HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

HF Podcast - Michael Santos

Old
08-10-2006, 05:35 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
HF Podcast - Michael Santos

From http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=279421

Listening to it now.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 05:49 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Good interview and worth listening to.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 12:19 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Good interview and worth listening to.
Describe it to me. My company has the link blocked.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 12:27 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Describe it to me. My company has the link blocked.
well, michael speaks in a rather husky baritone, with just a seasoning of a midwest accent...kevin is speaking clearly, while michael sounds like he's on a phone of some sort...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 12:32 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
well, michael speaks in a rather husky baritone, with just a seasoning of a midwest accent...kevin is speaking clearly, while michael sounds like he's on a phone of some sort...
What about the tone and pace of the conversation?

Old
08-10-2006, 12:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
What about the tone and pace of the conversation?

anyway,

1. Blake Geoffrion\The Draft- hard not to have a first round pick, but team felt it was worth it, happy they got a guy they had rated very highly. specifically mentioned how great it is from a marketing standpoint to pick a local boy.

2. Niko Snellman - can't wait to see him on a line with Jordin Tootoo, makes 5 or 6 huge hits every shift, opposing teams have to be aware when he's on the ice

3. Kevin Klein - Santos doesn't know much about him because he's "new," but from what he knows, plays a steady, mistake free game, more defense than offense. Will be given a chance to compete for a job.

4. Shea Weber- a full time spot isn't a GIVEN, but Shea has the inside track

5. Ryan Parent - will almost certainly play in junior this year (duh)

6. Alexander Radulov - thinks his style will easily translate to the NHL because of the speed of his decision making. doesn't think being in juniors hampered him last year. could easily find himself in the top six this year

7. Pekka Rinne - really excited about his potential, wants to see him in a fulltime role this year, steal at his draft position. Was asked about Brian Finley, Santos politely brushed off the question.

8. feels that the defense will be young, but emphasizes the 'throw caution to the wind' style the preds play that emphasizes puck moving, and reminds that vokoun is a great goaltender and will make up for mistakes by the d-- i read this as...expect more of the style we played last year, homerun passes and such.

Old
08-10-2006, 12:52 PM
handtrick

I also got the feeling that they fully expect Radulov to make the team very early, if not, right out of camp.....and be an impact player sooner rather than later this season.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 12:59 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
I also got the feeling that they fully expect Radulov to make the team very early, if not, right out of camp.....and be an impact player sooner rather than later this season.
Did you get the same feeling as nmk with regards to the system we'll run next year (i.e. emphasizing high-risk, high-reward passing as opposed to utilizing team speed)?

Old
08-10-2006, 01:08 PM
handtrick

Actually....no.
I thought by "opening it up" he meant to utilize team speed more and press the attack taking some pressure off the young d-men by trying to keep the puck more in the opposing team's defensive zone......

Old
08-10-2006, 01:12 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Actually....no.
I thought by "opening it up" he meant to utilize team speed more and press the attack taking some pressure off the young d-men by trying to keep the puck more in the opposing team's defensive zone......
yes...but.he specifically mentioned needing to rely on vokoun as a result of the style we play..which was the case last year...

Old
08-10-2006, 01:16 PM
handtrick

Quote:
yes...but.he specifically mentioned needing to rely on vokoun as a result of the style we play..which was the case last year...
I thought that was in reference to the young defense....

Old
08-10-2006, 01:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I thought that was in reference to the young defense....
and, quote,

"the throw-caution-to-the-wind style we play"

Old
08-10-2006, 01:28 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I thought caution was Trotz middle name.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 02:00 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I thought caution was Trotz middle name.
That throwing caution to the wind is too vague and misleading. With Trotz, he always throws caution up wind so that it returns right back to him after a few seconds.

Old
08-10-2006, 02:25 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

The next time we play wideopen might be the first. That was my problem with this past team, we had the skill to play wideopen and really take it to the other team offensively yet we sat back and waited for conterattacks.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If Trotz does the same thing he did last year, we will lose in 5 or 6 again, and only win the games that certain players are able to do themselves (See Vokoun in Game 3/4 against the Wings and Paul Kariya in Game 1 against the Sharks).

08-10-2006, 04:24 PM
handtrick

Quote:
and, quote,

"the throw-caution-to-the-wind style we play"
I finally got a chance to relisten to it.
From 10:50 -11:50 he is talking directly about the young blueliners when the statement in question was made.

Here is the adjacent context:
"I think we got a very strong future on the blueline. We have have some experience up front and with the up-tempo type game we will play and our players on the blueline, eventhough they are young, will fit right in and will lend nicely to it. I think you will see some exciting hockey games where we will throw-caution-to-the-wind and rely on the strong goaltending that we have in Tomas."

Draw your own conclusions on what he meant.....I stand by my first interpretation.

I also found it interesting that he said to look for them to stock up on draft picks for the next two drafts to "restock the cupboards" with all the prospects stepping up to the NHL.
How, in fact, does he expect to acquire those draft picks?.....they don't come for free or grow on trees, ya know....

Old
08-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
How, in fact, does he expect to acquire those draft picks?.....they don't come for free or grow on trees, ya know....
Maybe we were deal some of the guys that we haven't brought over....but I doubt they will bring much in return. Who knows how we will do it.

I thought we were at our best last year when we did rely heavily on Vokoun and threw "caution to the wind." This style of game played to our strengths last year, and I am not sure that the scoring chances against were that much different. The passive game style that we tended to use did not play to our strengths, and it seemed like opposing teams would steal eat us up in our own zone.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Glen Erickson
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I finally got a chance to relisten to it.
From 10:50 -11:50 he is talking directly about the young blueliners when the statement in question was made.

Here is the adjacent context:
"I think we got a very strong future on the blueline. We have have some experience up front and with the up-tempo type game we will play and our players on the blueline, eventhough they are young, will fit right in and will lend nicely to it. I think you will see some exciting hockey games where we will throw-caution-to-the-wind and rely on the strong goaltending that we have in Tomas."

Draw your own conclusions on what he meant.....I stand by my first interpretation.

I also found it interesting that he said to look for them to stock up on draft picks for the next two drafts to "restock the cupboards" with all the prospects stepping up to the NHL.
My sense of the 'context' of Santos' comment is that the young prospects on defense have, and will continue to develop, the ability to play more of an offensive role than what the club has seen in past seasons. But I certainly don't see him suggesting there will be a philosophical shift in Nashville...

Last edited by Glen Erickson: 08-14-2006 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling error
Glen Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 06:49 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i already like this guy...from the interview with poile, it sounds like SANTOS called Dumont's agent and got the ball rolling. Nice to hear some proactivity on his part.