HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

18 years ago...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2006, 03:02 PM
  #1
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,741
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
18 years ago...

Quote:
On August 9, 1988, in a move that drastically changed the dynamics of the NHL, Wayne Gretzky was traded with Marty McSorley and Mike Krushelnyski by the Oilers to the Los Angeles Kings for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, $15 million cash, and the Kings' first-round draft picks in 1989 (Jason Soules) , 1991 (Tyler Wright), and 1993 (Jason Arnott). "The Trade," as it came to be known, upset Canadians to the extent that New Democratic Party House Leader Nelson Riis demanded the government to block it, and Pocklington was burned in effigy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Gretzky

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 03:09 PM
  #2
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
If it wasn't for this I would have probably never gotten into hockey.

And, ironically, August 9th is my birthday.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 03:35 PM
  #3
Fripp
Registered User
 
Fripp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 1,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
If it wasn't for this I would have probably never gotten into hockey.
Same here. Probably the only thing that could have brought any kind of hockey spotlight to southern california. Its not a coincidence my first season watching the kings was 88-89.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 04:13 PM
  #4
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Good times.......good times.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 04:40 PM
  #5
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripp View Post
Same here. Probably the only thing that could have brought any kind of hockey spotlight to southern california. Its not a coincidence my first season watching the kings was 88-89.
I didn't start watching hockey until many, many years later, but Gretzky probably had something to do with me starting to play hockey videogames (Blades of Steel, in particular) in 88-89, without which I would've never eventually graduated to actually watching and following hockey

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 05:48 PM
  #6
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I didn't start watching hockey until many, many years later, but Gretzky probably had something to do with me starting to play hockey videogames (Blades of Steel, in particular) in 88-89, without which I would've never eventually graduated to actually watching and following hockey
So you are actually a rookie posing as the "experienced" hockey analyst? I feel so used.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 06:24 PM
  #7
GRuiz98
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Agoura Hills
Country: United States
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GRuiz98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
(Blades of Steel, in particular)
that game was the ****!!! i remember playing that for hours.

GRuiz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 06:45 PM
  #8
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,133
vCash: 500
Jeez I was 6 when that deal happened. Back then I was into the Magic Johnson, James Worthy "Showtime" Lakers era. Then some Gretzky guy came to LA and I (along with my classmates) started playing street hockey. Those were the days, when I didn't really understand (or care) about the business of sports. I just cared if the Kings won or lost and how they did in the playoffs.

I didn't have cable then so I'd stay up watching the 10PM news for Stu Nahan to come on KTLA Channel 5. KTLA also would televise a handful of games during the regular season. My other source of Kings (and NHL) news was the LA Times. Man, it is scary to think where would we be without the internet...

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 06:51 PM
  #9
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
So you are actually a rookie posing as the "experienced" hockey analyst? I feel so used.
Haha. I've never "posed" as anything. The fact that you thought me more "experienced" than I am is proof that I know what I'm talking about (usually), so who cares if it took me 10 years or 30 years to learn it? Some of us can just pick things up faster than others

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:25 PM
  #10
ILuvLA
Registered User
 
ILuvLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lost in LA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
This thread makes me feel old for some strange reason. Time goes by wayyy too quickly.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:50 PM
  #11
Big Daddy
Registered User
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 841
vCash: 500
Not to mention the effect his move has had on California kids. We are starting to see some top end talent in the WHL coming from California. The next couple of years everyone will see kids in the NHL draft who claim California as home. Hopefully they will compete for spots in the AHL and NHL.

To name a few drafted or future draft picks:
Brian Salcido
Jason Beeman
Ray Macias
Tim Kraus
Joey Perricone
Rhett Rakshani
Cameron Cepak
TJ Miller
Jon Blum
Shane Harper
CJ Stretch
Colin Long
Ryan Letts
Mitch Wahl

Just to name a few of the better kids

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 11:44 PM
  #12
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
I must be the last holdout who can't stand Gretzky.

He was great for hockey, but terrible for the Kings

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 11:48 PM
  #13
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
I never understood the Gretzky hatters.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 11:51 PM
  #14
willie
Registered User
 
willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I must be the last holdout who can't stand Gretzky.

He was great for hockey, but terrible for the Kings
I completely agree.

Although I must add that Gretzky going to the Kings is the only reason I'm posting here. He became my favourite player watching him as a baby in Edmonton and him getting traded to Los Angeles - unfortunately - turned me on to the Kings. Actually, perhaps my earliest memory is Wayne blubbering like a baby at the press conference.

Though I can't say I hate Gretzky, I do find him to be quite the ******. And he was a much better hockey player than he is an executive or coach.

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 12:23 AM
  #15
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I never understood the Gretzky hatters.
I'll assume you mean HATERS

I guess you had to be there. Gretzky was famous for his whining and moaning to the refs - when with Edmonton, he was the player you loved to hate (but paid to watch).

In some respects, the Kings are just now getting over the Gretzky trade - if it had paid off with Stanley Cups, it would have been acceptable, but since the Kings were below .500 with Gretzky....

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 01:00 AM
  #16
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,133
vCash: 500
The Kings were trading away 1st round picks loooong before Gretzky set foot in LA. And the Kings NEVER sold out a season opener until 1988 against the Red Wings when Wayne made his debut.

Were the Kings going to be better without Gretzky? I doubt it.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 01:03 AM
  #17
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,741
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I'll assume you mean HATERS

I guess you had to be there. Gretzky was famous for his whining and moaning to the refs - when with Edmonton, he was the player you loved to hate (but paid to watch).

In some respects, the Kings are just now getting over the Gretzky trade - if it had paid off with Stanley Cups, it would have been acceptable, but since the Kings were below .500 with Gretzky....
We also wouldn't have beaten Toronto in 93 if it wasn't for Gretzky....

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 01:06 AM
  #18
HoustonHockeyNut
Registered User
 
HoustonHockeyNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 437
vCash: 500
The trade came literally the day after my family moved from CA to KS. The timing was pretty hard on my dad, an avid Kings fan. I don't remember much from the move, but I do remember that.

HoustonHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 01:12 AM
  #19
willie
Registered User
 
willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
We also wouldn't have beaten Toronto in 93 if it wasn't for Gretzky....
Yeah but was 1 finals appearance worth it from an on-ice perspective?

I suppose if you look at how dismal the franchise 'generally' was prior to Gretzky's arrival (0/21), 1 finals appearance might actually be acceptable. But they gave up a lot of talent to bring him and his buddies in and I'd have to think they would fared at least as well during those years if they hadn't traded for him.

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 01:17 AM
  #20
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,741
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
Yeah but was 1 finals appearance worth it from an on-ice perspective?

I suppose if you look at how dismal the franchise 'generally' was prior to Gretzky's arrival (0/21), 1 finals appearance might actually be acceptable. But they gave up a lot of talent to bring him and his buddies in and I'd have to think they would fared at least as well during those years if they hadn't traded for him.
A lot of talent? Carson was good as a Kings but exactly the type of guy to give up for Gretzky. Gelinas turned into a career 3rd liner, Jason Soules (who?), Tyler Wright ended up as another 3rd liner, Arnott was a tough one to swallow, but who's to say that the Kings would've even taken him had they kept that pick. To me what they gave up was minimal compared to what they got in return.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 01:17 AM
  #21
willie
Registered User
 
willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,977
vCash: 500
And - hey - here's an interesting hypothetical. Let's say this Malkin business turns into a bigger fiasco and - for one reason or another - Pittsburgh trades him.

And let's say the package looks like this:

to PIT --- O'Sullivan, Kopitar, Brown, Visnovsky, Petiot
to LOS --- Malkin, Gonchar

Or some such exorbitant price.

Would you make the deal?

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 01:19 AM
  #22
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
And the Kings NEVER sold out a season opener until 1988 against the Red Wings when Wayne made his debut.
...and what happened to the 1989 season opener? It wasn't a sellout either.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 06:52 AM
  #23
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
And - hey - here's an interesting hypothetical. Let's say this Malkin business turns into a bigger fiasco and - for one reason or another - Pittsburgh trades him.

And let's say the package looks like this:

to PIT --- O'Sullivan, Kopitar, Brown, Visnovsky, Petiot
to LOS --- Malkin, Gonchar

Or some such exorbitant price.

Would you make the deal?
That trade is not even close to being comparable to the Gretzky trade.

Gretzky = Greatest player of all time.

Gretzky was perhaps the most dominant athlete in the world at the time. He had already set numerous records, was a four time Stanley Cup champion, had won league MVP 8 times, and had won the scoring title 7 times. Not to mention he put up four 200 point seasons. He achived all this in only 9 NHL seasons.

Malkin, on the other hand, is a good looking prospect that alot of people are very high on. Big difference.

Gretzky + McSorley is not in anyway comparable to Malkin + Gonchar.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 04:17 PM
  #24
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
That trade is not even close to being comparable to the Gretzky trade.

Gretzky = Greatest player of all time.

Gretzky was perhaps the most dominant athlete in the world at the time. He had already set numerous records, was a four time Stanley Cup champion, had won league MVP 8 times, and had won the scoring title 7 times. Not to mention he put up four 200 point seasons. He achived all this in only 9 NHL seasons.

Malkin, on the other hand, is a good looking prospect that alot of people are very high on. Big difference.

Gretzky + McSorley is not in anyway comparable to Malkin + Gonchar.
I agree with you 100% on this one. Comparing the best NHL player all-time to a guy who has never even played 1 NHL game is absurd.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 05:58 PM
  #25
Tadite
Registered User
 
Tadite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
And - hey - here's an interesting hypothetical. Let's say this Malkin business turns into a bigger fiasco and - for one reason or another - Pittsburgh trades him.

And let's say the package looks like this:

to PIT --- O'Sullivan, Kopitar, Brown, Visnovsky, Petiot
to LOS --- Malkin, Gonchar

Or some such exorbitant price.

Would you make the deal?

No.

Malkin isn't worth two projected top-6 players (maybe even 1st liners!).

Now if it was AO or Crosby....

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.