HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

The NorthWest division has the top 5 goaltenders in the League.

Old
08-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Navdeep Gill*

vCash: 500
The NorthWest division has the top 5 goaltenders in the League.

The Northwest division will not only be the hardest division but it will have world class Goalies. Calgary Flames have Miikka Kiprusoff, the Vancouver Canucks have Roberto Luongo, The Colorado Avalanche with Jose Theodore and the wild gave the Edmonton Oilers their starting guy in Dwayne Roloson, but the Minnesota Wild still have Manny Fernandez. With these 5 guys it will be mighty hard to score. Will they all make the playoffs?

Navdeep Gill* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

The Northwest has very good goaltending, but "top five in the league" is a stretch at best.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
3 of the top 5 with a wildcard in Theodore perhaps.

But Roloson is no top 5 and Broduer can't be forgotten about in NJ. Strongest goaltending in any division by far.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny__K View Post
3 of the top 5 with a wildcard in Theodore perhaps.

But Roloson is no top 5 and Broduer can't be forgotten about in NJ. Strongest goaltending in any division by far.
what about the Pacific??

Turco, Nabakov, Giguere, Joseph and Cloutier

and behind Nabakov and Giguere are 2 possible starting ready goaltenders in Bryzgalov and Toskala... but IMO 4 of those 5 are better than Rolosson or Fernanadez... and are usually better than THeodore

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 07:49 PM
DreamCatcher*

Cloutier

Giguere

Joseph

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 08:25 PM
pwallll

Dont get carried away. Luongo & Kiprusoff are world class. But Theodore, Roloson, and Fernandez are just solid No.1's, not world class.

I actually can see that whole division making the playoffs. Each team made great improvements over the summer. The Central division isnt that great, Nashville and Detroit are the only competetive teams. The Pacific is good but those teams havent improved as much as the Northwest. Lets just say that this will be an interesting division next season.

pwallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 08:31 PM
HoustonHockeyNut

All 5 teams will be good enough to make the playoffs, but the fact that they all play each other 8 times every year will probably keep 2 of them out.

HoustonHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
Cloutier

Giguere

Joseph
Giggy has a conn-smythe under his belt... Joseph was solid last season and was the best wing in the 03-04 playoffs... Cloutier played in the goalie graveyard called vancouver... i'm gonna laugh so hard if he has a good season

Old
08-10-2006, 10:08 PM
E65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Cloutier played in the goalie graveyard called vancouver... i'm gonna laugh so hard if he has a good season
If he doesn't get injured this year, you can bank on it.

E65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Bank Shot

Roloson and Fernandez are under-rated because they played for Minnesota for the last few years.

Put them on teams somebody actually cares about for the last 3 years and everyone would be raving about them.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Hunter74

I don't think tge North West Division has the best goaltending. The best goaltender yes(Kiprusoff) but not the top 5 in the NHL.

IMHO there are still question marks with Luongo and wether he is better than he was on a bad team or was he just an average goalie there. He has something to prove, nothing huge but something. Theodore has alot to prove aswell as it almost looks like he may be washed up compared to what he used to be. Maybe Theo isn't elite anymore but just average and on par with Fernandez who outplayed Roloson in Minnesota but we'll see what Rollo does this year with that defense infront of him.

I think the Central Division should be getting alittle more respect than they have as a couple of the weak teams look like they ahve improved by either young guys getting older or adding new players. My impression of their lineups but obviously lineups change dramatically but heres what they might look like on opening night.

Impact players
Rookies
Comeback players

2006-07 Predators Roster (It will be interesting to see how the young defensemen hold up over the year. Great young defensemen but unproven.)
1st) Kariya Arnott Erat
2nd) Sullivan Legwand Fiddler
2nd) Hartnell Vacisek Radulov
4th) Hordichuk Smithson Upshall

1st) Timonen - Hamhuis(RFA)
2nd) Zidlicky - Suter
3rd) Weber - Klein
7th) Parent

1st) Vokoun
2nd) Mason
Spares: Tootoo, Pivko, Classen,Yonkman

2006-07 Blues Roster (This team has upgraded alot and a healthy Jackman is gonna go along way.)
1st) Tkachuk Weight Guerin
2nd) Rucinsky Cajanek Stempniak
2nd) Orszagh McClement Mayers
4th) Johnson Hinote Drake

1st) Brewer McKee
2nd) Backman Jackman
3rd) Wideman Salvador
7th) Walker

1st) Legace
2nd) Bacashihua
Spares: Woywitka, Glumac, Shishkanov Sanford

2006-07 Hawks Roster (Again another team that has improved this off season and should be better as there youth get better.)
1st) Handzus Ruutu(RFA) Havlat
2nd) Bourque Smolinski Vrbata
2nd) St Pierre Arkhipov Sharp
4th) Bochenski Holmqvist Lapoint

1st) Seabrook Aucoin
2nd) Keith Barker
3rd) Cullimore Vandermeer
7th) Richmond, Wisniewski

1st) Khabibulin
2nd) Lalime
Spares: MacDonald, Fraser, Blunden

2006-07 Blue Jackets Roster (Sooner or later Nash, Zherdev and the rest are gonna break out as a team.)
1st) Nash Fedorov Zherdev(RFA)
2nd) Modin Brule Vyborney
2nd) Chimera Svitov Fristchie(RFA)
4th) Shelley Malholtra Balastik(RFA)

1st) Berard Foote
2nd) Klesla Hainsey
3rd) Westcott Johnson
7th) Erickson, Tollefsen

1st) Leclaire
2nd) Conklin
Spares) Picard, Lindstrom, Goertzen

2006-07 Red Wings Roster (I think they have become weaker this year and the divisional competition has become stronger which could be a double whammy for the Wings.)
1st) Zetterberg Datsyuk - Samuelsson
2nd) Holmstrom Lang Hudler(RFA)
2nd) Franzen(RFA) Williams Cleary
4th) Maltby Draper Mowers

1st) Lidstrom Schnieder
2nd) Kronwal Lilja
3rd) Chelios Markov
7th) Lebda, Meech

1st) Hasek
2nd) Osgood
Spares: Kopecky, Filppula, Bootland

I am not saying the Central Division is gonna be the strongest division but they aren't gonna be the easy points they seemed to be last season.

The Pacific Division looks pretty strong. I actually feel as though a couple of the teams in the North West Division became weaker. Oilers lose Pronger Avs lose Blake and Canucks lose alot of players that have yet to be replaced by anyone significant other than Luongo and Mitchelle.

Hunter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 10:23 PM
vbet*

Best 5 is a stretch. But it will be very difficult to score in the division. Offense will be a premium.

I would be really scared of Calgary if you guy picked up sykora or dumont. I really think you guys are 1 forward away from greatness.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 10:27 PM
NassauIsles82*

Dipietro/Lundqvist/Niitymaki/Fleury

Atlantic= best youngest division with goaltending, and could possibly be argued as the best when you add Marty B and Esche in the mix. But yes, right now, NW is holding it down with a strong top 3.

NassauIsles82* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:10 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navdeep Gill View Post
The Northwest division will not only be the hardest division but it will have world class Goalies. Calgary Flames have Miikka Kiprusoff, the Vancouver Canucks have Roberto Luongo, The Colorado Avalanche with Jose Theodore and the wild gave the Edmonton Oilers their starting guy in Dwayne Roloson, but the Minnesota Wild still have Manny Fernandez. With these 5 guys it will be mighty hard to score. Will they all make the playoffs?
Yeah. Manny Fernandez is better than Martin Brodeur or Thomas Vokoun. Sure. You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how ignorant or incorrect it might be. Fernandez ahead of Brodeur. Too funny. Manny Fernandez: good NHL goaltender. Martin Brodeur: top 50 player in NHL history, future HHOFer, three-time Stanley Cup champion, all-star the last three seasons. Hmmm, who would you rather have?

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Gunner8811

Quote:
Originally Posted by E65 View Post
If he doesn't get injured this year, you can bank on it.
Ya you can bank on it......just make sure you withdrawl all your money before the playoffs start. Never won a big game he's ever played in.

Gunner8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:20 AM
natural420*

the only goalies even worth mentioning at this point are kiprusoff and luongo, theodore if he has a good season could be regarded at the same point he was a few years ago. roloson, never. fernandez needs to have a couple stellar seasons to even be considered top 5. both goalies in my mind arent even top 10 in the league.

in no particular order, just better then fernandez/roloson

kiprusoff
luongo
brodeur
lundquist
huet
miller
turco
theodore
vokoun
ward maybe
hell, a healthy hasek is still better. well maybe not.

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner8811 View Post
Ya you can bank on it......just make sure you withdrawl all your money before the playoffs start. Never won a big game he's ever played in.
he had to have won some big games he's played in if he won a memorial cup title and went to overtie of game 7 in the OHL championship the following season

Old
08-11-2006, 02:41 AM
vbet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural420 View Post
the only goalies even worth mentioning at this point are kiprusoff and luongo, theodore if he has a good season could be regarded at the same point he was a few years ago. roloson, never. fernandez needs to have a couple stellar seasons to even be considered top 5. both goalies in my mind arent even top 10 in the league.

kiprusoff
luongo
brodeur
lundquist
huet
miller
turco
theodore
vokoun
ward maybe
Don't be calling other goalies crap when you lost a game 7 by a 3-0 score at home. It was by far the ugliest game I have ever seen in the playoffs. Kipper got burned out so I cannot blame it on him.

If Sutter planned on driving a goalie into the ground by overplaying him, he succeeded.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 03:06 AM
natural420*

haha. great point oiler fan.

you are seriously gonna use one game as your argument. nothing you said has anything to do with what anyone else has said. i guess kiprusoff sucks then hey?? sutters a bad coach??calgarys a bad team??.....what other completley retarded thing could you say.

dont get so offended. you guys dont have a top tire goalie. just cause you say you do dosent change anything. he's 4th or 5th best in the division. 3rd best if theodore contiues to suck and roloson has a career season. just get over it

name on of those goalies besides hasek that is whithout a doubt worse then roloson. theres some that are argueable, but in my opinion those are the better goalies

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Jopule Harrfis

Quote:
fernandez needs to have a couple stellar seasons to even be considered top 5...

lundquist
huet
miller
ward maybe
And how many stellar seasons have all of the goalies mentioned here had? Fernandez has been a consistent goaltender in a defensively-minded system for several years. Is he a Top 5 goalie? Likely not. But you can't say he needs stellar seasons, and then say he's worse than 4 goalies who've had 1 good season each (if that... Ward was a playoff phenomenon).

Jopule Harrfis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 09:54 AM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbeav View Post
Best 5 is a stretch. But it will be very difficult to score in the division. Offense will be a premium.

I would be really scared of Calgary if you guy picked up sykora or dumont. I really think you guys are 1 forward away from greatness.
Either that or if one of the Flames young guns (Lombardi, Lundmark, Kobasew) step up their game to the next level...it will have the same effect.

Iginla, Tanguay, Langkow, Huselius is a solid top 4 in the league IMO. The last 2 offensive spots can be filled with Kobasew, Amonte, Friesen...or if Lundmkar/Lombardi hit the next level one of them.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 10:13 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hunter74 View Post
I don't think tge North West Division has the best goaltending. The best goaltender yes(Kiprusoff) but not the top 5 in the NHL.

IMHO there are still question marks with Luongo and wether he is better than he was on a bad team or was he just an average goalie there. He has something to prove, nothing huge but something. Theodore has alot to prove aswell as it almost looks like he may be washed up compared to what he used to be. Maybe Theo isn't elite anymore but just average and on par with Fernandez who outplayed Roloson in Minnesota but we'll see what Rollo does this year with that defense infront of him.

I think the Central Division should be getting alittle more respect than they have as a couple of the weak teams look like they ahve improved by either young guys getting older or adding new players. My impression of their lineups but obviously lineups change dramatically but heres what they might look like on opening night.

Impact players
Rookies
Comeback players

2006-07 Predators Roster (It will be interesting to see how the young defensemen hold up over the year. Great young defensemen but unproven.)
1st) Kariya Arnott Erat
2nd) Sullivan Legwand Fiddler
2nd) Hartnell Vacisek Radulov
4th) Hordichuk Smithson Upshall

1st) Timonen - Hamhuis(RFA)
2nd) Zidlicky - Suter
3rd) Weber - Klein
7th) Parent

1st) Vokoun
2nd) Mason
Spares: Tootoo, Pivko, Classen,Yonkman

2006-07 Blues Roster (This team has upgraded alot and a healthy Jackman is gonna go along way.)
1st) Tkachuk Weight Guerin
2nd) Rucinsky Cajanek Stempniak
2nd) Orszagh McClement Mayers
4th) Johnson Hinote Drake

1st) Brewer McKee
2nd) Backman Jackman
3rd) Wideman Salvador
7th) Walker

1st) Legace
2nd) Bacashihua
Spares: Woywitka, Glumac, Shishkanov Sanford

2006-07 Hawks Roster (Again another team that has improved this off season and should be better as there youth get better.)
1st) Handzus Ruutu(RFA) Havlat
2nd) Bourque Smolinski Vrbata
2nd) St Pierre Arkhipov Sharp
4th) Bochenski Holmqvist Lapoint

1st) Seabrook Aucoin
2nd) Keith Barker
3rd) Cullimore Vandermeer
7th) Richmond, Wisniewski

1st) Khabibulin
2nd) Lalime
Spares: MacDonald, Fraser, Blunden

2006-07 Blue Jackets Roster (Sooner or later Nash, Zherdev and the rest are gonna break out as a team.)
1st) Nash Fedorov Zherdev(RFA)
2nd) Modin Brule Vyborney
2nd) Chimera Svitov Fristchie(RFA)
4th) Shelley Malholtra Balastik(RFA)

1st) Berard Foote
2nd) Klesla Hainsey
3rd) Westcott Johnson
7th) Erickson, Tollefsen

1st) Leclaire
2nd) Conklin
Spares) Picard, Lindstrom, Goertzen

2006-07 Red Wings Roster (I think they have become weaker this year and the divisional competition has become stronger which could be a double whammy for the Wings.)
1st) Zetterberg Datsyuk - Samuelsson
2nd) Holmstrom Lang Hudler(RFA)
2nd) Franzen(RFA) Williams Cleary
4th) Maltby Draper Mowers

1st) Lidstrom Schnieder
2nd) Kronwal Lilja
3rd) Chelios Markov
7th) Lebda, Meech

1st) Hasek
2nd) Osgood
Spares: Kopecky, Filppula, Bootland

I am not saying the Central Division is gonna be the strongest division but they aren't gonna be the easy points they seemed to be last season.

The Pacific Division looks pretty strong. I actually feel as though a couple of the teams in the North West Division became weaker. Oilers lose Pronger Avs lose Blake and Canucks lose alot of players that have yet to be replaced by anyone significant other than Luongo and Mitchelle.

Im penciling Orszagh in for a comeback year with St Louis also.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Shaynsaw

Quote:

kiprusoff
luongo
brodeur
lundquist
huet
miller
turco
theodore
vokoun
ward maybe
Your basing you assumptions on huet and ward on how good they were when they last played but you won't give Roloson the same respect. Why cant you just say Roloson was great the last time he played as a full time number one goalie in the playoffs. As did Huet and Ward. Just cause they are younger they dont have to prove they can do it for a whole season.

I think Roloson has something to prove but based on what I saw in the playoffs he has all the tools he needs.

I think you just have a hate for the Oilers, if Huet, or Ward were on the Oilers you would be saying they were one hit wonders like Raycroft.

Top 5 goalies have to be goalies who have proved that they can be the number one for an entire season. My list would have to be:

Kipper: I hate him but what can I say, awesome.
Broudeur: Nothing to prove at all, hall of fame
Turco
Luongo
Vokoun

Anyone who says Roloson can't ever be a good goaltender and number 1 for the Oilers is kidding themselves. And probly hoping a little bit. If I was playing the Oilers I would miss Conkanen to.

PS. This will be an interseting thread to revisit 30 games into the season.

Last edited by Shaynsaw: 08-11-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Shaynsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navdeep Gill View Post

Thats a huge stretch!!! I agree with Kiprusoff and Luongo, but Theodore isn't even in the top 10....anybody happen to check out his stats last season? As a Habs fan, I can tell you straight up that Theo is rotten. Roloson has always been nothing but a backup goalie. He is good, but not top 5. Fernandez has a long way to go yet too. Rollie and Manny need to have a couple seasons of starting 50+ games before we can put them in the top 5.

Brodeur, Turco, Vokoun, DiPietro are better goalies then Theo, Rollie and Manny.

Northwest is definitely strong as far as goaltending goes, but not quite the strongest in the league by any means.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 11:11 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Brodeur, Turco, Vokoun, DiPietro are better goalies then Theo, Rollie and Manny.
Until Turco proves he can stop a puck in the playoffs, I'm gonna have to disagree with you.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote