanbase a really bad name, you know who you are.

Attica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Tact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attica View Post
I would have to say, for the last 2 season, Kipper. But Kipper has really only been around for 2 years, Luongo has been around quite a bit longer, and has never played on a competative team.

Having this poll on a flames board is a joke, of course people are going to say Kipper, they're flames fans. For the last 2 seasons, Kipper has been outright flattered by the strong defensive play of his team, Calgary's defense-first system contributes to the complete OVERRATING of Kipper. I can't say who is better, but like clockwork you can see the flames fans screaming that Luongo is overrated, as soon as he's a Canuck. Funny how that works. There are a few of you that give your fanbase a really bad name, you know who you are.
Yup. Some people here are talking out of their *****.

Especially, Laus723 who thinks Luongo is overrated.

Although, I like Auld -- he's going to see a very big difference between the two. Downgrading in goal is not always the best thing to do.

Old
08-09-2006, 03:08 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Luongo sucks because he is a Canuck, and as a Panther fan I hate him even though he carried our team for three years. I realize he burned some bridges leaving but don't be immature.

If anyone knows anything about hockey, the obvious choice is Kiprusoff. More proven, more consistent, etc. But stop the Luongo trashing and try and grow up, the guy has never been on a good team and I think we should reserve judgement..

I mean a little over 3 years ago Kipper was floating around as the 3rd goalie in San Jose... give a guy an opportunity to prove his worth and good things happen.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attica View Post
Having this poll on a flames board is a joke, of course people are going to say Kipper, they're flames fans.
How is it any different then the thread on the canucks board asking where the canucks will "realistically" finish next season? Of course all the canucks fans will say the canucks will finish higher then they probably will, please go post this same comment there so i don't have to call you a hypocrit.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 03:14 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

if this poll was on the canucks board, my answer would still be Kiprusoff....

he's the reining Vezina winner, and currently the best goalie in the league... Luongo needs to prove himself before being considered with those same accolades.

I really couldn't care less that Luongo has been on a worse defensive team, or whatever... bottom line is that Kiprusoff has proven himself to currently being the best in the league... and until someone else proves otherwise, the answer to the poll question should be obvious.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 03:15 PM
DeveinedPgBc

right now kipper.vancouver is switching to a much more defensive style (thanx for showing us the light flamers) and will be greatly improved in the "competitive" department.with a determined team in front of him (like the flames) luongo could be the next brodeur.hopefully we get a cup out of the deal, that would make everything ok. then none of this will matter to canucks fans(for a couple years)

DeveinedPgBc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 03:33 PM
bigjags*

Kipper is the best goalie on the planet. Luongo is top 10.

What a ridiculas comparison.

bigjags* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Tact

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletchley View Post
Kipper is the best goalie on the planet. Luongo is top 10.

What a ridiculas comparison.
That's a ridiculous comparison?