HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Defectors

Old
08-10-2006, 04:28 AM
EmersonBeatemEtem
Watcha gonna do!!!!

vCash: 500
Defectors

I have a question. I am a Pens fan and now that it looks like Malkin wont be coming over this season. I keep hearing the word "defector" being thrown around. I remember this term was first applied to Peter and Anton Stastny if I remember correctly. But the question I have, is what is the big deal about being labeled a defector anyway? The only thing I can think of that might come close to this (I could be wrong though) would be in the world of professional wrestling when WWF wrestlers would jump ship to WCW, and burn whatever bridges they had with the WWF. Lex Luger was a prime example of this. He walked out on the WWF, was working with them on a handshake deal, and showed up in WCW literally a day after working with the WWF.

Anyway, not to make this a wrestling thread, but would this be about the same thing if Malkin were to say "screw russia, I'm coming to the NHL" and just walk away like that?

EmersonBeatemEtem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:30 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by marillion-fan View Post
I have a question. I am a Pens fan and now that it looks like Malkin wont be coming over this season. I keep hearing the word "defector" being thrown around. I remember this term was first applied to Peter and Anton Stastny if I remember correctly. But the question I have, is what is the big deal about being labeled a defector anyway? The only thing I can think of that might come close to this (I could be wrong though) would be in the world of professional wrestling when WWF wrestlers would jump ship to WCW, and burn whatever bridges they had with the WWF. Lex Luger was a prime example of this. He walked out on the WWF, was working with them on a handshake deal, and showed up in WCW literally a day after working with the WWF.

Anyway, not to make this a wrestling thread, but would this be about the same thing if Malkin were to say "screw russia, I'm coming to the NHL" and just walk away like that?

Fedorov got out of Russia that way, but that was when they were a bit more oppressive.

Malkin is having one of two things happening

1.He is staying completly of his own volition and is not under any duress

or

2. He is being threatened or coerced into staying.

Either way, the fact that guys like AO got over to the NHL without to much hassle means as long as he's patent and follows proper channels, he should be able to as well.Eventually.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:48 AM
MassiveHabs

Send a message via AIM to MassiveHabs
I would imagine the only thing that would really happen is he would be in violation of his contract...I doubt the russians hunt people down and execute them in the square much any more

MassiveHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
unless he's got military service or something, i don't think he's going to have to sneak out of the country in a fishing boat or anything

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 12:26 PM
SML

I havent heard that word used in awhile. I think it's out of it's original context if you hear it now. Back in the Stastny days, the teams in Europe, minus swedes and finns, wouldn't let their players leave. It didn't matter how much money they could make. Russian players were "soldiers" in the Red Army, and played for their team. If they left, they were considered AWOL and subject to punishment under their military codes. THose guys who did leave anyway had some brass ones. I always think of Petr Nedved, a guy whose heart and soul have been questioned during his career, literally pulling a cloak and dagger move during a junior tournament in Canada to get away. It makes me laugh that we can challenge his committment and love for the game when he gambled his whole life as a 17 year old kid and walked away from his friends, family, and everyone he knew, never knowing if he would see any of them again.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 12:33 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I always think of Petr Nedved, a guy whose heart and soul have been questioned during his career, literally pulling a cloak and dagger move during a junior tournament in Canada to get away. It makes me laugh that we can challenge his committment and love for the game when he gambled his whole life as a 17 year old kid and walked away from his friends, family, and everyone he knew, never knowing if he would see any of them again.
Heh, the tournament was in Calgary that year, I remember about how the media were talking about him as if he a littl boy.Which, I guess, under the cicumstances he sorta was. At the time, tho, I was like, 'thats no little boy, he's older than I am!"

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote